Toddler Harness-To leash or not to leash

VP037388

Mouseketeer
I tried a toddler harness out several years ago when my oldest was around 18months. It worked great for places like the Zoo or an amusement park but that's the only time I used it. Every time I got the worst looks and some people even had a negative comment or two for me. I finally tossed it and never looked back.
We will have a 2 year old at Disney this year. We will have a stroller but there is no way he is going to passively sit for a week. Carrying and hand holding only goes so far. I think the harness idea would be great but I don't want our trip ruined by people who can't mind their own business. Any experiences?

You know your child. Some kids don't know to stay with their parents and wonder off.

If it is easier to use the harness or backpack lead, then use it. You will see parents using them and with so many people around, it is not worth the stress of a child wondering off. Besides, most people are to busy taking in all of the WDW experience to even notice the harness. I saw some one walk into a line of stroller in the stroller parking in fantasy land. This is not a single miss parked stroller, this was the entire parking lot of strollers.

We used used one on the last trip with our 18m DS. He had no clue to stay with us and would run, not walk, RUN where ever he wanted to go. He complained the first few times we put the harness on him, but it was either harness or on the stroller. So, he stopped complaining and would hold up the harness when he wanted out of the stroller.

Those people who give you "the look" for "leashing" your child will give you an even MORE judgemental look when you are shouting for a child who has wandered off or dared to walk into their path...

Ignore the looks and trust your gut.

A hint that worked with my oldest (who remains a runner at age 8) when she was little... put the harness on, then thread the seatbelt of the stroller through the harness straps. It basically changes the 1-point seatbelt into a five-point seatbelt and really slows them down if they try to bolt... in my Bella's case, she fussed with it for a few minutes, conceded defeat, and from then on we were in the clear (in her case it was in a red wagon that had seatbelts and she would jump out as I was pulling it along behind me... but the seatbelts were the standard type and a stroller would be the same way, except you'll have a better view of your little houdini trying to escape.

Have a safe and happy trip!

Safety trumps dirty looks. When DD was running-off age, she would not ride in a stroller to save her life. I bought one of those harnesses but almost immediately lost the detachable lead. After that, I tied a soft ribbon around both of our wrists when we were out and about in really crowded locations. It was a cheap and easy solution.

We brought ours with us in February and got more "Aren't those the best things ever" than dirty looks. My 2.5 year old would not stay with us for the life of him (or us) and would not sit in the stroller after day 3. He LOVES his harness. It's a monkey, and he would always say "no stroller, I want me monkey".

We brought it on our cruise too (with no stroller) and we had lots of parents ask us if we had bought it on the ship because they wanted it.

One of my boys is a runner. I use the monkey backpack harness a lot with him and sometimes with his brother is he's not listening. They are my children and my job as a mother is to protect them. If it means using a leash or harness then this is what I will do. I could care less what others say or how they look at me. They are free to judge away but at the end of the day, my children are safe and happy that they didn't have to stay confined to their stroller the whole day.

We have been to WDW 4 times within the past year and used these every time. I haven't received any looks that I know of and the only comments I have heard have been positive. Lots of people use these at WDW for their children. Were I to receive a negative look I am perfectly capable of giving them one in return and can come up with plenty of comments back to those judgmental folks should they feel the need to say something. This is your child and do not allow any person to make you feel bad for your decision to protect your child.

We did lose a 23 month old child at Disney. I wish I had put him on a leash! He was found within 5 minutes. Some woman was holding him and looking for his mother. Boy was I crying when I found him! That was the worst feeling. The best thing about it was we had put him in one of those Pooh hats with ears, and that was how I spotted him.

If I had it to do over, I would use the leash. I don't car about dirty looks from other people. My childs safety is more important.

Funny story. I had my son with the Monkey backpack harness. This mom stopped to chastise me at WDW about how awful it was to treat my child like a dog. While she was yelling at me her little angel ran off into a store. I kept my eye on her to make sure she was safe. When she was done yelling, I calmy looked at her and said, "I know where my child is do you know where yours is?" To which she replied, "of course, she is right next to me she does not wander, I know how to control my ............" When she looked down and frantically started calling for her. I said to her, "while you were busy being a busy body not only did I know where my son was, I knew where your daughter was too - she is in that store right there." SHe just walked off and proceeded to yell at her DD for running off and making her look bad.

Who gives a rat's hiney what other parents think of you.

The monkey one my DS even likes to wear around the house. He thinks it is his "friend".

Ok. Here's what you do.

Teach your little one how to attack on command. Biting shins and crotch punches are particularly good. Then, if you do get dirty looks, detach the "leash" and yell 'Attack!' Then, once your kid has the offenders in tears of pain say 'Bet you wish he was on a leash now!' :thumbsup2

Seriously though, I don't have kids, but have been to WDW a few times now. My guess is that you're not likely to get many dirty looks there. And as other posters said, it's your kid. You do what you think is right to keep him safe and any judgemental people can bugger off.

(Oh, and as a side note, I happen to think those little backpacks, like the monkey one, are insanely cute.)

We use a backpack leash with our ds who is 2. He likes to drop my hand and dart off without much notice, so until he grows out of that, we will use his backpack leash. It is peace of mind for me and safety for him.

Funny story. I had my son with the Monkey backpack harness. This mom stopped to chastise me at WDW about how awful it was to treat my child like a dog. While she was yelling at me her little angel ran off into a store. I kept my eye on her to make sure she was safe. When she was done yelling, I calmy looked at her and said, "I know where my child is do you know where yours is?" To which she replied, "of course, she is right next to me she does not wander, I know how to control my ............" When she looked down and frantically started calling for her. I said to her, "while you were busy being a busy body not only did I know where my son was, I knew where your daughter was too - she is in that store right there." SHe just walked off and proceeded to yell at her DD for running off and making her look bad.

Who gives a rat's hiney what other parents think of you.

The monkey one my DS even likes to wear around the house. He thinks it is his "friend".

I love this!

And to the OP, I say use the harness. Keep your little one safe and happy. If you get any looks or comments just keep walking or ignore them. I hope you have a great trip! :)

I used a leash / harness for my son at 2 1/2 - 3 years old at WDW (3 trips) -- of course if he was going to be strapped in his stroller, I took it off.

I used a monkey harness and a plain nylon one (no backpack) but I recently saw a mickey mouse harness.

I would start getting your child used to wearing it again before WDW.

I also have a wrist to wrist retractable string one too for an older child but I think the toddler harness is better for a little one.

We also have a "runner" and plan to use a harness on our next trip. We have used one with our DD in the past and have found parent at WDW to kind. We have often gotten the comment "wish we had one of those". At the end of the day, which is worse - rude looks & comments from strangers or a lost child???

Also, depending on when you go, those backpack harnesses can get very hot.

If it works for your child, just ignore others! Don't look at other people's faces; be busy enjoying your family and the sights of the park.

Funny story. I had my son with the Monkey backpack harness. This mom stopped to chastise me at WDW about how awful it was to treat my child like a dog. While she was yelling at me her little angel ran off into a store. I kept my eye on her to make sure she was safe. When she was done yelling, I calmy looked at her and said, "I know where my child is do you know where yours is?" To which she replied, "of course, she is right next to me she does not wander, I know how to control my ............" When she looked down and frantically started calling for her. I said to her, "while you were busy being a busy body not only did I know where my son was, I knew where your daughter was too - she is in that store right there."

:)

I wasn't able to use one with DS because of how he acted with it on. I should start by saying "treating a child like a dog" is HARDLY a bad thing; people LOVE their dogs, and keep them on leashes so their dogs aren't run over by cars etc. A child treated the same as a much-loved dog is a lucky kid!

Anyway I was raised with Alaskan Malamutes, and by a single mom, and when she took us some place altogether, she had me and my brother on harnesses and leads, and the dogs on leashes. And she never lost any of us.

Alas, my son thought HE was a sled dog as well, and nearly pulled my arm out of its socket more than once, and the harness just didn't work for him.

At 2, when we went to Disneyland, he walked holding hands, he was in the rental stroller, or he was on my back in the Ergo. Those are my non-harness methods of containment when he was that age (we didn't even own a stroller at that time, hence the rental).

You do what you have to do.

The only thing I suggest is to either get one with not that long of a leash or keep it short. I have seen some that are LONG and it could cause a tripping hazard in tight crowds.

My son was a VERY active toddler. He was 2 for his 1st trip to disney. I personally cringe when I see a kid on a leash, I feel bad for him/her. I know I would hate being on a leash. Being a parent is hard but teach him/her to stay near not to be treated like a dog. Eventually that leash is going to come off, and you'll have to teach him/her anyway.

My son was a VERY active toddler. He was 2 for his 1st trip to disney. I personally cringe when I see a kid on a leash, I feel bad for him/her. I know I would hate being on a leash. Being a parent is hard but teach him/her to stay near not to be treated like a dog. Eventually that leash is going to come off, and you'll have to teach him/her anyway.

And, here we go. I knew those perfect parents would show up eventually. I think it's a lot worse to be a lost toddler than one with a monkey on his back. ;)

Obviously there are (and always will be) differing opinions.

In my opinion, on top of doing what you think is right for your child, if you are at a point where there is still a wandering/running issue, WDW (or anyplace that big and crowded) is not the place to be teaching him unless you truly feel comfortable with it.

I've always felt bad for kids stuck in strollers when they didn't want to be and for kids who have to walk around all day with their arm stuck up in the air so they can hold Mommy's hand. No solution is perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter