Tony's review

Stinkerbell317

LOSTaholic
We ate at Tony's a couple weeks ago for lunch. I have to say other than the ladies at the reception counter, who were pretty surly and arguing with each other, we had a very pleasant and dare I say wonderful experience there. I too ordered the portabello mushroom soup and LOVED it. I can't imagine how anyone who likes mushrooms would consider it inedible. Also my DH ordered the chicken parm and thought it was very good. My kids both loved their spaghetti and meatballs, and I loved my eggplant parm. Our waitress was wonderful and chatted with us abt her work experience at WDW. We also had a fantastic table outside on the porch overlooking the Main Street square. Jiminy Cricket was doing a meet&greet a mere few feet away from us, and we got to watch the Family Fun Day Parade as we ate.

I think the Pod Crew should give it another shot bc it sounds like maybe their meal was sullied by the crazy dude who kept yelling at them to move!

I on the other hand had a worse experience there with seating, service and a manager that said to me, "you're on DDP how much should you expect?" The group hit the nail on the head, they don't care about repeat customers. When this was the Veranda in the 70's and 80's it was beyond reproach. Now it is do not approach.

I recommend avoid Tony's... Crystal Palace is a much better value and better food. Or get sandwiches at the Plaza. I'd rather lick day old sneaker than return to Tony's.

I've said it before...and I'm sure it will be said again....

My reviews are just my opinions and are based on a single visit. (In this case, it will remain a single visit.)

If the restaurant interests you, you should try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

To the OP....our table was directly in front of the swinging kitchen doors and my view was of the busboy's area.

Our waiter was efficient, but spoke maybe 20 words during our entire meal.

John's actual description of the Portobello soup was that it tased like dirty water and burned escarole. I'm not sure the mushrooms factored in to the mix.

Again...this was our opinion of one unannounced visit and I promise....I wont stand in anyone's way should they want to visit. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

From the sound of it, you're visit was horrendous. Disney should be ashamed of such horrible service.

but if you ask around... this review is a common and recurring experience. If you had good luck, play the lottery.

My reviews are just my opinions and are based on a single visit. (In this case, it will remain a single visit.)

If the restaurant interests you, you should try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

To the OP....our table was directly in front of the swinging kitchen doors and my view was of the busboy's area.

John's actual description of the Portobello soup was that it tased like dirty water and burned escarole. I'm not sure the mushrooms factored in to the mix.

Again...this was our opinion of one unannounced visit and I promise....I wont stand in anyone's way should they want to visit. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kevin, I've actually heard horrible things about this restaurant. I'm not sure why we decided to try it. But our visit was good. I love to listen to your restaurant reviews, but can still make my own decisions. We've actually decided on our next trip in Dec (no kids) that we will try most of your rave review restaurants. This means not doing the dining plan as some of yours aren't on the plan. One of the DH has been trying to get to me for years, and he'll finally get his way. I suppose it's bad that I don't care about his opinion, but do yours :)

I'm gonna need you to post over here.:lmao:

I was rubbing my hands with glee when I heard Kevin was reviewing Tony's. DH and I ate there last year and like Kevin, was sooo disappointed with the reality of our experience versus what this restaurant sh/could be. While we didn't have the comedy of errors that Kevin and his friends had, it was just sort of 'eh'. Given the prices charged, we were totally underwhelmed.

Despite the differing opinions and dining experiences at Tony's, Kevin hit the nail on the head with this point: The location of this restaraurant is truly "prime real estate" in the Magic Kingdom. Blammo, it's right there as you walk into the park. It should/could be, without question, the premier dining spot in the MK. Because of this, it should have extremely high standards in terms food quality, staff quality, etc.

Instead of Disney having the attitude that "people will come because of where it's located, so who cares if we feed them crud", the attitude should be that they are premier restaurant in a premier location and they should conduct themselves as such. It could really be so much more and they should strive for that. Disney is missing out on an extraordinary opportunity with this location. They could make this the next LeCellier if they wanted to.

If you were going to open a restaurant in your home town, could you ask for a better location?? Right there on Main Street!

:scared1:
That was one nasty review!!

I know! That's why it was so hard to believe that we had been in the same restaurant eating a lot of the same foods. I guess Tony's can at best be said it's inconsistent. We would probably go there again based on our experience. And we will definitely ask for the outside table! That was so fun!

My friends and I had an ADR at Tony's last year and the meal was ok, but our biggest issue was that the food just was too expensive for what you got and for what it tasted like.

I basically paid alot for a plate of Spaghetti that I would get at Big Boy's or Shoney's. As it tasted exactly like it. I like Big Boy's spaghetti but I expected a bit more at the Magic Kingdom for that price.

I just listened to the review, and I will agree with the theme. They could musicians playing and just make it more cozy. While we enjoyed the food, the atmosphere left something to be desired. We sat in the area that is not outside, but not really inside either. It would be wonderful to sit outside. We sat in the big white room. It was just DH and myself, and it definitely waasn't a romantic atmosphere like is portrayed in the movie.

And, DH also had the calamari. He has always enjoyed calamari, but after eating at Tony's, I don't know if he'll evr be able to eat it again. He's always had the rings. Along with the rings at Tonys were the whole little baby squid like in this picture. It was disgusting.
http://www.cornichon.org/archives/FF%20crispy%20calamari.jpg

Kevin, thanks for another great review. Keep them coming.

I've eaten at Tony's once, and the food was mediocre at best. Still, the overall experience was a positive one. The server was really great, and that made all the difference.

And, DH also had the calamari. He has always enjoyed calamari, but after eating at Tony's, I don't know if he'll evr be able to eat it again. He's always had the rings. Along with the rings at Tonys were the whole little baby squid like in this picture. It was disgusting.
http://www.cornichon.org/archives/FF%20crispy%20calamari.jpg

If you are referring to the 'end pieces' there on the calamari, it is not all that uncommon. From my somewhat limited experience, when I order squid from a chain place or a lower end place (where I picture they order all of their food from Sysco), you get just rings, but when you order it from a better restaurant, and this applies not only to calamari, but also when served in paella in a couple of Cuban restos I've visited, they include the whole squid minus the head and looks like what is pictured.

I agree that it is a turnoff in appearance, but the taste is fine and it is authentic as far as I can tell.

If you are referring to the 'end pieces' there on the calamari, it is not all that uncommon. From my somewhat limited experience, when I order squid from a chain place or a lower end place (where I picture they order all of their food from Sysco), you get just rings, but when you order it from a better restaurant, and this applies not only to calamari, but also when served in paella in a couple of Cuban restos I've visited, they include the whole squid minus the head and looks like what is pictured.

I agree that it is a turnoff in appearance, but the taste is fine and it is authentic as far as I can tell.

Ditto this. Some restaurants often serve only the end pieces of the squid (the "rings"), but higher-end places will serve the heads as well. Those are actually my favorite parts, we fight over who gets them.

Hi, n00b to the forums here...

I visited Tony's with my family in April 2007. We had an ADR for 6 for dinner around 7pm (I don't remember the exact time). This ended up being one of two times during our visit to WDW that we had to wait a significant amount of time past our scheduled ADR time to be seated (Chefs de France being the other). We checked in about 10-15 minuted before our ADR time, but it was almost an hour before we were seated. Additionally, as Kevin had commented about castmembers at the hostess station arguing loudly, we observed a similar situation before being seated. Generally there would be between 3 to 5 castmembers gathered around the station gossiping or goofing off during the whole time we were waiting.

The rest of our experience was fine. We had a terrific server willing to spend time answering questions and helping us use the DDP for the first time, and kept our drinks topped off. I remember having the calamari starter, cannelloni entree, and creme brulee for dessert; I don't remember what the rest of my family ate. I thought the food was pretty good, but not excellent.

I agree with Kevin that with its location, and the fact that there are so few table service restaurants in the MK - and this one does not have a character meal - it should shine in theming, service and food quality.

Hi, n00b to the forums here...

I visited Tony's with my family in April 2007. We had an ADR for 6 for dinner around 7pm (I don't remember the exact time). This ended up being one of two times during our visit to WDW that we had to wait a significant amount of time past our scheduled ADR time to be seated (Chefs de France being the other). We checked in about 10-15 minuted before our ADR time, but it was almost an hour before we were seated. Additionally, as Kevin had commented about castmembers at the hostess station arguing loudly, we observed a similar situation before being seated. Generally there would be between 3 to 5 castmembers gathered around the station gossiping or goofing off during the whole time we were waiting.

The rest of our experience was fine. We had a terrific server willing to spend time answering questions and helping us use the DDP for the first time, and kept our drinks topped off. I remember having the calamari starter, cannelloni entree, and creme brulee for dessert; I don't remember what the rest of my family ate. I thought the food was pretty good, but not excellent.

I agree with Kevin that with its location, and the fact that there are so few table service restaurants in the MK - and this one does not have a character meal - it should shine in theming, service and food quality.

we are hazing all the n00bs... you are required to make ADR's at Nine Dragons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter