Toddler, sensory, and new to all of this

javeyloveschelsi

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I posted this over in the DisABILITIES board and it was suggested to post over here as well.

I’m really hoping I could get some guidance or suggestions. Our youngest DS (22 months—he’s our 4th child) is in the process of getting an official diagnosis of what everyone is saying is autism. We have met with our early Ed evaluators and his evaluation showed “Atypical” in communication, social/emotional skills, and we will also be receiving occupational therapy for sensory issues with him. Our pediatrician has given us her thoughts, they have given us theirs (including informational packets on Autism), we see a pediatric neurologist on Monday, and just got the paperwork in the mail to get in with the developmental pediatrician who can give us the “official” medical diagnosis (6-9 month wait) if the neurologist does not give us that official diagnosis on Monday. We will be visiting Disneyland next month (our kids are 11, 8, 4, and he will turn 2 a couple days after our visit). He does well in public, but he does react to sensory overload. He does not throw fits and is mostly nonverbal, but he does have “tics” (once again I’m sorry if I’m not using the proper verbiage, I’m really trying to learn and process all of this, so excuse my ignorance :( ...), so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for quieter places to go if it’s too much or areas in shows that we can stand back and watch from afar while DH is with our other children (mostly like the dance parties). I know he is interested in what’s going on when he wants to pay attention to something, but it may just be too much to be too close. Really, I’m just up for any ideas and suggestions as I really have no clue at all as to what I can plan on or should expect since this is new territory for us. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

**Adding for clarification based on responses on the other post: He does not handle being surrounded by people for any length of time well. He will not throw a verbal fit, but will begin his “tics”, cling to me and ONLY me and then will begin scratching me really badly and has recently began scratching himself when over stimulated. We did just order him a new stroller that is arriving today to be more of a safe haven for him, hopefully, as the canopy should surround him well. He will also bolt (and has no fear at all) if given the opportunity, so stroller, carrier, and wrist leash is a must for us.

Chelsi

I would suggest getting a stroller as a wheelchair tag from Guest Relations. This will give him his own space. Also a blanket or something to put over the shade so he can completely hide if needed. Also, when standing in lines or crowded places, use other family members as a shield around him so he also has his space. For meals, either TS or CS, we always find a place that is over to the side and not in the middle of things. We eat at off times as well. Keep your daily schedule as much as possible - including going back to your hotel for an afternoon rest. Avoid fireworks or watch from a distance. If at all possible, get noice cancelling headphones as well.
I think the most important thing is just be aware of what is happening with your child. Watch his clues and act accordingly. Even if that means removing him from the situation. It isn't fun for him and it obviously isn't fun for you.

I mentioned this in your other thread, too: in addition to the headphones (yes!), dark sunglasses can be very helpful -- not just outside if the sun is super bright (and it can be glaringly harsh sometimes), but the bright lights on rides, during shows -- F!, WOC, fireworks, Frozen, etc. -- can be exhausting on the mind and body (even for adults).
Bring snacks that you know work well for him. Familiar foods that you can grab quickly can be very soothing. DLR does let you bring in your own food -- just no glass containers, no knives, no separate sandwich fixings (sandwiches must be pre-made), etc.
Know where First Aid is in both parks. (Better to know and not need it, then to need it and not know, right?) In DL: opposite Plaza Inn and the Little Red Wagon, at the end of the cul de sac, past the Baby Care Center. In DCA: next door to Chamber of Commerce on BVS. All CMs at First Aid are RNs, are super nice and ready to help. There are family restrooms there. And if you need a quiet place just to rest or to lie down with your son for a bit, just ask for help. If there is a cot free, you can lie down with him with the drapes drawn until he is calm and relaxed.
What hotel are you staying at? If your hotel has a view of the fireworks, it can be easier to view from the hotel. When we stayed at the GCH, we would watch the fireworks from our balcony. It helped a lot when we had friends visiting with their special needs kids.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter