top 25 coaster list

fboy9287

DIS Veteran
where can I find the top 25 coasters in the world list for this year? I want to see what I have left to do.

We recently watched a special on the Travel Channel about the 10 best wooden and 10 best steel rollercoasters in the world. I can't remember everything :rolleyes: , but at least 2 or 3 of the best coasters are at Cedar Point in Ohio. We have passes at Worlds of Fun (Kansas City) that are good at Cedar Point, too, and my teenage coaster-maniac son is begging to go to Cedar Point!
None of the Orlando coasters made their list! (I thought Dueling Dragons would, for sure!).

I know magnum is number 1 and The force is #2 and raptor is #5 but other than that i have no clue

We were at Busch Gardens Williamsburg yesterday and while waiting to get off the Alpengheist, some kids in the row ahead of us said *That was the best coaster I ever rode*. I looked at DH and said *They never rode Dueling Dragons* :D

Two of the top ten wooden roller coasters are located at Holiday World, near Santa Claus, Indiana (yes, that's really the name of the town!) I just rode them on Thursday. :D The coasters are: The Raven and The Legend. The Legend is the newest, and it was voted #1 for the year 2000. I liked it the best!

we just returned from our first trip to Cedar Point. Unfortunatlly I had a terrible headache so I only did about 1/2 the coasters. I love wooden coasters and gemini was great but the other wooden coaster was the best ever ( I can't remeber the name now). Magnum was great but by the time we made it around to millinium I was felt too bad. Well at least we go through Ohio every yr. We will definatly have to plan on CP again. I cna't beleive it took us this long to go. I never really considered going until seeing it on the travel channel. DH had alwaaaays said it was better than six flags (over GA) but he hadn't been there in 25 yrs so I figured he had no idea what he was talking about. On travel channel last night they rated US/IOA as the no 1 thrill ride park in the world and Cedar Point was no. 2

The other wooden roller coasters at CP are Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Mean Streak, and Blue Streak. Mean Streak was way too rough. Blue Streak was a lot of fun and had short lines!

grumpyandbashful

I'm sending my kids to stay with the grandparents for a week. They live in KC and were thinking of taking the kids to WOF. Can you give me some tips on doing this park (what is good/not). My kids love coasters, water rides, the gamut.

Anything else in the KC area you would recommend for a couple of young teenage girls?

I don't know who puts together these lists for the travel/discovery channel. They always have some odd selections.

The wooden one I loved was the one that is off by itself across the railroad tracks and I think they said the longest ride in the parks. I think we did one of the others also. I really didn't feel well so the whole day is kind of blurry.

Theres a new coaster thats probably too new to have made the list. Its located in Japan and i think its opening jusy 22nd. It's called Dodonpa. It goes 0-107 in 1.8 seconds i think. Go to www.rcdb.com and search for coaster name Dodonpa . Also check out a new wooden one in kings island (ohio) called Son of Beast. It is the worlds tallest, fastest, and second longest woodie and it has an inversion.

Hi,

Just to mention that here in the UK, the worlds first 10 loop coaster is due to be built at Thorpe park.

Also, at Alton Towers, a new coaster is in construction although few details known yet although it may be called

Here is a link to progress so far: -

New UK coaster Secret Weapon 5 - SW5

Discovery Channel on-line poll just wrapped up and named Incredible Hulk #1 steel coaster on the planet - with Dueling Dragons named #8. Go IOA! These will be featured on an early-2002 television special.

Add this to IOA's recent naming of #1 Thrill Park by TLC!

Next target: 2001 Applause Winner by IAAPA !!!!

CoasterFEV, too bad Hulk won't win next year, 0-107 is a little bit more intense than 0-40.

You're thinking of S&S Sport's new ThrustAir coaster being built in Japan? It's a larger (and faster) version of Kings Dominion's 2001 coaster Hypersonic XLC.

True, the coaster will have one helluva launch - plus one fantastic moment of air - but the ride is over before you know it. Similar to Oblivion (previously discussed on this board) at Alton Towers - it's a one trick pony.

The current ride time on Hypersonic XLC is 16 seconds from launch to brakes. It launches 0 to 80mph in 1.8 seconds. It did not make the Top 10 steel coaster list.

Coincidentally, the other coaster you speak of, Son of Beast, was named #2 on the wood coaster list.

HEY YOU THINK THOSE COASTERS ARE GOOD WELL COME TO SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE FOR NOT ONLY 1 BUT 3 PARKS. ALSO GREAT ADVENTURE IS THE NUMBER ONE COASTER PARK IN THE COUNTRY. LIKE THEY SAY SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE THE MOTHER OF ALL COASTER PARKS. SPEAKING OF COASTERS COME RIDE NITRO. THE TALLEST AND STEEPEST COASTER IN THE COUNTRY. SO DON'T HATE ON GREAT ADVENTURE THE MOTHER OF ALL COASTER PARKS :D :bounce: :smooth:

I just wanted to let you know that I have ridden all the coasters at IoA, Cedar Point, and Kings Island, and Holiday World. Also Kentucky Kingdom can be thrown in there. And I must say, the Hulk and Dueling Dragons are good, but when compared to Chang at Kentucky Kingdom or Magnum/Mil.Force at Cedar Point they are obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I liked the IoA coasters, but they are way too tame for me. Also, Beast and Son of Beast at Kings Island, and Mean Streak at Cedar Point kick the crap out of any other wodden coaster on this planet. I am sick of hearing about the raven and legend. I have ridden them hundreds of times, but no other coaster can leave you with bruises(Beast) or rip tears from your eyes(Son of Beast) because you are traveling so fast! And not to forget the Mantis and Raptor at Cedar Point also. These also kick major butt. I am so sick of all of these stupid shows on TV rating coasters. I think they rate them based more on historical significance than on the ride itself. :mad:

I agree these coaster shows do have some strange selection processes. I assume they are influenced by factors other than pure ranking (ability to film, mix of types/locations to not boar the average viewer, etc). Still fun to see some of these beauties in action and it sure whets one's appetite.

I think IOA did a good job in selecting coasters that fit the park. I don't think the average IOA customer is looking for the most extreme thrill they can get. Remember we are talking about a fair number of families sharing vacation time with Disney. They are both top of the line coasters, that are very fun to ride and provide something different for their breed of coaster.

Rating coasters is pretty subjective. Unlike ssgoku I don't enjoy being abused on a ride. If I'm thinking about being banged around it takes me out of the ride itself and detracts from the experience. Hence, fewer woodies on my top 25 list.

I'd put Raptor and DD in about the same class. Neither are the best inverteds I've ridden, but both are very good. I think the Hulk holds it own with others of it's type (including floorless models) and to me is better than the standups like Mantis.

MF is great, but I was very disappointed with Magnum. There are a number of hypers that I would ride again before Magnum.

Just goes to show how varied the opinions can be. As I said, when you stop to thing about their demographics, I think the IOA guys made some good choices.

I didn't enjoy riding Magnum. The bunny hops flung me into the lapbar and it was kind of painful. MF was very smooth, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter