To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Well good news! I've been waiting to find a 10k to fall on my "down" weekend either 5 or 7 weeks out from the Madison Marathon. And within the last week, two options have opened up each on separate weekends. So now I've got a "B" race either 10/2 or 10/16 that won't interfere with the peaks of my plan. I also wanted to wait until a race in October because in WI that's traditionally when the temps start to drop to sub T+D 100. Downside is both races are traditionally quite small at like 20-25 10k runners and are a little over an hour away. But better than nothing. I'm still hoping a 10k in Madison opens up, but no movement there at this point. Won't sign up till much closer to gauge current fitness and weather outlook.

Because I'll forget at some point, the 10/2 race (Granite City) looks to be on a highway with little shoulder for a good bit of the run. Google Pedometer puts the race route at 6.6 miles. There's some wiggle in that number, but it's a little high. Elevation looks decent.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 9.08.44 AM.png

I've reached out to the other race for additional info since everything online about it is scarce.

14 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 4/18

7/19/21 - M - OFF
7/20/21 - T - 6 x 800m @ 5k pace
7/21/21 - W - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
7/22/21 - R - 1.5 mile WU + 6 miles @ M Tempo + 1.5 mile CD
7/23/21 - F - 5 miles @ Easy
7/24/21 - Sa - 6 min @ Easy w/ strides
7/25/21 - Su - 8 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 39.9 miles
Total Run Time - 5:44 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:00 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 5:44 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Another speed day!

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 61°F; FL - 78°F
End: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 62°F; FL - 78°F

Aiming for a 6 x 800m at 5k effort. The T+D adjusted split goal was 3:11-3:13. This was going to be the first sets of speed runs where the run interval really extended beyond the rest interval duration. So I expected things were going to get real. The 400s felt reasonably hard, the 600s were comfortable, so what would the 800s bring?

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 9.57.49 AM.png

Right from the outset, this was harder that either the 400s or 600s. The first rep felt ok, but after that I was really having to dig deep in order to hit these splits. With that being said, I was very close to my goal split range with splits of 3:13.5, 3:11.4, 3:13.1, 3:12.3, 3:14.5, and 3:12.6 (final average was 3:12.9). But admittedly, I was thankful to be done with it because I had to dig pretty deep to make this one happen. In total the run was 6.8 miles, 55 min, 8:12 pace, and HR of 143. From memory, everything felt reasonably good after this run with little to no lingering issues.

Wednesday

A well earned easy day with G.

Conditions - ☀ Clear, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 63°F; FL - 82°F
End: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 63°F; FL - 82°F

Still hot. We did our normal 30/30 for about a mile. Smiles, laughs, and it was over before it even felt like it started.

I did an additional 4 miles on my own. I don't remember anything specific. It was 4 miles, 38 min, 9:25 pace, and HR of 138. I was trying to take it easy in order to conserve energy for Thursday's 6 mile M Tempo.

Thursday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 13mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 77°F + 63°F; FL - 77°F
End: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 62°F; FL - 77°F

Temps were lowering than last week's M Tempo. I also tried to be a bit more conservative given how difficult that 6th mile was last week. The T+D adjusted goal pace was a 7:16 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.05.35 AM.png

The story was much the same as the week prior. The first five miles were decent comparatively when using GAP. The sixth mile lagged behind by a bit more and was a strong effort to maintain pace. But a total GAP difference of 14 seconds from fastest to slowest isn't bad and I'll take it. It was a challenge though and I have to keep reminding myself that current me is not the same me that'll show up at the start line in November. Based on the last 4 years of Garmin VO2max data, I'm in a good place right now. The T+D is masking these efforts and I've just got to keep my head down and trust the years of data to say that things will get better as we move into the Fall. The average M Tempo was 7:28 min/mile. The run overall was 9 miles, 83 min, 8:05 pace, and HR of 146.

Friday

G had just eaten dinner when I got home so she wasn't able to join me for our run.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 70°F; FL - 83°F
End: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 70°F; FL - 83°F

Nice and easy. I actually felt a lot better during this run that I expected given the day prior. The legs had a little bounce in them. Now that's not to say I was race ready, but rather things felt better and like I was starting to get some old form back. In total the run was 5 miles, 46 min, 9:10 pace, and HR of 138.

Saturday

Weighed in at 178.2 pounds. So that's down 11.2 pounds in 9 weeks. Happy with the progress. That now puts me lower than my May 2020 mile PR of 5:42, and closer to where I was during Disney 2020 at around 170-176. My goal is to get down to where I was during the November 2019 HM PR of 1:28 when I was 170 pounds. With roughly 8 pounds to go and 14 weeks to go, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

Nice easy run again.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 5mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 66°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 68°F; FL - 67°F

Conditions were warmer than last weekend. The legs had a good bounce to them again. Liking that feeling. My left ankle (November 2020 spot) and right ankle (August 2018 spot) were both a little unhappy with me. Did some strides at the end of the run in the mid-5s. Felt smooth, but not as smooth as I'd like them to be. In total the run was 6 miles, 51 min, 8:28 pace, and HR of 143. I never really felt pressed during the run. I came home in a sopping mess of sweat though.

Sunday

The LR dropped back to 8 miles.

Conditions - ⛅ Humid and Mostly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 20mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 73°F + 73°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 74°F; FL - 75°F

A warm/humid morning. Despite running in worse T+D conditions, this one felt especially brutal at times. My planned adjusted pace was an 8:22 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.18.51 AM.png

I was pretty much right on target for the large majority of the run. It didn't feel all that difficult and was pretty comfortable for the majority of the run. Both ankles felt better during this run than they did in the run prior. Came out of the run with little or no lingering issues. In total the run was 8 miles, 66 min, 8:18 pace, and HR of 142. The Garmin VO2max fell to 53, but given the higher T+D of 150 compared to last week's 125 that's to be expected. I still feel like I'm in a good place despite being a good 30-40 sec/mile off what I think I'm capable of. I'm just going to continue doing the little things to keep me in a good place as November rolls around.

The bad news is that Steph pointed out that both of the 10k weekends (my non-peak running weekends) are WI home football weekends. Which means she'll be working on Saturdays. That makes the logistics of me doing a race on the same day much harder. Not impossible, but more of an ask of everyone else. So we'll see how things shake out as we get closer. I might need to sacrifice a long run weekend if I want to get a 10k test run in.

Next week we're back to building back up again with a slight increase in mileage/duration. The highlights of the week are the 5x1000m 5k day, another 6 mile M Tempo, and a LR of 12 miles (96 min). The weather forecast early in the week isn't great. Speed day is T+D 161 and M Tempo is 152. But the temp drops for the weekend LR at 115. So gotta take the good with the bad.

Well good news! I've been waiting to find a 10k to fall on my "down" weekend either 5 or 7 weeks out from the Madison Marathon. And within the last week, two options have opened up each on separate weekends. So now I've got a "B" race either 10/2 or 10/16 that won't interfere with the peaks of my plan. I also wanted to wait until a race in October because in WI that's traditionally when the temps start to drop to sub T+D 100. Downside is both races are traditionally quite small at like 20-25 10k runners and are a little over an hour away. But better than nothing. I'm still hoping a 10k in Madison opens up, but no movement there at this point. Won't sign up till much closer to gauge current fitness and weather outlook.

So maybe a little warm for the Brew City 10K on September 5? :) If this weather continues, we'll be waiting until the Pumpkin Run 10K. @mateojr and I ran 3 miles the other day in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity and it wasn't our favorite. Sorry about the conflicts with Badger games and the Madison 10Ks. Is the Pumpkin Run 10K a possibility or too late?

We have both been running inside on the treadmill recently. When @mateojr finished his run today, he said he wasn't feeling great about the plan he created for himself. I said maybe he just needs a break. He said, "No! I love to run. I might need help from @DopeyBadger!"

So maybe a little warm for the Brew City 10K on September 5? :)

2020 - T+D 121
2019 - T+D 114
2018 - T+D 151
2017 - T+D 107
2016 - T+D 138

Yea, probably a little too warm. It's also too soon to be a good gauge. That's 11 weeks out from Madison, and only 4 weeks away from now. I don't think the fitness is quite there yet for a test run.

If this weather continues, we'll be waiting until the Pumpkin Run 10K. @mateojr and I ran 3 miles the other day in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity and it wasn't our favorite. Sorry about the conflicts with Badger games and the Madison 10Ks. Is the Pumpkin Run 10K a possibility or too late?

Unfortunately, the Pumpkin Run falls on the last peak weekend of training (10/24). Same as the Haunted Hustle (which is on Saturday night). There is the Sycamore Pumpkin 10k in IL on 10/31 which is the first week of the taper. I'd say right now the sights are set on the Henry Vilas Zoo 10k on 9/26. It's a peak week, but the 3rd one out so a little more willing to sacrifice it. I probably won't sign up until the week of though to check weather as it can be quite variable that time of year. Based on my notes, the temps really drop the first weekend of October which is where I was aiming for.

We have both been running inside on the treadmill recently. When @mateojr finished his run today, he said he wasn't feeling great about the plan he created for himself. I said maybe he just needs a break. He said, "No! I love to run. I might need help from @DopeyBadger!"

:thumbsup2@mateojr and I could swap notes anytime. But I can see how the treadmill could be a drag on motivation.

Beats a day like today though. We're up to a T+D of 168. We've also got some severe weather rolling in in a few hours (right about when I would normally start running). Forced me to do a speed run this morning at 4:30am to avoid it all.

13 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 5/18

8/9/21 - M - OFF
8/10/21 - T - 5 x 1000m @ 5k pace
8/11/21 - W - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 3 miles @ Easy
8/12/21 - R - 1.5 mile WU + 6 miles @ M Tempo + 1.5 mile CD
8/13/21 - F - 1.1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
8/14/21 - Sa - 5 min @ Easy w/ strides
8/15/21 - Su - 12 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 42.1 miles
Total Run Time - 5:57 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 5:57 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Monday

My right hip was pretty sore suddenly mid-day. I guess I was just sitting on it weird or something. The feeling lingered throughout most of the weekdays. But had no noticeable effect on running.

Tuesday

Hmm, let's see... Forecasted T+D of 168 and 90% chance of severe weather. Not a chance I want to do a speed session at those temps, and from the looks of it the storms were likely to stop me even if I wanted to venture into that. So I decided to wake up early instead. I don't usually do well with early morning speed workouts, but the tradeoff was not being able to do anything at all. So I was up at 3:45am and out the door at 4:35am. I drank some Liquid IV as that has been a good pick me up pre-early morning activities.

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 65°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 65°F + 64°F; FL - 67°F

One benefit of 4:30am run is nicer temps then the afternoons have been. Based on the temps, the goal was 1000m in 3:58-4:02.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 6.44.06 PM.png

The run was hard because its hard to get a good view at the pace in the dark. So this was mostly blind to pace within an interval. The first one felt good, but was clearly too slow. So I adjusted the effort and put more into it. The next three were solid at 3:59, 3:59, 4:01. I can't complain given the mostly blind attempt. It was tough, but doable. The average for the three intervals was 4:00. I'm giving me a pass on the first one. In all it was 6.6 miles, 53 min, 8:06 pace and HR of 140.

Wednesday

Welcome to the surface of the sun.

Conditions - ⛅ Humid and Mostly Cloudy, Wind 16mph to 27mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 78°F; FL - 96°F
End: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 79°F; FL - 96°F

Despite the temps, G was cooking it and feeling good. She did the mile in 12:48 pace using 30/30 intervals. She's getting excited (but nervous) about the 2nd grade.

Afterwards, I did three miles on my own. I don't remember anything specific about the run. I think the legs felt really good despite the hard run the day prior. In all it was 3.3 miles, 30 min, 9:08 pace, and HR of 134.

Thursday

Tempo day! More like Tempo day :scared:

Conditions - ☀️ Humid, Wind 9mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 73°F; FL - 91°F
End: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 74°F; FL - 91°F

I was reviewing my 2017 training log recently. That's the race I set my current marathon PR of 3:14. I was doing a lot of tempos in the high-6s and low-7s. But the thing that stuck out to me more was that out of 14 different M Tempos during that training plan, the highest T+D was 144 and the second highest was 139. This training plan has had three M Tempo runs and all three have been above 140, with two above 150. 2021 has been a brutal summer on Thursdays. The adjusted goal pace was a 7:31 min/mile. Before the run I thought the goal pace was a 7:26 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 7.51.40 PM.png

Not as easy as I'd like it to be. The first three were in a good place, but that fourth one threw me through a loop. Don't know what happened there. The fifth was ok. At the end of the fifth mile I had to wait as a car crossed. I took an extra long break despite the car passing sooner. I made it up the hill and took a short 15 sec break. Then I finished off the last portion of the M Tempo. In all it was 7:37 pace for the 6 miles. So 6 seconds off goal pace which isn't too bad. I'd really like to catch a break with these temps on Thursday though. The total run was 73 min, 9 miles, 8:07 pace, and HR of 145.

Friday

G got her second grade teacher assignment. So the majority of the run was talking about the kids who did and didn't get the same teacher.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 9mph to 14mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 62°F; FL - 76°F
End: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 62°F; FL - 76°F

We did 1.1 miles at 12:47 pace at 30/30 intervals. She decided her goal for the Princess 5k is to win. I was like umm, that's going to be pretty tough. We're not going to even start in the first corral. She's like don't worry Dad I've got super boost powers. I'll show you. And then proceeds to sprint away from me. I said we'll worry about making goals once the race gets closer. But I convinced her that the possibility of taking some selfies with princesses while running is super cool too. We'll see what wins out when the time comes.

Afterwards, I did 4 miles of my own. Don't remember much. I'm pretty sure the legs actually felt pretty good for this one. It was 4 miles, 37 min, 9:13 pace, and HR of 137.

Saturday

Early morning because I had to go into work. I weighed in at 178.8 pounds. So up slightly from last week. Two days of pizza will do that to you. Despite that, I'm feeling good about the progress and can tell a difference. I've got a health assessment on Thursday so I'm excited to see some updated blood work numbers to see where I'm at right now.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 52°F + 51°F; FL - 52°F
End: Temp+Dew = 54°F + 53°F; FL - 52°F

Some absolutely beautiful temps though and I was excited to take advantage. Maybe a tad too excited. With as good as the legs felt yesterday, things didn't feel as fluid today. They were fighting me a bit, and the effort didn't feel as good as I would have hoped at these temps. My ankle was sore as well. So the run was a bit of a downer. I did some strides at the end mostly in the 5s. It ended up being 5 miles, 41 min, 8:04 pace, and HR of 141. When I got inside I realized it was suppose to be 6 miles. Oh well.

Sunday

First run above 90 min since Hot2Trot in mid-June. And first training run above 90 min since April. So while the endurance hasn't been there, I am cutting myself some slack because the volume on single days just isn't quite there yet. But there's something special about that 90 min threshold and things are likely to pick up from here. The legs have felt good off and on, but now seems like a time that maybe will pick up to feeling good more often.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 54°F + 53°F; FL - 54°F
End: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 56°F; FL - 54°F

Good temps. Actually ended up a little warmer than I had thought going into it. So I had a goal pace of an 8:02 when it should have been an 8:05. Small difference. Since I'm over 90 min now, that means it's time for nutrition while training. So I did the Liquid IV to wake everything up, then SIS Beta (cheap Maurten 320 substitute) 15 min prior to start, then concentrated Tailwind at 45 and 75 min, and a Maurten gel at 60 min. The gel expired in Oct 2020, but it still tasted fine. The consistency was a little off though.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.07.16 PM.png

The ankle was sore on this one, but I was able to power through for the majority of the run. The legs needed a little time to get in a groove. At the start everything felt a little sluggish, but by the time I hit the third mile things we're looking up. As the run progressed the legs felt better and better. Not getting more tired but rather feeling more fresh. The GAP was very consistent between miles 2 to 10. The 11th and 12th mile felt smooth. Happy with how the run felt overall. Wish the ankle wasn't such a bother, but I managed. And it felt fine once I got the shoes off and did some stretching. The run was 96 min, 12 miles, 7:58 pace, and HR of 139. The Garmin VO2max bumped up to 55. Partially a by product of the temps, but also the legs just felt good. Looking at past training plans shows I'm right where I need to be right now to be peaking in mid-November. When I adjust for T+D and for GAP, then I'm at 7:50 min/mile at HR of 139. In 2019, I was in a slightly better place. I'm in a slightly better place than 2020. So somewhere squarely in the middle of those two.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.14.12 PM.png

I'm behind 2017 by quite a bit, but I was also doing multiple 60 miler weeks at this time. Where I'm comfortably at 40 miles per week right now.

A good week overall. The speed session went well. The M Tempo was ok, but the temps have been brutal so I'm giving myself a pass. The LR felt good and smooth. And all in all the progress is in line with where I'd want to be with 13 weeks to go until race day. I've got to continue to baby the ankle as much as possible to keep it from getting angry at me.

Next week the T+D goes back up again. I've got a 4x1200m, the M Tempo increases to 7 miles (10 total) and the weekend is manageable. This is the last week in the low 40s. After this we're in the high 40s and mid 50s for the remainder of the plan. The legs feel fine. It's just the temps and my ankle holding me back at the moment. Those temps will fall in due time.

Health screening assessment day!

Every year we can get a free health assessment as part of a way to earning some money back at work. They didn't have it last year due to COVID, but they brought it back this year. So I tallied the numbers and entered it to my long term health checks.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.43.52 AM.png

I anticipated the numbers would be worse this year than years past. My weight is up and I haven't been eating my oatmeal in the mornings for the last few months. Opting instead for a homemade egg in tortilla. Since one of the main benefits of oatmeal is reduced cholesterol values, I fully expected to see an increase there. The biggest changes were that my HDL dropped from my way higher than ideal 70s to 55 (which is still above normal). Glucose highest since a non-fasted 2018 visit and highest fasted since 2014. Blood pressure is up. Weight is up. BMI is up. Waist is actually down an inch. Begs the question where I'm hiding the extra 20 pounds compared to 2017. Triglycerides are up (still normal). LDL went the wrong direction (still normal). Non-HDL went up (still normal). Total Chol/HDL Ratio went up (still ideal, but not as good as 2016-2019). And pulse is pretty much the same.

So while my values are still mostly in the normal-good range, I had a few values fall out of the ideal range and some bumping up against the non-normal range. Feel it's confirmatory of what I already knew. I need to continue on the path of getting healthier again, and probably consider switching my breakfasts back to oatmeal again. That 2017-2018 area is where I should strive to get back to.

12 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 6/18

8/9/21 - M - OFF
8/10/21 - T - 4 x 1200m @ 5k pace
8/11/21 - W - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
8/12/21 - R - 1.5 mile WU + 7 miles @ M Tempo + 1.5 mile CD
8/13/21 - F - 5 miles @ Easy
8/14/21 - Sa - 6 min @ Easy
8/15/21 - Su - 8 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 41.1 miles
Total Run Time - 5:56 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 5:56 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Speed day!

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 6mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 65°F; FL - 82°F
End: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 67°F; FL - 82°F

This is the 6th week of Hansons training, and the 11th week back since taking 5 weeks off. I can tell. My rule of thumb is usually that equal time off to equal time to return. But then I do another equal time for things to start to feel normal again. So with five weeks off, I estimated it would be around the 10th week back that things would feel normal again. And thankfully that's where I'm at now. I can tell things are starting to gel together with 13 weeks remaining.

The workout was a 4 x 1200m at 5k pace (6:14). Adjusted for T+D was a goal of 6:29 pace or 4:50-4:54 splits.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.31.15 AM.png

The dynamic stretching felt really good. The WU felt really good. The first rep felt buttery smooth. Even the second rep felt like running on air. Just in control and smooth. The third rep is when things became a bit more noticeable. It barely fell outside my goal split range. And then I finished it off with a good kick to get that last rep inside the goal window. Very happy with the workout and how it felt. Especially the start of the workout. My HR returned to normal levels and was near equal between WU/CD. All signs that the cardio is heading in the right direction. In all it was 7 miles, 8:31 pace, 60 min and HR of 139. And from memory, there really wasn't anything that hurt.

Wednesday

Everything hurts. LOL. Well not everything, but my right hip was sore again, and so was my right ankle (from 2018 tendonitis). Low on the totem pole, but noticeable.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 69°F; FL - 86°F
End: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 69°F; FL - 86°F

G and I did a 1 mile run together again. We talked about fairies and how they're real. But they can't be seen. Unless you believe in your heart. But even if you do believe in your heart you can't see them when you're running. But even if you stop running you can't see them. They can't be photographed either. So the quick of it was I'm not really sure anyone's actually seen them because you can't see them and you can't photograph them??? This was like an Abbott and Costello bit for like 13 min.

Afterwards, I did an easy four miles. I don't really remember anything specific. I'm not sure if it was this day that I considered that maybe the 5 oz bottle of water on my right leg in my new shorts was throwing off my gait and possibly explained my hip soreness. So I think it was Thursday that I swapped the storage to my left leg. The run itself was nice and easy. Saving myself for the M Tempo on Thursday. A total of 4 miles, 38 min, 9:33 pace, and HR of 128. One of the few sub-130 HRs in this training plan. Good to see even at a T+D of 151.

Thursday

Stepping up the M Tempo to 7 miles now and 10 total miles. I looked at my Garmin VO2max (55) - 6 points for VDOT and decided that I was probably running my M Tempo too fast. My speed felt right at the VO2max of 58 (VDOT 52), but the sustained M Tempo just didn't feel right at these >140 T+D temps. Granted every M Tempo this training cycle has been >140 when 2017 I had one. ONE! ONNNNNEEE! Ugh!

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 69°F; FL - 88°F
End: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 70°F; FL - 88°F

T+D of 153. So I assessed M Tempo as 7:20 with adjusted goal of 7:44.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.43.46 AM.png

All I did mentally was say run 7:44 GAP pace, and then that's what I did. The pace felt much more comfortable. And the HR reflects that as well. More realistic for M Tempo pace in these conditions. The first four miles felt great. Even some of the splits that were off the mark in previous runs and been brought in for a nice clean line in pacing. I decided that things felt fine through the first four to see what the old pacing felt like. It still felt more difficult, but having that slow start to the M Tempo made it feel not as horrible. I wrapped up the last three miles with very even GAP splits as well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.43.59 AM.png

A thing of beauty when evaluated by GAP.

The goal was 7:44, and I ended up running an average of 7:38. It also was a HR average of 147 during the M Tempo which is more in line with historical. So the adjustment was a good one and made this 10 mile workout more attainable. In all it was 10 miles, 80 min, 8:02 pace, and HR of 142.

Friday

Steph worked late, so G had eaten dinner by the time I got home. So it was a solo run.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 70°F; FL - 86°F
End: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 69°F; FL - 86°F

I don't remember anything specific about the run. I feel like my legs felt reasonably good despite the 10 miler yesterday. Finding the recovery after running bouts is coming back to me as well. In all it was 5 miles, 46 min, 9:19 pace, and HR of 132. It was either after this run or the Saturday run that my right ankle was more noticeable. I'm thinking it was after this one.

Saturday

Rain but no lightning. So I'm out there all the same. It was heavy at times, but like I always say you never know what race day will be like. In some ways it felt refreshing.

Conditions - 🌧 Rain, Wind 11mph to 26mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 68°F; FL - 73°F
End: Temp+Dew = 73°F + 69°F; FL - 73°F

I wore my Rides and chose not to do strides because of the rain. Kept the Next% dry for Sunday's run. It wasn't all that bad to run in the rain. I feel like I was a little more sore today than Friday, but I don't remember. In all it was 6 miles, 54 min, 9:02 pace, and HR of 129. Looking good!

Sunday

Short long run. I took that opportunity to stay up late and played video games until midnight. Normally I'm in bed by like 8:30-9. So I lost some of the best morning weather, but since it was early enough I still got good weather. A nice tradeoff between the two hobbies.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 8mph to 14mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 55°F; FL - 63°F
End: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 57°F; FL - 63°F

With a T+D of 123, the goal pace was 8:07. Yea.... that didn't happen.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.55.14 AM.png

The legs felt really fresh. Kind of like I was peaking. The effort was minimal, but I knew I was going too fast. But it was fun in the moment. I'll pay for it later I'm sure. Gotta be mindful that I'm entering that window of peak cardio shape, but not yet peak musculoskeletal shape. So ripe for bone injuries if I'm not careful. But alas, it is what it is. I ran too fast and had fun doing it. In all it was 8 miles, 62 min, 7:49 pace, and HR of 143. Still less than M Tempo, but a little closer than I should be on a long run. Garmin VO2max stayed at 55.

That was a good week. The weather looked like it was finally going to break, but now not so much. Looks like another warm week with the next week after being forecasted as cooler. With 12 weeks to go, we're entering the home stretch of training. I get to do the Ladder on Tuesday which is always fun, then another 10 mile Tempo on Thursday, then this weekend goes up to 14 miles (110 min). In all we're increasing to 48.5 miles and an estimated 6:30-7:00 hrs of running.

11 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 7/18

823/21 - M - OFF
8/24/21 - T - Ladder @ 5k pace
8/25/21 - W - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 3.3 miles @ Easy
8/26/21 - R - 10 miles @ No pace goal
8/27/21 - F - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 5 miles @ Easy
8/28/21 - Sa - 6 min @ Easy
8/29/21 - Su - 14 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 48.5 miles
Total Run Time - 7:11 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 7:11 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Ladder workout! A 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400m rep intervals at 5k pace. This one is always a nice challenge and a good introduction to the 1600m rep. It also means instead of doing about 3 miles of speed work, I'll do about 4 miles of work at 3.1 mile pace.

Conditions - ☁️ Humid and Overcast, Wind 8mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 75°F; FL - 90°F
End: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 74°F; FL - 90°F

Got no breaks from the T+D. A 158 is pretty intense for a workout, but a speed interval workout is more doable than a sustained one. So the goal pace went from 6:14 to 6:38. However, I'm not entirely sure I trust that 158. We had a storm blow through only a few minutes prior to this run. So I get the feeling it was more likely in the 140s than the 150s, but I don't have anything to confirm that since that's what the weather says it is/was. So in reality, I aimed for 6:29 pace (assumed T+D of 145ish).

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.19.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.19.31 PM.png

That first rep I just couldn't settle into the right pace. So it ended up being too slow. But given I had another 3.75 miles of 5k pace left, I wasn't too upset with the slower than goal pace rep. I knew I needed something in the tank for the 1 mile reps. Things got back on track during the 800/1200m reps. The legs were feeling decent, but the breathing was a challenge. So I tried to relax my body and mind as much as possible. Focus on the breathing and control it instead of it controlling me. I then entered the 1600m rep. I came out like a rocket to start (sub-6 pace) and really had to control myself. I knew I was getting into trouble about 400m into the rep as the difficulty of the rep really started to settle in. It became challenging early on to maintain goal pace, but by the end of the rep I managed. The 1200m rep on the way down slipped a little on the pace goal. The 800m was back on target. And then for the 400m rep I decided to see what a controlled hard pace looked like. Not 5k pace, but not an all out sprint either. Just comfortably fast for 1.5 minutes. Ended up at 6:01 pace. The legs were definitely buzzing after this one. The body was responding really well. I could have easily continued the workout for another round if I had to, but alas the workout was over and I headed home. Which is good because a second major storm was on its way. I was thankful to get in the full workout between the two storms. The cumulative goal speed workout was 25:53 based on 6:29 pace, and I ran it in 25:50. So darn near exact onto goal. The workout as a whole was 8.1 miles, 65 min, 8:05 pace, and HR of 144. Felt like a strong workout overall.

The left ankle was sore when I did my laying down with legs in the air wall stretches for my hamstring.

Wednesday

Conditions - ⛅ Humid and Partly Cloudy, Wind 5mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 76°F; FL - 91°F
End: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 76°F; FL - 91°F

Nice and easy 1 miler with G. She admits that our runs together are her favorite part of the day. It's the stuff that makes your heart melt. I continue to cherish these times together. Can't remember what the topic of discussion was for this day. If I remember right, she had an issue with a playmate being really negative towards her. So we talked about self confidence (which she generally does not lack) and talked through the situation. I think we both came out better for it.

Afterwards, I did a 3.3 mile loop. I don't remember anything significant about the run. I just tried to take it nice and easy since it was so hot and I had a hot M Tempo coming the next day. I ended up with 3.3 miles, 31 min, 9:25 pace, and HR of 134.

Thursday

M Tempo day! Or at least it was suppose to be.

Conditions - ⛅ Humid and Mostly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 77°F; FL - 92°F
End: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 76°F; FL - 92°F

It was unrelentingly hot. I walked out the door, started my dynamic stretching, and could already tell the temp was going to be an issue. It was like the Mario Bros game when the sun is staring you down.

InformalSpiffyInganue-max-1mb.gif

But I had my M Tempo T+D adjusted goal pace of a 7:47 min/mile and was ready to see what I could do.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.34.10 PM.png

I did the 1.5 mile WU, and then started M Tempo effort which ended up being around a 7:55 min/mile pace. But after the first mile, I was like this is a whole lot of nope, and I shut it down. I didn't have the motivation to try and power through the brutal conditions. So instead I just lowered the effort level and coasted through. The downside is my left and right ankles were both protesting quite a bit during this run. Not really sure why, but possibly because my form got sloppy during the run. I ended up at 10 miles, 87 min, 8:44 pace, and HR of 138. I had considered dropping some mileage off since I was going to be exceeding the duration goal by quite a bit. But since I'm following the Hansons plan which is mileage based I just stuck with it.

Friday

I iced the left ankle in the morning because it was still sore. Thankfully it felt better as the day wore on.

Conditions - ☀️ Humid, Wind 12mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 86°F + 78°F; FL - 98°F
End: Temp+Dew = 86°F + 78°F; FL - 98°F

Whoof! T+D of 164 makes this the hottest run of the year so far. G and I did 1 mile again. The topic involved something I saw Thursday night after I wrapped up my fantasy football draft at 10pm. Admittedly I had been playing a zombie video game for the last week and a half. And a hallmark of the game is seeing red eyes in the distance at night to indicate the presence of zombies in the area. However, I did not hallucinate or dream what I saw. I 100% believe it was real. I was filling up my water pitcher and standing at the kitchen sink/window. When I looked up I saw two red laser like objects walking in the living room of the house behind us. It appeared to be about human height and where eyes would be. It walked from the living room to the kitchen. The distance of the two lasers from each other stayed constant as if they were eyes. And then it moved back into the living room. It then looked at me, and then the red lasers disappeared. My rational explanation is that they were some sort of night vision goggles. The back neighbors are pharmacists and work crazy hours. So possibly night vision goggles so that they don't disturb each other when moving about the house. My irrational explanation is a zombie. Although I've since seen the neighbors and they're not zombies, so I think we're safe for now. I don't know them well enough to ask them about it though, so it'll remain a mystery. G said she was willing to befriend their kids in order to gain knowledge about the situation, but they don't have kids. She said she'll consider befriending their dog or something. She's curious.

I ran 5 miles afterwards. Don't remember anything. I do remember being happy that neither ankle was much of an issue. The run was 47 min, 9:30 pace, and HR of 135.

Saturday

It was going to be a hot one even in the morning. So I didn't even attempt to get out there early to beat the heat because there was no beating it. So I stayed up late and then got out running by 10am.

I weighed in at 178 pounds. The last two weeks were trouble on the scale, but personal eating decisions were easily to blame. We didn't get our Marley Spoon delivery (trying out them alongside Hello Fresh) and so we didn't have many options for food. So we made the best of the situation, but it also means I've got less control. And the week prior I'm pretty sure we had pizza twice and had take out. So that never makes things easy when trying to stick hard to intake goals. But this week I was back on track and still plenty of time to get back down to where I was for the Madison HM in Nov 2019. Overall down 11.4 pounds in 12 weeks which still puts me on track for that 1 lb per week trajectory.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 1.18.37 PM.png

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 10mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 71°F; FL - 80°F
End: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 72°F; FL - 80°F

No pace goal and just took it nice and easy. Legs felt ok, some spring in the step, but not as good as last week. Ended up at 6 miles, 56 min, 9:21 pace, and HR of 131.

Sunday

Longest run thus far at 14 miles. No relief on the temps though.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 13mph to 26mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 69°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 71°F; FL - 75°F

It was windier than I was expecting.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.56.43 PM.png

I had the SIS Beta before the run, concentrated Tailwind at 45 min, caff Maurten at 60 min, and Maurten at 75 min (need to stop at the store for Egels). The first mile was sluggish, but things normalized not too long after that. I had a goal of an 8:22 pace given the T+D expected by the end of the run. Overall, I did quite well with that. The pace was never really troublesome and the run overall felt fairly easy. I did start to get a little fatigued at mile 10, but then once I turned the corner for mile 13/14, I felt better and snappier. The ankles each had issues here and there, but nothing as bad as post-speed run or during the cancelled M Tempo run. I ended up at 14.1 miles, 1:57 hrs, 8:17 pace, and HR of 138. All pretty much were I expected to be. I looked back on my 12 miler which had a T+D adjusted GAP of 7:50 with HR of 139, and then this run which was a T+D adjusted GAP of 7:53 with HR of 138. So I think I handled the difference in T+D well between these two long runs (one at 119 and the other at 150). The Garmin VO2max was 54 at this run, but was 55 after the speed run. So I left the week as 55.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 11.53.50 AM.png

Still in a really good place all things considered. Hoping for the temps to start dropping as we enter September. The speed run on Tuesday is the 3x1600m at 5k pace and the T+D is projected at 130 right now. Been a while since I've seen a mid-week afternoon training run below 140. So this is a welcome relief. M Tempo is also projected at 130. So that's nice too. Of course, this all comes as the next two weeks are brutal at work. I've got a big project that's really involved, time sensitive, and tons of moving pieces. I've got over 13 hours of work on tap tomorrow to start things off. So I'll take some relief in running as the stress of work is likely to ramp up during these two weeks.

Overall, the week was good. I did 48.5 miles and 7:11 hrs of running this week. The last time I did this much running was August 2018. So three years ago, during the time I was doing Daniels Marathon training and was last doing 6 days per week. That was the last training plan I did fully running before shutting things down and moving to run+cycle+strength instead. So I'm happy with how my body is feeling currently given the increase in training volume I'm currently doing relative to the past three years. From a month's perspective, it looks like I'll end up around 188 miles for August. Which puts me at the most since July 2018 (also the last full month of real sole focus run training).

I'm already pretty close to where I plan to peak with this training plan (55 miles) with 11 weeks to go. There are only four peak weeks remaining in training. Hopefully we start to enter winter training so I can really fly.

10 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 8/18

823/21 - M - OFF
8/24/21 - T - 3 x 1 mile @ 5k pace
8/25/21 - W - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
8/26/21 - R - 7 miles @ M Tempo
8/27/21 - F - 5 miles @ Easy (Treadmill)
8/28/21 - Sa - 8 min @ Easy
8/29/21 - Su - 10 miles @ Easy

Total Run Miles - 44.1 miles
Total Run Time - 6:29 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 6:29 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Monday

So normally I don't do a Monday update, but I've got to point out how ridiculously good I felt post 14 miler on Monday. Even after the run itself on Sunday I had felt like within a few hours I hadn't done anything. And on Monday I felt the same. Completely fresh and could do something hard again. Great feeling to recovery so quickly. I worked a 13 hour day and it had ramifications on my energy for a few days.

Tuesday

Peak of the 5k paced workouts. 3 x 1 mile!

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 10mph to 14mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 73°F + 63°F; FL - 73°F
End: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 63°F; FL - 73°F

T+D of 136 is survivable for sure. Adjusted goal pace was a 6:25 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 5.49.37 PM.png

The first mile felt good. Wasn't pressing too hard, but did have to put in a good effort to keep the pace near on point. The second mile felt harder and easier simultaneously. Although the end of the mile was a struggle to keep on pace. The camber on the road and my high effort took a toll on my right hip as it was just slamming into the ground. During the second resting interval, my hip was protesting enough to make me question even attempting the third interval. I know the issue is my hips are out of alignment like year's past, but the solution is only after the run is over and I jam it back into place. So I gutted it out in the third interval and while things were uncomfortable, I was able to maintain pace without any increase in problems. I successfully kept the last interval on pace. So in all it was three intervals of 6:29, 6:23, and 6:26 when the goal was a 6:25. I'm not complaining. The total workout was 6.1 miles, 51 min, 8:27 pace and HR of 136.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 9mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 57°F; FL - 72°F
End: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 57°F; FL - 72°F

G had so much to talk about since it was the start of 2nd grade! So the run went really quickly because she didn't stop talking about how much fun she had. We did 1.1 miles at 13:30 pace using 30/30 intervals.

I did 4 miles on my own. About half way through the run my left hamstring started to tweak pretty badly. I kept going, but I had to be really ginger with it. I finished it at 38 min, 4 miles, 9:33 pace, and HR of 126. I checked my hamstring after the run during the wall stretch and did find a "bundle" about half way between my knee and hip. Hoping it goes away in a short period of time.

Thursday

The ankles have been feeling good this week. But now I'm dealing with old injuries of my right hip getting jammed up and my hamstrings being overly tight. So I wasn't sure what the M Tempo was going to give me. So I decided to be conservative to start and just play it by ear.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 5mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 61°F; FL - 74°F
End: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 61°F; FL - 74°F

My goal pace was 7:14.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.06.51 PM.png

The hip felt fine. The hamstring flared a few times early, but not enough that I had to stop. The temps made the pace feel glorious. The legs felt really good, but because of the hamstring I decided not to press the pace until late. The first few miles were what I was hoping for, and then the last few miles were really good and popping. Overall the T+D adjusted pace was 7:12 and HR of 146. Taking into account the grade as well knocks it down to 7:09 pace. So that's really solid. I bumped up to a Garmin VO2max of 56.

Friday

Steph has been working crazy hours for the week before UW starts. She's been working nearly 12 hours every day. So I had to pack it in and run on the treadmill today for the first time since we got it 6 months ago. It actually wasn't all that bad. The NordicTrack 2950 is really well built. I just did a manual workout and watched Netflix. I set it at a 10:00 min/mile and then just slowly ramped the pace up. No ankle issues whatsoever. The hamstring felt good as well. Kind of nice to run on an even surface for a change. The connection to Garmin Connect didn't work though. But I tracked my workout on my watch in treadmill mode as a failsafe. So I did 5 miles in total in something around 9:45-10:00 pace at HR of 117.

Saturday

Early morning because I had to get done before Steph had to leave for work. Weighed in at 178 pounds. I'm happy with maintaining after a week with eating out twice and pizza instead of the Hello Fresh meals.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 8mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 57°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 59°F; FL - 62°F

Just an easy 8 miles. No desire to push the pace to allow the hamstring to heal. Plus, I decided to move next Tuesday's 5k workout to Monday. I've got off on Monday, and I'm working 13 hours again on Tuesday. So I preferred to do the workout not after having to work a super long day. So I made Saturday and Sunday's workouts nice and easy. The run ended up being 8 miles, 73 min, 9:06 pace, and HR of 128. Body felt good.

Sunday

Decided I would aim for around 8:20-8:30 pace.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 7mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 54°F + 52°F; FL - 54°F
End: Temp+Dew = 60°F + 54°F; FL - 54°F

What a beautiful morning!

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.18.08 PM.png

Kept the pace nice and easy. Wasn't even trying that hard at all. I can tell my Next% pink are almost dead. I've probably got something like 750-900 miles on them, which is roughly what I got on the green pair. So they really pay off in the long term despite the cost. I've got a blue pair ready for races. I've ordered a pair of yellow Saucony Ride 14 to finish off my Vision costume. I also got a pair of Saucony Endorphin Pro to see how they compare to the Next%. I got them for $100, so as long as I can get 400ish miles out of them then they're comparable to the Next%.

The run itself went well. No pain issues whatsoever. The final stats were 10 miles, 83 min, 8:17 pace, and HR of 134. Easy peasy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 5.48.50 PM.png

Garmin VO2max remains in a good place. I'm liking where I'm at with 10 weeks to go. The confidence remains high.

I'm interested to hear how you like the Endorphin Pro! I've thought about getting them but was on the fence ... if you find them comparable to the Next%, I might give them another thought.

I'm interested to hear how you like the Endorphin Pro! I've thought about getting them but was on the fence ... if you find them comparable to the Next%, I might give them another thought.

They just arrived in the mail. Haven't run in them yet, but they are 100% different than the Next% despite also being a carbon fiber plated shoe. Not nearly as squishy and trampoline feeling. So it remains to be seen how they compare in terms of how they feel when running. But I can already tell a significant difference. I'll probably run in them on Sunday.

9 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 9/18

823/21 - M - 12 x 400 m @ 5k pace
8/24/21 - T - OFF
8/25/21 - W - 1.1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
8/26/21 - R - 8 miles @ M Tempo
8/27/21 - F - 6 miles @ Easy
8/28/21 - Sa - 6 min @ Easy w/ strides
8/29/21 - Su - 15 miles @ LR w/ uphill FF

Total Run Miles - 51.8 miles
Total Run Time - 7:12 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 7:12 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Monday

A Monday run?!? Been a while. I had adjusted the schedule to move my speed run from Tuesday to Monday because I was going to work 12-13 hrs on Tuesday. It made it easier that I had the day off from work to make this happen. Steph also had off so I could run in the morning during the cool temps.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 53°F + 50°F; FL - 53°F
End: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 52°F; FL - 53°F

I decided to go with no T+D adjustment. I screwed up the workout though. I thought it was suppose to be 12x400m but it was actually suppose to be 6x800m. Oh well. I had fun.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 4.20.18 PM.png

So the goal was suppose to be 1:34-1:35. Simply put, that didn't happen. I did 1:34, 1:34, and then I let the legs loose. 1:27, 1:28, 1:29, 1:30, 1:31, 1:25, 1:27, 1:27, 1:29, and 1:29. The average was 1:29 and a 5:58 min/mile. So it was faster than I should have gone, but it felt good. The run:rest ratio made that doable. Now rewind a few weeks and I did 97 seconds per lap, and now I did 89 seconds per lap. So things have been going well recently. The run was 8.5 miles, 67 min, and 7:53 pace.

Tuesday

OFF and I'm glad I was.

Wednesday

Run/walk with G. I decided to move our intervals to 45/30, and was curious to see if she would notice. I had a feeling she'd notice we didn't stop at our normal first stop location.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 14mph to 22mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 55°F; FL - 69°F
End: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 55°F; FL - 69°F

She noticed. :P. Immediately she was trying to figure out why we hadn't walked yet. I told her it must have been a hiccup in the GPS. She remained suspicious most of the run. She was dragging a bit more than normal though. It wasn't until we were almost finished that she told me PE was "track" today and they already run this morning. So she was doing a double. She made it through though. And I let her know we did 45/30 at the end and she was like I KNEW IT!

We had a nice long conversation about the prior weekend's flag football game we played with a few neighbor boys. They treated her different because she was a girl. They didn't think she could ball and they were being dismissive towards her. Just little things here and there and not being super direct about it. Well long story short, it came down to the last play. We had to score and were about 25 yards or so from the endzone. I ran around a little bit as QB, and the other boy couldn't get open (despite what he was saying). So I threw the ball at G. The first thing her "teammate" said was "We lost" when I didn't throw it to him. Well she caught it. In fact she caught every ball that day. As she said to me, "i've got good hand-eye coordination, dad". The moral of the story to her was the other people are going to try and tear her down, not believe in her, maybe even her own teammates. But she's got to rise above. Have confidence in herself and set her own limits. She can and did do hard things.

Afterwards I did my own 4 miles. Nothing to note that I can remember. It was 4 miles, 37 min, 9:16 pace, and HR of 127.

Thursday

M Tempo day. I was holding out hope that my new Saucony Endorphin shoes would show up in time to wear them today, but they didn't. Steph was going to work late and I was going to have to pick her up. So time was too tight to get the run done normally. So I considered running in the morning, but that would've required a 3am wake-up and 4am start. I was not looking forward to that (although the temps would have been nice). So instead I decided to work early (I earned it after Tuesday and last week's 13 hr day as well).

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 55°F; FL - 74°F
End: Temp+Dew = 73°F + 56°F; FL - 74°F

With the temps the goal was 7:11.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 4.40.02 PM.png

Something was off with this run. Earlier in the day I had this weird taste in my mouth and felt like my nasal breathing was a little difficult. Not sure what was going on. But it carried into the run itself. I have never experienced the nasal drip that I had on this run before. It was a literal stream just coming out of me without any relief. So so hard to breathe and run. The pace wasn't what I was aiming for, but I've got an easy explanation with that. As soon as I stopped running, the nasal drip stopped. Now I've experienced nasal drip before. I do on almost all runs when the temp is under 70 or so. But this was truly excessive. No explanation for why it happened. The M Tempo was 7:25 min/mile at 150 bpm. So a little worse than last week. In total the run was 11 miles, 85 min, 7:45 pace and HR of 145.

Friday

G was wise, so we just did 30/30 this time. I think I might set the first interval to 30 seconds (because known walk place) and then the rest at 45 seconds to see if she notices next week.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 8mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 56°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 56°F; FL - 75°F

She did well and had fun. I can't even remember what we talked about. Likely about the school day.

I wore my new Saucony Ride 14 (bright yellow) from my Vision costume. Felt like Ride's always do. Nice to have a new pair of shoes. I did 5 miles on my own at 45 min, 9:03 pace, and HR of 133.

Saturday

Steph had to work, so early morning. Weighed in at 175.4 pounds. Down 14 pounds in 14 weeks now. Starting to feel pretty good about where I'm at. Still like to shed a few more, but being down 14 pounds feels good.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 7mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 55°F; FL - 57°F
End: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 56°F; FL - 57°F

Nice weather though. I wanted to try out the Saucony Endorphin Pro today in case they bothered me. Because then I didn't have to commit to a 15 mile run in them. They didn't feel right. I mean they were fine, but weren't anything special for an easy run. I'm not sure whether they work well for easy runs. Maybe, maybe not. The Next % are ok for easy runs. Even the run/walk with G in the 13 range. But I wasn't ready to toss them out completely. They did feel snappy, made me have my feet on the ground less, and do encourage a toe-off. All things that carbon fiber plate shoes tend to do. I decided to throw in some strides and see how those felt. That felt more like where they should live. Smooth transitions. Bouncy. But not quite Next% level on those 5-6 min/mile paces. I ended up being curious how the long run would feel in them.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.02.08 PM.png

Sunday

15 mile LR!

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 62°F; FL - 66°F
End: Temp+Dew = 70°F + 64°F; FL - 66°F

Did all of my normal pre-run nutrition. Decided to go with the Saucony Pro again.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.05.10 PM.png

Now THAT's what I'm talking about. The pace goal was to stay in the low 8s. But as the run progressed the legs kept opening up and the effort remained unchanged.

Here's my best way to describe the Saucony Pro. It feels like Saucony took one of their Saucony shoes and put a carbon fiber plate in it. So it feels very Saucony. It doesn't have a ton of cushion and such. But that's the best way to describe it. So if you like Saucony shoes, and want a carbon fiber option, then you'll probably like it. Now with that being said, it feels like the Saucony Pro doesn't really do anything as good or better than the Next%. The Next% still fells like a superior shoe. The Next% feels cushier, it transitions well, feels smooth at fast paces, and feels incredible on uphil/downhills. The Saucony Pro does those things too better than say the Kinvara or the Ride, but not as well as the Next%. The one thing the Pro does better slightly is it corners better then Next%. Because Next% is tall and cushy it doesn't turn well. So the Pro does that slightly better, but still doesn't corner like a normal shoe.

The run itself felt great. Low effort but a nice pace. I did see a few odd things out there. There was a guy taking a walk (not so strange)... backwards. Umm ok. And then I couldn't open my second Maurten gel. I ripped it in such a place that made it impossible to open. So I saw a neighbor outside and was like "hey you got any scissors?" So he helped me out and caused me to take an impromptu 45 second break. Also found a baby Hello Kitty toy on the run and was able to return it to the owner. When these things happen they always seem to be like a dam breaking and tons of odd things.

Once I got to around mile 13 and was still feeling good, I decided to do an uphill fast finish. The Madison Marathon has plenty of hills, and one of the hardest is the finish line as it's a climb for the last 0.5-1.0 miles or so. So I decided to do a fast finish up my hill. Hit 7:02 pace and 6:37 GAP uphill after 14 miles. NICE! All in all it was 15 miles, 7:48 pace, 117 min, and HR of 138. That is significant.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.21.24 PM.png

When adjusting for temps and course profile, this was one of the better long runs in the last three years. Most of the time the comparable runs occurred a few weeks from race day. So I'm in a good place right now. And potentially approaching late 2017 peak fitness levels.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.00.37 PM.png

Garmin VO2max remains in a good place historically.

Everything is clicking well right now. This is one of the first weeks in a while that I don't really have any injuries/niggles to be concerned about. The ankles felt good all week. The bones felt good all week. The hamstrings felt good all week. And that's coming off nearly 52 miles and 7 hrs of running, something I haven't done since 2018.

Next week is another down week. Another attempt at 3x1 mile 5k, then 8 mile M Tempo, then 8+10 over the weekend. The next weekend I'm still considering the Zoo 10k. I'm waiting to see the weather before I decide. Gotta just keep on keeping on!

It seems like your runs with G are turning into some good father-daughter. I wonder if she might be receptive to the idea of a "training log" where she writes down how she felt the run went and what you talked about. She might really like that sometime down the road.

It seems like your runs with G are turning into some good father-daughter. I wonder if she might be receptive to the idea of a "training log" where she writes down how she felt the run went and what you talked about. She might really like that sometime down the road.

that should be "father-daughter TIME" ha

She noticed. :P. Immediately she was trying to figure out why we hadn't walked yet. I told her it must have been a hiccup in the GPS. She remained suspicious most of the run.
Smart kid you got there!
We had a nice long conversation about the prior weekend's flag football game we played with a few neighbor boys. They treated her different because she was a girl. They didn't think she could ball and they were being dismissive towards her. Just little things here and there and not being super direct about it. Well long story short, it came down to the last play. We had to score and were about 25 yards or so from the endzone. I ran around a little bit as QB, and the other boy couldn't get open (despite what he was saying). So I threw the ball at G. The first thing her "teammate" said was "We lost" when I didn't throw it to him. Well she caught it. In fact she caught every ball that day. As she said to me, "i've got good hand-eye coordination, dad". The moral of the story to her was the other people are going to try and tear her down, not believe in her, maybe even her own teammates. But she's got to rise above. Have confidence in herself and set her own limits. She can and did do hard things.
Unfortunately, she'll probably be dealing with this kind of nonsense her whole life. People are dumb. But I'm glad that she understands her strengths and I hope she continues to not let other people's doubts pull her down.
Here's my best way to describe the Saucony Pro. It feels like Saucony took one of their Saucony shoes and put a carbon fiber plate in it. So it feels very Saucony. It doesn't have a ton of cushion and such. But that's the best way to describe it. So if you like Saucony shoes, and want a carbon fiber option, then you'll probably like it. Now with that being said, it feels like the Saucony Pro doesn't really do anything as good or better than the Next%. The Next% still fells like a superior shoe. The Next% feels cushier, it transitions well, feels smooth at fast paces, and feels incredible on uphil/downhills. The Saucony Pro does those things too better than say the Kinvara or the Ride, but not as well as the Next%. The one thing the Pro does better slightly is it corners better then Next%. Because Next% is tall and cushy it doesn't turn well. So the Pro does that slightly better, but still doesn't corner like a normal shoe.
Thanks for sharing this review. I was wondering if I should try the Endorphin Pro but I haven't been doing great with Saucony shoes over the last few years (which is pretty sad since they come in fun colors) so maybe it's not worth trying for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I like the idea, but I want to walk a fine line here. For now, I want her to not really focus on the runs at all. Rather just see it as time we spend together. So she's not focused on stats at all, and I want to keep it that way. Maybe when she's a little older she can keep a log of convos, but right now that would be a bit too much of a task. However, this journal is serving that purpose of record keeping of the convos so that she may read this some day in the future and see those moments.

Unfortunately, she'll probably be dealing with this kind of nonsense her whole life. People are dumb. But I'm glad that she understands her strengths and I hope she continues to not let other people's doubts pull her down.

She has a ton of self confidence and I want to keep it that way. Around the 2nd grade is when kids start to change their behavior and really start tearing each other down. So I'm trying to keep the dialogue open with her so we can navigate the situations just like the flag football game.

So I decided to go back and pull together T+D/GAP adjusted LR data from summer/winter 2017. That was when I was in peak running shape and ran my current PR (3:14), which was a disappointment in the moment, and then my Dopey 2018 performance (20:05, 39:54, 1:30:35, and 3:15:59), which was probably the best I've ever run.

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 3.24.00 PM.png

Looking at that data compared to 2019-2021 shows I was right about this past weekend's run.

At 7:34 min/mile adjusted and HR of 138, I'm about 12-14 seconds per mile off of absolute peak performance. I guess in some ways it's good I've got some time to see if I can bridge that remaining gap, but also a little concerning that I've still got 9 weeks to go and may peak too soon, a la Lakefront 2017. I mean you can even see it in the 2017 data above. July 30th was 7:20 and 139 HR whereas the last long run was 7:38 and 138 HR. I lost 18 seconds/mile over the last two months of training. The one thing I've got going for me this time around is I'm training far less than that 2017 Lakefront plan. We'll see if I can move in the right direction over the next two months.

Sometimes you get that weird feeling that the universe is listening to you. Well I had pondered yesterday about the possibility I might peak too soon for the Madison Marathon. And then no more than 24 hrs later, Silver Circle who has been doing races most of the whole time, announced an Oct 24th marathon on the course I ran my Sept 2019 HM. So there you go. An option B if I truly get scared off the current training plan. Average finish line T+D is 92 whereas Madison is 56. So I'm still leaning heavily towards Madison. Although there's always the risk of snow. Things to think about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter