Tony's a Pleasant Surprise!

We've had both good and bad experiences at Tony's. Our first 2 were great, our 3rd was just OK but our last one (several years ago now) was bad and we haven't been back since. It was our last meal of our trip - a lunch on our last day on our way out of the park...horrible server who couldn't have cared less if he waited on us or not and realllllly meh food. Very unmemorable other than it wasn't worth whatever we paid - definitely Americanized Italian. They do have great parade viewing if you can get a table on the porch at the right time tho...perhaps we'll give it another try one day.

Coming from the northeast (same county where Pete Werner is from), you wouldn't catch me in an Olive Garden, ever.

Not to say that the food at Tony's is bad, it's just not authentic Italian. So, to many, it's suitable, or even great.

That's the joy of WDW... there is something with everybody. :earsboy:
It’s not authentically Italian-American either.
I’m not blaming the new chef since s/he has to deal with the price point and supplies assigned to them.
The man of my life used the idea of an Olive Garden reservation to torture me…

We did Tony's as our last park meal in Dec 2019 due to the VIP parade viewing package. I was well aware of the reputation but also knew I'd be the only person in my party who cared (kids would happily eat Olive Garden, husband prefers family run Italian-American places but isn't picky).

Food was fine, server was "a doll" as Pete would say. I ordered a glass of wine and he said "No, I'll bring you a nicer one" (charged me for the original which was cheaper). From that point on I knew we were in good hands.

Going back in a few weeks for the 50th so we'll see if this review holds up.

Comparing Tony's to Olive Garden is a very accurate comparison, which is why I have tried Tony's Town Square twice and will not be back again. I'm not Italian, never been to Italy to try authentic Italian or even non authentic. I'm also not from NY or Chicago, I'm just a city boy from Cleveland and now living about 100 miles south of there. But I know what I like and I know I do not like Tony's or the Olive Garden. And when I have a pizza I know what good pizza is and what bad pizza is. For those who like or enjoy Tony's, more power to you. This is no attack, to each their own.

I‘m avoiding indoor dining and have had lunch at Tony’s several times since the reopening. My food was always pretty meh, edible but bland. On my last visit my pizza was lukewarm and waaaaay under baked. On the plus side,the patio has a lovely view and you can have a beer with your meal. ’ve been fine with it as an option but will return to eating at Skipper Canteen once I return to indoor dining.

5B7E683D-BC3C-4594-8A30-A5ABA9A5032F.jpeg

We ducked into Tony's for dinner one night when it rained on us one evening in April 2019. It was a pleasant dining experience and the service was great. Those of us that had dishes without traditional pasta sauce liked our food. Nobody really cared for the spaghetti/marina sauce though. Was too bad, because we liked the atmosphere.

I’ve never been to Tony’s due to the poor reviews but a friend of mine has a lot of food allergy restrictions so this is one of the only TS spots we can do at MK. We are going on October 1 for a break from crowds / heat. I am a major foodie (collecting all my Michelin stars at restaurants across the world) but have a weird love for the fettuccini Alfredo at Olive Garden. Is Tony’s like OG’s? I am trying to figure out what I should order so as not to totally waste money.

My whole plan for our upcoming trip is to only book ADRs for not super popular places because I didn't want to deal with the stress of trying to get them or of anything prepaid or crowded (long wait at time of ADR for a table, etc.) It's our "zen trip." I think the Boathouse is only "popular" place. Doing Tony's, Trails End, San Angel, etc.
I did all the "must do" places already previous trips. And daughter just wants basic food anyways.

We have an 11:45am lunch one day of our trip at Tony's. Didn't want a super heavy lunch since dinner at Disney Springs (maybe share pizza and salad) and figured great location for those in the family who are calling it quits for the day to head back vs those who would like to stay a bit more. If weather is nice I hope we can sit on the balcony!

We've been burned at least three times at Tony's, so we're not going to return. Ever. Our local Olive Garden was never that bad.

We've been burned at least three times at Tony's, so we're not going to return. Ever. Our local Olive Garden was never that bad.
We’ve only been burned twice, but when I told DH about this thread and said I might book it, he gave me quite the eyebrow…🤣 so I think I’m booking Crystal Palace instead.

...horrible server who couldn't have cared less if he waited on us or not and realllllly meh food...

Last ate at Tony’s in September 2019. Food was okay, “meh” is pretty accurate, but our server was great and we were seated right next to the window in the solarium. Way better food options available in MK and the other parks for sure, but it wasn’t bad.. at the end of the day you are going to be hard pressed to find a meal that offers better people watching anywhere in WDW + you are eating on Mainstreet USA, I mean come on. Right? No?

Making our ADR's soon. Would most of you choose counter service over Tony's? What about the Plaza over Tony's? I was set on Tony's before this thread.

We have many days at MK this trip and am struggling to fill the last day. Those are our last three options other than repeating a different TS which we want to avoid. So, Plaza, Tony's or counter service (if so, which one?)

Making our ADR's soon. Would most of you choose counter service over Tony's? What about the Plaza over Tony's? I was set on Tony's before this thread.

We have many days at MK this trip and am struggling to fill the last day. Those are our last three options other than repeating a different TS which we want to avoid. So, Plaza, Tony's or counter service (if so, which one?)

We like Tony's better than the Plaza, but it's not because we don't like the Plaza. We just like Tony's a lot. Our last trip in July of this year, we went to Tony's twice. While we don't really like the marinara sauce with the spaghetti, we loved the chicken parm, fettuccine, and pizza. We are going again when we go for the 50th. We avoided Tony's for years due to what everyone said, and now we love it. It's probably our favorite sit down in MK right now (Crystal Palace breakfast will be first when it opens again).

We like Tony's better than the Plaza, but it's not because we don't like the Plaza. We just like Tony's a lot. Our last trip in July of this year, we went to Tony's twice. While we don't really like the marinara sauce with the spaghetti, we loved the chicken parm, fettuccine, and pizza. We are going again when we go for the 50th. We avoided Tony's for years due to what everyone said, and now we love it. It's probably our favorite sit down in MK right now (Crystal Palace breakfast will be first when it opens again).
Okay, we'll stick with the original plan and skip the marinara! We've also been avoiding Tony's for years. May as well give it a try! I'm also waiting on CP breakfast to open up, hopefully it does for both of us 😊

Okay, we'll stick with the original plan and skip the marinara! We've also been avoiding Tony's for years. May as well give it a try! I'm also waiting on CP breakfast to open up, hopefully it does for both of us 😊

My favorite is their Mozzarella Bites! I get those, a salad, and a glass of wine and it makes a great meal (for me). I would choose it time and again.

Don't go in with super high expectations and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It's not bad. I mean, it's not a fourth generation Italian American family NYC restaurant and it's not the best WDW has to offer, but it's not at all bad. As for a seat outside if weather is nice or near the windows otherwise and just enjoy the experience. Last time I was there wait staff was great. Worst case scenario you can always grab whatever specialty burger is on offer at Cosmic Ray's.

Hope that Crystal Palace opens up for you. Best breakfast buffet on property IMO. I mean puffed french toast, Winnie the Pooh, and Tigger too. Need I say more. lol.

Don't go in with super high expectations and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It's not bad. I mean, it's not a fourth generation Italian American family NYC restaurant and it's not the best WDW has to offer, but it's not at all bad. As for a seat outside if weather is nice or near the windows otherwise and just enjoy the experience. Last time I was there wait staff was great. Worst case scenario you can always grab whatever specialty burger is on offer at Cosmic Ray's.

Hope that Crystal Palace opens up for you. Best breakfast buffet on property IMO. I mean puffed french toast, Winnie the Pooh, and Tigger too. Need I say more. lol.
You're right! I'll keep my expectations level. The Cosmic Ray's strategy is a good idea and backup. The outdoor or window seating sounds lovely. Feeling much better now!

Omgoodness, I'm totally craving the french toast now! Lol!

We had dinner at Tony’s in July. I had only heard bad things so went in with low expectations. It was really good. My husband had the steak and said it was better than the steak he’d had at GFC and Kona. I had a pizza and it was pretty good. We had excellent service. We would give it another try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter