todays exchange rate

today rate at thomas cook online $1.4440 UP 0.0094
£500 = $722.00 UP $4.70
UP since last friday $0.70
Record low monday 17th may $1.3786
Record high tuesday 1th nov $1.6357

Is it just me or does anyone else think us Brits seem to get too hung up by exchange rates? I could understand buying well in advance if the rate went to $2 to the £1 but worrying at fluctuations of cents seems like more bother than its worth in the grand scheme of things (unless it's a huge amount of money you are talking about, I was very pleased to get $1.52 to the £1 when I purchased 200 DVC points).

When it comes to spending money I just accept the fluctuations. I wouldn't let it ruin my holiday like some brits seem to. That's just my 0.02c worth.

P.S.

In my last 3 trips I haven't bothered getting dollars in advance. I've always used the nationwide debit card and withdrawn from ATMs.

Hi, that is one way of looking at it. But my self I look at it this way.

The difference between the highest point if the dollar and the lowest was only 6 months and it was $0.2570 just over 25 cents.

Just on £500 its $128.55 what can you buy with that?

that quiet a lot of mickey bars.

Hi, that is one way of looking at it. But my self I look at it this way.

The difference between the highest point if the dollar and the lowest was only 6 months and it was $0.2570 just over 25 cents.

Just on £500 its $128.55 what can you buy with that?

that quiet a lot of mickey bars.

that would be a few pairs of osh kosh jeans for my boys lol (i dont like mickey bars yack)

think the rate will keep going up? Im waiting to buy £500 moredollars

today rate at thomas cook online $1.4559 UP 0.0119
£500 = $727.95 UP $5.95
UP since last friday $6.65

in real turms since its lowest point the dollar has gone up $0.0773 or $ 38.65 extra when £500 exchanged

Current interbank rate is 1.491400

If you purchase using a post office credit card you will get $745.70 for £500

That would cover three character breakfasts for DD and I and ALMOST cover the tips too!

But I do agree with not allowing it to rule you. I know that there are times and for some it is the only way, where you budget every last penny but I have learnt that you can't take an exchange rate as a given when you book your trip. I have now formed a "lifestyle" :rotfl: of keeping a constant eye on the exchange rate. When I feel it is good, I buy some regardless of whether a trip is booked or not. It also means that a lot of the time I don't know exactly what I paid for my $$ as it gets blurred in the pool of transactions. This is kind of liberating for me.

Something someone (very wise) taught me once was never to convert your currency if you already have it. Easier said than done, but still good advice I try and stick to.

Still, I would be silly not to want a good deal and I do enjoy hopping onto this thread. I could check the rates myself, but so much nicer to do it with friends. ;)

i am thinking of buying £500 when it hits around the $1.60 mark , i still got a bit more to buy but we still got to see what happens.
it all depends on the next budget this autumn.
i keep a eye out.

les :santa:

We don't travel til Oct, but i too have $1.60 in my mind, and will start buying if it does hit that, after the crappy $1.37 last year and $1.95 the year before, i would be v.happy with owt.
But i secretly think everyone has a little bench mark in their heads and i am part of the $1.60 crew
Ali

We don't travel til Oct, but i too have $1.60 in my mind, and will start buying if it does hit that, after the crappy $1.37 last year and $1.95 the year before, i would be v.happy with owt.
But i secretly think everyone has a little bench mark in their heads and i am part of the $1.60 crew
Ali

:lmao: I see you have obviously bought currency and/or taken trips the same time as me! I also bought for 1.90-something in 08 and it was 1.37 last year when I went. Fortunately for last year's trip I bought the bulk of it the previous year JUST before the major slump and got around 1.90 too. The excess from that is still helping out some for this trip.

The thing is, it is what it is and while it is smart to watch and make the best choices you can, if it is really bad I either have to take more or spend less. Really nothing much else that can be done about it. We go in October too. :goodvibes

Current interbank rate is 1.491400

If you purchase using a post office credit card you will get $745.70 for £500

HI can you tell me how to access "interbank"? They are not familiar to me? where are they based? how can you order with them?
I'd be really grateful for any advice on using them
thank you

today rate at thomas cook online $1.4562 UP 0.0003
£500 = $728.10 UP $0.15
UP since last friday $6.80

have a great weekend, next update monday

HI can you tell me how to access "interbank"? They are not familiar to me? where are they based? how can you order with them?
I'd be really grateful for any advice on using them
thank you

Interbank means the rate traded between banks - it's not a place as such that customers like us can access. It's useful for knowing where the real price of the currency is though to assess how a good a deal on offer is.
Generally travel agents/bureaux de change rates are a few cents below the interbank rate (if you're buying that is, they are well above if you're selling), other methods like Fairfx and the like have more competitive rates.
Then there's good old Crown Currency whose rates seem to come from somewhere I don't understand :rolleyes1

Interbank means the rate traded between banks - it's not a place as such that customers like us can access. It's useful for knowing where the real price of the currency is though to assess how a good a deal on offer is.
Generally travel agents/bureaux de change rates are a few cents below the interbank rate (if you're buying that is, they are well above if you're selling), other methods like Fairfx and the like have more competitive rates.
Then there's good old Crown Currency whose rates seem to come from somewhere I don't understand :rolleyes1

Just received $1000 dollars from Crown Currency this morning at $1.54.(Ah, the smell...it's so Florida!)
We hadn't used them before, and it was a bit of a leap of faith; but currency arrived as promised! Still need some more, but it's a nice start!!
They are currently offering $1.4962 for delivery 16/8-8/9 if anyone is interested.

Jules x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter