• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toddler & pool slides

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are situations where I would absolutely recommend parents not go into advocate mode because it simpl won’t help. This is an area where I believe it is worth educating yourself on what the true issues are, and seeing if there are any work arounds.

To me, the main issue is the adult riding behind the child. How would you work around the child not being able to swim, and anadult being right behind them, dumping into the water with no control over how they land? How do you make that safe?

I had an experience as a child with a slide.
I went down the slide and the boy behind me didn’t wait like he was supposed to. He wasn’t right behind (i. e. not touching me) and he was no bigger than me, so his size didn’t make what happened next happen.
He was close enough that before I could get out of the way, he landed on top of me. I was under water, with his weight holding me under. Because I was under him, he couldn’t get himself away. It seemed like a very long and scary time before the lifeguard came and pulled me up.
So, maybe I’m biased, but when I hear someone is going down the slide behind someone else, that’s what comes to my mind.

Pool rules are written for safety; you cannot waive a basic tenet of pool safety by allowing "work arounds." Intentionally waiving pool rules can be grounds for lifeguard dismissal at most pools; messing around with safety rules is not tolerated by pool management -- no pool management under which I ever worked (and I worked for several over the years).

A personal floatation device (PFD) is worn based on the individual's weight. A 35lb child's life vest is designed to support 35 lbs. It will have zero value with an adult's weight attached to that child, immediately behind that child dropping off a slide into deep water. The adult has little control over how they come off the slide, there is no way to avoid the adult going underwater there, and absolutely no way to guarantee the adult will let go and the child will stay above water. The rider on a slide needs to be able to control their own body, swim (with a PFD) at least a minimal distance away from the bottom of the slide, and handle themselves in the not-unexpected event of swallowing a mouthful of water and/or going under. There is no waiver language under the sun that would hold up in court if tragedy occurred after a posted pool rule was intentionally ignored or waived by a lifeguard.

I'm all for advocating and making accommodations whenever reasonably possible. But pool safety is not an area that should be up for discussion. Please respect the lifeguards and posted pool rules.

Another concern with adults and children on slides - even on land - is that the child can be injured. A few years ago, a story went viral about a mom sliding with her toddler daughter - and accidentally breaking her daughter's leg in the process. I haven't posted enough yet to post a link, but if you google "child breaks leg on slide with mom", it'll come up. It had never occurred to me in years of taking my own kids down slides that this could happen. Perhaps that is part of Disney's decision process here as well - the added slipperiness of the water certainly wouldn't help.

Pool rules are written for safety; you cannot waive a basic tenet of pool safety by allowing "work arounds." Intentionally waiving pool rules can be grounds for lifeguard dismissal at most pools; messing around with safety rules is not tolerated by pool management -- no pool management under which I ever worked (and I worked for several over the years).

A personal floatation device (PFD) is worn based on the individual's weight. A 35lb child's life vest is designed to support 35 lbs. It will have zero value with an adult's weight attached to that child, immediately behind that child dropping off a slide into deep water. The adult has little control over how they come off the slide, there is no way to avoid the adult going underwater there, and absolutely no way to guarantee the adult will let go and the child will stay above water. The rider on a slide needs to be able to control their own body, swim (with a PFD) at least a minimal distance away from the bottom of the slide, and handle themselves in the not-unexpected event of swallowing a mouthful of water and/or going under. There is no waiver language under the sun that would hold up in court if tragedy occurred after a posted pool rule was intentionally ignored or waived by a lifeguard.

I'm all for advocating and making accommodations whenever reasonably possible. But pool safety is not an area that should be up for discussion. Please respect the lifeguards and posted pool rules.
I was thinking of her going down with PFD by self where it would bring her up with face up until parent could grab her and the collar should protect her head if she fell back going down. which was what my special needs grandson was doing when we had the problem with older child who with her mom's permission was grabbing which he did not like. he wasn't able to swim by self at that time and I was able to grab him as he floated by. I was not right at bottom of slide. lifeguard approved what we were doing

I know that Corey Martin worked as a lifeguard for Disney both on the college program and later after he graduated from university. I think on a recent podcast Julie mentioned that she had also worked as a lifeguard. Tagging Corey as maybe he will have some ideas, sorry can't remember Julie's Disboards name.
@WebmasterCorey

I cringed at the splash pad suggestion. pulli from my own experience as a CP kid, yuck. 4 is young enough where that is still age appropriate.
Only bc I suggested it will I respond to this. I dont know if you have seen all the possible splash areas at Disney. The one we use is at Carribbean Beach Resort. It is not babyish, in fact my kids who are now 8, 10, and 12 are sad that they are too tall to use it. It isnt even like a typical "splash pad", IMO because splash pad implies one of those areas with just spraying water that you kind of run around in. It actually has a lot of fun elements and would be a viable solution for the OP now and for several years to come.

What I would be trying to achieve is to find out what the specific concerns are that make it a safety issue. Just saying safety is not an acceptable answer. Ok, they are concerned one of the riders could be pulled under. They wear lifevests. They are concerned about smacking into each other on the ride down. How often has that happened? Hand me a legal waver and a pen. There are options to everything as long as you get to someone with the authority to actually discuss the situation.

F=ma. Is that specific enough?

There are situations where I would absolutely recommend parents not go into advocate mode because it simply won’t help. This is an area where I believe it is worth educating yourself on what the true issues are, and seeing if there are any work arounds.

Work around - do not go down the slide with the child. It is not safe, due to F=ma. I'm still not sure what you don't understand - it is not safe to travel down the slide together. Is it because you don't understand why it is not safe?

at some point, you have to accept the fact that your child is unable to do all the normal things. its a fact of life and a good teaching moment. going full-on mama Bear demanding your special needs child be afforded special treatment is delusional in some cases. this is one of them.

just because you can't comprehend the reasons behind the policy does not mean the policy is wrong, should be waived or that any of your suggestions to get around it are viable.

Actually, it is a perfectly acceptable answer.

On that one we will never agree. On a daily basis I accept a higher level of risk in order to function at a level I accept. I use forearm crutches on a daily basis. I skip them rather than walk them to increase the distance I can manage. I just made any Physical therapists who might read this cringe because it’s “not safe”. I’m not saying this applies in this case, but when yo have a physical disability and want something it’s sometimes worth taking that extra risk.

I use forearm crutches on a daily basis. I skip them rather than walk them to increase the distance I can manage.
Your decision regarding your actions, not dependent on ANY business, individual, or entity bearing or potentially bearing even the tiniest little miniscule bit of liability.

If an individual wants to install a pool and on their own, owned, inaccessi le to outsiders property, and slide down it holding their child, great. Go for it. Thinking it's reasonable for a business to allow that behavior? Uh-uh.

On that one we will never agree. On a daily basis I accept a higher level of risk in order to function at a level I accept. I use forearm crutches on a daily basis. I skip them rather than walk them to increase the distance I can manage. I just made any Physical therapists who might read this cringe because it’s “not safe”. I’m not saying this applies in this case, but when yo have a physical disability and want something it’s sometimes worth taking that extra risk.

You don't have to agree, but you do have to accept that it is dangerous to slide down a slide with a larger mass behind you. That's how gravity and force works. No way to get around force and gravity, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter