Toilet height

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
Do the Handicap Accessible cabins have "comfort height" toilets, or the same as in the regular cabins? I ask because getting up on the Magic and simultaneously turning so as not to bump into the wall did a number on my knee in January, and Housekeeping had to install a seat attachment for me. I'm going to request the special seat attachment in future, but I'm wondering whether I'd need one in a HA cabin (I wouldn't book one just for that reason, however).

Do the Handicap Accessible cabins have "comfort height" toilets, or the same as in the regular cabins? I ask because getting up on the Magic and simultaneously turning so as not to bump into the wall did a number on my knee in January, and Housekeeping had to install a seat attachment for me. I'm going to request the special seat attachment in future, but I'm wondering whether I'd need one in a HA cabin (I wouldn't book one just for that reason, however).
From the DCL website:

Accessible Staterooms​

All Disney Cruise Line ships offer accessible staterooms and suites equipped with the following features:

Room Features

• 32" (minimum) doorways
  • Ramped bathroom thresholds
  • Open bed frames
  • Toilet and shower grab bars
  • Fold-down shower seats
  • Adjustable-height shower heads
  • Lowered towel and closet bars
  • Emergency call buttons

Special Equipment
Disney Cruise Line offers special equipment for Guests with disabilities. The following items are available upon request for use in any stateroom:
  • Bedrail
  • Portable toilet
  • Raised toilet seat
  • Shower stool
  • Transfer bench
  • Stateroom Communication Kits containing door knock and phone alerts, bed shaker notification, and a strobe light smoke detector.
  • A stateroom text typewriter (TTY)
It appears that a raise toilet seat isn't "normal" in a handicapped room, but can be requested.

Last edited:
In an ADA cabin there is nothing to bump into unless you turn towards the wall, which is only on one side.

Thank you, @PrincessShmoo. Duh, I hadn't thought to look at the website....
In an ADA cabin there is nothing to bump into unless you turn towards the wall, which is only on one side.
Is the toilet backed diagonally into the corner (as in a regular cabin on the Magic)? I felt that I might bump into the wall and had to twist away from it while standing up, and that's what twisted my knee.

Never been in a regular cabin since DW always needs ADA, but there is a grab bar on the wall. I think the toilet is probably not as close to the wall for that reason and they seem to be higher, but not quite as high as one in the house. Just realized I didn't answer the diagonal, no it is 90 degrees off the back wall and parallel to the side wall.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer but we put in comfort height (16.5 inch high) toilets when we remodeled. We stayed at a brand new Marriot a couple of weeks ago and was surprised they had standard 14.5 inch high) toilets. Felt like I was falling when I sat down!

@happycamper47, thanks! That’s helpful!

I don't have an answer but we put in comfort height (16.5 inch high) toilets when we remodeled. We stayed at a brand new Marriot a couple of weeks ago and was surprised they had standard 14.5 inch high) toilets. Felt like I was falling when I sat down!
I know! Those regular height toilets really feel different when you’re used to comfort height. And I’m almost certain the toilets on the Magic are extra-short!

Do the Handicap Accessible cabins have "comfort height" toilets, or the same as in the regular cabins?
We've stayed in HA rooms a couple of times due to be assigned there for GTY reservations. As someone on the shorter side, taller toilets aren't comfortable for me (my feet are dangling! :-)). I don't remember specifically, but I don't remember this being something that bothered me in our HA rooms on the Dream or Wish. I'd be inclined to say that they're just regular height.I'd be prepared to ask for the raised toilet seat just in case.

I can say that both had plenty of space around them and were not cramped like in the non-HA staterooms. So, maybe just the space and the grab bar would be enough to make it better for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter