• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Today in History . . .

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
On October 17, 1933, Albert Einstein arrived in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany.

On October 17, 1973, Arab oil-producing nations announced they would begin cutting back on oil exports to Western nations and Japan; the result was a total embargo that lasted until March 1974.

On October 17, 1977, West German commandos stormed a hijacked Lufthansa jetliner that was on the ground in Mogadishu, Somalia, freeing all 86 hostages and killing three of the four hijackers.

On October 17, 1989, an earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale struck northern California, killing 67 people and causing $7 billion worth of damage.

That was one scary earthquake. Thank goodness, I knew that DH was on his way home from work (no bridge to cross) to watch the Bay Bridge Series (A's vs Giants) The parking lot he parked in was under a freeway, and it was hard to tell on TV exactly where the crushed overpass was (it looked like the area he would park in, but turned out it wasn't!)

BTW, Deb, thanks for doing these - I read them often, but ususally zip through w/o comment. Just wanted you to know that I read them but usually don't comment!

Boy do I ever remember those gas lines back in '73. Lots of angry motorists back then.

Thanks, DEB :D . During the '89 earthquake my folks were in Candlestick Park awaiting the start of the World Series. They were sitting on the upper deck underneath a huge concrete overhang. As my DAD looked up and saw it vibrating from side to side, he turned to my MOM and said, "Honey, I think that we've had it. I love you":( . Fortunately, the stadium held together;) ;) .......

Groosch! Thanks Deb :)

ah yes..the embargo "I remember it well".... :( :mad:

Papa Goofy was spending alot of time in crisis meeting's, several of which was with then Pres. Nixion. Not happy times.

And I remember sportscaster Al Michaels broadcasting that game, and their look of panic as the earthquake hit . . .

I was in SF just 4 days later for a medical convention. Quite a sight to see huge buckled chunks of pavement and the collapsed section of the Bay Bridge. Some of the early arriving attendees reported feeling the aftershocks . . .

I was in San Fran the following October and the damage was still very visible.

Thanks for doing this for us, Deb :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter