Toll Roads - MCO to Disney

Fantasmic303

DIS Veteran
Can anyone advise as to how you have handled toll roads from the airport to WDW during Covid times? We have been getting a Visitor Toll Pass the last few trips, but they have suspended the program. We didn't want to rent the transponder from the car rental, but is there another option besides avoiding toll roads (or paying a fine after the fact)? I can bring cash, but I thought I read that they were cashless tolls only now - is that waived if it's exact change?

Any input much appreciated - we're traveling this weekend, so it's a last minute scramble!

Are you renting car from the airport or one of the off site rentals? I would go 528 West, as it is 1 toll, and I believe it is $2.50 each way...Don't hold me to that as I have a sunpass and it charges me $1.94, but i think it is $2.50. After the toll, it's straight to I4, and down to WDW.

Thank you! Yes, renting from MCO. Do you happen to recall if the cash lanes were open, or at least the exact change ones? I'll bring coin with me, I just wasn't sure if they had all moved to electronic only. Mapping out the 528W route now based on your suggestion.

If you possess an E-ZPass transponder from another state, you can bring it with you and use it on the southern route, SR-417, so long as you exit the highway at International Drive.

The cash lanes reopened on June 1st.
:thumbsup2 Yes that's correct. I verified this the other day. I was reading a different tollway thread where they were discussing toll stickers or bringing your EZ pass from home state. I don't really want to do either. I just want to use the exact change option. Whip it in there and head on down the road.

If you possess an E-ZPass transponder from another state, you can bring it with you and use it on the southern route, SR-417, so long as you exit the highway at International Drive.
Joel...a question. Do you know if I have to add my rental car plate number to my EZ Pass account here in Mass? I assume it will just key onto the transponder and charge appropriately.

Joel...a question. Do you know if I have to add my rental car plate number to my EZ Pass account here in Mass? I assume it will just key onto the transponder and charge appropriately.
Yes, you should update your existing E-ZPass account to show the rental tag number. If you don't and the transponder is not read properly, you would be billed by the rental agency for the toll plus any fees.

MA has details on their website about adding a rental vehicle: https://www.ezdrivema.com/RentalVehicles

Depending on whom you are renting from it might be worth it to just pay the toll charges. I'm flying down on Oct. 14 and renting from Hertz. Hertz charges 6.95 per day you use it plus the toll charge. But unlike some companies, nothing on days you don't use it. To me that is not enough of a premium for me to take my IPass out of my car, pack it, hook it up, remember to unhook it, pack it again and put it back in my car.

Depending on whom you are renting from it might be worth it to just pay the toll charges. I'm flying down on Oct. 14 and renting from Hertz. Hertz charges 6.95 per day you use it plus the toll charge. But unlike some companies, nothing on days you don't use it. To me that is not enough of a premium for me to take my IPass out of my car, pack it, hook it up, remember to unhook it, pack it again and put it back in my car.

This is what I'm doing. I'm renting from Avis, and I'm just using what's in their vehicles and paying the fee for the days we use it. So much easier for me.

I just purchased a removable transponder here:

https://epass.cfxway.com/EpassWeb/
I believe it was $15 and you had to load $10 on it for the tolls. I’ve also heard that you can get the free permanent sticker and just tape it on. I’d have done that, but I’d likely forget to remove it.

I've been down there twice since WDW opened (Sept 18/19 most recently) and have driven 417 both times. Cash lanes are open and I paid cash at both toll booths. $1.75 at each booth. Far less money than paying for the rental car transponder. I didn't even have exact change, they gave me change for my $2.

It's a shame the Visitor Toll Pass system is on hiatus since the Pandemic.

That was the easiest option.

You pay a $10 deposit for a placard that can be read by the toll plazas, it will charge you for the tolls as if you had Sun Pass. When your trip concludes you return the placard they return your deposit and just charge you for the tolls you accrued.

Yes, you should update your existing E-ZPass account to show the rental tag number. If you don't and the transponder is not read properly, you would be billed by the rental agency for the toll plus any fees.

MA has details on their website about adding a rental vehicle: https://www.ezdrivema.com/RentalVehicles
Thanks! I thought that might be the case. I have a SunPass transponder, but I've moved and I'm just not sure where the heck it is!!!

If you rent from Alamo they will bill your card automatically for the toll plus a $3.95 convenience charge per day not to exceed $19.75 for a rental period. We find this to be acceptable, others may not.

If you rent from Alamo they will bill your card automatically for the toll plus a $3.95 convenience charge per day not to exceed $19.75 for a rental period. We find this to be acceptable, others may not.
Do you know if it is per day used or per day of the rental? $3.95 per day used is not bad, per day rental wouldn't be worth it to me if I'm driving from MCO to WDW then back 7 days later.

We had no problem paying cash for the tolls. We had exact change one way ($2.75 each way I think), but not the other and had no problem getting change.
This is what we always do. I buy a roll of quarters. 417 has two tolls between MCO and WDW. They are never packed. Whip it in there and go! It's always like 20-25 minutes both ways.

Oh wow one more thing I had not considered if we rent a car! (we don't have toll roads where I live).

So just have cash in small bills and coins, is that the thing to do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter