To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

To me, the main deterrent from hydrogels is the cost. I started trialing gummy candy during my runs this weekend just because it annoys me to pay $1+ every time I take a gel, and the Maurten hydrogel ones are even pricier. I might take three gels on a long run, and a $10/ week budget for gels just seems insane to me.

Certainly the costs can add up. I try to use cheaper things in training as substitutes. Like I use SIS Beta instead of Maurten 320 as a pre-run drink most of the time. SIS Beta isn't as good as Maurten 320, but I got a good deal on a bulk order a while ago. That's the other key, buy a lot when you can find a sale. The Feed is one place that puts Maurten on sale on occasion. They usually put out a blast email when it happens, so good to be on their email list. Same with Crank Sports (E-gel) which have sales every 4 months or so. But yea, all these items add up as consumables over time.

A reflection on Dopey 2018 which is coming up on 4 years ago now:

5k - 20:06 (remains my official PR to this day)
10k - 39:54 and 19:27 5k split (both remain my PRs to this day)
HM - 1:30:35 (remains my 2nd fastest HM; behind 1:28:40 Nov 2019 and ahead of 3rd at 1:33:32 during Oct 2017 M)
M - 3:15:59 (remains my 2nd fastest M; behind 3:14:05 Oct 2017 and ahead of 3rd at 3:20:52 Dopey 2017)

Final Cumulative Finish - 20th out of 7620 Dopey Runners

So all four races are either my fastest performance or my 2nd fastest performance lifetime. What an incredible four day span that was.

I'm also still holding on to a nine year streak of PR'ing a distance. So I'm really banking on this November M to keep that streak alive.

2012 - M
2013 - HM
2014 - 5k, 10k, HM, M (x2)
2015 - 10k, HM (x3), M
2016 - 5k, 10k (x2), M
2017 - 5k (x2), 10k (x2), M (x2)
2018 - 5k, 10k, HM
2019 - HM
2020 - Mile

A reflection on Dopey 2018 which is coming up on 4 years ago now:

5k - 20:06 (remains my official PR to this day)
10k - 39:54 and 19:27 5k split (both remain my PRs to this day)
HM - 1:30:35 (remains my 2nd fastest HM; behind 1:28:40 Nov 2019 and ahead of 3rd at 1:33:32 during Oct 2017 M)
M - 3:15:59 (remains my 2nd fastest M; behind 3:14:05 Oct 2017 and ahead of 3rd at 3:20:52 Dopey 2017)

Final Cumulative Finish - 20th out of 7620 Dopey Runners

So all four races are either my fastest performance or my 2nd fastest performance lifetime. What an incredible four day span that was.

I'm also still holding on to a nine year streak of PR'ing a distance. So I'm really banking on this November M to keep that streak alive.

2012 - M
2013 - HM
2014 - 5k, 10k, HM, M (x2)
2015 - 10k, HM (x3), M
2016 - 5k, 10k (x2), M
2017 - 5k (x2), 10k (x2), M (x2)
2018 - 5k, 10k, HM
2019 - HM
2020 - Mile
How did you calculate your overall Dopey finish in 2018?

What an amazing accomplishment to PR for 9 years straight! Really shows your dedication to improve.

Thanks! To some degree, it's reflective of me racing so infrequently. I've only done 46 official races in nine years (or an average of about 5 per year). I've kept the focus on training well. So when I race, it means my effort remains high quality since it's typically the sole focus of a single cycle. Given how the training and fitness have gone the last few years, I've got a feeling keeping this streak up is going to become harder and harder. With that being said, I still feel like I've got a little potential to cut on each of the current PRs.

Looks like the marathon went well. Right on target. Congrats!
Thanks!

I confirm that Maurten, Gu and Cliff Shots all were easily digested. Looking only at hydrogels, I had:
  • Half of Maurten 320 (fist bottle) by 4km
  • Maurten Gel 100 at 8km
  • Half of Maurten 320 (second bottle) around 19km
  • Marten CAF 100 at 25.5km

5 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 13/18

10/4/21 - M - OFF
10/5/21 - T - 3 x 2 mile @ M Tempo - 10 sec (Hansons Strength)
10/6/21 - W - 1.1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
10/7/21 - R - 9 miles @ M Tempo
10/8/21 - F - 1.1 mile @ run/walk with G + 5 miles @ Easy
10/9/21 - Sa - 5 min @ Easy w/ strides
10/10/21 - Su - 16 miles @ LR (in 3 parts due to lightning)

Total Run Miles - 55.3 miles
Total Run Time - 7:40 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:00 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 7:40 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 60°F; FL - 68°F
End: Temp+Dew = 65°F + 59°F; FL - 68°F

The goal was a 3x2 mile run at M Tempo - 10 sec. So based on the temps and recent M Tempo fitness, this should have been around a 7:22 min/mile. That didn't happen. I wore the Saucony Pros which have been causing issues with my knees on downhills, so today's workout was going to be kept on my flat route. The change worked and I had zero issues in these shoes. So I think I've nailed down the Pros use.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 12.35.23 PM.png

So last weekend's use of the Garmin 245's workout feature led me to believe that "laps" intervals longer than 1 mile were being displayed separately. So when I saw a 7:15 for mile 1 and a 7:10 for "mile 2" I thought that's because 7:10 was my pace for the second mile. Not that the actual pace was 7:05 for an average of 7:10. So last week's data misled me and the watch is indeed showing the average lap pace for the whole 2 mile lap. That led me to running these a little too fast overall. I thought I was increasing pace by 5 sec per lap, but I was increasing pace by 10 sec. So I ended up running a 7:14, 7:04, 7:03, 6:52, 6:47, and 6:48. The legs felt really good throughout the workout. I got that nice burning feeling in my stomach as I was hitting those 6:40s. Despite the temps and the pace compared to where I had last evaluated my fitness, the pace felt right. Too fast to be M Tempo, for sure. But not an unreasonable workout pace given the 0.5 mile resting intervals. Overall, I'm happy with it. Ended up as 10 miles, 78 min, 7:50 pace with HR of 140.

Wednesday

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 70°F + 58°F; FL - 70°F
End: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 58°F; FL - 70°F

G and I had an enjoyable run. I don't remember our topic of conversation. It mostly revolves around how her day at school went. We did 1.1 miles at 30/30 at 13:25 pace.

I took it super easy on my easy run. I was pretty sore from Tuesday's workout. And I still had Thursday's workout on tap. So I ended up shuffling my way to 4 miles, 38 min, 9:29 pace, and HR of 128.

Thursday

The forecast was calling for rain all day. So I took the day off from work to try and find 90 min of rain free running. It didn't work. I waited several hours in the morning and it looked like there was going to be 60-75 min break in the rain, so I took it.

Conditions - 🌧 Light Rain, Wind 8mph to 14mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 61°F; FL - 63°F
End: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 62°F; FL - 63°F

Well the rain held for a little bit. Like I feel like Mile 2-3 it started back up again. Maybe even sooner. And it went from a light rain to an absolute pour. So... so much for that.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 3.26.52 PM.png

Rain not withstanding, the run was excellent. I felt really comfortable from the start and the 7:15 GAP pace felt really natural. So I just kept up with it. I never really felt strained until I started to move the pace into the 7:03 and 7:00 during the last two miles of M Tempo. Then I could start to feel the effort. So the 7:15s felt really good at this T+D. The final average M Tempo was 7:14 and HR of 147. Adjusted for T+D is a 7:05 min/mile, and adjusted for grade makes it 7:03. Nice! The total run was 12 miles, 91 min, 7:35 pace and HR of 143. Body felt really good after the workout. I mean look at my 1.5 mile CD at 7:51 and 8:22 pace. Even after the 9 miles M Tempo, my body still was moving pretty good at an easy pace.

Friday

Woke up feeling good, but about mid-day my right leg was a little sore. Felt like something similar to my stress fracture on the back side of my leg. Although as I was driving home from work, I started to suspect it was a calf issue more than a bone issue. Maybe just a little tightness and overuse on the outside of my leg. So post-run I was going to want to give it some good attention on the foam roller.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 5mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 64°F; FL - 70°F
End: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 64°F; FL - 70°F

G and I did our 1.1 mile route in reverse. She saw some boys while we were out running and dropped the hammer on the pace. After we blazed past them, I was like what was up with that. She was like, I just wanted to make sure they knew I'm fast and faster than you. :car:. LOL! I was like, I can understand that, but make sure you run for yourself and not to always impress others. After that she calmed down her pace and we continued on our easy ways. Did 1.1 miles, 30/30, and 13:04 pace.

Feeling really sore again post-SOS day. I tried to keep it really easy again. The right leg was sore still, but as the run progressed it did feel better. Felt like a confirmation that it was just a little soreness in the calf. Ended up at 5 miles, 45 min, 9:04 pace, and HR of 130.

Saturday

Weighed in at 177 pounds. A little surprising gain of weight in the last two weeks of three pounds. But I'm not going to sweat it because I've been running well lately.

I had to run early because Steph had to work, but not terribly early.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 3mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 56°F; FL - 58°F
End: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 57°F; FL - 58°F

My body had no intention of going on the hard side of easy today. So I just settled into a nice and easy effort. Even less of an issue with the right leg today after a good hard foam rolling session the night prior. In all it was 6.1 miles, 54 min, 8:52 pace, and HR of 127.

Sunday

Another day threatening rain. When I woke up there was a slight chance at 7am and then good until at least 10am. So I thought I had a good window for a 2hr run.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 25mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 62°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 62°F; FL - 67°F

I drank my Maurten 320 and then checked the lightning map one last time. I really should have checked prior to drinking the Maurten 320. Because I could see some lightning at the border or WI and ILL and was unlikely to get the whole run in. As soon as I started running, I could see the lightning in the distance without sound (hence really far away). But by the time I hit about 1.5 miles, I could tell this run was going to get cut short. So I headed back home to jump on the treadmill. I did 2.5 miles, 19:30, 7:46 pace, and HR of 135. And then I ran inside to jump on the treadmill.

Part 2! I set the treadmill to 7.5 mph (8:00 pace) and settled into a movie. I asked Steph to keep an eye on the weather for me and let me know when the lightning passed and then I'd head back out. I did one hill at about 15-21 min by increasing the %grade each minute by one. After 4.1 miles and 32 min, Steph let me know things had cleared up and so I headed back outside.

Part 3!! I had done 6.6 miles thus far, and so I knew I needed 9.4 miles to wrap up my 16 miler. Before I started running, I mentioned to Steph how the world felt like it was moving underneath me. I was having some odd after effects from running on the treadmill. It got even weirder once I started running. I was running, but it didn't actually feel like I was moving forward. Like there was a serious disconnect between my mind and body. Thankfully the feeling passed after about 0.5 miles or so. The run felt incredibly comfortable throughout. Never pressing. And just a nice stroll around the neighborhood. Even at the end, I was never really pushed at all.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.16.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.16.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.16.54 PM.png

The sun peaked out a little at the end, but overall the weather was nice. Overall it was 19:30 + 32 min + 72 min (total of 2:03:30). For part 3 it was 7:39 pace and HR of 141. Adjusted for temps and grade it was 7:24 pace. I really like how it went. I'm in a good place 5 weeks to go. My Garmin 245's VO2max was 56 (an increase of one). It now predicts a 3:14 marathon. Body is feeling pretty good. Just have to stay healthy and get good weather on race day. Things are lining up well.

Understanding the life lesson you needed to share with G, gotta say I smiled a little at her comment. :) Did you figure out the disconnect on the treadmill?

P.S. 5 weeks into your 2018 Goofy Training Plan to prep for my Wine and Dine Half. Not expecting the PR that produced last time (I'm older) but fingers crossed for a happy return to in-person racing!

Understanding the life lesson you needed to share with G, gotta say I smiled a little at her comment. :)

Trust me, I get it. She's got my competitive spirit. She was asking on a previous run what it would take for us to win the Princess 5k. I let her know that that was unrealistic goal this time around, but maybe some day. She then proceeded to show me "just how fast she is" and then re-asked if we could win.

Did you figure out the disconnect on the treadmill?

The internet says:

You feel some amount of disorientation after stepping off of a treadmill because of your sense of proprioception. That’s your body’s sense of where it is in space.

When your legs are moving, your brain expects to see you moving some direction. Since you’re not moving in the expected direction, your brain has to readjust when you exit the treadmill and actually start moving forward again.

So the body and mind were disconnected on movement in space.

P.S. 5 weeks into your 2018 Goofy Training Plan to prep for my Wine and Dine Half. Not expecting the PR that produced last time (I'm older) but fingers crossed for a happy return to in-person racing!

Just remember to adjust the pacing to current fitness and not whatever you were entering that plan.

And unless you're over 55 yo, then being 3-4 years older doesn't necessarily mean you can't hit old paces. You'll see a small decline in abilities up till about age 55, and then the drop off is much more significant (based on the research I read a few months ago based on real people and not elites).

Regardless, enjoy your return to in-person racing!

After doing some post-LR analysis on this past weekend's 16 miler, from a HRvPace perspective it is better than anything in 2021, 2020, 2019, or 2018. However, it still ranks below quite a few 2017 runs. Not by much though. Maybe 5-10 sec/mile from peak LR fitness levels. It is better than anything within about 2 months before Lakefront 2017 (my PR). I saw good fitness in July/early August 2017, and then ran myself into the ground prior to the Oct 2017 race. Whereas, for Dopey 2018 I was seeing peak level LRs in late December prior to January race. So as long as the next two LRs stay good, then I'm in a good place entering Madison 2021. Might lay off a little on tomorrow's workout to induce some extra recovery. I'll see how the body feels.

I was running, but it didn't actually feel like I was moving forward.

LOL, us slow runners feel that way all the time. :rotfl2:

You'll see a small decline in abilities up till about age 55, and then the drop off is much more significant (based on the research I read a few months ago based on real people and not elites).

Dang, I'm a lot closer to 55 than I would like to consider.

4 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 14/18

10/11/21 - M - OFF
10/12/21 - T - 1.3 mile @ run/walk with G + 6.7 miles @ Easy
10/13/21 - W - 9 miles @ M Tempo
10/14/21 - R - 5 miles @ Easy
10/15/21 - F - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 5 miles @ Easy
10/16/21 - Sa - 8 miles @ Easy
10/17/21 - Su - 10 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 49.0 miles
Total Run Time - 6:56 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:00 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 6:56 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

This was going to be a tricky week from a scheduling standpoint. Steph was working five straight 12 hr days, which makes running harder because I've got a cap of about 60 min of running before I need to get back in the car to pick her up. So I decided to shift the schedule around. On a separate, but related note, I didn't like how my body was feeling on Tuesday coming off Sunday's 16 mile LR. It didn't feel like I was recovering as well as I had earlier in the training plan. So between the schedule conflicts and how I was feeling, I decided to not do the 2x3 mile strength workout, and move the 9 mile M Tempo to Wednesday.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 6mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 58°F; FL - 63°F
End: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 58°F; FL - 63°F

G and I did a 1.3 mile run at 30/30 in 13:13 min/mile. The discussion revolved around the dropping temps and whether she felt comfortable in tank/shorts or needed something more. Also talked about her day at school, which apparently involved her holding hands with a boy. It's nothing really apparently, they're just friends.

The run afterwards confirmed not doing the strength workout was a good choice. Could I have done it? Probably. But my body just needed another easy day. Ended up running 6.7 miles, 60 min, 9:01 min/mile and HR of 131.

Wednesday

M Tempo day! The weather wasn't looking great when I went to bed on Tuesday. There was a 50% chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. So I prepared everything necessary to run Tuesday night for an early Wednesday morning. I woke up at 3am and checked the forecast update. I was down to a 25% chance of afternoon thunderstorms, and decided to go back to bed based on those odds. The choice paid off because by 5pm there wasn't any rain anywhere.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 18mph to 35mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 58°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 59°F; FL - 62°F

Super windy day! The weather was decent otherwise. The adjusted goal pace was a 7:11 min/mile based on the temps.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 11.41.43 AM.png

The run felt good. So that extra day of easy was well timed. I felt comfortable for a majority of the run, and was probably pressing a bit more on the last two miles. But with a goal of a 7:11 pace, I was really tight on that for a grand majority of the M Tempo miles. As the temps continue to drop, so does my M Tempo pace and how I feel during it. It's all about staying patient sometimes.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 11.51.11 AM.png

I'd say the adjusted 7:05 pace feels close. It's probably still too fast, but I feel like on a good day, it may be possible.

The best part was I didn't really have any injury issues or niggles after the run. It's been a while since the knee issues and the ankle issues are even further in the rear view mirror. So thankfully moving in the right direction. At least I was until I was stretching after this M Tempo run. I was doing my stretch where I hang over the kitchen countertop with my upper body to stretch out my upper hamstrings and backside. I was still wearing my Next% (like I've done plenty of time before), but suddenly my balance slipped a bit and then my back tweaked on me. Uggghhhh... My back/hip was pretty sore for the remainder of the night. Honestly, I was pissed at myself because I put myself in this position. I took some Tylenol before bed, which I don't typically take pain relievers.

Thursday

I woke up and my back/hip was still sore. I took some Tylenol throughout the day which dampened the pain. I was a little hesitant about doing the easy run as scheduled. Because with the pain reliever I wasn't sure whether I was causing more problems.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 9mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 50°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 60°F + 50°F; FL - 62°F

The run itself wasn't that bad. I was a little stiff/sore, but overall not much to say about it. The run was 5 miles, 45 min, 9:02 pace, and HR of 130. Afterwards, I had to quick stretch, jump in the car and pick up Steph. That went poorly for my back which completely stiffened up during the ride. I think I was holding it in a position that I wouldn't normally if not for the pain relievers earlier in the day. So the pain was definitely more spread throughout the entire lower back than when it was isolated to a more specific area.

Friday

Holy cow! Am I like 80 years old now? Is this my new life.... Lol! The back was so stiff for the majority of the day. I didn't take any pain relievers during the day with hope that I would be able to "feel" putting my back in bad positions. I didn't feel like I could stand up straight it was so stiff.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 45°F; FL - 58°F
End: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 45°F; FL - 58°F

G and I did a 1 mile route using our 30/30. The temps had dropped more and so she decided to wear a long sleeve. Decided she wants to wear gloves at this temp as well moving forward. The run was great. She was quick on her intervals. We finished at 12:40 pace which to my recollection is one of our faster runs this year. And she felt decent afterwards. So things are progressing well there.

Afterwards I did a 5 mile easy run at 8:46 pace and 44 min. Didn't feel as comfortable running this second easy day in a row as I would like. The HR was 130 bpm and in a good place.

I had to leave to pick up Steph from work again right after getting home. So I adjusted my car seat to try and keep me more upright and not slouching as much. To try and help avoid holding my back in a bad place again. Overall, I felt better after this car ride than I did the day prior.

Saturday

Early morning because I had to finish before Steph had to go to work. So I was up at 4:45am and out the door by 6am. Weighed in at 175.5 pounds which is down from last week. but still a touch higher than two weeks ago.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 10mph to 20mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 39°F + 37°F; FL - 33°F
End: Temp+Dew = 39°F + 37°F; FL - 33°F

Hooray, the weather is finally dropping! Time to fly! I wore tank/shorts, medium gloves, and a headband. Body feeling better, but not quite 100%. In all the run was 8 miles, 69 min, 8:41 pace, and HR of 131.

Sunday

Long run day! Another early morning because of Steph working, but not as early as Saturday. Up at 5:30am and out the door at 7:00am.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 7mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 35°F; FL - 33°F
End: Temp+Dew = 41°F + 36°F; FL - 33°F

Based on a Hansons fitness level of a 7:05 min/mile M Tempo, my LR pace would be a 7:35. So I was aiming to be around there with the hopes that my HR would be sub-140.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 12.22.56 PM.png

I had to shake some rust off, and then slowly but surely things started to feel more comfortable. I felt like I was in a good place for the majority of the run. I did a couple checks on my HR to make sure I wasn't overdoing it. Confirmed that I was running sub-140s when I should be, and stayed at the same effort level. In all it was 10 miles, 76 min, 7:37 pace, and HR of 138. So the grade adjusted pace is in the right place and about 5-7 seconds per mile still from peak fitness.

Entering peak week. A 3x2 mile strength workout, 10 mile M Tempo, and 16 mile LR. The weather goes back up a touch, but all in all not too bad. Then it'll be taper time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter