• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Topolinos no longer allows more than one entree?

That's how they got into this mess in the first place - some servers offered it most likely when people whined about the pricing - and it sort of became "tribal knowledge" where it was NEVER published as official but just kind of started happening.

As others have said, a few people doing it probably wouldn't make that much difference. But when word got out - and between all the socials you know it does - and it became a thing.
And I've wondered in a set price meal, which "sets" the gratuity left, I wonder if servers found guests tipped them higher if they let them get more than they "were supposed" to get. I tip higher for better service and little extras, especially at Disney where I know they often get "stiffed" or treated terribly by guests.

And I wonder, how do they track it? Does the kitchen realize they are cooking 6 meals for a table that only has 3 people? Is there any way all this extra is being accounted for? Or are the kitchen costs just higher than they expected without the reality check?

And I've wondered in a set price meal, which "sets" the gratuity left, I wonder if servers found guests tipped them higher if they let them get more than they "were supposed" to get. I tip higher for better service and little extras, especially at Disney where I know they often get "stiffed" or treated terribly by guests.

And I wonder, how do they track it. Does the kitchen realize they are cooking 6 meals for a table that only has 3 people? Is there any way all this extra is being accounted for? Or are the kitchen costs just higher than they expected without the reality check?

Higher tips and/or avoiding a "I want to speak to the manager" complaint.

Since the extra was a smaller portion, I'd guess they were able to keep track of the "side orders" they were getting. And while they might not know the exact number of people at a table, they know the number of seats available. If they're consistently getting orders for even 150% of the expected capacity it's going to get obvious real quick that SOMETHING is going on.

If they need to cut costs, I think it is better to remove the extra side rather than reduce food quality or service quality. I still think we will go because of the quality of the character interaction, but we probably won't do it more than one time a trip.

Higher tips and/or avoiding a "I want to speak to the manager" complaint.

Since the extra was a smaller portion, I'd guess they were able to keep track of the "side orders" they were getting. And while they might not know the exact number of people at a table, they know the number of seats available. If they're consistently getting orders for even 150% of the expected capacity it's going to get obvious real quick that SOMETHING is going on.
I have seen so many people reporting what they are getting, aside from a waffle on the side, many seem to be ordering two full entrees. That adds up to plenty of loss.

I have seen so many people reporting what they are getting, aside from a waffle on the side, many seem to be ordering two full entrees. That adds up to plenty of loss.

Yep. And like I said, it's easy for them to see how many people they had sitting down and how many entrees/"extra sides" they had going out and do the math. I suspect my 150% was on the low side as I'm sure there are more than 50% ordering a second entree.

I think if they have a flat $45/person it should be for buffet. Or else charge varied pricing per entree. Not all the entrees on the menu are the same value.
I disagree. They aren't doing anything unusual, they are doing a prix fixe menu. This is how it works.

Example:

Storybook Dining offers a Prime Rib vs "3" Vegetable Platter. Not close to equal.

Be Our Guest offers a File Mignon vs Corn Cake with Veggies. Not close to equal.

That is just how it works, it is up the guest to get the value they want from it.

Like the Dining Plan, all pay the same but many don't get the full value depending on what they order.

The price point for this meal is the location ~ top floor with views & outdoor terrace and restaurant with exceptional servers PLUS it is a character meal. Much of the cost is the characters included.

Buffets usually have lower quality food, and if characters the price is usually higher.

Last edited:

I disagree. They aren't doing anything unusual, they are doing a prix fixe menu. This is how it works.

Example:

Storybook Dining offers a Prime Rib vs "3" Vegetable Platter. Not close to equal.

Be Our Guest offers a File Mignon vs Corn Cake with Veggies. Not close to equal.

That is just how it works, it is up the guest to get the value they want from it.

Like the Dining Plan, all pay the same but many don't get the full value depending on what they order.

The price point for this meal is the location ~ top floor with views and restaurant with exceptional servers PLUS it is a character meal. Much of the cost is the characters included.

Buffest usually have lower quality food, and if characters the price is usually higher.

While you can technically call them a prix fixe in the literal sense because they are a "fixed price," they are not like other prix fixe restaurants where you can choose an appetizer, entree, and dessert for that price. I don't count the pastries because that is basically your "bread for the table." This causes a bit more of an unbalanced value in the entrees.

While you can technically call them a prix fixe in the literal sense because they are a "fixed price," they are not like other prix fixe restaurants where you can choose an appetizer, entree, and dessert for that price. I don't count the pastries because that is basically your "bread for the table." This causes a bit more of an unbalanced value in the entrees.
Prix Fixe means a fixed price, for a complete meal.

Yes, at evening meals it is usually 3 courses. Now Story Book you get no choice of appetizer or dessert. It can vary by location. Disney decides what it offers, the Guests decide whether they go or not.

At breakfast it is often just 2 courses. They do consider the pastries the beginning course for breakfast. If everyone is getting the same pastries then there is no imbalance. And again, like every other prix fixe, like every meal on the Dining Plan, it is up to the guest to decide the value in their entree choices.

If a guest thinks it is overpriced and not of value ~ don't book it. There are plenty of places to get breakfast where you can order what you want.

I just want to know if the ability to order extra "sides" is gone or still around? Please somebody confirm so we can put this debate to bed. If it's a no, it will be a hard pass for me. But I hope others enjoy the new "pre-fixe"!

Isn't the high price here mostly about the character interactions? I don't think there was ever really an intent to serve every guest $45 worth of food. The portions at WDW tend to be huge in the first place so I imagine that there was a lot of food waste from people wanting to just try two different things. I'm not sure a buffet would be the answer since quality usually takes a nosedive!

Isn't the high price here mostly about the character interactions? I don't think there was ever really an intent to serve every guest $45 worth of food. The portions at WDW tend to be huge in the first place so I imagine that there was a lot of food waste from people wanting to just try two different things. I'm not sure a buffet would be the answer since quality usually takes a nosedive!
Character interaction was great. A brand new location on top of a beautiful new hotel was great. What appealed to me the most was the high quality food and the option to order as much as I wanted for $45. It was a fantastic deal, too good to last. I would consider going back if they allowed the option to order at least one more "side". But if that's a no, it's no different than the 3-course prefixe breakfast they have at Aulani for $48, when it used to be an amazing international buffet. This new menu will probably be a good deal for some that never experienced what it used to be. As for me, it's a pass.

I don't understand why Disney is always being held to a different standard. Why does Disney have to always give the guest more than the stated offering? Why do guests feel entitled to get more because they "paid so much"? Don't like the menu, don't go. Don't like the price, don't go. Don't like the seating, don't go. So much complaining that Disney is running their business ... like a business. I'm not being a Disney fanboy, I have to laugh when guests are paying stupid rates for basic hotel rooms yet complain about not getting two entrees (if it happens). When guests pay $100 plus for a sad dessert party buffet but somehow it's worth it ... but not getting a side waffle you can make at home is the end! :rolleyes:

Exactly. And there is also a big difference, at least for me, being served at my table instead of me having to help myself at the buffet. I am willing to pay more to avoid the Golden Corral. It is also a lovely restaurant with lovely views.

Last edited:
The real tragedy is ‘Ohana and Topolino’s being the same price :rotfl: I did both breakfasts two days apart last month and it’s astounding that they cost the same. The food at ‘Ohana is basically a quick service bounty platter and it doesn’t even come with bacon (maybe if you ask?)! I’ll miss it if extra side entrees go away at Topolino's but it’s still a major deal compared to ‘Ohana. I didn’t need the extra food so much as it was fun to try a cheaper item I would never order (such as waffles) if I could only have one entree. Boma wins in the food department for me but the price is creeping up so the characters really just cost $10 extra. I know people say these breakfasts are steep in price but I usually get a later reservation and skip lunch, and only need snacks for dinner, despite being a big eater!

I think if they have a flat $45/person it should be for buffet. Or else charge varied pricing per entree. Not all the entrees on the menu are the same value.

You could say this for any prix fixe or even buffet. They all have entrees that would be less value than another. But you still pay the same price. That’s what you get a prix fixe meal.

See I would consider the pastries equal to your appetizer or dessert. Especially since many restaurants have stopped offering “bread for the table”.

The real tragedy is ‘Ohana and Topolino’s being the same price :rotfl: I did both breakfasts two days apart last month and it’s astounding that they cost the same. The food at ‘Ohana is basically a quick service bounty platter and it doesn’t even come with bacon (maybe if you ask?)! I’ll miss it if extra side entrees go away at Topolino's but it’s still a major deal compared to ‘Ohana. I didn’t need the extra food so much as it was fun to try a cheaper item I would never order (such as waffles) if I could only have one entree. Boma wins in the food department for me but the price is creeping up so the characters really just cost $10 extra. I know people say these breakfasts are steep in price but I usually get a later reservation and skip lunch, and only need snacks for dinner, despite being a big eater!
They have turkey bacon you have to ask for. I got it back in December and it was really good. But agree the overall food there isn’t that great

I probably should have said this differently. What I was trying to say is that if they had a price per entree on the menu instead of a fixed price overall, I think it would take away the question of getting extra food. If you want additional food, you pay more. I didnt mean to question the overall value of the experience. We still plan to go.

Topolino's brunch is probably one of our favourite places to eat on property. I really hope they don't make this change. But if they do, I hope I still somehow have the option of adding a side waffle for less than $45. That waffle is amazing, but there is no way I'd order it as my main.

I probably should have said this differently. What I was trying to say is that if they had a price per entree on the menu instead of a fixed price overall, I think it would take away the question of getting extra food. If you want additional food, you pay more. I didnt mean to question the overall value of the experience. We still plan to go.
If the menu went a la carte then they would remove the characters ...
... then it just becomes another restaurant with a breakfast menu.

Given it is a CHARACTER meal with higher quality food in a lovely place, they have justified the price compared to other Character breakfasts. If the amount of food is not sufficient then guests need to go to one of the AYCTE or Buffet Character meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter