To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Try to do something nice for someone else. We find we have CS left at the end of the trip and buy a CS for the person behind us. [/QUO

I absolutely agree! During our last stay, our family of 5 was unexpectedly treated to breakfast at the Boma by a family who had meals left over on their plan and were getting ready to leave. What a nice treat....that absolutely made my day! I would definately consider paying it forward and doing the same for someone else.

...we did something nice on the last day of our first visit to WDW - we had 1 day left on our multi-day passes, so we gave them away to random strangers - of course, at the time, we had no idea that they were the 'NON-EXPIRING' kind....:confused3

Wonderful story! When we were there last year my daughter was wearing her minnie dress into magic kingdom, we were going through the gates and my kids were both in their strollers. A CM came up to me and said "excuse my but your daughter's nose is bleeding and it is all over her dress" i was trying to get dress cleaned up (this would be the 1 and only day I didn't bring spare outfits!) and the CM asked us to come with her she wanted to get my daugher a new outfit for $20. I kept telling her no and that I could buy her something else to wear but she insisted. My daughter got a really cute shirt and skirt and all I had to pay was 8 bucks. I was very impressed and very thankful that she was nice enough to help take caer of my daughter.

We were at the Princess Breakfast in Akershus some years ago. A guest at the table next to ours got overly excited, jumping out of her seat to snap a picture of a visiting princess and overturned an entire tray of drinks from a nearby waiter on my DD while she was talking to Jasmine. My daughter was completely covered in Orange Juice! I swear I wanted to cry, she looked so distraught. Even though this girl was in her teens, she didn't bother to apologize! A CM helped clean my daughter up, and gave us a written coupon for Mouse Gears where we got new clothes (including socks and undies) for her, and saved our day. It wasn't Disney's fault that this guest dumped a half-pitcher of OJ on a 5 year old girl, but they made it right and covered the cost of new clothes (around $40) to turn a bad start into a great day. We couldn't thank the cast members enough!

As far as "tips", we always pack an extra large carry-on bag in our suitcase for the trip home for souvenirs and Disney clothes we'll be purchasing on our trip. We always carry a small spray-on (not lotion) sunscreen to quickly apply during the day while at the parks. The Florida sun will sometimes surprise you with a quick burn. I got sunpoisoning at WDW when I was about 8 years old. Always get a photopass card right away when you start your vacation, and take every opportunity to let staff photogs snap a quick picture wherever you are in the parks. I usually buy the CD, because it can have over a hundred great photos at the gates, with characters, and even some rides! The photogs usually get pictures that I can't get, such as whole family shots that are priceless. The CD's are expensive, but worth it IMO and you can always check the pictures online after your trip and buy the individual pictures then if you want them.

Best spot for viewing Illuminations is the International Gateway(believe that's what it's called) Just walk to the end of the bridge and that's the best viewing area IMO. You can view the fireworks head on for best show, and when it's over you are already have a head start on everyone else for the exit.

A lot of people feel you need to stake out the "best seat" hours before the show.. Not true. International gateway is big to allow alot of people to stand and watch. Be careful because it can get busy in that area, and depending on how tall you are, you may not be able to get a good view of the globe. Not matter where you stand you will get a great view of the fireworks.

-Epcot Custodial Cast Member

- Please be nice! A family that says please and thank you just about makes my day, and I always try to go out of my way to give them extra attention. The family that clicks their fingers at me and is rude/demanding doesn't make me want to spend that much time with them.

SO true. Back when I was a server I HATED it when people snapped their fingers at me. Not the way to get my attention. It's just plain rude. A simple "excuse me" will do fine, thank you. One guy was so dang rude about it, snapping his fingers at me I finally looked at him and said "I'm not a DOG, sir - you can speak to me like a human being." He turned about ten shades of red. Rude people suck. Just because you're paying for a service doesn't give you the right to be a donkey's behind!

i worked in hotels for years, and always feel that wait staff get a very raw deal, we are always polite, my kids are polite and say please or thankyou and actually fight about who is going to say "thankyou" and hand over the tip, and yes, they do chase the wait staff around the restaurant with wodges of cash:lovestruc, i dont like leaving cash on tables, maybe its the brit in me, i just like to have the courtesy to say "thankyou" not leave the cash like it is some dirty secret on the table... wierd view i guess:rotfl2:
we have had some lovely character interactions, due to my son having asd with have a gac, and we wave it at handlers, literally;), so they know and characters are generally great with him.
loving this thread
tracy

I don't know about this. We were always that family that got the room over the dumpsters. AKL, WL,CR every resort we stayed at we got the worst room possible, the one next to the service elevator, or the janitor's closet etc. Even at the Poly we always got the room with the parking lot view. Sigh.

Finally a guy DH works with told him he had asked for an upgrade when staying at standard view garden wing CR and he was given MK view concierge! I knew DH was going to be cranky if we ended up with the dumpster view again so I asked for an upgrade at check in and the CM gave us a beautiful water view. It wasn't concierge but what the heck it beat the dumpsters.

If your room is going to make or break your vacation pay for what you want. If your cheap like me (yeah the Poly's really cheap, hah!) politely ask for what you want and consider it a bonus if you get it. Personally I like the building next to the parking lot at the Poly , I've just learned to request to be on the side away from the parking lot. Since nobody requests that building I always get what I ask for.

Just another thought on this one, a room isn't always what it seems! Last time at the WL we checked in (best friends in the room next door) and we both made a joke about how we didn't pay for upgraded rooms and boy did it show -- really bad view of the ground below. We didn't care though cause we aren't "view" people. THEN we got back to our room that night. OMG -- beautiful view of the Castle through the trees. I must have stared at it all night. And it worked out great for my friends with their son -- he wasn't old enough to stay for the fireworks but they would make him watch them at night from the room and then he knew it was bed time right after. God, I loved that trip!!!!!!

Just another thought on this one, a room isn't always what it seems! Last time at the WL we checked in (best friends in the room next door) and we both made a joke about how we didn't pay for upgraded rooms and boy did it show -- really bad view of the ground below. We didn't care though cause we aren't "view" people. THEN we got back to our room that night. OMG -- beautiful view of the Castle through the trees. I must have stared at it all night. And it worked out great for my friends with their son -- he wasn't old enough to stay for the fireworks but they would make him watch them at night from the room and then he knew it was bed time right after. God, I loved that trip!!!!!!

:sad1: ....*sniff*, *sniff* - God, I just LOVE a happy ending....

You can get filtered water for free at any place that has fountain drinks. Second, if you want bottled water, order it from Costco for $7 for 24 bottles including shipping. Have them ship it to your resort.

Costco? Your Kidding right? They DO that???????

OMG what an AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:worship::worship::worship:

toontown.jpg

I have to admit that sometimes I have rushed DS - but mostly because there is a big line up behind us and I dont want to seem like I am 'hogging' the characters.....but sometimes I think I am too much that way and should stop and smell the roses a bit.

We were at the Princess Breakfast in Akershus some years ago. A guest at the table next to ours got overly excited, jumping out of her seat to snap a picture of a visiting princess and overturned an entire tray of drinks from a nearby waiter on my DD while she was talking to Jasmine. My daughter was completely covered in Orange Juice! I swear I wanted to cry, she looked so distraught. Even though this girl was in her teens, she didn't bother to apologize! A CM helped clean my daughter up, and gave us a written coupon for Mouse Gears where we got new clothes (including socks and undies) for her, and saved our day. It wasn't Disney's fault that this guest dumped a half-pitcher of OJ on a 5 year old girl, but they made it right and covered the cost of new clothes (around $40) to turn a bad start into a great day. We couldn't thank the cast members enough!....

...what an awesome story! My faith in humanity is restored!

Thanks to all of you for having a positive perspective on how to treat people with respect. I do love vacationing and it's important that I remember that life is not all about how I can be blessed, but how I can be a blessing to others.

Same thing happened to us at WL. We went for our anniversary and the CM said she was going to give us a great view room. We saw the smokehouse and rooftop so we thought she had been joking but at night the castle was lit up and we got to see Holiday Wishes sitting on our bed. It was the best view and trip ever.

Great tips. If you are going to WDW for a special event let the CM know at checkin. We went for our honeymoon to POR and she put us in a building in the back away from the pool but close to the bus stop. It was so quiet. We will be taking our son for the fist time in December so i will mention that and see if it will get us an upgrade.

I am not a waitress and never have been, but find this just very rude.... :scared1:
I don't like ANYONE to snap their fingers at me... !!!!

I politely raise my hand as I was taught in grade school...to get someones attention.... I am just saying
I have raised my sister (19 yrs younger than me and my daughter) to ALWAYS SAY PLEASE & THNAK YOU.... My husband once kicked my sister when she was about 12 yrs, under the table for not telling wait staff thank you after being warned a couple times... to this day she is GROWN and uses her MANNERS.... :lmao:

I am planning our first trip to WDW and have been planning and planning what do to when etc but after reading this thread in it's entirety I believe I am just going to walk my kids around the park, enjoy everything we see and if we get on a ride - well all the better.
I feel so much better about just BEING there as opposed to DOING Disney. :lovestruc

I am more excited to experience the magic in teh park now - Thanks to all of you! :wizard:

SO true. Back when I was a server I HATED it when people snapped their fingers at me. Not the way to get my attention. It's just plain rude....

Amazing, isn't it - how some people think they can treat others. I don't care what job someone has - folks deserve to be treated with respect. Reminds me of that line from The Sound of Music with the captain and the whistle "Oh, no, sir. I'm sorry, sir. I could never answer to a whistle. Whistles are for dogs and cats and other animals, but not for children and definitely not for me. It would be too... humiliating. "

People who act as though they are somehow above those in service positions really are low-lifes themselves.

Yet another example of how Disney goes above and beyond. . .:)

Definitely. BAck in 2008 I was getting ready to treat my boys to some frozen treats with my key card. Unfortunately I was not aware that some locations can't accept the key card as payment and I didn't carry any money with me that day. Before I could even turn to my kids to break the bad news to them, the CM picked up his cell phone and pretended to get a call from Mickey. Well, Mickey told him our treats were on the house. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter