• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To take service dog or not to take that is the question

lovespoohbear

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip to wdw in May of 2007 and I am trying to decide on taking my service dog. I live in se Texas so I know the weather in Orlando. Shocker is a black lab and I am worried of her getting overly heated and having to "drag" her around the world. I really want to take her but I don't know. Please anyone who has taken their service dog to wdw please help me out. Please share your experiences. also has anyone stayed at AKL with their service dog?

I have seen many service dogs at WDW. One was for a lady with MS and had 92 commands! I saw another one at Epcot....he/she must have been for hearing or something...it was a small dog that was riding between the owners feet on a candy apple red scooter!

I hope someone with better info comes along soon. I wonder if there is someplace at Disney you can call...or maybe where your dog was trained? I would think one thing would be....this baby is an integral part of your life....how will you function pyschically and emotionally without him or her? My cats aren't service animals and I still don't sleep well without them :)

I know you will make the best decision for all of you!

lovespoohbear said:
I am planning a trip to wdw in May of 2007 and I am trying to decide on taking my service dog. I live in se Texas so I know the weather in Orlando. Shocker is a black lab and I am worried of her getting overly heated and having to "drag" her around the world. I really want to take her but I don't know. Please anyone who has taken their service dog to wdw please help me out. Please share your experiences. also has anyone stayed at AKL with their service dog?

I don't have any info either, but I have seen several service dogs at WDW, too.

There is one Dis poster here, I believe her name is Videogal. Her signature shows a picture of her and her service dog. Maybe you could pm her or maybe she will see your thread and help you out.

I visited WDW witha friend and his service dog. The CM's were GERAT! My friend carried a collapsible water bowl and every hour or so gave the dog water--all the food service places are more than happy to provide a cup of fresh cool water to put in the bowl.

There are specified dog walk places at each park--I can't recall where anymore, sorry, but the CM's will be able to tell you.

The dog can't ride on some of the rides, and the CM's won't hold the dog. But at Alien Encounter they did anyhow.

Anne

I live in Florida and my friend has a service dog (guide and hearing). We take Kimball everywhere with us. Kimball is a black lab also. So bring your service dog and enjoy. Be sure to bring a bowl with you to give the dog water and he will be fine.

Disney will let you kennel your dog for free, useful if you go to a water park. Most of the places you walk your dog are "back stage". Any CM will take you.

Your dog can go with you on some attractions, for others you'll just do a baby swap. Any CM will fill up your dogs water bowl but you can just use a water fountain or even the sink in a bathroom.

I can't help you with AKL, I'd contact special services so you can get a room that's accessible to a place where you can walk your dog. It looks like some rooms in the AKL might be a LONG walk before you can get to a place to walk your dog.

If you normally take your dog outside on hot days, and if you have a service animal I'd think you would, then there really isn't any reason not to bring your dog.

A lot of people are going to want to pet your dog. Decide in advance if you are going to bend your normal rules or if you want to politely ask people not to.

I have a service dog and live in Orlando, so I guess he is used to the heat/humidity here. One thing to think about is the heat of the pavement on his paws- it can be scorching. WDW is very accomodating to anyone with a service dog. Kathy

lovespoohbear said:

I know people who have stayed at AKL with their SD. It is very distracting and your dog should have a lot of regular exposure to wild animals, for instance my SD and I live in Amish country and we are used to cougars, cows, deer, etc. We also go to the zoo TWICE a month when it is nice out. Still it my main objective were relaxing and not a "training/eperince trip" I would not stay at AKL. Too many intresting smells and my SD is used to just about everything that is there. The zoo loves when he visits as the giffires come to say hello and they get the cameras out of them licking each other.

That said, I can't imagine why if you need a service dog you would leave it at home unless he were sick or going to a country he is not allowed in. Disney is hard on the body and soul and you may find yourself needing him to step up his tasks.

I am going with 2 friends and their SDs and my SD to Disney in 7 days. I will be going back in late june for 7 days 7 nights. My dog is a golden and has lots of hair. My best advice is get one of the cooling bandanas for him, take you travel water bowl and plan of resting in shade or going back to AC during the hottest part of the day. Your SD should be fine...

I agree with the above poster about resting both yourself and your dog. I also have a golden who is shedding like crazy right now and I love the idea of a cooling bandana when it gets warmer outdoors. Being at WDW with all the extra stimulation is exhausting for anyone. Also the heat makes it difficult for some to have an appetite. Kathy

(just thought I'd add I've bought cooling bandanas at Wal Mart)

As I was lying in bad last night...not sleeping....I thought. What about his paws? I know my family does alot more walking at WDW than any other time and place. Would the little paws be okay on that pavement for many hours? Guess these are questions someone who has a SD should answer.

Of course...we could arrange to meet down there and I could dog-sit part of the time :)

Meezers said:
As I was lying in bad last night...not sleeping....I thought. What about his paws? I know my family does alot more walking at WDW than any other time and place. Would the little paws be okay on that pavement for many hours? Guess these are questions someone who has a SD should answer.

Of course...we could arrange to meet down there and I could dog-sit part of the time :)

My SD has all weather boots for winter (because of the salting on paths, etc) and for hot pavement I soak his boots in cold water and put them on. Helps keep his pads protected and his body cool as dogs sweat through their feet.

bumpysheep said:
My SD has all weather boots for winter (because of the salting on paths, etc) and for hot pavement I soak his boots in cold water and put them on. Helps keep his pads protected and his body cool as dogs sweat through their feet.
Are the boots like the boots dogs wear in winter? For Christmas Santa gave her some boots but they were for like snow. Can you just get the boots at petsmart?

I don't have a service dog, but have dogs. I also have these boots and bought mine on Ebay. I use these especially when we're camping as pebbles get stuck in my newfs pads. We also have a lab and they do fare better in the heat than our newfs. I would say so long as you keep him hydrated, give him breaks during the day in some shade, and maybe look into the boots he should be fine.

Another poster, "videogal" mentioned purchasing the boots for her dog last summer- maybe she'll know the site or you could do a search on Google, etc. I thought it was a great idea, although she said her dog wasn't too pleased with the idea of wearing them, lol. Kathy

lovespoohbear said:
Are the boots like the boots dogs wear in winter? For Christmas Santa gave her some boots but they were for like snow. Can you just get the boots at petsmart?

You can get some at petsmart. You can also get inexpensive ones from PetEdge or Care-a-lot online. Just make sure the ones you get have the sock part at the top since they stay on your dogs foot better. The boots I use we also use in the winter, only in the summer they get soaked in cold water.

Anouther option is a product called Mushers wax. It forms a coating on the pad of the feet that protects against the heat of the pavement. The dog does not even know they have anything on. With a lot of walking it will need to be reapplied but it comes in a small canister and can be carried with you. Petsmart probably sells something like this but your dog should be fine at Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter