Tolls New York State

mkmommy

DIS Veteran
Just realized that New York State toll roads are cashless.

Do you buy a transponder and set up an account or just wait to get a bill.

Is the EZ pass good in other states, will be going through Vermont and New Hampshire?

I went over in that tiny window in the winter that we were allowed to go without a return test. A bill came in the mail maybe 6 weeks later for my drive across Grand island

Just realized that New York State toll roads are cashless.

Do you buy a transponder and set up an account or just wait to get a bill.

Is the EZ pass good in other states, will be going through Vermont and New Hampshire?
Doesn't look like Vermont, but looks like New Hampshire and all these other states.
ezpass-compatibility-2021.png

They billed me for our March trip as well. Easy to pay online once you get the bill.

We were billed for the area between Buffalo and Erie by mail about 6 weeks after travel.

If you want to go the transponder route that works really well and provides discounts on tolls. We upgraded to SunPass Pro for our March trip and it worked well across all of the toll roads in Orlando, and for the express lanes through Chalotte NC. It also works for the toll bridges at the border crossings we take (Thousand Islands and Ogdensburg); I would assume at the others as well. Basically it is accepted anywhere that EZ-Pass is, but if you drive a lot in Florida, I think the discounts are better with the SunPass Pro.

Note, one tolling gantry in NC must have missed the transponder as it tolled by plate instead, but it still appeared on my account just as quick as the transponder charges. Your plates are registered to the account. You can setup your account with a credit card and when it hits a minimum threshold it will automatically top-up your account by your preset amount.

It is a portable transponder, so you can use it in multiple vehicles. It is easy to order online and get your account setup. The transponder arrived in the mail after about 2 weeks after ordering - our first transponders took about a week to arrive 5 or so years ago, so that may be covid delayed.

With the new toll lanes on the I-4 it is a great option if traffic is getting backed up. We might go back to taking the I-4 now instead of bypassing on the 417 around South of the airport.

If you want to go the transponder route that works really well and provides discounts on tolls. We upgraded to SunPass Pro for our March trip and it worked well across all of the toll roads in Orlando, and for the express lanes through Chalotte NC. It also works for the toll bridges at the border crossings we take (Thousand Islands and Ogdensburg); I would assume at the others as well. Basically it is accepted anywhere that EZ-Pass is, but if you drive a lot in Florida, I think the discounts are better with the SunPass Pro.

Note, one tolling gantry in NC must have missed the transponder as it tolled by plate instead, but it still appeared on my account just as quick as the transponder charges. Your plates are registered to the account. You can setup your account with a credit card and when it hits a minimum threshold it will automatically top-up your account by your preset amount.

It is a portable transponder, so you can use it in multiple vehicles. It is easy to order online and get your account setup. The transponder arrived in the mail after about 2 weeks after ordering - our first transponders took about a week to arrive 5 or so years ago, so that may be covid delayed.

With the new toll lanes on the I-4 it is a great option if traffic is getting backed up. We might go back to taking the I-4 now instead of bypassing on the 417 around South of the airport.
I have an old Sun pass transponder and see if that will work I should look at my account, it might have money on it.

I recently drove down to FL and I didn’t think to purchase a transponder in advance. I bought one at a little booth right beside the duty free shop at the Rainbow Bridge. I set up my account prior to crossing the bridge by using the toll free number (note office hours for set up are M-F until about 4:00PM).

When we drive we usually enter avoid tolls into the GPS but that adds a lot of time, my husband just wants to drive with the tolls, if they are cashless how do they send you a bill in Canada and will all the tolls be like that. I’m thinking of trying to convince him to drive our normal route so we don’t have to worry about him.

When we drive we usually enter avoid tolls into the GPS but that adds a lot of time, my husband just wants to drive with the tolls, if they are cashless how do they send you a bill in Canada and will all the tolls be like that. I’m thinking of trying to convince him to drive our normal route so we don’t have to worry about him.
More and more of the tolls are going cashless throughout the US, and they are getting harder to 'ignore'. On our route down I-81/77 North Carolina has toll express lanes through Charlotte, and all of the new lanes added to I-4 through Orlando are cashless. If you take I-95 through the Washington area it is the same. These lanes are right beside the regular lanes with controlled access. If the traffic is heavy you'll be tempted to use them! Example, on our Saturday return in March, the regular lanes through Charlotte were slow and congested. For about $4 in tolls we were able to sail past all of that.

And yes, they can catch up with you in Canada with a mailed bill. AFAIK, the vehicle registration database is integrated throughout the US and Canada, so they can match an address to your plate. Unlike Ontario, the toll charges are pretty reasonable; $4 to bypass Charlotte is a lot better than the $40 to bypass Toronto on the 407, although many US tolls are also demand based, so more in higher volume times.

I have an old Sun pass transponder and see if that will work I should look at my account, it might have money on it.
If you still have your account you can order the Transponder there, there is a button at the top of the page, and transponder cost will be charged the credit card on file.

More and more of the tolls are going cashless throughout the US, and they are getting harder to 'ignore'. On our route down I-81/77 North Carolina has toll express lanes through Charlotte, and all of the new lanes added to I-4 through Orlando are cashless. If you take I-95 through the Washington area it is the same. These lanes are right beside the regular lanes with controlled access. If the traffic is heavy you'll be tempted to use them! Example, on our Saturday return in March, the regular lanes through Charlotte were slow and congested. For about $4 in tolls we were able to sail past all of that.

And yes, they can catch up with you in Canada with a mailed bill. AFAIK, the vehicle registration database is integrated throughout the US and Canada, so they can match an address to your plate. Unlike Ontario, the toll charges are pretty reasonable; $4 to bypass Charlotte is a lot better than the $40 to bypass Toronto on the 407, although many US tolls are also demand based, so more in higher volume times.

Ok thank you. 😊😊

We have a Sunpass (old plastic transponder not compatible with E-Z Pass) and a NY E-Z Pass. In the past, we would start our trip with the E-Z Pass and changed the transponder when arriving in FL. This summer, we are planning on only using our E-Z pass since this one is compatible with the FL Sunpass infrastructure.

We ordered our NY transponder from home and it was shipped for free in Montreal. You only need to pay for an initial credit in your account.

We drive to Florida yearly. We have never bought a transponder and we have never ever received a bill. We actually drove to Key West in December and drove on the Florida turnpike and still never received a bill. We have driven to New Jersey and never received a bill. I’m not sure what we’re doing right but no one has ever billed us. We drove back down to Florida in January when they shut Ontario down again and again no bill. We took 2 different cars as well with different plates and nothing.

We drove to Florida from Toronto with no transponder in mid April and so far we only have received a small bill from NY which I paid by credit card on line. Where we had the option to pay at a booth (like Florida), we used those, but we did pas through a number of bill by plate sections in other states - no idea if we will see any of those bills since they haven't come yet.

Don't worry about Vermont - there aren't any highways with tolls in the state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter