Top 20 DVC Tips from a 20 year member

Love this list. Just one question why better to borrow than bank?
I think so that you never have to worry about not being able to use your points and losing them if you can’t travel in a particular year. COVID was a perfect example of this. If you were always banking forward it was use them or lose them.

I have been a DVC member 20 years and here is my Top-20 Tips for Disney Vacation Club.

1. Buy the location you love most - if you plan 7 to 11 months in advance
2. Buy the cheapest option (combination of price and annual dues) - if you plan 7 months or less
3. Do not stress over the use year as your travel plans will change in the future
4. Cheapest does not mean lowest price per point, as the annual dues is usually the largest factor
5. Pay cash – but if you finance, then get the lowest rate, shortest term, and pay it off quickly
6. Pay annual dues on credit card and get reward points
7. Use all your points and do not waste one point
8. It is much better to borrow points than bank them
9. Enjoy DVC membership and have fun and bring family and friends with you
10. Do not charge family or friends for stays with you, let them buy dinners, etc.
11. Forget about comparing DVC to the S&P 500 as it is not an investment
12. If you do consider DVC an investment, then use 3% ROI as a benchmark as this is real estate
13. Rent excess points when you are not using them for $10 over annual dues
14. Control your own destiny and rent your own points and do not use brokers
15. Try to stay at every DVC at least once and book new resorts when they first open
16. All DVC resorts are awesome, and my favorite is the one I am currently staying at
17. Use DVC points to stay at DVC resorts and minimize using them for anything else
18. Be active on DVC social media sites and keep up to date on DVC news
19. The RTU of 50 years ownership is a long time and who knows how long you will be a member
20. Be careful when willing DVC to family as DVC has annual dues requirements
This is awesome! Thanks. I agree with all of it. One question. So, really, what is your favorite resort?!

Just read on another page that you have already answered this! BLT and VGF

Last edited:
Regarding #12, we bought 300 BCV points in 2002. If we sold them today, we could get about 2 1/2 times what we paid. Don't know how that would work out as an investment, but even factoring in dues, we're making out "like bandits".

Well, you have to factor in commissions and selling fees, but yes, many people that bought 20 years ago are doing really well. Technically I bought an OKW resale contract for $30pp in 2009 and that is now worth 3x-4x what I paid, but those are outliers compared to the vast majority of people that bought and now can sell for a "modest" profit. No matter what, no other timeshare I know of goes up in value for most buyers.

Love this list. Just one question why better to borrow than bank?

It is just that you will never get caught with your pants down....I am a member of the "use every point club" and never waste any points. I do realize some members have 50-100 points and use banking and borrowing, but as a general rule, I have easily burned all my current years points often before day 1 of the start of the use year. If you manage your points using current use year, that is also fine, I am only posting what works for me. I never sweated during covid shut downs as most of my current year points were already used.

This is awesome! Thanks. I agree with all of it. One question. So, really, what is your favorite resort?!
Just read on another page that you have already answered this! BLT and VGF

Yes, VGF > BLT > Aulani

In reality, I love them all, but those three I love the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter