Toothsome - shut down

Here is an interesting website that shows the number of violations encountered on inspections. All inspections are listed. A bit eye opening for sure!!! Yak and Yeti (my favourite WDW restaurant) had 15 violations and received a warning in 2016 including the dreaded, "Intermediate - Accumulation of black mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine. Inside both ice machines". Ohana in 2017 had 18 warnings. Cape May Cafe 13 violations in 2017 and had to be reinspected after receiving a warning. Sanaa in 2017 had 33 infractions including bugs. I think maybe I'll eat in my room from now on. ;)

Just enter the restaurant name and it will show up with how many violations on the latest inspection. Click on the restaurant name and it will list all inspections and the violations.

http://data.tallahassee.com/restaurant-inspections/search/?county=orange&tsv=

Searching a random off the top fo my head sample of WDW and UOR restaurants, I see they all have various violations. Even V&A had some.

I don't know if this is just normal business-as-usual for restaurants (and this report about Toothsome's is just sensationalized for today's news cycle) or what...

Searching a random off the top fo my head sample of WDW and UOR restaurants, I see they all have various violations. Even V&A had some.

I don't know if this is just normal business-as-usual for restaurants (and this report about Toothsome's is just sensationalized for today's news cycle) or what...

It’s definitely gross but if you never ate at a restaurant that had been sited in the past, you’d probably never eat out. Not to undersell how serious it is and there’s no excuse for lazy kitchen practices that lead to mold in the ice, but it happens.

I’m a overzealous clean freak and even my home kitchen got an ant problem this summer...I’m not selling food so obviously it’s not as serious but it can be hard to keep bugs away from that much food (I would guess even harder in Florida). NOT SAYING ITS OKAY or even saying it’s the norm, but unfortunately none of the places we eat are infallible.

Seems that this is the case for sure.

Ugh, my favorite restaurant, Bubba Gump, had 43 violations in 2017. Thankfully, no rodents. Just a few insects over the bar, which is pretty standard for any restaurant anywhere. It's nasty, but fruit flies at a bar are as common as beer taps.

Another of my favorites, Mythos, had a tough visit in 2016:

Inspector's Note
  • Basic - Employee wearing jewelry other than a plain ring on their hands/arms while preparing food. Watch. On server cutting bread. **Warning**
  • Basic - Ice buildup in reach-in freezer. Ice cream freezer at front line. **Warning**
  • Basic - In-use tongs stored on equipment door handle between uses. **Warning**
  • Basic - Soil residue build-up on nonfood-contact surface. Exterior of cooler next to handsink at front cookline. **Warning**
  • Basic - Soiled reach-in cooler gaskets. Double door cooler near sandwich press. **Warning**
  • High Priority - All potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) foods in reach-in cooler cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Double door cooler near sandwich press: creme brulee, 48 F; prepped sandwiches, 48 F; cooked rice, 54 F; in unit less than 3 hours. corrective action taken: product ken to walk in cooler for temperature recovery. **Warning**
  • High Priority - Employee failed to wash hands before putting on gloves to work with food. Servers donning gloves to cut bread. **Warning**
  • High Priority - Employee handled soiled dishes or utensils and then handled clean dishes or utensils without washing hands. Dishwasher. **Repeat Violation** **Warning**
  • High Priority - Employee touching ready-to-eat food with their bare hands - food was not being heated as a sole ingredient to 145 degrees F or immediately added to other ingredients to be cooked/heated to the minimum required temperature to allow bare hand contact. Establishment has no approved Alternative Operating Procedure. Employee handled cut tomatoes with barehands while garnishing sandwich. **Repeat Violation** **Warning**
  • High Priority - Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area. 2 small flies in ware washing area. **Warning**
  • High Priority - Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. potato salad 47 F; cut tomatoes, 52 F; crab cake 47 F; hummus, 62 F; slaw, 70 F; held less than two hours on inadequate ice bath. corrective action taken: ice added. Milk, 47 F; in wait station cooler. corrective action taken: product taken to walk in cooler for temperature recovery. **Warning**
  • High Priority - Thermotape failed to turn black to indicate the sanitization temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit was achieved on the dish surface. Discontinue use of dishmachine for sanitizing and set up manual sanitization until dishmachine is repaired. **Warning**
  • Intermediate - Cutting board(s) stained/soiled. At cookline. **Repeat Violation** **Warning**
  • Intermediate - Paper towel dispenser at handwash sink not working/unable to dispense paper towels. At handsink next to sandwich press. **Warning**
You’re killing me! We ate here too on our trip last week! I can’t believe we’re still alive!
I’m packing pb&j next trip lol!

You’re killing me! We ate here too on our trip last week! I can’t believe we’re still alive!
I’m packing pb&j next trip lol!

You should probably check out those peanut butter and jelly factories. Particularly the peanut butter one. I hear they really have problems keeping vermin out.

I think it is best just not to think about it.

I still cannot bring myself to buy lettuce in a bag, but in my defense, people have died from eating it.

I don't think anyone died from eating at Toothsome.

"Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is our favorite place to eat at City Walk".-Me
Can't wait to go back next year!

My advice - just don't think about it. Ostrich in the sand time. Otherwise you literally cannot enjoy dining at a single restaurant anywhere in Florida. Take it from someone who's lived in the state four plus decades. There are NO inspection reports posted for guests. And if you look up anyplace online, odds are it will have had unsavory violations - from fancy chains to wonderful little mom & pop spots.

On the other hand, whatever unappetizing "organic" critters may be crawling or flying about (which are probably considered a delicacy in some country lol,) they're definitely a lot less dangerous to ingest than the toxic pesticides used liberally on fruits and veggies, plus the antibiotics in meats, the yucky (technical term) germs from the average bathroom door handle, stair railing, menu you're holding, tableside ketchup/mustard bottle, etc, etc.

It's a dirty, messy, grubby world! To me, life's more fun if I just try to let some of this stuff go. Anyone remember the FRIENDS episode when Phoebe dated the food inspection guy - and he closed down all their fave spots? :rotfl2:

My advice - just don't think about it. Ostrich in the sand time. Otherwise you literally cannot enjoy dining at a single restaurant anywhere in Florida. Take it from someone who's lived in the state four plus decades. There are NO inspection reports posted for guests. And if you look up anyplace online, odds are it will have had unsavory violations - from fancy chains to wonderful little mom & pop spots.

On the other hand, whatever unappetizing "organic" critters may be crawling or flying about (which are probably considered a delicacy in some country lol,) they're definitely a lot less dangerous to ingest than the toxic pesticides used liberally on fruits and veggies, plus the antibiotics in meats, the yucky (technical term) germs from the average bathroom door handle, stair railing, menu you're holding, tableside ketchup/mustard bottle, etc, etc.

It's a dirty, messy, grubby world! To me, life's more fun if I just try to let some of this stuff go. Anyone remember the FRIENDS episode when Phoebe dated the food inspection guy - and he closed down all their fave spots? :rotfl2:

Or the Seinfeld germaphobe episode:rotfl: What doesn't kill us, make us stronger;)

The ice maker thing - for anyone who knows bars - that is a common issue and you really need to keep on it - the fact that they are not is bad management and inexperienced staff

As for the bugs - it is Florida - but still they need to keep on it.

All these issues are common to many places and although I am disappointed - it is not unusual.

With all the money they put into that place (I assume) and how busy it is - they need to really address this going forward - hopefully they get it.

I know I will be back there in a few weeks - and I know I'll be checking the ice in my drink - but the alcohol will handle that

EEEEkkkkkk!!! :crazy2:

That being said - the last time we were there, the food and experience was fantastic! We will definitely go back, and I will definitely not share this information with the family. :rolleyes1

To draw a parallel: a week and a half after 9/11 I had to take a flight to Australia. I remember having a chat with my wife (she was 6 months pregnant at the time). She was (understandably) a little freaked out (in truth I wasn't thrilled myself - but I couldn't let on). Like I said to her, "if there was EVER a safe time to fly, it's going to be now." I would suggest after the restaurant opens, there will never be a better time (cleanliness wise) to eat there.

That being said, I hope that standard holds up ... selfishly ... at the very least until we're there in 10+ months. :P

Nope I won't have a problem going back either.......I plan on having a good drink and nice meal on my next visit in about 3 weeks :thumbsup2
I won't either for our trip in mid October. In fact, DD10 just last night mentioned how she can't wait to order the chocolate french toast again. I, of course, will not be mentioning anything about this whole debacle and will promptly order my usual Revolutionary Old Fashioned. That thing will kill anything within 5 feet... :drinking1

The violations at the restaurants won’t scare me away

I plan to eat at them on my next trip

I live in Georgia and get bugs, roaches, lizards in my house at times

I notice them when the cats are hunting one down
Ick...
One cat bit the head off a lizard in the house yesterday

I have the house professionally sprayed inside and out each quarter but still get the occasional critter inside

Lots of critters dwell in the South and Orlando eateries do the best they can to eliminate all bugs and critters

i want to address the ice machine. it is common to find mold in these machines and drink stations. it's quite a common violation in most restaurants. yes they should have a daily maintenance checklist and cleaning these machines should be at the top. they should be taking the nozzles off of the drink stations and cleaning with brushes and sanitizers. i wish i never came across the article, because just knowing about it, i wouldn't be comfortable sitting there. im bummed, but know myself and it would bother me. i will choose another restaurant and not look at the health inspection and blindly enjoy my meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter