Top of the World

erikawolf2004

DIS Veteran
Can someone give me more info on Top of the World. What time do more people get there? If we have family staying with us in a villa, 9 total can we all go?

Thanks, Erika

Everyone staying in the same room can go, but the member must be present.

The lounge opens at 5pm, I think. If you’re asking, “what time do we need to show up to get a good spot for fireworks viewing,” then that depends on a lot of factors; what constitutes a “good spot,” when are the fireworks that night, what time of year are you going, and is there a special show that evening.

Good spots are along the front of the viewing area facing Magic Kingdom along the concrete wall. Children and short adults cannot see the castle either unless they are over 5 feet. Further back unless you are over 6 feet tall you cannot see the castle. I would be at the viewing area at least 15 minutes before the fireworks scheduled time. Actually I would go up 45 minutes before, get a drink and keep an eye on the viewing area to get a spot. During the week it usually isn't that crowded except during the DVC busy period, October through the Disney Marathon weekend in January and holidays where WDW is crowded.

BTW, the kids would be able to see the view of the fireworks better from the north elevator lobbies on any floor 8 and above. There is no music though. Some watch it on the bridge but they do restrict the number of people on the bridge if it gets too crowded. And it can be very windy on the bridge. Others watch it from the parking lot.

Have you considered getting a theme park view 2BR?

Good spots are along the front of the viewing area facing Magic Kingdom along the concrete wall. Children and short adults cannot see the castle either unless they are over 5 feet. Further back unless you are over 6 feet tall you cannot see the castle. I would be at the viewing area at least 15 minutes before the fireworks scheduled time. Actually I would go up 45 minutes before, get a drink and keep an eye on the viewing area to get a spot. During the week it usually isn't that crowded except during the DVC busy period, October through the Disney Marathon weekend in January and holidays where WDW is crowded.

BTW, the kids would be able to see the view of the fireworks better from the north elevator lobbies on any floor 8 and above. There is no music though. Some watch it on the bridge but they do restrict the number of people on the bridge if it gets too crowded. And it can be very windy on the bridge. Others watch it from the parking lot.

Have you considered getting a theme park view 2BR?

We will be going next spring break. We won't be staying at Bay Lake, but will be on property. We are going on a Disney Cruise the next day and thought it would be fun to see the fireworks from The Top of the World since we won't be going to the parks that trip. We will plan on going at least an hr before, get a drink and dessert, then watch the fireworks. Thank you for your reply, we have never gone to Top of the World.

The lounge opens at 5pm, I think. If you’re asking, “what time do we need to show up to get a good spot for fireworks viewing,” then that depends on a lot of factors; what constitutes a “good spot,” when are the fireworks that night, what time of year are you going, and is there a special show that evening.

Was there in early March
(8 of us walked over from MK). Website said it opened at 5:00 but we got there about 5:45 and they told us the opening time is not until 6:00.

Make sure you bring your DVC member card with you and have your magic band. The lounge can get crowded in the hour before the fireworks so getting a table or chair at the bar can be tough, but I have never had an issue finding space outside along with wall.

We were just there last month. The lounge opened at 6:00.

They had a newer food menu than the last time we went - it has been a few years. We weren't crazy about the appetizers (chips & guac, flatbreads) but thought the layered chocolate cake was great!

I loved going to the Top of the World when it was Wishes. Back then, the appetizers were yummy and the fireworks were great. Happily Ever After is great, but even though they are great from a far, I feel like I’m missing out by not seeing the castle projections.

I would say you could show up as late as 8:45PM and still see the fireworks. You have to allow time to get up the elevator, and there may be a line of people ahead of you.

But if you want to go to the Lounge, I would show up no later than 8PM. This will give you time to order drinks and appetizers, enjoy some conversation, and settle your bill before walking outside to see the fireworks. You could also enjoy the lounge after the fireworks, but it may be crowded at that point.

If you go at a non-Fireworks time, you can easily get in any time between 6PM and closing. My daughter and her boyfriend went 15 minutes before closing, and they did not even have to show a membership card. (My daughter does not even have a membership card.)

We really enjoyed TOTW last fall. We arrived about an hour before fireworks and were able to ge tthe last table. Had a decadent chocolate cake and drinks. when you go outside to watch the fireworks, they put a sign on your table that this table is already taken by guests watching fireworks. A very nice touch.
As others said, you need your DVC card and magic band.
Enjoy.

We have never had a problem with viewing the fireworks on the outside deck, even when it is busy. Just don't have expectations that you are viewing the castle projections, even along the wall only the colors are visible.

Is it just those in the same room? My parents will be in a separate studio but it's also on our points. If we all go over to the lounge together, can everyone come in? I think they'd like it, and I've never been.

I had no idea the lounge opened up so early. I need to take advantage of that next time.

Is it just those in the same room? My parents will be in a separate studio but it's also on our points. If we all go over to the lounge together, can everyone come in? I think they'd like it, and I've never been.
Technically, they are not on your reservation, but on a separate reservation.

That is a question I was wondering. They are still your guests. I would think if you are accompanying them they could go up to TOTWL. I doubt if they could get up there by themselves. In the past we have taken family staying in separate room to TOTWL. But the wording has changed to "on your reservation" so that could really change. I would call DVC and ask.

Technically, they are not on your reservation, but on a separate reservation.

Even though I made the reservation with my points and I still control the reservation? Interesting distinction, since I still consider them my guests. Thanks for the info so I can plan accordingly. Maybe a visit the day they aren't there.

That is a question I was wondering. They are still your guests. I would think if you are accompanying them they could go up to TOTWL. I doubt if they could get up there by themselves. In the past we have taken family staying in separate room to TOTWL. But the wording has changed to "on your reservation" so that could really change. I would call DVC and ask.

The wording changed? Gotta admit I didn't pay that close of attention. But like you, I still consider them my guests. Not rented points. In fact, it's my Christmas present to them to invite them as my guests. Oh well.

Even though I made the reservation with my points and I still control the reservation? Interesting distinction, since I still consider them my guests. Thanks for the info so I can plan accordingly. Maybe a visit the day they aren't there.
Disney has a habit of using vague terms in their policies. I suspect they’d allow your parents to accompany you to the lounge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter