Too Many Meds, how to transport to Disney

I always take the prescriptions with me and a copy of a letter for the injections I get from the medical company that supply them. I am from the UK so don't know if all that is needed but I bring it just in case!

@Starwind -- From a fellow CDN traveler with multiple medical supplies to transport : Which airline do you use and is this information on their website (i want all my ducks in a row) AND most important, do you know if this covers large bottles of liquid OTC meds? Hubby needs to have Kaopectate
handy and while it's sold in the states, the active ingredients there is only bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto) which doesn't cut it. I've been sticking it in the checked bags wrapped in towels and stuffed in a freezer bag and not only is it heavy, but i worry about it getting cold! I would love to be able to free up some of our carry-on space from the numerous bottles of OTC meds (which i also keep in smaller manufacturer original bottles) since i keep all of those in the cabin with us.

Thanks for your help :)

I prefer to fly WestJet, but with my meds bag have also flown Air Canada, Delta, and American Airlines. American Airlines was where the employee didn't know their policy, but a co-worker corrected them.

Because I have severe food allergies (including peanut and tree nut) and because I travel with a nebulizer, I have to contact the airline medical desk or customer service (depends on the airline) anyway, and always make a point of confirming that the medical bag is fine and does not count towards carry-on.

But there is info in a combination of places: airline website, CATSA, TSA, Department of Transportation (both countries), etc. I travel with electronic and printed copies of all the relevant policies just in case I encounter problems.

OP: to your question re: OTC meds, yes OTC liquid meds are covered. ALL medication, Rx and OTC, liquid or not. For liquids you DEFINITELY want them in original labeled bottles if at all possible because if they are over the 3-1-1 rule you will be claiming the "medical liquids" exemption to get them through airport security and it is incredibly easier when it is in the original bottle with the original labels.

So, some sources of information:

Allegiant Airlines: https://www.allegiantair.com/other-special-needs-passengers

In accordance with DOT guidelines, there is no fee to transport medical equipment for passenger use.

Per the Department of Transportation (DOT):

"The limit of one carry-on bag and one personal bag (e.g., purse or briefcase) for each traveler does not apply to medical supplies and/or assistive devices (including service animals and their equipment). Passengers with disabilities generally may carry medical equipment, medications, and assistive devices on board the aircraft."

For more information, please visit: www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/20011029.pdf

and

The U.S Government provides regulations to ensure nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in version of 14 CFR Part 382 (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=72a6cc452f31c6ac7ea0c8cc68b9f782&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr382_main_02.tpl ), the rules implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).

Government of Canada, Traveling with Medications: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

When travelling abroad with prescription or over-the-counter medication:

• The limit of two carry-on bags does not apply to medical supplies, equipment and mobility aids.
  • Pack all medications in your carry-on baggage in their original, labelled containers to facilitate airport security and customs screening. Prescription medication is exempted from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.
Government of Canada: What to Pack: https://travel.gc.ca/air/what-to-pack (search medication)

Non-prescription liquid and gel-based medication
Carry On Baggage: Yes
Checked Baggage: Yes

Essential non-prescription liquid or gel-based medications include items such as contact-lens/eye solution, cough syrup/spray, gel capsules or liquid-filled capsules (e.g. ibuprofen). You are allowed to carry these items in volumes greater than 100 ml (3.4 oz.) in your carry-on baggage. These liquids and gels must be declared to the Screening Officer separately.To facilitate screening, CATSA recommends that the medication be properly labelled (professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer’s name or pharmaceutical label). See Pill separator listing for more information.Documentation to support your medical needs or condition is not required; however, if you feel that it would help ease your screening, it should be presented to the screening officer along with your medically necessary items.

Delta Airline: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

Medical Supplies & Equipment
Medical supplies or equipment are allowed on board as additional items (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/excess.html) at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, as an "additional carry-on item", as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits. If your supplies/equipment are included in a larger bag that contains other non-essential items, that bag will not be considered a free item, and will be subject to normal baggage fees.

Delta Airline: copy of US DOT 14 CFR Part 382: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/ACAA_Final_Rule_May_2008.pdf

quote from the DOT document: "

382.121 What mobility aids and other
assistive devices may passengers with a
disability bring into the aircraft cabin?
Passengers may bring manual, but not
electric wheelchairs, other mobility aids
(e.g.,canes, including those used by
blind passengers), and other assistive
devices (e.g.,POCs), as well as prescription medications and any
medical devices needed to administer
them (e.g.,syringes, auto-injectors), as
long as they comply with applicable
safety, security and hazardous materials
rules. These devices and aids cannot be
counted against the airline’s carry-on limits

US Department of Transportation, Disability page: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/disability

TSA, Traveling with Medication: http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

Medication in liquid form is allowed in carry-on bags in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the start of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container.

TSA: Disabilities and Medical Conditions: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

You may bring medically necessary liquids, medications and creams in excess of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in your carry-on bag. Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag.

US DOT: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/new-horizons-information-air-traveler-disability

CATSA: Carry-on or Checked: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/carry-or-checked

What else can I bring as carry-on that does not count towards my maximum?
medication or medical equipment (oxygen tank, doctor’s bag, CPAP machine)

CATSA: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/medication-and-medical-items

WestJet: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/baggage/carry-on see "additional items":

In addition to the carry-on baggage allowance, the following items are also permitted:
Medical devices

Approved battery-powered portable oxygen concentrators for personal use may be used inflight.
We may accept irregularly sized approved medical devices which exceed the carry-on baggage allowance, if the device can be stowed in an approved location without exceeding the weight limit for the most appropriate area in the aircraft, and it will not obstruct access to safety equipment, exits or the aisle. In all cases, acceptance of these items is at the sole discretion of WestJet.
More details can be found in restricted items.

Medical syringes or needles

Will only be accepted when accompanied with medication that is professionally/pharmaceutically labelled with the guest's name.

Medication

In the original labelled container

Mobility devices

Examples include braces, canes, crutches and walkers

But note:

Travelling with WestJet Encore

Even though the turboprop is big on style, there is less space available for carry-on baggage. As such, you may be asked to check carry-on items even if they fit in the carry-on sizing device before you board the aircraft. If your carry-on items contain essential items such as medication, laptops, keys or fragile objects, please ensure these valuables travel with you in the cabin as carry-on items that are checked prior to boarding will not be available until after the aircraft has arrived and taxied to the terminal.

Air Canada: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/carry-on.html#faq:0-1-*

The following items are allowed at all times, in addition to your carry-on allowance:

Mobility aid (e.g. braces, cane, crutches, walker, communication device*) or other special need item,
Container carrying life sustaining items,
Medication in its original, labelled container,
Battery-powered medical equipment (such as CPAP and sleep apnea devices) and Personal Oxygen Concentrators,
Cremated remains**,
Syringe or needle for personal medical use (e.g. Epipen). See Exception in
'Prohibited Items' section below.

View detailed information on our Customers with special needs page. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/specialneeds.html

(sorry about all the bold at the end, despite me deselecting bold it kept it on anyway. very annoying)

SW

Note: any medical liquids not in your 3-1-1 bag and/or exceeding the 3-1-1 size rules must be declared to security (CATSA, TSA) before you go through.

What I do is I have the medical liquids in their own bag, separate from other items. Ziploc works fine and helps protect and save from leaks :-) I ask the security person telling me which line to go in "I have medical liquids over the 3-1-1 rule, do i need to take them out of my bag?" and then follow what they tell me (yes or no). When whatever bag with the medical liquids is ready to go into the x-ray machine, i tell the security person there that the bag contains medical liquids.

Most of the time, after it comes our of the xray machine, they want to swab it, search it, etc. I say "no problem, but could you please use new gloves when you do?" and they always do. I have never had them want to open a sealed container, but if they did I would ask they do not (I bring new unopened containers, so they are still sterile) and if they could please use alternate screening methods. Only if there was no choice would I consent to them breaking the seal. But so far I have never had them go beyond a visual inspection, swab, and putting each closed bottle in a special machine they have.
SW

@Starwind This is PERFECT! Thanks a bunch :) We're travelling with WestJet this time so i will be sure to print out the information you've provided.

As far as the liquids, we always take brand new bottles with the seal still in tact and if it ends up getting opened we tend to pitch it to avoid a hassle since it's all just OTC and we can do without it for a short period of time . We carry small quantities that fit in our 3-1-1 ziplocs for those "OMG i need it NOW" emergencies and have never had problems with that (oddly the only one ever questions was a small bottle i had filled with dish-soap to wash the measuring cups!!)

Would the bag still be considered "Medical" if we stuffed the extra band-aids etc that we always seem to need as well as the uber -extra strength Sunscreen hubby needs or should i stuff those in the checked bags? Thanks again, so glad you are able to answer this so thoroughly and
completely sympathize with the food allergies that make travel so much more *special*!!!

@Starwind This is PERFECT! Thanks a bunch :) We're travelling with WestJet this time so i will be sure to print out the information you've provided.

As far as the liquids, we always take brand new bottles with the seal still in tact and if it ends up getting opened we tend to pitch it to avoid a hassle since it's all just OTC and we can do without it for a short period of time . We carry small quantities that fit in our 3-1-1 ziplocs for those "OMG i need it NOW" emergencies and have never had problems with that (oddly the only one ever questions was a small bottle i had filled with dish-soap to wash the measuring cups!!)

Would the bag still be considered "Medical" if we stuffed the extra band-aids etc that we always seem to need as well as the uber -extra strength Sunscreen hubby needs or should i stuff those in the checked bags? Thanks again, so glad you are able to answer this so thoroughly and
completely sympathize with the food allergies that make travel so much more *special*!!!
Band aids (things you would find in a first aid kit) are medical. Sunscreen here in the U.S. does not qualify. They made me get rid of mine. Had to toss it or put it in a checked bag.

Most welcome.

I would think you would be safer to put sunscreen in checked baggage if the container is bigger than 3.4 oz (3-1-1 rule). It is likely it would be considered a "personal care" item like shampoo is, as opposed to a medical item, even if it actually is a medical item (e.g. required due to melanoma, or due to a photosensitivity condition). An airport security line is not where you want to be having that argument, especially if the TSA officer ultimately can make you trash something that is very important to have.

That said:

- if the sunscreen is prescribed to you by a doctor, it is a medical item and should be ok in carry-on BUT it'll need a pharmacy label or a copy of the Rx to prove it should it be questioned;

- I have found only one brand of sunscreen I can safely use, and even it I mildly react to. It comes in 2 oz and 4 oz sizes. I carry one 2 oz tube of it in my 3-1-1 bag and the 4 oz tubes go in my checked bag in ziploc. It is a risk because the checked bags can go missing, which is why the 2 oz in carry-on. However, we arrive 3 days before our cruises and worst case I can find a local store in Orlando that carries it or order more online and have it overnighted to me.

- to minimize the need for sunscreen, I wear sun protective clothing and hats. This greatly reduces the amount of exposed skin that needs sunscreen. Coolibar (http://www.coolibar.com/), Lands End and LL Bean, as well as many other retailors all have excellent quality sun protective clothing of various kinds. I like to layer, so I might have a very light outer layer that is sun protective and long sleeves, which I wear over whatever normal top I want to wear, for example. For swimming, I wear a long sleeve sun protective rash guard and full-leg swim tights over my bathing suit, plus a hat.

SW

I have a family member who needs a whole carry-on sized bag of meds and he always keeps everything in their original bottles (with the exception of a day bag [really a flat-folding toiletry bag, as he used to need to hang it on the door hooks in public bathrooms when he had to do twice-daily injections] that carries just the meds he needs while out any day he is out at one of his three med times). He uses the same bag at home, so it makes things easy.

Anyway, TSA varies in how they screen his med bag. Sometimes they just look through it, sometimes they take everything out (which is a pain because he keeps the meds in certain spots to find them easier even though an outsider would just think stuff was thrown into the bag), sometimes they inspect the bottles and labels, and sometimes they open the bottles (after asking), especially the paint-like consistency liquid prescription med (one agent even asked him how it tastes because it looks like nasty neon yellow paint). Some have been rude because of the amount of meds (forgive him for living with a dozen or more conditions, sheesh!) and some are nice and some are funny.

The only way I have travelled with meds myself has been in the original bottles, as well.

Med bags don't count towards your bag allowance as long as they are only medically required items (meds, medical devices, medical accessories, etc.). I always travel with a carry-on med bag of medical accessories and checked med bag(s) of medical-related supplies (items for my service dog).

Hubs takes upwards of 20+ pills a day, and we're putting them in his normal (large) pill sorter in a large ziplock bag in case any of the little doors open up in travel. Not concerned about doing this whatsoever, and not bringing the pill bottles. We have traveled with bags and bags of pills (and powders and food) in the past, no questions asked by TSA.

I take Bydureon for my Diabetes. Has anyone carried this on before? Do you just take the individually package needle/pen or do you take the whole box? I only need one & don't want to take the whole box if it isn't necessary. I plan on bringing my prescription with as well.

I take Bydureon for my Diabetes. Has anyone carried this on before? Do you just take the individually package needle/pen or do you take the whole box? I only need one & don't want to take the whole box if it isn't necessary. I plan on bringing my prescription with as well.
I would take the extra out of the box and just take what you need and myah one extra. I do this with my EpiPlan insulin boxes. So when I travel I have proof

I would take the extra out of the box and just take what you need and myah one extra. I do this with my EpiPlan insulin boxes. So when I travel I have proof

The problem is the Bydureon boxes are about the size of a sheet of paper & hold 4 pens, 1 per week. So , I don't really want to take the large box.

My husband's pens come in a similar box. He travels with 1 pen in his case with his other supplies, plus an extra (back-up) pen in a FRIO. And just tears the label off the box to bring along. He leaves the rest of the pens at home along with the what remains of the box. If you have time, you could ask your pharmacy to send you an extra label so you don't have to rip the box apart. His diabetes meds and supplies have never been questioned by TSA.

Enjoy your vacation!

I just break down my epicene box, I too have never been asked about my diabetes supplies when traveling. I really would not worry too much about it, the pharmacy can probably give you an extra table to out on one pen, I have been flaying with inhalers my almost all my life and for the most part they were not labeled I would just carry them with me it was not until maybe a year a go I changed pharmacy ( mail in) and they out an lable on the inhaler ( I never would have thought I should have one but it kind of makes since.) also if it is not a pill that people are abuseing I think ( and this is just what I think) they are less likely to care how you have it

I take 38 pills a day I always travel with them in a 7 day pill container I also have a med list with me but have never had a problem

Hello folks
The info about medical baggage is great! Thank you very much.
I always use "compliance packs" for medications. I did not want to carry that many pill bottles across the border. The pharmacy gives me a sheet of medications with all my meds sorted like they were in a dosette with the name of the meds on the back and all the pharmacy information on it. Each sheet is one week of "bubbles" that holds all the meds for that time. Each bubble is labelled with the day , date and time of that dose. Much easier to carry on vacation especially since there are some controlled substances. They will put OTC meds in the bubbles but you have to provide them (pay for). I use Zehrs (Loblaws) pharmacy.
Other pharmacies will sometimes fill your dosette for you instead of compliance packs and all the pharmacy info is on it. For a month supply you provide them with 4 dosettes. Hope this helps

I have/ had a friend that uses a mail in service they put her pill in a bag ( she take x amount in the morning so all her morning pills are in one bag all her night time pills in another each bag has her name on it with what pills are in each bag the bags are sealed and there is a ( kind of like tab) you pull to open it. it was kind of pricer then a regular RX but it worked great for my friend. unfortauly she moved a way and I do not have her number any more I tried to google what I thought was it but could not find it. but I am sure if you want you could find it not sure if they would do enough for just a week or if you could just do it one time while you travel or what but if anyone is interested I can look some more for the link or you could look for it.

Many insurance plans are limiting the pharmacies that their insureds can use. As things continue to worsen (for the consumer) in the insurance industry, expect this to happen more and more as the insurance companies make deals with the pharmaceutical companies padding one another's pockets and leaving the "consumer" with even less input and fewer choices.
We have excellent insurance coverage but this year, they limited our pharmacy options and basically we can only use 1 of 2 brick & mortar pharmacies (both large chains...so you know they made deals) and only 1 mail order company. Next year, there are several drugs they will not be providing coverage for...including many cancer drugs. :( There was a big article about this and our company is not the only one doing this but many people may be surprised at the changes in their coverages come January 1, 2017.

I take 15 different prescription pills and vitamins a day. When traveling, I put a day's worth of pills in a tiny plastic craft bag with a ziplock top that I got from Michaels. I believe they are 1 inch by 3 inches. I then put all the little plastic bags in one larger quart size ziplock and in my carry on. I also carry a copy of my medications that I get each time I see my Doctor. (Its given to me as part of the check out paperwork). Last, I have taken a picture of each pill bottle with a pill in front of the bottle with my phone. That way if I had to identify each pill quickly, I could bring up those photos as an assist. In addition, the photos of the prescription pill bottles clearly show my full name and Dr. name. But note that I do not take any controlled substances. My Mom takes some heavy duty pain meds and she does all the above PLUS carries the pain meds in the original prescription bottles.

Last edited:
Not sure this is proper place to post this, but here goes. Hubby and I leave in one week for WDW and he has to take his meds with him. He has 14 different meds that he needs on a daily basis, most maintenance meds, but has to have them. Will he be okay with airport security by just putting his pills in a case that has compartments for each day or does he have to carry them in their original package? It would be so much easier on him to just put them in daily amounts, but he has to adhere to the TSA rules. Anyone else have this situation and how have you handled it?

I have used daily pill holders at the airport without a problem, but I've always kept controlled substances in there original container.

However, once the pill holder got jolted around and opened and every single pill was loose in my bag. It was my own fault, I keep one type of medicine in each container so they were packed tight. I just want to make you aware that it happens and sucks.

Legally all controlled substances have no be in a marked container. You can always ask your pharmacy to stick a label on a small bottle so it doesn't take much room.
Finally, one time I thought it would be okay to put my regular (not controlled substances) meds in my checked bag thinking nobody would want to take them. I was wrong and we got to Vegas and discovered somebody stole my Savella. Lesson learned, I know put all my meds in a carryon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter