To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

If you're using a TV to watch things, instead of a screen on your treadmill and/or other equipment, make sure the treadmill console is low enough so that you can see over it to the TV. Some treadmills have a lot of fancy stuff that is high enough to block your view uncomfortably. Also, make sure the TV screen is directly ahead of your equipment so that you don't have to turn your head while you run/ride/whatever. An hour of turning your head slightly is killer on the neck. (Found out the hard way when the re-arrangement of my room wasn't quite right.)

I'm sure you've done research, but I have heard that NordicTrac quality and service has gone way downhill in recent years. My original treadmill was NordicTrac, which I had roughly 10 years, ending ~2014. It was great - I did have to replace the belt a few times, but given the use I put on it and the fact it was pretty low-end, it held up well. When researching in 2014 for a replacement, I was warned away from them. I have a Spirit of some kind now - I'm sure it's lower-end than you would want. I don't run as fast and I'm not as tall.

Maybe you want a fan? Or some type of shelving near the treadmill to sit the remote controls, water bottle, etc.? The little ledges and cupholders on the equipment don't always cut it.

If you're using a TV to watch things, instead of a screen on your treadmill and/or other equipment, make sure the treadmill console is low enough so that you can see over it to the TV. Some treadmills have a lot of fancy stuff that is high enough to block your view uncomfortably. Also, make sure the TV screen is directly ahead of your equipment so that you don't have to turn your head while you run/ride/whatever. An hour of turning your head slightly is killer on the neck. (Found out the hard way when the re-arrangement of my room wasn't quite right.)

That's what this design shows:

screen-shot-2018-03-03-at-9-31-35-pm-png.306430

This is a view when looking at the wall (thus not top down). Basement ceiling height is 95" in most spots except where that orange box is (HVAC). The Peloton (just the current front runner) has a 32" monitor which has a max height at 72". Thus I am estimating it's position at 72" and down from there. I am estimating the height of the belt to be 12" (based on a female arm length doing a workout next to it in a video I found). Thus, as a 72" person standing on it, my eye level will be at 84" from the ground. Thus, my eye level is the yellow bar. Just above the peloton monitor and just about the middle of the TV. The key was determining what size TV would fit in the space between the monitor and the ceiling. Granted these won't be stacked on each other because in the 3-D world they will be separated by about 6-24". The red box to the left is the elliptical with the low hanging ceiling there.

I'm sure you've done research, but I have heard that NordicTrac quality and service has gone way downhill in recent years. My original treadmill was NordicTrac, which I had roughly 10 years, ending ~2014. It was great - I did have to replace the belt a few times, but given the use I put on it and the fact it was pretty low-end, it held up well. When researching in 2014 for a replacement, I was warned away from them. I have a Spirit of some kind now - I'm sure it's lower-end than you would want. I don't run as fast and I'm not as tall.

Yea, I've read that as well. Currently, I'm looking at the Peloton as Option #1. It also serves as a placeholder at $4000 or the other treadmills in that same range that seem to be of similar quality/design. The Nordictrack is about as low as I might end up going in terms of cost (around $2000).

Maybe you want a fan?

Leading contender:

https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HAPF6...TF8&qid=1520131505&sr=8-22&keywords=quiet+fan

Or some type of shelving near the treadmill to sit the remote controls, water bottle, etc.? The little ledges and cupholders on the equipment don't always cut it.

In both location A and B there will be either shelving or a counter within arms reach. Another good idea!

Only one week to go until the next appointment. Hoping to get the all clear on the fibula stress fracture so that I can return to running. This past week was another spent on the indoor bike.

Monday - OFF
Tuesday - 41 min biking at 123 avg HR
Wednesday - 50 min biking at 119 avg HR
Thursday - MCR (McMillan Core Routine) + 40 min biking at 103 avg HR
Friday - 40 min biking at 117 avg HR
Saturday - 50 min biking at 127 avg HR (with brief intervals up to 135-140) + MCR
Sunday - 50 min biking at 117 avg HR

Total = 270 minutes (4.5 hours) of biking (estimated 68 miles) + MCR (x2)

Being forced to bike has made me appreciate it more and has led me down the path of considering it as another exercise option (strictly indoors though).

Still in the planning phases at the moment trying to figure out all my options. But this is what I've got thus far:

View attachment 306429

I'm still undecided on the treadmill. The Norditrack 2950 is a contender as are several other brands around $4000. The enticing thing at the moment about the Peloton is the $150 monthly financing that is interest free for all 39 months.

-Stryd for increased treadmill accuracy and Zwift run capability. Could do another footpod to save a few dollars.
-Chromecast to get Netflix, Bravo Now, etc.
-Dumbells for Peloton workouts
-Fan for cooling
-Apple Lightning + HDMI for iPhone to TV hookup for Zwift
-Then choice of visual - 24 in TV (cheap), 10in iPad, 12in iPad, or 40in 4k tv. Because of the proximity of the tv to eye, I'm leaning to the 40in 4k (because it's so close). Cheap 4k TV that's not even close to cinema quality but it'll do the trick.

Then, trying to figure out the configuration in the basement:

View attachment 306425

The grey area are lower cabinets and allowing sufficient opening/working space. The tan areas have lower ceilings (or lower lights) at 85in instead of 95in. If I stand on the elliptical I am at 84 inch, which means I can't use it if it falls under that space. I can't be 100% on the height of me on the Tread yet.

View attachment 306424

Another option that is better because it leaves more Gigi space throughout. But it eliminates the elliptical for me and leaves 7in for Steph's head. We'll see if that is sufficient.

View attachment 306430

Then just taking the view that isn't from the top-down but rather how it would appear when looking at the wall. I wanted to see what the tv would look like over the very tall 32in monitor of the Peloton. It looks like they'll be close to flush (but there will be a little distance between them).

Might as well see what it would take to add a bike to the mix. Which at the moment looks like $100-250 for a used bike, $70 for Wahoo cadence/speed sensor (bluetooth to iPhone), Travel Trac Trainer ($130 mentioned by DC Rainmaker in 2018 trainer reviews). About $500 all in isn't a terrible price. Plus, I know a few people with bike equipment that might be looking to upgrade if I give them a good price on their used current items.

If you don’t want all the extra metrics that come with the regular Stryd, there is Stryd Live for about $100 cheaper, that works with Zwift. I think it just provides speed and distance. Maybe you’ve already seen that, but I’m not sure I found out about it until I bought the regular Stryd and signed up to try Zwift for the first time.

We had the same concerns with NordicTrac in terms of recent reports of poor quality. And the fact that we couldn't go anywhere to test the exact one we were looking at made it a non-starter for us... we weren't willing to spend that kind of money on something we couldn't try first.

If you don’t want all the extra metrics that come with the regular Stryd, there is Stryd Live for about $100 cheaper, that works with Zwift. I think it just provides speed and distance. Maybe you’ve already seen that, but I’m not sure I found out about it until I bought the regular Stryd and signed up to try Zwift for the first time.

Yea, I saw that as well. If I went with just a speed/cadence sensor then I might go with the Garmin footpod since it's about $50 (although I believe it requires calibration and Stryd does not and Garmin is ANT+).

We had the same concerns with NordicTrac in terms of recent reports of poor quality. And the fact that we couldn't go anywhere to test the exact one we were looking at made it a non-starter for us... we weren't willing to spend that kind of money on something we couldn't try first.

Completely agree. I am not investing thousands unless I can try it first.

Now with potentially three devices lined up (elliptical, bike, and treadmill), I'm trying to figure out a way to make the TV mobile so that it can be placed at the right height and directly in front of each device. I need the TV to be able to range in ground height from roughly 60-72 inch to mid of tv screen (bike) to about 72-84 inch at mid screen (elliptical/treadmill). Having three different TVs with mounts would be cost-prohibitive (and even if no TV in front of elliptical, I'd still want one in front of the bike and treadmill). So total cost has to be less than 2 TVs and mounts ($330x2 + $100x2 = $860). Although there is the ease of not having to move a TV all over the place.

This is what I've come up with thus far. The TV is likely to be 40" and weighs 17 pounds. If the top of the TV is at 85" from the ground and measures at 22" in height, then it covers the space from 63" to 85" from ground. If I stand on the Peloton, the top of the screen is estimated at 60" relative to my height (and 72" relative to the ground). If the Peloton monitor is roughly 18-24 inch in front of my eyes, then I can see about 8" below the monitor if the TV screen is about another 22-24 inch beyond the monitor. That would make the lowest height of my viewing on the Peloton relative to me at about 52". So that means the effective lowest ground height I can see is 64". So, in theory, I should be able to see the whole 40" TV if the middle of the TV is at least 74" from the ground (if I've got my numbers right).

*Remind me to tell Steph not to go on work trips anymore as it causes my head to spin with lots of ideas....

-78" max height tripod (link) at $272
-72" max height quad pod (link) at $170
-74" max height tripod (link) at $56 *seems like I could change height fairly easily, but at 74" it might be just at the limit (top of TV estimated at 85" (74" + 11" mid TV) and eye level at 79" when standing on treadmill). The max height could also be misleading since it seems to be suggesting the top of the bracket (not the middle of the TV).
-84" max height stand (link) at $427 *doesn't look easy to change height on the fly
-84" max height stand (link) at $355 *not sure how easy it would be to adjust height on fly

Then for safety, I'd use some D-Link steel anchor mounts into the wall with a safety chain. This way I can strap the TV stand down to prevent it from tipping (but make it quick release so I can move it easily).

Woot woot and Uncle Bill just emailed me with a free bike trainer! Just need the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor and a bike!

I have something like this (link) to mount a TV to my wall. It’s not quite the same, but the concept of how the TV attaches is. There is a plate that attaches to the TV, and then the TV just slides into a clip and hangs from the mount. If you had two of the wall mounts then you might be able to just move the TV back and forth, and not deal with the stand.

Also, is it possible to angle each piece of equipment towards a single location, and then swivel the TV back and forth as needed? Maybe that’s not ideal with the difference in heights of the treadmill and bike...

I just saw a giant peloton truck recently!

I have a basic precor so can't give you any advice.

Wish I could bike during this recovery period! But alas many things have come up recently so running has dropped to the wayside even though it's such a priority for me. I wonder how much fitness I'll lose. :(

I find it's hard to run "fast" and watch tv. But probably because I just rest my iPad on the treadmill. But those long slogs really go by slowly on a treadmill, even if I'm watching a movie. I actually like listening to podcasts when I run on the treadmill, just like outside.

I have something like this (link) to mount a TV to my wall. It’s not quite the same, but the concept of how the TV attaches is. There is a plate that attaches to the TV, and then the TV just slides into a clip and hangs from the mount. If you had two of the wall mounts then you might be able to just move the TV back and forth, and not deal with the stand.

Also, is it possible to angle each piece of equipment towards a single location, and then swivel the TV back and forth as needed? Maybe that’s not ideal with the difference in heights of the treadmill and bike...

That's a nice option! I could in theory get 2 or 3 for the same price as the ones I found and mount it at the height I like for each equipment. Then just move it to the different spots via the detaching feature. Probably a lot safer than a stand at 84". Might be a tad difficult to get the TV off and attached solo (or at the height I'll be at). But I like the look of it, and the TV I'm looking at is 1/3 of the weight capacity. And that VESA plate doesn't look like it would effect the TVs components for me. Thanks for the link!

I just saw a giant peloton truck recently!

Fun!

Wish I could bike during this recovery period! But alas many things have come up recently so running has dropped to the wayside even though it's such a priority for me. I wonder how much fitness I'll lose. :(

Doubt you'll lose as much as you think. You could take 10 weeks completely off from all aerobic activity and still only lose 20% VO2max. Remember that it is easier to regain fitness then it is to build new fitness. How long between your last run and your expected return date? Maybe this time away from running will be good to allow your body to heal too.

I find it's hard to run "fast" and watch tv. But probably because I just rest my iPad on the treadmill. But those long slogs really go by slowly on a treadmill, even if I'm watching a movie. I actually like listening to podcasts when I run on the treadmill, just like outside.

Good to know. I've got no experience there so it's good to hear input.

That's a nice option! I could in theory get 2 or 3 for the same price as the ones I found and mount it at the height I like for each equipment. Then just move it to the different spots via the detaching feature. Probably a lot safer than a stand at 84". Might be a tad difficult to get the TV off and attached solo (or at the height I'll be at). But I like the look of it, and the TV I'm looking at is 1/3 of the weight capacity. And that VESA plate doesn't look like it would effect the TVs components for me. Thanks for the link!

Fun!

Doubt you'll lose as much as you think. You could take 10 weeks completely off from all aerobic activity and still only lose 20% VO2max. Remember that it is easier to regain fitness then it is to build new fitness. How long between your last run and your expected return date? Maybe this time away from running will be good to allow your body to heal too.

I second the idea that runs seem to take a lot longer on the treadmill, even with entertainment.

Another thought, while you are in super-planning-mode: treadmill + TV = loud. Even a quiet treadmill has a motor and belt and then you're pounding on it as you run. You have to really crank the TV volume to be able to hear the dynamic range in a lot of modern TV shows and movies. This can be annoying to anyone else in the house. You might consider bluetooth headphones for your entertainment audio, then other people in the house only have to listen to the treadmill. A corollary to that is that if you don't use headphones, the TV speakers may not be loud enough.

Even though my setup is in the basement, my DH can pretty much follow along the plot of anything I'm watching from upstairs. We've discussed the headphone route, but at the moment it would be too much retrofitting or replacing equipment, and apparently it doesn't bother him quite enough to want to shell out the money. :) I currently have the TV sound routed through a stereo system with bigger speakers.

I love the thought and detail into the tv stand. I watch shows on the lap top while I run and it is stacked on top of 2 totes and some cookbooks to get to the right height for me.:)

Second data point: I also find it hard to watch stuff when I'm doing speed work on the treadmill. Too hard to focus. I still try, but I end up rewatching stuff because I don't remember/wasn't paying attention to it during the run.

I also agree with @avondale about the bluetooth headphones. My work treadmills look at TVs and there are no headphones. They blare SO LOUDLY and they're still hard to hear over the 'mill. For the treadmill at home, I use my iPad and my AirPods. Screen's smaller, sure, but the headphones help tune the sound of the 'mill out and keep things quiet while the rest of my family sleeps.

Another thought, while you are in super-planning-mode: treadmill + TV = loud. Even a quiet treadmill has a motor and belt and then you're pounding on it as you run. You have to really crank the TV volume to be able to hear the dynamic range in a lot of modern TV shows and movies. This can be annoying to anyone else in the house. You might consider bluetooth headphones for your entertainment audio, then other people in the house only have to listen to the treadmill. A corollary to that is that if you don't use headphones, the TV speakers may not be loud enough.

I also agree with @avondale about the bluetooth headphones. My work treadmills look at TVs and there are no headphones. They blare SO LOUDLY and they're still hard to hear over the 'mill. For the treadmill at home, I use my iPad and my AirPods. Screen's smaller, sure, but the headphones help tune the sound of the 'mill out and keep things quiet while the rest of my family sleeps.

Good idea! Looks like the TV I'm looking at supports bluetooth headphones. So that might be a good optional item.

I love the thought and detail into the tv stand. I watch shows on the lap top while I run and it is stacked on top of 2 totes and some cookbooks to get to the right height for me.:)

That's my problem. Whenever I do something, I do it to death. LOL! So this slowly grows from a small thing into a giant thing. I always try to plan for the most expensive reasonable option, and then try to scale it back. I'm so detail oriented that I'm trying to envision me doing this and all the things I may or may not need.

I adore my Bluetooth headphones - Plantronics Backbeat Fit. They are one of the few purchases that make me happy every time I use them. I can follow tv shows on the treadmill so much better since the sound quality is so good, and I love having wireless headphones outside too.

I adore my Bluetooth headphones - Plantronics Backbeat Fit. They are one of the few purchases that make me happy every time I use them. I can follow tv shows on the treadmill so much better since the sound quality is so good, and I love having wireless headphones outside too.

Look nice to me. I probably wouldn't use mine outside at the moment because I only use a iPod mini with no bluetooth capability.

So Steph's Uncle Bill has a "Watt Master Nashbar Fluid" trainer. I'm trying to figure out whether that is compatible with Zwift. Not an easy task for sure. Because the Nashbar Fluid and Nashbar Fluid Pro are supported, but it doesn't specifically say the Watt Master Nashbar Fluid. But from what I can tell, the Watt Master Nashbar Fluid is a rebranded Elite Supercrono Power Fluid:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/678723-kurt-kinetic-vs-nashbar-watt-master.html

Post partially down the line.

elite-supercrono-power-fluid.jpg

Which means the chamber should look similar to the one in this picture.

41i0DgbBPRL.jpg

Which means I would choose the option of "Elite Fluid Red Roller" from the Zwift menu.

Or this one:

nashbar-watt-master-wireless-fluid-trainer-5effde8736c1d752af3350ee9813b211.jpg

Which looks more like this one:

elitefluidgrayroller.jpg

Which is an Elite Fluid Grey Roller.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/...ch-Elite-Classic-Trainers-Does-Zwift-Support-

I'm seeing if he can give it a trial run on Zwift with that choice to see if he thinks that power estimation lines up with his effort/previous workouts.

Plus, I might get a free bike and might get a free TV. Things might be getting cheaper. Still gathering data.

I'd like to echo what others said about loud running. I don't think I'm a heavy runner, but I have to turn up the volume even on my headphones. I also think that a TV is great if that's what you're used to. I was also considering buying a frame when I first got my treadmill since I was used to running in the gym with TVs on their treadmills. I loved watching ESPN since it was pretty brainless but could be exciting. Plus those 15 min quarters always ended up being closer to 45 min. However, I didn't want to purchase another cable box for it and eventually found an ipad was sufficient (and nowadays you can stream ESPN!). But once the majority of my runs were outside with podcasts/music, it became hard for me to watch TV indoors.

Personally, I'm a terrible patient. I only see doctors for prenatal care. LOL And I feel guilty that running is self indulgent so I don't like taking up more time to address injuries. So I'm not sure what my injury is, but likely a tear vs stress fracture. I cannot keep myself away from the treadmill and this past week have started one 10 min mile a day. I did 2 miles outside today since my husband took the kids to the zoo and even taking it slow (12 min pace) I'm worried I might have aggravated my injury. Plus the baby is having a sleep regression/teething so he only naps while he's nursing! :( Also we've decided to move and now I have to say goodbye to my beloved running trails, which is why I ran outside today. But every time we're near the new house, I'm scoping out possible routes. There's a middle school nearby with a track, so I can't wait to do intervals on it! But between the sleep regression, injury, move and remodeling, I don't think I'll be able to run much. So I'm guessing very intermittent short runs for the next 3-4 months.

Do you think one 10 min mile a day is even worth doing? I don't think that aggravates my injury ... but who knows?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter