To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Really enjoyed reading your Race & Trip Reports! Sorry to hear you finally caught COVID, get well soon!

Looking forward to read your Disneyland Report ;-) I hope to do another Dopey, maybe in 2024. We are not sure right now, where we and when we travel for our Honeymoon. Maybe I can convince Christina doing another Disney Trip besides our Honeymoon 8-)

Thanks! It was bound to happen eventually. At least the timing was reasonably accommodating in that happened after the vast majority of the trip.

Best of luck on registering for Dopey in 2024 if you do it! Disney is a great place to honeymoon!

Seriously, this is one of the all-time best race photos ever!

This is my strategy exactly. I stay on the left side during the walk over to see those in the front of the other corrals, then switch to the inside to maximize costume peeping both before and after the hairpin.

Thanks! I really like that photo. May get it printed.

Solid strategy.

What an epic series of race/trip reports! It seems like you and the rest of your family really had a great time! Awesome collection of photos, too! I kind of wish I could have been a spectator with you playing Maui while running, because I really can't picture that sort of thing. :)

I can commiserate on the motion sickness - I pretty easily get motion sick, so good to get the warning on GotG.

I think I was going to comment on a few other items, but it took so long for me to read everything that I forgot what they were, LOL!

Thanks! We did have a great time. You've got to do more Disney races if you can't imagine what an outspoken Maui would look like on course. Lots of crazy runners doing crazy things. Definitely different than the normal race experience.

GotG is an indoor roller coaster that spins/rotates. I can do indoor, but the spinning was too much for me.

You and G both got some really great pictures. I can't get over how much she's grown since last year's pictures. Your Maui costume turned out so great!

Thanks! Happy to be building these memories with her. I'm happy with how the Maui costume turned out. The hook wasn't really ever a bother, and I could still run fast with it. The tank is quality enough that I could wear it for a different runDisney race solo and it would still look good. So I'm pleased overall. G and I are already discussing the next costumes for Disneyland, but that's a discussion for another day.

2023 DopeyBadger Spring Racing Season Prediction Contest: Shamrock Shuffle 10k
Original Post

Current Standings after Disney Princess Weekend:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 8.43.15 AM.png

G has taken the early lead.

Shamrock Shuffle 10k

The Shamrock Shuffle 10k is this weekend in Madison (link). The course is far from flat and does some have the harder Madison hills (sometimes twice). The downhills are not gentle and so you don't usually make up a ton of time on those either. All in all, it's a pretty hard course compared to the flat Disney courses. Elevation gain of 282 ft in 6.22 miles is 45 feet per mile which is about the same as my Jack/Jill course. But not something I generally do for speed workouts. It should minimally cost me about 5-7 sec/mile.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 8.46.10 AM.png

We are projected to get 3-7 inches of snow on Thursday. So it remains to be seen what the course will be like come Saturday morning. The majority of the course is on the road, but there is a 1.5 mile stretch on bike path. So who knows what the condition of that will be. Weather wise, we're hitting a bit of a cold snap Saturday morning and it'll likely be between 15-20F. Really low wind though which is unusual for Madison. So that's a definite plus.

Lastly, I'm coming off COVID and a week off from running. So it's hard to say what shape I'll be in come Saturday. I've run twice thus far. Aerobically I feel fine. My HR is about where I would expect it to be, as is my breathing when running. But my muscles are still achy and sore. So I'm definitely still feeling the after effects. With that being said, Tuesday's run felt better than Monday's run. I did 9:05 pace on Monday and 8:45 pace on Tuesday. Both felt easy and unchallenging.

With all that being said, it's hard to say what will happen on Saturday. But as of right now, I do plan on racing it. I think best case scenario given everything is probably something around a 41:30. While that wouldn't be a PR (39:54) it would be my 2nd fastest 10k. I've only ever gone sub-42 once.

I'm putting my guess in at 42:30 just to be conservative.

Current Guesses:

41:50 - @Baloo in MI
41:59 - @JAMIESMITH
42:12 - @nancipants
42:30 - Me
43:00 - G
43:08 - @bovie
43:10 - @mrsg00fy
43:16 - @DerTobi75
43:37 - @azrivest
43:30 - @kps7795
43:43 - @MissLiss279
44:07 - @Naomeri
44:30 - @SheHulk
44:44 - @flav

Last edited:

2023 DopeyBadger Spring Racing Season Prediction Contest: Shamrock Shuffle 10k
Original Post

Current Standings after Disney Princess Weekend:

View attachment 744899

G has taken the early lead.

Shamrock Shuffle 10k

The Shamrock Shuffle 10k is this weekend in Madison (link). The course is far from flat and does some have the harder Madison hills (sometimes twice). The downhills are not gentle and so you don't usually make up a ton of time on those either. All in all, it's a pretty hard course compared to the flat Disney courses. Elevation gain of 282 ft in 6.22 miles is 45 feet per mile which is about the same as my Jack/Jill course. But not something I generally do for speed workouts. It should minimally cost me about 5-7 sec/mile.

View attachment 744900

We are projected to get 3-7 inches of snow on Thursday. So it remains to be seen what the course will be like come Saturday morning. The majority of the course is on the road, but there is a 1.5 mile stretch on bike path. So who knows what the condition of that will be. Weather wise, we're hitting a bit of a cold snap Saturday morning and it'll likely be between 15-20F. Really low wind though which is unusual for Madison. So that's a definite plus.

Lastly, I'm coming off COVID and a week off from running. So it's hard to say what shape I'll be in come Saturday. I've run twice thus far. Aerobically I feel fine. My HR is about where I would expect it to be, as is my breathing when running. But my muscles are still achy and sore. So I'm definitely still feeling the after effects. With that being said, Tuesday's run felt better than Monday's run. I did 9:05 pace on Monday and 8:45 pace on Tuesday. Both felt easy and unchallenging.

With all that being said, it's hard to say what will happen on Saturday. But as of right now, I do plan on racing it. I think best case scenario given everything is probably something around a 41:30. While that wouldn't be a PR (39:54) it would be my 2nd fastest 10k. I've only ever gone sub-42 once.

I'm putting my guess in at 42:30 just to be conservative.

Current Guesses:

42:12 - @nancipants
42:30 - Me
43:43 - @MissLiss279
44:07 - @Naomeri
43:30 (based on the predicted weather)

Just binged your whole trip report! Besides Covid sounds like it was a fantastic trip! Treasure those 5k's with your daughter. Lifetime memories!

Not sure how I feel about your evaluation of the Geyser Point Bison Burger - just ok.... To each their own I suppose! :)

Just binged your whole trip report! Besides Covid sounds like it was a fantastic trip! Treasure those 5k's with your daughter. Lifetime memories!

Not sure how I feel about your evaluation of the Geyser Point Bison Burger - just ok.... To each their own I suppose! :)

Thanks! I would agree that it was a great trip outside of COVID.

I take it you really like the Bison Burger from there? Maybe I have to give it another try.

Steph just told me that the hotel we booked for our Disneyland trip (Hotel Indigo) has gone from $280 to $490 (!). That's got to be some surge pricing, but regardless, we're pretty happy with our $280 price point. The hotel was recommended by Molly from Mammoth Club (Steph loves watching her and the Trackers).
I stayed there when I went to Disneyland many moons ago (2015)! I don’t remember much except that it was a close walk and I felt completely safe running alone in the am.

Best of luck this weekend! Sorry to hear about covid but glad it didn’t negatively impact your trip.

That trip sounds amazing! Sorry you got Covid. I am going to guess 43:08, only because I know how hard of a time I had returning to activity after I had it. Glad to hear you're running well though!

I stayed there when I went to Disneyland many moons ago (2015)! I don’t remember much except that it was a close walk and I felt completely safe running alone in the am.

Good to know!

Best of luck this weekend! Sorry to hear about covid but glad it didn’t negatively impact your trip.

Thanks!

That trip sounds amazing! Sorry you got Covid. I am going to guess 43:08, only because I know how hard of a time I had returning to activity after I had it. Glad to hear you're running well though!

Thanks!

Thanks! I would agree that it was a great trip outside of COVID.

I take it you really like the Bison Burger from there? Maybe I have to give it another try.
Yeah, it is my favorite burger on property, but I grew up with bison burgers so I am probably biased. Oh, and if not too late I would say 41:50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter