To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Now that Dopey is behind me, it’s time to nail goal #2 – a sub 4-hour marathon

The focus of 2014 was on achieving the sub 4-hour marathon. I scoured the internet trying to find a training plan that would fit me. I saw someone on Facebook post to another runner’s wall about the FIRST method. It was only three days per week of running. So, since I had been doing that pretty regularly, I thought using their plan for a HM and then a Marathon would be the solution to finally achieving that sub-4. I based the pacing on an 8 min/mile 10k (no idea why since Disney was an 8:20 min/mile) and with that got a pacing scheme that maxed with the long run at 45 seconds slower than 10k pace (8:45 min/mile). I mean the only way to get faster when running is by training super hard and training at goal paces, right? This was also the first training plan I did that included set paces and speed intervals.

Training went relatively well. I was doing what the plan told me to the best of my ability. Although, I was still traveling so that caused some hiccups. I had visited the doctor in February of 2014 and weighed in at 178, BMI of 23.7, resting HR of 60, blood glucose of 101, blood pressure of 106/80, cholesterol of 190, HDL of 57, and Chol/HDL ratio of 3.3. Compared to where I was earlier in my life, these were fantastic numbers.

Oh, and Gigi was born in February! When I had that meeting back in January 2012 with the doctor, I left it knowing I had to make some changes. It was necessary to get my health back in line so that I would be able to enjoy my child’s life. Now, here she was. Easily one of the best days of my life.

2014 Gigi.jpg

I went into the May 2014 HM with a goal of a 1:50 HM. I decided to line up with the 1:50 pace group (8:23 min/mile). Off I went with them. Everything felt good, and then we hit the first mile at 8:00. Wow, we were flying a little quick. But no matter, I’m sure the pacers know what they’re doing. Then the second mile was 8:13 with a serious climb in it. Well, I mean we’re closer to the 8:23 goal pace… Then 8:06 and then 8:19. And, then I was DONE! I hit the fatigue wall HARD. An 8:54, 8:51, 9:30, 9:14, 9:42, 9:52, 11:37, 12:12, 14:22 min/mile. A final finishing time of 2:12:26. I blamed the weather (it was hot). I blamed the pacer (I mean we were supposed to be doing 8:23 min/mile pace). I blamed my failed attempt at trying to mix the Endurance powder while running (but it was just super sticky and I just wasn’t good at pouring powder into water bottles and running at the same time). I blamed the course for being 13.5 miles (I mean it was measured wrong according to Runtastic). This is where I should have had my biggest clue as to the inaccuracy of my running app. The pacer very likely was running an 8:23 min/mile pace, but my app was wildly inaccurate and thus all my training was way off. And yet, I didn’t have that realization and instead blamed everything else for my performance and massive wall slam. I probably should have also blamed my overzealous training pacing scheme, but alas I did not.

2014 Madison Spring HM.jpg

My wife asked me how I wanted to display my runs. Most people liked displaying their medals, but the medals never meant that much to me. I was always more focused on the time. So, I perused around Etsy and found a pretty cool idea. A time board. I could use chalk boards to update my PRs and insert planks for each individual race. So, my wife made me the time board and we hung it in the hallway.

2014 May.jpg

After a disappointing Spring HM, it was time to regroup and get ready for the “A” goal of 2014 – break 4 hours in the marathon. I followed the FIRST marathon training program with running 3 times per week. I left the pacing at an 8 min/mile 10k. Thus, my long mid-week runs were at a 9:00 min/mile (10k + 60 sec). The weekend long runs were at marathon pace + 0-45 seconds based on the week. In the middle of marathon training (in August) I ran another HM. I finished in 1:57:02. I was finally sub-2 officially! Although, my running app had me at 13.99 miles, so I thought “what my luck, another too long course”. I even posted to Facebook that my time should have been more like 1:49. I still hadn’t caught on yet. I also gave another attempt to pouring powder into my bottles and decided this method just wasn’t going to work.

2014 Madison Mini.jpg

During this last stretch of training I actually tried a new nutrition method. I was going to use raisins and cherries mid-run instead of powder. But to accomplish this it would take a lot of raisins and cherries. So, I packed little baggies super dense. It was difficult to run and chew these at the same time, but it was certainly doable.

As soon as the August HM was done, I jumped into a mega training period. I did 20, 15, 17, 15, 20, 15, 20, 15, and 20 miles in consecutive weekends. The FIRST plan is really heavy on the weekend long run and I was convinced that would carry me through to the sub 4 marathon I was looking for. The problem was I wasn’t terribly good at following directions. So, while I was supposed to be running these at MP + 0-45 seconds, I wasn’t. It was more of the PR the day mindset. The only way to get faster, is to train super hard. The first 20 mile was at a 10:19 min/mile. But after that it was 15 @ 8:49, 17 @ 8:44, 15 @ 8:24, 20 @ 8:58, 15 @ 8:34, 20 @ 8:33, 15 @ 8:22, 20 @ 8:30, and 15 @ 8:50. Granted that’s what I thought I was doing, but in reality, these were all off by 5%. So, the distance was less and the pace was slower (pace more like 8:49-9:16). Regardless, this was WAY too fast for a goal 9:09 marathon. But with this brutal training period behind me I was ready to attack that sub 4 marathon!

On November 9th, 2014, I lined up for my 3rd marathon. That was going to be the day I finally went sub-4. I lined up with the 4-hour pacer. While my Spring HM was ruined (well not quite) by the pacer in that race, I was willing to give it another chance. I remember the race was cold. I remember that there was a significant hill at mile 9. I remember I switched water bottles with my wife at mile 10. I went from empty bottles to heavy full bottles and that was like a kick to the ego because I felt sooo much heavier. Through 13.1 miles I was still hanging with the pace group. All the while my running app was suggesting I was running in the 8:45s not the 9:09s. But this is when I started to realize it wasn’t the course and it wasn’t the pacers. It was my running app that was giving false data. All of those training days at 8:24-8:50s weren’t actually at those paces. In reality, I had no idea how fast I trained. Not too soon after that realization, things started to turn for me. The fatigue was becoming too much and I was struggling to stay with the pacers. Around mile 15, the wheels fell off. I had to let them go, but I would continue on as much as I could. I made it all the way to mile 25 before I had to stop for a walking break. I came across the line in 4:20:34. A PR by 15 minutes! But to be honest, I was disappointed in the lack of the sub-4. Stats wise I finished as such:

Final Time: 4:20:34 (9:57 min/mile average pace)
Overall: 721/1271 (57%)
Division: 77/103 (75%)

2014 Madison Marathon.jpg

In 2014, there were 550,600 marathon finishers. This means about 313,000 finishers ran the marathon faster than me that year. In addition, about 31,000 males of a similar age were faster. I had some ground to make up to be a better marathoner. But I had cut a significant dent of people off. When I ran my first marathon in 2012, there were 390,000 faster finishers. I moved up by about 80,000 runners.

I was making progress. But honestly, I just assumed I hadn’t trained hard enough. When the next non-Dopey challenge marathon came around I knew I had to train harder to reach the sub-4. I also knew I needed to get a GPS watch because having inaccurate data to train by was holding me back. But before I could worry about any of that, I had Dopey #2 in only a few weeks.

I did 2 weeks of easy running. Then a Dopey simulation week with a back to back 10 milers. Then 2 runs and 3 runs the next weeks. Then another Dopey simulation week with a 12 and 17 miler. For Christmas, Steph got me a Garmin 620. This was another one of those “moments” that helped define my running journey. I owe a lot of my progression to finally diving in and getting a GPS watch. With the Garmin, I would be able to have more data and train more specifically at paces.

For year’s end in 2014, I had run 1091 miles. First time over 1000 miles!!! I had set a goal of 1250 miles in 2015 and felt that was an achievable goal. Since this also marked the end of the use of the running app, Runtastic, I also had good stats for all of 2012-2014 training. I had run 2242 miles, 332 hours, and had an elevation gain of 79547 feet in 31 months.

I went into Dopey #2 with the goal to beat each of my times from the 4 races of Dopey #1. I don’t remember much from this trip either. I remember that this was my daughter’s first trip to Disney World. I know that I wanted to make sure my racing at Disney didn’t infringe on others Disney vacation. Which meant, I would race in the morning and then be prepared to partake in whatever park hopping, ride persuing, and character pictures that everyone else was doing. The only thing I did was make sure to be in bed by around 6-8pm. I knew sleep was important to my performance. So I did my best to balance a family vacation with the desire to race as well as possible.

If memory serves me correct, then this was the year with the super cold 5k or 10k. The 5k was a letdown because I failed to beat Dopey #1 (23:52 vs 23:36). Although, I made up for it with good performances in the 10k, HM, and M. My bib # this year was 31827 (so 1827 runners with a faster POT). Another goal was to set a PR in all of the 4 distances (5k, 10k, HM, and M) and 2 cumulative challenges (HM+M and 5k+10k+HM+M). I termed this the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge.

5k – 23:52 (worse by 16 seconds) – Garmin Link
10k – 49:49 (better by 1:56) – Garmin Link
HM – 1:59:04 (better by 12:52) – Garmin Link
M – 4:27:23 (better by 7:44) – Garmin Link
Dopey – 7:40:08 (better by 22:16)
Beat the bib – 672nd vs Bib # 1827

The 10k was a PR. The 5k was only 16 seconds off PR, HM was only ~6 minutes off my PR and M only 7 minutes off PR. So overall, a very solid performance to string those together. Although, I still didn’t beat the goal of a sub-4 marathon, sub-7 Dopey from Dopey #1, or a Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge. I finished Dopey in 672nd out of 6488 Dopey finishers. An improvement of 242 finishers and I beat the bib again!

2015 Dopey c.jpg

My mom ran the 10k that year, Steph ran the HM, and G ran the diaper dash. I was so proud of Steph for running the HM after having G earlier in 2014. So, I had worked in secret with an artist whom paints Toms. Together we came up with a custom Aristocats (one of her favorite Disney movies) concept. She was so happy to finally find out what the big secret was.

2015 Dopey 10.jpg

Gigi did so well in her first race. The diaper dash was a short 3-meter race for babies. Some kids would roll, crawl, or walk. Gigi had just started getting comfortable with walking not too much before that, so she definitely had an advantage. It was SUPER COLD! She finished the 3-m run in 26.24 seconds. In hindsight, we should have probably skipped the run because she ended up getting a little sick afterwards.

2015 Dopey G race.jpg

Gigi also had a great time in Disney World. While she wasn’t even 1 year old yet, it was surprising how much she interacted with the characters. It was like she recognized them.

2015 Dopey 3.jpg

One thing that had gotten away from me during these last few months was my weight. I had allowed it to creep up into the 190s in January 2015. It was time to take my weight seriously again and get back into shape.

Now that Dopey #2 is behind me, it’s time to nail goal #2 – a sub 4-hour marathon

With Dopey #2 behind me, it was time to refocus on the “A” goal – break 4-hours in the marathon. It was the goal for 2014 as well, but it didn’t happen. So, the goal moved to 2015. Instead of a Fall marathon, I decided to give a Spring marathon a chance. I also determined that I was putting too few eggs in my racing basket. I had too much pressure on individual races, because I wasn’t racing enough. So, I decided to do more races, in an effort to minimize the disappointments of missing goals on any one race. Well no big deal if you’ve got another one in two weeks, right? So, I decided to race two HMs before the M and then another HM a few weeks after the M. I decided to use the FIRST marathon training plan again. I added a medicine ball routine used by the UNC basketball team when Hansbourough played there. I set the paces based on an 8:10 10k. But decided to keep the long mid-week run at 9:00 (instead of 9:10). No idea why I made this decision.

I set out again on another brutal stretch of training. On the weekends, I did 15, 18, 20, 13, 18, 15, 20, 15, 8, 13.1 race, 20, 13.1 race, 10 and 26.2 race in consecutive weeks. That’s almost a 2.5 hour (or race) weekend run every week for 12 weekends. But stuck with the FIRST three days per week training with a mid-week Thurs run of 5-10 miles and a Tues speed session. The training went really well and I crushed several of the 20 milers and had a ton of confidence.

In February 2015, I visited the doctor again. Weight was 181, BMI of 24.4, resting HR of 68, blood pressure of 114/60, blood glucose of 89, cholesterol of 168, HDL of 52, and ratio of 3.2. Very solid numbers all around!

In early April, I ran the first HM (South Shore) in Milwaukee. I had set a goal of a PR (1:53). This was a bare bones race that was only $15! My type of race. No medals, no frills. Just pure racing! I wore my Dopey finishers shirt and got a few shout outs on course. It was a COLD race with temps in the 30s. The pacing was pretty even throughout. I nailed a new PR of 1:49:27! I was through the moon with the performance because I had finally broken 1:50 in the HM.

Garmin Link

2015 South Shore.jpg

In late April, I ran the second HM (the local Parkinson’s race I had run in 2013 that was a short course). The goal was to make this run a supported training run at goal marathon pace. So that meant sticking with a 9:09 pace throughout with a goal finishing time of 2:00:00. Alas, being a type “A” person I couldn’t do this as a supported training run. I only knew one speed, “GO”. So, it ended up being an effort between all out and supported training run. I ended up running a 1:55 (3rd fastest HM). With these two HMs behind me, I looked up a race equivalent marathon performance and got a 3:49. So, I felt relatively confident a sub-4 was going to happen in a few weeks. I had also gotten my weight back in check with it being in the low 170s by May 2015.

Garmin Link

2015 Parkinsons.jpg

One of the benefits of the Garmin 620 was a better collection of data. For the May marathon training I had done the following:

Distance – 383 miles
Duration – 60:22:27
Average Pace – 9:27 min/mile (Goal Marathon Pace + 18 sec)
Average HR – 152/min (78% Heart Rate Reserve based on a maxHR of 177 and rHR of 60)
Average Cadence – 166

To be fair, I was not tracking these things in the moment. More so, this is a summary of data after the fact.

To this point in my running journey, there had been several key moments. Being told I needed to lose weight by my doctor in January 2012. Running for the first time in years in June 2012. Running my first marathon in October 2012. Swearing up and down that I would never run another marathon. Being convinced the Dopey challenge (5k+10k+HM+M) was a good idea. Yea, no more marathons, but a marathon proceeded by other races sounds like a great plan. Then buying a GPS watch to gather more accurate training data. But May 2nd, 2015 marked the most important moment to date. It was the day everything really changed for me.

So, on May 2nd, 2015 I attempted my 5th marathon (and 3rd non-multi race). It was the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha. I can vividly remember during the warm-up stretches looking over to my wife and saying “This warm up feels good. Today is going to be the day I break 4 hours.” Even though the HMs predicted I could run a 3:49, I only really wanted to break 4. So, I decided to stick with pacing around a 9:09 min/mile. The first few miles went according to plan. An 8:57, then 9:02, 9:11, 9:11, 9:12, and then 9:19. Oh no, what’s that? A bit too slow. Better pick up the effort. Then a 9:06, 9:15. Ahh, I’m falling off pace. It’s only a few seconds, but every second matters. Then mile 9 was a 9:23. Things were falling apart on me. All that work, everything for nothing. I knew based on the course map that I would make a loop back to Steph, G, and the start/finish at mile 11. I just wanted to walk off the course. I seriously considered a DNF. I wasn’t sick, injured, etc. I just wasn’t having the day I had imagined for the last several weeks of 15+ mile long training runs. I was so mad. I decided since I’m not injured to just continue running. If I DNF today, then it might open up a precedent in future races that don’t go my way to DNF again and again. I needed to use this as a learning experience. By mile 15, the wheels had truly fallen off. I decided to take longer and longer walking breaks. Whenever, I’d see a spectator or an aid station, I’d muster a smile, but inside I was dying. I was just so over it. Miles 21-26 were (13:11, 14:53, 16:44, 15:50, 15:53, 14:13, and 12:49). I finished in 4:58:54.

Final Time: 4:58:54 (11:19 min/mile average pace)
Overall: 572/763 (75%)
Division: 47/54 (87%)

Garmin Link

2015 WI Marathon.jpg

It was a significant step backwards. My worst marathon performance. My first marathon on only 8 weeks of training was better. I initially blamed the weather for the performance. It was true that the weather forecast was 48-64. But when I finished the race, it was 83 out. It certainly played a role, but deep down I knew there must have been another reason. The question was – did I really want to run a marathon anymore? Training was fun. But racing was always so disappointing and not fulfilling. Was I really ever going to be able to run a sub-4 marathon? If I was having such a problem with a sub-4, was it even theoretically possible for me to ever qualify for Boston in my lifetime. I mean it would take a near sub-3 performance for quite some time (as Boston has age/gender defined qualifying criteria). It was time for another decision. Quit running marathons altogether, or find another path?

If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it!

I wasn’t ready to quit. I was trying to set an example for my daughter Gigi. You set a goal. It may be long term, but over time you learn what it takes to reach that goal. You find the path that gets you there. And you have to cancel out the noise around you. That little voice in your head that says, “you can’t”. Set your own limits. So that’s when I came up with my running motto: If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it. I truly wanted it. I was ready to PROVE IT. I just needed to find out what was necessary to get it.

Up to this point, I had been running for ~3 years. In total, I had run 2,625 miles in 392 hours of training. During that time, I had run:

2x 5k
2x 10k
8x Half Marathons
5x Marathons

I had improved my times from the first attempts to the PR during those 3 years of training:

5k – *35:00 to 23:36 (33% improvement)
10k – 51:45 to 49:49 (4% improvement)
HM – 2:01:00 to 1:49:24 (10% improvement)
M – 4:50:26 to 4:20:34 (10% improvement)

In general, I peaked at about 30 miles per week with my longest run of the week consisting of 50-66% of the weekly mileage. Pace-wise, I was almost always training at PR the day or pretty darn close to that effort.

So, on May 6th, I pulled out the credit card and ordered several books:

-Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon (Luke Humphrey)
-The Science of Running: How to find your limit and train to maximize your performance (Steve Magness)
-Advanced Marathoning – 2nd Edition (Pete Pfitzinger)
-Daniels Running Formula – 3rd Edition (Jack Daniels)
-Performance Nutrition for Runners (Matt Fitzgerald)
-Racing Weight Cookbook (Matt Fitzgerald)

And read several scientific journal articles:

-Metabolic Factors Limiting Performance in Marathon Runners (Benjamin Rapoport)
-Marathon Performance in Relation to Body Fat Percentage and Training Indices in Recreational Male Runners (Giovanni Tanda)
-Effects of Tapering on Performance: A Meta-Analysis (Laurent Bosquet)
-Tapering for Marathon and Cardiac Autonomic Function (B Hug)
-The Latest on Carbohydrate Loading: A Practical Approach (Darlene Sedlock)
-Nutritional Recommendations for Competing in the Ironman Triathlon (Anna Robins)
-Rapid Carbohydrate Loading after a Short Bout of Near Maximal-Intensity Exercise (Timothy Fairchild)

The goal. Read. And then read some more. AND THEN KEEP READING. These people had reasons to write this information. So, I needed to absorb as much information as I could to figure out what was “necessary to get it”.

Running was simple. You lace up a pair of running shoes, head out the door, and put one foot in front of the other. You train hard, you PR the day and your goals will come to you.

Running can be complex. It was certainly an eye-opener to do all of this reading. I learned about so many concepts that had never occurred to my “running is simple” mindset. I learned about the “train slow to race fast”, capping the long run based on duration, working the whole pace spectrum instead of just a small portion, eliciting different adaptations based on the type of training, carb loading using liquid carbs with less bulk, mitochondrial density/volume, VO2max, lactate threshold, running economy, muscle fiber types, cumulative fatigue, recovery after bouts of exercise, tapering, the role of warm ups and cool downs, eating healthier, calorie neutral, relationship of carbs and VO2max and rate of depletion, and so on and so on. Suddenly, there was so much more to learn to absorb and to utilize to get better.

After reading the three methods of marathon training (Hansons, Daniels, and Pftizinger), I had to make a decision. Which plan would I utilize for my Fall 2015 marathon. I gravitated towards the Hansons plan. But the fundamental principles of the Hansons method revolved around running slowly more often and capping the long run. Could I really train slower more often and actually get faster? I mean it seems so counterintuitive. Shouldn’t I spend more time training fast and then that will make me faster? I could kind of wrap my head around the concept based on the physiological changes that occur when running slowly. But the concept of capping the long run. I mean really? I’m supposed to max train at 16 miles, and yet race a marathon of 26.2 miles. Now that seems completely off kilter.

I had read tons and yet I was still skeptical. But as I sat there I realized something. I had been training for the last 3 years using other methods, other mindsets, and yet I wasn’t reaching my goals. I still felt as if I should be able to run faster and yet I wasn’t. So, while the concepts seemed radical, I was willing to give it a shot. But to help confirm these feelings I scoured the internet for reviews of the Hansons method. Certainly, there must have been a bevy of other runners whom might have written about their experiences. I found several blogs and message board threads. The consensus – it works! Success story after success story about how runners used their method to crush their goals. It wasn’t all positive reviews though. There were a few out there would had used their methods with less than stellar results. But as I dug deeper into their stories it occurred to me that while they followed the Hansons method, they really didn’t “follow” it. They upped the pacing, or they set goals/paces that weren’t relevant to current fitness, or they added some longer runs than scheduled (because well you need those). The runners with less than stellar results were those that attempted to manipulate the method in a way where it made it no longer something that resembled the Hansons method.

I was convinced. For me to reach my goals (sub 4 marathon and eventually qualify for the Boston Marathon), I knew this was “necessary to get it”. But it wasn’t that simple. The Hansons method required 6 days per week. I had been doing 3 days per week. And with a one year old daughter, even 3 days a week required some shuffling. But this was going to be 6 days per week now. So, I went to my wife and asked for permission to run 6 days per week. This wasn’t just a “me” decision, it needed to be something that I had support in doing, it needed to be a family decision. I’ll give it a try for training cycle and then after that I’ll go back to a normal training regimen. She agreed to allow me to attempt it with the idea that I would try and minimize the effect on our family life.

So, as I started setting up the Hansons schedule into my excel spreadsheet, it became necessary to choose a set of training paces. Since it was clear that training at current physiological pacing and not goal pace was optimal from the reading I had done, I had to make a choice. The Hansons book had training paces based on 5 min increments of marathon time. The 3:50 marathon was a 1:50 HM equivalent. The 3:45 marathon was a 1:48 equivalent. I had run a 1:49:24 in April (about 1 month earlier). So, do I go with 3:50 or 3:45? I ended up choosing the 3:45 pacing scheme. That put my marathon pace at an 8:35 min/mile. But more importantly, it put my easy pacing at a 9:18-10:21 min/mile. I hadn’t trained that slow intentionally in forever.

But before the Hansons training cycle could start, I still had one more race left on the schedule in May. Three weeks after my May marathon, I ran a half marathon in Madison. The one thing I knew was that around mile 10 was a MONSTER hill. Over 0.14 miles was an 80 foot ascent (10.8% grade). I ended up running a 1:55:12 which was only 7 seconds faster than the April HM before the marathon. Once the final race was off the schedule, it was time to start the Hansons training.

Garmin Link

2015 Madison Spring HM.jpg

I had to make a decision as to whether I would follow the Beginner or Advanced plan. I had done speed work previously (like the Advanced), but I wasn’t near the mileage base necessary to jump into it. So, I made an “Intermediate” plan. I combined the mileage of the Beginner plan with the speed pacing of the Advanced plan.

In addition to following a new training plan, I also planned on following a new diet regimen. Since April 2012, I had mostly been doing the following:

Breakfast
Special K Oats and Honey (4 servings or ~3 cups)
Milk

Lunch

Whole Wheat Bread
Skippy Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (6 tablespoons, that's a lot... I love peanut butter!)
Baby Carrots
Yoplait Fat Free Yogurt

Dinner
Chicken/Turkey/Ground Beef/Ground Turkey/Pork
Grain
Vegetable

I decided to try and eat more whole foods and cut out some of the added sugar in my diet. I also thought because protein is the building block of the muscles I probably needed to increase my intake. My overall goal was to reduce fat intake, keep carb intake the same, and increase protein intake. I also decided I shouldn't limit my food consumption as much and to put the bulk of my eating during breakfast.

Breakfast
Eggland Best Cage Free Eggs (3 eggs)
Salsa with whole tomatoes and onions
Siracha
Whole grain oatmeal (1 cup)
Cherries (2 servings)
Canadian Bacon (lean, no added nitrates) (4 slices)

Lunch
Whole Wheat Bread
Turkey (lean, no added nitrates)
Mustard
Halo oranges (2)
Pink Lady Apple (1)
Banana (2)
Baby Carrots

Dinner
Chicken/Turkey/Ground Turkey/Pork
Grain
Vegetable

I didn’t drink anything other than water or milk (exception for carb drinks). I've never been a fan of alcohol. I generally ate a small chocolate each night, but didn’t feel the need to most nights.

On June 1st, 2015 I started the new training cycle. Previously, my highest training mileage week was around 30 miles. That was quickly surpassed by week 3 of the plan. I don’t remember a ton about that training cycle. But the one thing I do remember is that it never felt that hard. Training three days per week with several 20-mile long runs - That was tiring, exhausting, and painful. Training six days per week and going slowly with durations caps - not actually that hard. Sometimes it felt like I wasn’t even trying that hard. But I always reminded myself of the follies of others who had followed this method. Those that succeeded didn’t deviate and those that “failed” went rogue or fell into old habits. So, no matter how easy it felt, I just needed to keep up the work. The plan is a progression with the intent of getting harder and harder over time. Rather than worry about how easy it was or if I was training too slow for my goals, I tried to hit the intervals within the scheduled pace. Let’s try and hit as many miles or speed intervals within a tight window. Take satisfaction in hitting 100% of a day’s workout, then trying to PR the day.

After 6 weeks of training, which was primarily the “getting ready” type of training, I had a half marathon race. Based on previous years of this half marathon, I had a decent chance at age-grouping. It was lightly attended (~150 people) and usually not many in my age division. It was a HOT (relatively speaking) race though as it was in the middle of July. So, I set the goal of age-grouping and running it in 1:55 or less (roughly the same as the last two HMs). This pace (a 1:55 HM) is an 8:48 min/mile which would put it between marathon pace and long run pace. Of course, how goals go and race plans go, what do they say… “best laid plans of mice and men”… I started off on a torrent pace instead (sub 8:20 min/mile). As the race progressed, I settled into marathon pace (8:35) and just tried to hold that throughout. As I hit that 12th mile, things started to get a bit more difficult and the pace slipped into the 8:50s. The first thought that crossed my mind was: “If I can’t keep up this pace for 12 miles, then how am I supposed to do 26.2 miles at it?” It was a bit worrisome, but I just had to trust the plan. I finished in 1:51:39 (8:31 min/mile) which was about 4 minutes under goal. I also captured a 2nd place age division place! The first time I had age grouped since I started about 3 years ago. Now there were only 5 people in my division, but still… I got silver! So, I was able to run my 2nd fastest HM, in the middle of training, in the heat of July… I questioned being able to finish the marathon at this pace, but I was certainly thrilled with this HM performance.

Garmin Link

2015 SummitFest.jpg

So, I pressed on with the training. Completing my speed intervals, my marathon tempo workouts, and my long runs. All the while sticking with the easy pacing days. My weekly mileage had gone from maxing at 30s to being consistently in the 40s and 50s. The next test was another attempt at the August Madison half marathon. I had run this race the previous year with a finishing time of 1:57:02. My first legit sub-2 half marathon. I wasn’t expecting much out of this race. I had set a goal of 2:02. But, well you know, goals and all. Type A person who is going to give 100% effort in nearly every race. My mom was also running this race for her first half marathon. She wanted to run one half marathon before her half marathon at Disney in January 2016. I started off a little more conservatively than the last HM with an 8:30 starting mile. But after that I settled into paces around an 8:15 min/mile. The goal was to stay relatively conservative because there was another giant hill in this race. Not quite the Spring HM hill, but still a challenge. I hit a sub 8 min/mile in a HM (a 7:57 for mile 9). I hit that hill around mile 9.5 and then just let loose. I kept feeling strong and kept pushing hard. Then at mile 11, something strange happened. I had made it a habit to study the USATF certification maps for races. I primarily had done it in an attempt to maximize my tangent running by knowing exactly where the certifier had measured the course. Well at around mile 11 we were supposed to do a short jaunt through the hospital parking lot. But when we got there, we didn’t. The cones were there. There were some volunteers in the distance. But for some reason they waved us down the mesh point. It was just supposed to be a small loop and likely no one else would have even noticed it didn’t happen. But I knew it was the case because of studying the course. I finished the run with a very strong finish, never really feeling overly fatigued. That last sprint to the finish I apparently hit sub 5-minute mile pace for a second or two. Finished in 1:45:47! A PR by almost 4 minutes and I still felt great. Granted my Garmin’s distance was 12.91 miles. So, a PR, but who knows my how much exactly. I was upset about the course being short so I for sure notified the race director through a survey. My mom also finished the HM in about 2:25! So, proud of her for tackling her very first half marathon.

Garmin Link

2015 Madison Mini.jpg

I had little doubt now that the Hansons plan was working. I could tell I was getting much much stronger. Racing was becoming fun again. It was becoming a fulfilling process of goal crushing! It finally felt like all the hard work I was putting in was paying off. But the question still loomed… Would the training yield a sub-4 marathon?

As race day approached, it was necessary to determine a realistic goal. Something tangible as a prediction that I could work off. I had trained at a 3:45 goal pace. My 1:45:47 HM predicted a 3:42 marathon based on McMillan and a 3:41 marathon based on the Hansons pacing scheme (which I had broken down into an excel calculator). In addition, I had been accumulating a bevy of heart rate data. I created a x-y scatter plot of the relationship between my running pace and heart rate at that relative pace. I also had historical results from previous races. So, I had a general idea what my 5k, 10k, HM, or M HR should be based on past events. In effect, I was determining how fast I could run a set distance based on current HRvPace data. Based on the HRvPace graph, I was predicting a 3:40 marathon. So, the data all seemed relatively tight on the prediction – somewhere between 3:40-3:45. If I could actually hit that, I would have been ecstatic.

2015 Lakefront HRvPace.png

I had trained harder (but slower) and smarter for the 2015 October Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon, but the question was would it pay off?

Total weeks – 18 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 17 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks mileage – 786.25 miles
Average # of miles during non-recovery weeks – 46.3 miles
Total non-recovery weeks duration – 124:27:20
Average duration during non-recovery weeks – 7:19:15
# of runs at 150 minutes (max duration) – 3
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 8:35 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 8:34 min/mile
Average Overall Pace – 9:35 min/mile (Goal Marathon Pace + 60 sec)
Average HR – 142/min (70% Heart Rate Reserve based on a maxHR of 177 and rHR of 60)
Average Cadence – 170 spm

I trained more (44.5 miles per week average over 18 weeks vs May marathon of 21.3 miles per week). I had trained relatively slower (Goal Marathon Pace + 60 seconds vs GMP + 18 sec). And I did so at a lower average HR (70% HRR vs 78% HRR) with a faster average cadence (170 spm vs 165 spm). So, while I was training slower, I had actually increased my overall cadence. This was all in an effort to have a more efficient stride. Using less energy per step would allow me to maintain running faster for longer.

In the days leading up to the race, I followed a 3-day carb loading procedure. I ate more carbs, less fat and protein. But I didn’t change the number of calories consumed. I was interested in trying out the Western Australian method of carb loading (liquid carbs on day before the race following a 110% VO2max workout). But I wasn’t confident in trying the method just yet, so I held off and penciled that in for Dopey #3 in January 2016.

Coming into the Hansons cycle, I had decided to revamp my diet. I started eating more healthy calories and aimed for a caloric neutral approach. I actually dropped a few pounds even though I was eating more and not running a daily deficit. I felt much stronger because of this dietary change as well.

The training was behind me. On October 4th, 2015 I lined up for my 6th marathon. My PR was a 4:20 a year ago, and my last marathon was my worst at 4:58. My metrics suggested a goal of a 3:40-3:45 was reasonable, but was it actually possible?

For this race, I was also trying a few new things beyond just the Hansons training. I had decided for this marathon to “let go” more. I set goals and I certainly want to meet them. But my own desires and mind can be my worst enemy during a race. I care too much. So, when I’d see my pace slip, I’d start to panic. My goals were gone and my motivation would be lost. Thus, I promised to myself for this race to try not to care as much. I wanted the sub-4 marathon, but I also needed to enjoy the day regardless of the outcome. Just “let go” and see what happens. So, this was my first foray into “blind running”. I paid some attention to the pace, but overall, I ignored it.

Also, instead of my normal Saucony Ride trainers, this was the first race that I would try a new to me shoe – Saucony Kinvara. A little bit of a lighter shoe that may give me that tiny advantage I was looking for. It worked well in training during speed sessions. But I wasn’t sure whether it would hold up to the marathon.

Lastly, I used the knowledge gained from Ben Rapoport’s paper Metabolic Factors Limiting Performance in Marathon Runners in an attempt to optimize my during race carb intake procedure. The calculator I designed was based off the idea that there is a set rate of carb usage by the body dependent on the %VO2max at which you race. If you know your VO2max, then you can use that speed to assess where your goal falls on the %VO2max spectrum. The higher the %VO2max, the more carbs you’ll burn through instead of fat. I settled on consuming 7 E-Gels during the race (at 37g carbs each). The E-Gels seemed to have everything I was looking for in a during race nutrition option and worked quite well for my all throughout training. By the numbers, the 7 E-Gels were to keep me from hitting the dreaded “glycogen depletion wall”.

I lined up next to the 3:40 pacers. I wasn’t positive of that being my final pace, but I felt like I should memorize those around me since we had a similar goal. This was the birth of my “Pac-Man Theory”. I knew who were my ghosts were now. I’d start slower than them and let them gain a lead. Then slowly but surely, I would chomp chomp chomp to try and catch them. The basis of the theory was that we had similar goals, but most people are notorious fast starters. Which means if they’re running faster than me at the beginning, then I’m probably going the right pace.

The race started out great. I was hitting the paces as desired. An 8:37, 8:30, 8:38 and was feeling great. I hit an 8:51 and re-assured myself, “don’t worry, just hold the effort and things will come back to you”. Just had to let the race happen. Then an 8:29, 8:35, 8:30, 8:23, 8:28, and 8:27. Things were feeling pretty good through mile 10. I had maxed at 16 miles in training. So, my mindset was when I hit mile 10, I was really hitting mile 0. This was merely the beginning of the “long run”. The first 10 miles were the extended warm up. I remembered how the Hansons book explained the concept of cumulative fatigue. Throughout those 10 miles I felt incredibly fresh. So, when I hit mile 10, it was like being at mile 0 of a 16-mile long run day. Now, it was just a matter of repeating those training days. What I didn’t want to do was think the opposite way. Don’t think when I get to mile 16 that I’ve never trained further, thus I’m bound to fail. Swap the mindset. So, at mile 10, I let loose.

An 8:24, 8:16, 8:15, 8:07, 8:02, and then a 7:53! Mile 16 was a 7:53?!?! I was flying. Was this a good thing or a bad thing? Was I setting myself up for failure? Should I slow down? Just keep enjoying the moment. Trust the training. Trust my effort as it still felt very comfortable. However, I could tell I was getting stronger and stronger. An 8:02 and then an 8:08. Alright, now things are starting to settle back into normality. Mile 19 – 7:53… Mile 20 – 7:53… Mile 21 – 7:48… WHAT?!?! I mean this is when I’m supposed to be struggling. Digging deep. But instead I was absolutely crushing it. For someone with a 1:45:47 HM PR, these were under HM pace and closer to 10k pacing. AT MILE 19 to 21?!?!

Then, at mile 20 just as we hit one of the last aid stations, I found them. There was Blinky, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde. My Pac-Man ghosts that I had let loose at the beginning of the race had finally come back to me. Chomp! Chomp! Chomp! As the 3:40 pace group slowed down into the aid station, I sped up and ran right through it. The strategy seemed to be paying off as I was gaining a ton of confidence passing all of these people in the later portions of the race. The race did eventually get more difficult and I wrapped up the race with an 8:16, 8:14, 8:17, 8:28, and 8:27. I crossed the line with the biggest smile on my face. I HAD DONE IT!

Final Time: 3:38:53 (8:18 min/mile average pace)
Overall: 445/2280 (20%)
Division: 56/144 (39%)

Garmin Link

2015 Lakefront Marathon.jpg

Not only did I break 4 hours in the marathon. I SMASHED IT! I CRUSHED IT! I MADE IT MINE! I lowered my PR by 42 minutes. I beat my marathon time from only 5 months earlier by 80 minutes. But it didn’t stop there. I set a 10k PR (by Garmin) of 49:22 and the second half of the marathon was only 13 seconds slower than my HM PR from August 2015 (only 7 weeks earlier). The second half of my marathon was only 13 seconds slower than my half marathon PR. That’s a repeat, but let that sink in… And the August 2015 half marathon was a known short course, so in reality the 1:46 second half of the marathon was much more likely to be my PR. And that stretch during mile 19-21 (7:53, 7:53, and 7:48) was only a few seconds off a 5k PR. An almost 5k PR at mile 19-21 of a marathon. This seriously was the best race experience I had ever had. I was over the moon with the results.

In 2015, there were 509,000 marathon finishers in the US. This means about 102,000 finishers ran the marathon faster than me that year. In addition, about 15,000 males of a similar age were faster. Now, I was finally getting closer to the top. I had moved up by about 290,000 runners from my first marathon. I still had some ground to go to get into the top 2% (sub-3 marathon) or roughly top 10,000 US marathon finishers and top 4% of males of my age which would put only about 1600 US male age equal marathon finishers ahead of me.

When I crossed the line, my wife looked at me and said, “You’re never not going to train like this are you?” I replied, “Nope, this was too much fun!” She agreed. She had noticed how depressed I had gotten after races because I kept coming up short on my goals. I enjoyed the training, but not the disappointment of the racing. But this time was different. This time, I far outperformed my goal. I wanted it. I PROVED IT. I did what was necessary to get it.

So, in the 3 years prior to my reading binge and following a mix between the Hansons Beginner and Advanced training plans, this was my improvement progress.

5k – *35:00 to 23:36 (33% improvement)
10k – 51:45 to 49:49 (4% improvement)
HM – 2:01:00 to 1:49:24 (10% improvement)
M – 4:50:26 to 4:20:34 (10% improvement)

After 18 weeks of Hansons training:

10k – 49:49 to 49:22 (1% improvement)
HM – 1:49:24 to 1:46:00 (3% improvement)
M – 4:20:34 to 3:38:53 (16% improvement)

I had easily surpassed my improvement from 3 years of training for the marathon in a mere 18 weeks. I wasn’t looking back anymore. A weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I had finally cracked the sub-4 marathon and now only one goal remained – Qualify for the Boston Marathon. Because I knew that the progression rate wouldn’t stay consistent, I knew it was going to be a while before I had a chance at a sub-3 marathon (and Qualify for Boston). I drew up a schedule taking me from October 2015 to October 2017. I reasonably believed that if I met certain milestones during the next two years that a sub-3 would be possible. I wanted to hit a 3:15 marathon in October 2016. Then a first attempt at a sub-3 in October 2017.

Hi, my name is DopeyBadger!

Up next was a December HM and Dopey Challenge #3. But before I could get there, I did something daring. Something I wasn’t sure I could ever do. I came out of lurkdom… I had been reading the DISboards message board for years. Ever since the first Dopey Challenge. But after years of reading, I decided I finally had something to share. I had to come up with a user name that identified me. So, I went simple. I like running the Dopey Challenge and I’m a Badger (being a UW-Madison Alum). So, “DopeyBadger” it was. On October 15th, 2015 I posted my first message:

“Hi everyone! After years of just reading (stalking?) I decided to join in. I've completed 6 marathons, 11 half-marathons, and a handful of 5K/10Ks. This January will be my 3rd Dopey (going for Legacy) and I just love the experience of it. I am a big believer in the Hansons Marathon Method after this past marathon where I set a marathon PR by 42 minutes (3:38), a 10K PR (49:22) during miles 17-23, and a half marathon PR (1:46) during the second half of the marathon. By occupation, I am a scientist and feel I may be able to help others enjoy running as much as I do through a combination of my experience and scientific approach to running.

dancingtodisney I use a variety of calculators that I've compiled from different sources (Hansons and Ben Rappoport) to determine carbohydrate, calorie, and liquid consumption. Without trying to be too personal, with your weight (lbs), estimated time goal, and VO2 max I could give you an estimate as to how many calories/carbohydrates you would need to consume during the race. If you don't know your VO2max, you can use the calculator here to get a very rough estimate (http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx) using your age and resting heart rate.

Hansons are a proponent that it takes the body 10 days to receive the benefits from a workout. Thus, doing any hard workouts within 10 days of the marathon won't really help much. Thus, a 50% reduction in total mileage (don't change # of days running though) from peak week during the last week is their recommendation with intensity being on the slower side of most of your training. To account for the "staleness" from reducing intensity and mileage, on the day before the marathon run 2-3 miles with a few 10 sec bursts up to desired marathon pace.

As for carb loading prior to the race, there are three different main methods out there.

1 - 3 day carb depletion followed by a 3 day carb loading
2 - No carb depletion followed by a 3 day carb loading
3 - A 110% (close to all out effort) run for 30 sec on the day before the marathon, followed by a super carb loading throughout the day.

All three of these methods have been shown to increase glycogen storage to higher levels than normal (with a rough correlation to giving an improvement of 1-3% in overall time). There is also some research out there that a glycogen supercompensation can last as many as 5 days. Personally, I don't like the feeling of being so full on marathon day. So for me, 4 days out from the marathon I start a 3 day carb loading cycle that changes the % of carbs as my diet from 60% up to near 85% with mostly protein filling the remaining difference (I generally don't like to increase my overall calorie consumption though). This way the day before the marathon I can revert back to my normal diet, and feel less full for race day.

The key to any advice though is we are all an experiment of one and thus something that may work great for one person might not work well for someone else. We all just have to find our personal sweet spot through trial and error.”

Looking back, this first post pretty much sums me up to a “T”. Introduction about myself, stating that my goal is to help others enjoy the sport of running, explain the science behind a current topic (glycogen supercompensation and tapering methodology). My goal was to bring a new type of discussion to the board. A new angle centered around the current scientific research on running. Beyond personal experiences, what could science teach us about our second favorite topic (behind Disney of course). I didn’t know whether others would accept me or cast me aside. But I figured I’d put myself out there and see whether others would be receptive to my help. And so, it began, a journey that would lead me down a new path. I had recently reinvigorated my love for running. Now I could help others do the same. So, my second post was more of the same as I just dove into helping others:

“So, first according to the calculator a VO2max of 50 is equivalent to a vVO2 of 9.68mph or a 6:20 pace. This means a desired goal of a 3:45 marathon pace (8:35) is 72.2% of your VO2max. Most marathon runners are somewhere between 60%-70% (for you 10:20 min/mile to 8:52 min/mile) but elite runners can take the percentage as high as 85%. So a 3:45 pace is towards the upper end of normal for your current fitness level, although it is definitely doable with good running economy/mechanics.

Over the entirety of the marathon you will burn an estimated 3682.5 kcals. Given your pace is 72.2% VO2max, it is estimated that 2474.6 kcals of the 3682.5 total calories burned will come from glucose. Assuming an average male leg muscle mass of 18.3kg (20% of your body weight), you have 1466.2 calories of glucose stored in your leg muscles. This means without tapping into any other source you will have a deficit of 1008.4 calories of glucose. The average person can take an additional 100 kcals of glucose from the liver without putting the body in danger, thus your final deficit total is 908.4 calories.

This means that either through a carb loading schedule prior to the race, or a nutrition plan during the race you need to consume an extra 908 calories to complete the marathon without hitting the wall at the pace you desire (3:45 marathon) given your current fitness level. This breaks down to 242.3 calories per hour if you decided to only use a nutrition plan during the race.

The other key is total carbohydrates in g weight. Purely based on your weight, you would need to consume between 61.1 and 87.3 carbohydrates per hour to push past the wall if you were to do no carbohydrate loading prior to the race. Research shows the human body limit is around 90g of carbohydrates in good conditions (not too hot or humid). So you're upper limit is on the threshold for the capability of the human body to consume that much without starting to cause GI issues. For every 2 g carbohydrates consumed you need to drink at least one ounce of water. Thus, for the duration of your marathon (3:45), you would need to consume 327.3 g carbohydrates and 163.7 ounces of water. If the conditions are worse (hot/humid), you may need to consume more water. Research has shown that consuming carbohydrates in two different forms increases the body's ability to absorb them. Thus, some combination of any two of glucose, fructose, sucrose, maltodrextin, etc. will allow the body to absorb a slightly higher amount than a single carbohydrate source.

Given all of this information, it would appear you would likely need to do some combination of a carb loading plan prior to the race and carb consumption during the race. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.”

Needless to say, I’ve always been long winded offering very detailed explanations. Over the next few weeks/months I became a regular.

I did something else I’ve never done before after my October 2016 marathon. I intentionally took pre-planned time off. The Hansons book suggested taking 2 weeks off after the race to help induce recovery. It was actually quite refreshing on so many levels to take time off. I had more family time and it reinvigorated my desire to get out there and train. I actually missed all of the hard training and it made me appreciate it even more.

After two weeks off, I had 11 weeks until Dopey #3. I made a custom abbreviated “Intermediate” Hansons marathon plan. I used their concepts again, but molded it to fit my custom needs.

In the midst of training for my own Dopey #3, I started another new adventure in November 2015. Other members of the DISboards started reaching out to me or accepting my help on writing custom training plans. I used a combination of my love of science, helping others, teaching, math, excel, and running to create training plans based around other people’s current fitness, injury history, goals, motivation, and time available to train. It felt so fulfilling. For years, I had enjoyed writing my own training plans. Customizing them to fit my needs. But since a training cycle usually lasted 12-18 weeks, there was a significant gap of time in which I wasn’t writing anything for myself. It always felt hollow and without true satisfaction because it was so short lived. So, it felt nice to find others interested in following my ideas, especially strangers. They would devote their time to following my ideas, so I better get it right.

The basis of those training plans was the same as the basis for my training. However, I converted everything into duration custom to that person’s current fitness. So, regardless of training for a half marathon or marathon, runners would max out at 150 minutes of training in a single bout at marathon pace + 40-60 seconds. For some people, that was a 20-mile long run, for others a 14-mile long run, and even less for others. The idea was that the body perceives the relative pace at which one trains at as well as the amount of time spent at that relative pace. That means that the two key factors were pace x duration. Now when those individual items are combined, you’d get the mileage necessary to carry out the training. With that basis, and a slew of other “rules” I started writing custom training plans for other people.

Things proceeded as normal with my own training. On December 6th, 2015 it was time for another race. A half marathon known as the Last Call. I had run the same race the year before in 1:53 (a PR at the time). I was interested to see how I would perform relative to last year. How would the Hansons training pay off for a half marathon after completing a whole cycle and being in the midst of another one. It was a cold cold morning (30s-40s). I remember wearing a long sleeve and shorts. A few middle age guys came by and commented on my choice of shorts. They seemed to think it was a bad idea. We’ll see I guess, as I tend to run hot.

I also decided to bring a new addition to my racing repertoire. For the last 3 years, I had been using some version of a Nathan’s water bottle belt. Initially with two bottles, and then eventually three bottles. But the belt had been giving me a lot of grief. Sometimes the bottles would come flying out during a run. The belt was generally heavy (carrying as much as 30 oz of water around my waist). The bottles also occasionally leaked all over me from behind. So, I invested in a small Nathan’s handheld water bottle with a pouch. I wanted to test this much smaller and lighter option out in anticipation for Dopey. Could I have enough access to water during a race that I could get away with just a single 10oz bottle that I would refill throughout? I had generally refilled the 3x 10oz bottles, but would one single bottle be enough for a marathon? And could I really tell the difference from the weight loss when running?

The race was an out and back, so the strategy was to be conservative through the first half, and then just race as hard as I could through the back half. My half PR from August 2015 was a 1:45 (8:05 min/mile) so I tried to stay close to that in the beginning. I ran the first half in 52:03 (7:56 min/mile).

I was still feeling strong so I decided to open up the legs and see what I could do. A 7:31, 7:08, and then a 6:53?!?!?! LIKE WHAT THE WHAT?!?! I had never run a mile under 7 minutes. Now here at mile 9 of a half marathon was a sub-7-minute mile. But it wasn’t any sub-7-minute mile. It was nearly the necessary pace for a sub-3 marathon (6:52 min/mile). Now granted it was necessary to run 26.2 miles at 6:52 to hit the sub-3, but a single mile was achieved in a race. The pace actually felt somewhat sustainable at the time. It’s possible, I thought to myself. I may actually run a sub-3 someday and qualify for the Boston Marathon!

I finished up the race on a bit of a slow-down (not terribly surprising when you bust out a mile WAY past goal pace). I finished the race in 1:38:49. A new PR by almost 7 minutes in roughly 4 months-time. An improvement of 7%! That’s a huge jump in PR times. But setting a half marathon PR wasn’t the end, it was merely the beginning of another record setting day:

1K - 4:09
1 mile - 6:52
5K - 22:03
10K - 44:36
Half - 1:38:47

Garmin Link

All unofficial PRs set during the Last Call half marathon in 2015. There was little doubt left in my mind that the training I was putting in was seriously paying off.

2015 Last Call.jpg

After 27 weeks of Hansons training:

5k – 23:36 to 22:03 (7% improvement)
10k – 49:49 to 44:36 (10% improvement)
HM – 1:49:24 to 1:38:47 (10% improvement)
M – 4:20:34 to 3:38:53 (16% improvement)

To be fair, the 5k and 10k improvements were based on Garmin GPS data, but they were probably pretty close to real (unofficial nonetheless).

As 2015 closed, it was time to see whether I had hit my goal of 1,250 miles.

Distance – 1,915 miles
Duration – 301:42:55
Average Pace – 9:27 min/mile
Average Miles per week – 36.8 miles
Average Duration per week – 5:48
Elevation – 52,331 feet
Average HR – 147 bpm
# of Training Plans Written – 6 (3 for myself, 1 for mom, 2 for DIS)

The Hansons training the second half of the year catapulted me way beyond the 1,250 miles goal for 2015. The goal set for 2016. Run the year! I was going to attempt to run 2,016 miles in 2016.

As the calendar turned to January, it was time to tackle the Disney Dopey Challenge again. This would be my 3rd attempt. The goal going into the race was a top 500 finish, beat the bib, and another attempt at the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge (set a PR in all of the 4 distances (5k, 10k, HM, and M) and 2 cumulative challenges (HM+M and 5k+10k+HM+M)).

This was our first time staying at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge. I knew Monday (the day we flew in) would be an off day for me for running. When Tuesday rolled around I had 5 miles at an easy pace scheduled. I got all my stuff on and headed out the door. I started to look around for a good path and came to realize there really wasn't anywhere good for me to do some outside running. I headed back inside frustrated but convinced myself that after two consecutive months of 230+ miles a couple more off days (Tuesday/Wednesday) wouldn't ruin my race efforts.

Wednesday - Expo day
The expo went as expected. I feel this being my 3rd Dopey I've kind of got the routine down and it was easy to pick up the packet and check out the race merchandise. I wasn't too caught up in any of the Dopey merchandise so I was content with the magnet and I did it shirt.

Thursday - 5K day
I tried to do a little extra warm-up before the 5K but without losing my place at the front of the corral. I waited until 1 hour before the race was to start and then started my warm-up routine. Got in a few minutes of a slow jog and then headed back into my position at the front. Had a fun conversation with a few other runners (Georgette). Right before the gun went off they let some lady in at the front of the corral, and I was like ugh not cool. Who does she think she is that she can just cut us all like that? Then I realized who she was, it was Paula Radcliff. As in women's marathon world record holder Paula Radcliff. Yea, pretty cool. I was really happy to leave her in my dust (I'll leave out the part about her running with her little girl, LOL!). I did have a few new pains crop up that had me worried. It just didn't feel right. Overall, I was thrilled with my performance. I went in hoping for a 23:00 min 5K, and finished in 21:49. A new PR and a successful start to the Sextuple PR attempt. Part of my philosophy on running is to not pay attention to my time during the run. Start the Garmin and then run by effort. This method had served me well the last couple of races and helps alleviate my self-doubt.

Garmin Link

Friday - 10K day and Kids Race day
Boo rain! I preplanned by having two garbage bags while waiting in the corral. One I wore over my torso. But the other I placed around my feet as to keep my shoes dry. It worked quite well because before the start of the race my feet/shoes were still dry. Struck up conversation with another Dopey challenger in corral A, Brad. I didn't see Paula get led to the beginning of the line so I figured she was somewhere else in corral A. At about 1 mile into the race, a blur ran by. Ahh, there's Paula. Her running form was magnificent and looked effortless. I was happy with my performance. I almost bit the dust on the boardwalk from running too quickly around a curve. My goal was 47:00 and I ran a 44:57. Another official PR and I was 2/2 heading into the half marathon. Thankfully, those odd pains from the 5K never reappeared.

Garmin Link

My daughter, Gigi, was running the 100 meter dash. We had been working on running all year after her 3 meter diaper dash last year. All year she seemed really excited to run. But the terrible rain sucked all the fun out of the race. It was raining so much I think she didn't really enjoy it. She finished in 1:25 seconds.

Garmin Link

2016 Dopey G race.jpg

Saturday - Half day
I was feeling good and strong. My wife and mother were running the half as well. I was happy to be able to run out of corral C this year. Less people in front of me means, more open roads. Thankfully, the roads were almost never congested and I was able to run a nice clean race. I crossed the finish line in 1:43:09, my goal was a 1:44. About 5 minutes off my HM PR from a few weeks earlier and thus the end of my Sextuple PR goal. I waited around for my wife and mother to finish. I was also attempting a new carb loading procedure, the Western Australian Protocol. My goal was to consume 8g carbs per kg body weight or roughly 600 g carbs with 500 g carbs in liquid form. I generally use e-gel gels during my runs/races, so I decided to use the e-fuel powder for the liquid carb loading. It went well. After my 27th 8oz bottle of carb drink I was about done with it. It started to make me feel sick drinking that much liquid and I kept thinking this better be worth it.

Garmin Link

Sunday - Marathon day
All month leading up to the marathon, the big question was what will the weather be like. At no point, did it look like based on the weather forecast we would have 65/68 and near 100% humidity but that's what we got. Oh well. I felt really sore the morning of the marathon, but maybe less sore than the past two years. I went into the run with the same plan, just let my body do what it wants. I had planned on running the race faster, but since Jeff Galloway mentioned the warmer than expected temps I throttled the pace goal down a touch. I thought I’d be around a 3:55-4:00 marathon. I had done some Heat Acclimation Training at the tail end of the Dopey training and was hopeful that it would pay off. I ran the first couple miles easy and was settling into a nice pace. I knew based on my goal (sub 7 hr Dopey) and my previous three race times, I needed a 4:09 in the marathon. I started to get stronger around mile 10 and put in some strong miles (as low as 8:10). However, around mile 19 I was starting to feel the fatigue of the other days. My pace started to slip, but I decided to just ignore it and keep letting my effort dictate my pace. As long as I didn't start walking I knew I should finish below 4:09 and get that sub-7. I crossed the line in 3:55:35 and started crying. Months of hard work paid off and I finished Dopey 2016 in 6:45:30. I came in 160th place out of 6323 finishers and beat the bib # of 20497 (or 497 better POT runners). I was very happy with this performance.

5k – 21:49 (new PR)
10k – 44:57 (new PR)
HM – 1:43:09 (missed PR by 5 min)
M – 3:55:35 (missed PR by 17 min)
Dopey – 6:45:30 (new PR)
Beat the bib – 160th vs Bib # 497

Garmin Link

2016 Dopey.jpg

Two years prior when I ran Dopey #1 (in 2014) two of the goals were a sub-4 Dopey marathon and a cumulative finishing time of 7 hours or less. I had finally met both of those goals in the 2016 race (3:55 marathon and 6:45:30 cumulative). But the Sextuple PR still alluded me.

Now that Dopey was over, I took 2 weeks off from running and got back into family mode. Two weeks later, I would start training again using the Hansons method for my May marathon (a re-do of the same marathon that gave me my worst finish 4:58). My true focus for 2016 though was Chicago. I ran Milwaukee Lakefront in 2015 and planned on Chicago in 2016 with the hope to choose whichever course I like better for my first BQ attempt in Fall 2017. Based on an improvement of about 5-10% every 18-week training cycle I should be around a 3:00 marathon in Fall 2017. I felt I might plateau before that, but I was feeling more confident that it might be possible.

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

After Dopey 2016, it felt like the next progressive step in my journey was to start chronically it on a daily/weekly basis. I felt as if I shared my story, my progression and what I learned in the past and at the moment could be helpful to others. The DISboards had individual threads about running which I had actively participated in for the last several months. But, now I decided to start a “training journal” that would be about me and my journey.

“My hope is that my journal can serve as an inspiration to others and to show you the pathway to how I've gotten to where I am. And going into the future what I'm trying to do to become the best runner I can become.”

It was nice to have a place that I could talk running with other runners who were genuinely interested in how things were going for me.

I had made a lot of progress on the physical side of running, but I was still looking for answers on the mental side. Tim Noake’s “Central Governor Model” was good, but I didn’t feel it fit with my ideas. That’s when I ran across Samuele Marcora’s “Psychobiological Model of Endurance”. The Psychobiological model is an effort-based decision model based on motivational intensity theory. The model states there are five factors that primarily determine regulation of pacing.

1) Perception of effort
2) Potential motivation
3) Knowledge of distance/time to cover
4) Knowledge of distance/time remaining
5) Previous experience/memory of perception of effort during exercise of varying intensity and duration

The potential motivation is defined, as the maximum effort a person is willing to exert to meet a certain task. The motivational intensity is the amount of effort that people actually expend to meet that task. The combination of these two ideas into the Motivational Intensity Theory creates the framework for why an individual will continue in a task: either the level of potential motivation hasn’t been reached or the task is still viewed as possible. A person will disengage from the task when either the perception of effort outweighs the potential motivation or the person believes they are physically unable to maintain the task (believed to maxed effort).

This description of a mental model for endurance performance seem to fit what I had experienced in real life, especially in the 2015 Wisconsin Marathon. During that race, I had a goal of a sub-4 marathon. But as the race progressed and my pace started to slip, I became discouraged that I wouldn’t hit my goal. I lost motivation in running and then suddenly the task (or perception of effort) became significantly harder. My body wasn’t actually giving up on me, but I wasn’t willing to put any effort into the run since the motivation was gone.

After that race, I had decided to try running blind. I believe in running by effort and thus ignoring how you’ve been performing. I feel like in the past I have been overly negative during running when a mile split comes in at an unexpected slower pace. In this negative-loop this caused me to start thinking about alternative finishing times. Then my goals would start to slip away and my motivation waned. Without my motivation, my perception of effort increases and makes everything feel harder than it would have been. As you can see I feel these are all connected in a cascade of events. To combat this, I ignore how I’ve been doing and just keep positive thoughts telling myself that I’m crushing it.

I researched other methods of masking perception of effort since it was the basis of the model. I found that self-selected music, caffeine, and positive self-talk also all had the ability to alter perception of effort. I was already using self-selected music at a high-beats per minute. I had yet to try caffeine. Something I could definitely try to add to my routine was more positive self-talk. For every negative thought about the race, I tried to trump it with many times over positive thoughts and ideas.

I felt like all of the additional mental research I had read would give me an edge during training and racing. I learned that my thoughts during events mattered. So, I did my best going forward to stay positive and really lock in to my motivation for running and racing.

Now that Dopey was finished, it was time to move my focus to the 2016 Wisconsin Marathon. This would be my second attempt at this race, with the 2015 edition being my watershed moment. After the race was over in 2015, I had vowed to return. I took my 2 weeks off after Dopey and buckled down with trying to gain the necessary endurance for a sub-3.

2016 Wisconsin Marathon: Training Plan
2016 Wisconsin Marathon: Diet

I had 15 weeks of time between time off and the Wisconsin Marathon. I essentially recycled the Hansons plan from the last two training cycles (Lakefront 2015 and Dopey 2016) but with current fitness pacing (based on my December HM PR). Unlike the previous year, I decided to greatly reduce the number of races during this cycle. I went from 2 HMs right before the 2015 Wisconsin Marathon to no other races prior to the 2016 Wisconsin Marathon.

I had another health check-up in February 2016. I weighed 171 pounds (165 per Garmin), had a BMI of 23.2, resting HR of 60, cholesterol of 174, HDL of 69, cholesterol ratio of 2.5, Glucose of 87, and blood pressure of 106/64. I had come a long way since those health check-ups from 2008-2012. By March 2016, my weight had dropped to 158 pounds.

In May, I got really sick three weeks before the race and dropped to my lowest weight of 155 pounds. This marked the point that I had lost 100 pounds. However, this wasn’t a successful moment. I felt like this was too low for me. As soon as I got over the sickness, I tried to put some weight back on.

Training went as expected and before I knew it, it was time for the Wisconsin Marathon again.

2016 Wisconsin Marathon: Training Summary

Total weeks – 15 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 12 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks mileage – 662.5 miles
Average # of miles during non-recovery weeks – 55.2 miles
Total non-recovery weeks duration – 97:28:42
Average duration during non-recovery weeks – 8:07:23
# of weeks above 70% intervals hit (including easy) – 12/15 weeks (80% of weeks)
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 8/12 (75%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 3/12 (25%)
# of runs at 120 minutes – 1
# of runs over 120 minutes - 4
Week at which peak was hit – Week 7 and 12
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 7:52 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:55 min/mile

A completely different experience a year later. In 2015, I was on the verge of a DNF (not because of injury, but just because I was going to fall short of my goals). It was the race that pushed me to make changes. It was the push I needed to make another step in the right direction. I had trained for a 3:26 marathon, so I was interested to see how close I would get. I thought my fitness was around a 3:18 entering the race.

2016 Wisconsin Marathon: Race Recap

I continued to use my completely blind running method. So, I had no idea what my pace was during the entire run. This race was a real test of this because of a massive headwind from mile 19-26. Things felt like they were going great up to mile 19, but that headwind was brutal. It absolutely crushed me and I was confident that my pace was slipping tremendously.

“Mile 20 - 8:13 (3:18:58)
This was the literal turning point of the race. We literally turned North. We literally came face to face with 30 mph winds. And we could literally only smile at the grand difficulty of the run. The real key was that now there was no large group. There was barely anyone around to try and tag on to. I did my best, but everyone I encountered was going way slower than I wanted to go. I tried my best to maintain the same effort, but was convinced my pace had dropped significantly. I saw Endurance House and Military Man going towards the turn and they weren't too far behind me.

Mile 21 - 8:29 (3:20:05)
Felt the pace continue to drop. My estimate was I was doing a 10-12 min mile. It just felt so difficult. That dang wind! Military Man came up behind me. He was going faster, so I quickly latched on. It was helping having him break the wind, but after about 0.5 miles it was clear his intended pace and effort was more than I could give. He broke away from me and was not seen again on the race course. At this point, him and two other people were the only ones to pass me in the next few miles. I can live with that. Why? Because that means I wasn't falling behind and was at least holding my position with peers of similar paces at this point in the race.

Mile 22 - 8:40 (3:21:18)
The effort was still there, but I could tell I didn't have another gear. It felt like the race was slipping away. I kept positive and kept telling myself to power through the wind as best as I could.

Mile 23 - 8:51 (3:22:38)
I could feel the end was near. I was only 4 miles from the finish. I just kept reminding myself to push as hard as I could. But that darn wind was just pushing harder and harder. The times when I passed the beaches didn't help with all of the sand in my face. I decided to risk it and use the last gel. I again did a half dose being cognizant of trying to stave off another side stitch.

Mile 24 - 8:47 (3:23:48)
Everyone was yelling "Just 3 miles". That's all that's left. Down the stretch I was able to pass a few people. Still feeling strong and still feeling like I was giving my max effort. I was still convinced that may pace was easily in the 11-12 min mile range. I felt like I was barely moving because of the darn wind.

Mile 25 - 9:10 (3:25:15)
Well hello there. A few people came up on me and tried to pass. I dug deep and tried to stave them off. Then, we rounded a corner to a bare no trees, no houses stretch and POW the wind was RIDICULOUS! I literally felt like I wasn't going anywhere. There was a camera man there so it will be really interesting to see that picture... The people trying to pass me all tucked behind me at this point. Looks like I was the leader, and I spent a lot of energy breaking the wind. As we rounded out of the wind, the group broke off from me and left me behind. I could tell I was starting to run on fumes.

Mile 26 - 9:16 (3:26:43)
As I came to the Mile 25 marker I decided it was FINALLY time to break the blind. I was nervous. I was expecting to see a 11-12 min/mile. I was expecting to see a 3:45-4:00 time on the watch. I could tell my pace had slipped because of the wind from Mile 19-now and I was letting everything slip away. WAIT, WHAT?!?!?!?! A 9:10 mile split and a current time of 3:15!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME?!?!!?! So I haven't been running 11-12 min/miles. I'm not running around a 3:45-4:00. I was in complete SHOCK! At about 25.5 miles there was a group of cheer'ers and man were they uplifting! They were loud! They were fun! It was an extreme buildup. I knew if I could maintain pace I would finish just under 3:30 (my watch was a little off the mile markers). All I had to do was keep pushing.”

“A 3:28:35. I didn't push the same as I did for last year's 3:38 or last year's half 1:38. It wasn't the same rushed feeling in the final stretch. Yet, here I sit with a 10 minute PR for the marathon distance. But even more important was a 90 MINUTE improvement over last year's time. Let that sink in. I CUT 1.5 HOURS OFF MY TIME FROM LAST YEAR IN THE SAME EVENT. AND I DID THAT WITH A CRAZY HEADWIND. SHOCKED! Just SHOCKED!”

I was super happy with the results. Yea, I didn't hit my 3:26 that I trained for. But, endurance running is an outdoor sport. You have to deal with the conditions like every other athlete out there on the course. I felt like I could run a 3:18. Well low and behold at Mile 19 I was on pace for a 3:18:07. I strongly believe if there wasn't a head wind for the last 7 miles I would have been able to hold pace or even increase it. I was feeling good at that point. It wasn't the "Wall" unless you want to call the wind "THE WALL" then I'd agree with you.

Final Time: 3:28:35
Overall: 73/673 (11%)
Division: 16/61 (26%)

Strava Link

2016 WI Marathon.jpg

In 2016, there were 507,600 US marathon finishers. This means about 55,000 finishers ran the marathon faster than me from that race’s time. In addition, about 10,000 males of a similar age were faster. Now, I was finally getting closer to the top. From 2012, I had moved up by about 340,000 runners from my first marathon. I still had some ground to go to get into the top 2% (sub-3 marathon) or roughly top 10,000 US marathon finishers and top 4% of males of my age which would put only about 1600 US male age equal marathon finishers ahead of me.

Time to take training to the MAX!

2016 Lakefront Marathon: Training Plan
2016 Lakefront Marathon: Diet

After another two weeks off, I had 19 weeks of training before the 2016 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. I was hitting the marks on where I wanted to be. Fall 2015 was a sub 4. Then Spring 2016 was a sub 3:30. Next, in Fall 2016 was a sub 3:15. If I could hit the sub 3:15 at the 2016 Lakefront Marathon, then I would still be on track for a sub 3:00 marathon in Fall 2017.

I decided to be really aggressive with this training cycle. My hope was to push the training to the max. I had gone through three Hansons-like training cycles. I never felt they were overly difficult. So, I wondered if I could give a little more in training. I had decided to move all of my easy runs from 60 minutes in duration to 90 minutes in duration. I had evaluated the training plan (Luke Humphrey’s) at the end of the Hansons book and determined that he was doing multiple 90 minute runs at easy pacing throughout the week. So, I attempted to emulate his training but based on my current fitness.

Nutritionally, the only big change was to a healthier lunch meat sandwich at lunch. I went from the pre-packed Costco turkey to using shredded chicken cooked in a crock pot. It was likely healthier and cost about 1/3 of the price.

Now roughly four years after losing the weight and getting down into a more fit athletic shape, I was dealing with a different problem. Before, people wouldn’t tell me I had a problem with my weight being too high. Now, people would be all too willing to tell me I had lost too much weight. I was a “ghost” or “paper thin” or “disappearing”. It was so frustrating. It felt like people weren’t willing to tell me when my weight was an issue because I was fat, but when I hit a normal body weight then people started telling me I was too skinny. As a 6-foot male with a small-medium body frame my ideal weight is between 149-170 pounds. I’ve never been as low as 149 and am usually between 155-165. So, it’s frustrating to finally be at the right weight and yet others like to chime in on my lack of weight.

I decided to run one other race during this training cycle. A local 10k that was relatively early into the training.

2016 Hot2Trot 10k: Race Recap

It was a really fun race. I finally got a “real” race experience in that I was actively jockeying for position in the race with other runners. I ended up getting passed in the last couple meters of the race. I ended up getting a new PR (44:31) and finished in 6th overall with 3rd in my age group. But I quickly realized that the person who passed me in the last couple meters wasn’t listed in the race results. So, I approached the other runner and informed him of the situation. He informed me he was in my division (and I recognized him from photos from the year prior). So, I let him know he beat me fair and square. Thus, when they gave me the 3rd place trophy, I passed it on to him in a show of sportsmanship.

Strava Link

2016 Hot2Trot.jpg

2016 Lakefront Marathon: Training Summary

I put together one of the most aggressive training plans I had ever conceived. I wasn't positive whether I was going to be able to do it. But I was interested to see what would happen when I pushed myself to the max. Overall, a very successful training cycle. I hit on 99.1% of the scheduled mileage and 67.3% of intervals were within either 5 seconds or 10 seconds depending on the workout. The intervals within window were a bit down from the winter/spring cycle mostly because the heat/humidity was intense this summer. In addition, I did have some issues with “jelly legs”. I had trained to the max. I entered race day at 156 pounds. So now it was time to reap the fruits of my labor.

Total weeks – 20 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 17 weeks
Total scheduled mileage = 1110.2 miles
Total mileage completed = 1100.5 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 99.1%
Total scheduled duration = 159:22:25 hours
Total duration completed = 158:05:00 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 99.2%
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 62.1 miles
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 8:54 hours
Peak week mileage = 71.1 miles (9/5/16-9/11/16)
Peak week duration = 10:08 hours (9/5/16-9/11/16)
Peak month mileage = 289.4 miles (July 2016)
Peak month duration = 41:43:03 hours
Total Elevation Gain = 34,300 ft
Elevation of Mount Everest = 29,029 ft
Number of intervals within pace = 657/976 (67.3%)
# of weeks above 70% intervals hit (including easy) – 9/19 weeks (47%)
# of weeks above 70% intervals hit (including easy) at the end of the cycle – 1/7 weeks (14%)
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 14/17 (82%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 9/17 (53%)
# of runs at 120 minutes – 0
# of runs over 120 minutes - 6
Week at which peak was hit – Week 11
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 7:33 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:44 min/mile
Number of workouts scheduled = 115
Number of workouts missed = 1
Number of workouts I didn't want to do = 0

2016 Lakefront Marathon: Race Recap

This was my 9th marathon and 2nd time competing in the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. When I ran this race in 2015, it was my first time using Hansons and my goal was to break 4 hours. I ended up having one of the best racing experiences of my life and re-invigorated my love for endurance running. I ended up running a 3:38 with a new HM PR and new 10K PR. I went into this 2016 training plan with the most aggressive plan I had ever made and was attempting to recapture the magic.

A tough, tough, tough run. At the start of the race, I never imagined the run would be that tough. I didn't think it would be my left leg and breathing that would be my limiting factors. Just no good indications during all of training that either of these things would crop up. But that's just it. It's endurance running. After you run for so long eventually something will fail. It's how you deal with it that defines the run. The goal with every race I do is to do my best on that day. On that day my best was 3:23:43. The next day it could have been 3:17. The day prior it could have been 3:09. A day later maybe 3:45. That's the joy of endurance running. You can train your butt off and something can throw it off. That's ok!

Official Time - 3:23:43 (7:46 min/mile)
Overall Finish Place - 195/2663 (7.3 %)
Overall Gender Place - 165/1316 (12.5%)
Overall Division Place - 31/157 (19.7%)

Strava Link

2016 Lakefront.jpg

In 2016, there were 507,600 US marathon finishers. This means about 35,000 finishers ran the marathon faster than me from that race’s time. In addition, about 7,500 males of a similar age were faster. I didn’t chip a ton of runners off, but I did take a serious step towards the top 2%.

But something was seriously wrong with my leg. I had never suffered a significant injury (or much of any injury) during any of the previous 4 years of training. But as I wrote in the recap:

“And then it happened. As soon as I crossed the line I was overcome with pain! AHHHH! I waddled my way through the finisher's area. Got my medal. Got some food. Found my family. Gigi ran up and said "DADDY!"
cid:clip_image001.gif

And then limped over to the runner's tent. Sat in a chair and just zoned out. Drank two chocolate milks, and then tried to stand up. Nope... Nope, Nope, Nope... I did my best to do a few stretches, but it was clear it wasn't happening. Tried to go down to the ground but I just couldn't do it. I decided just to fall on the grass and hope for the best. Got some stretches in on the ground and seemed better. Decided to take a few pics with the family!

Said to the family time to make the SLOW saunter to the parked car. I was having trouble keeping up with the family and just kept slowly limping along. Then it went from bad to worse! My left leg was finally ready to call it quits. I would take a few steps and then stop and bend over in pain. Then a few steps and more pain. It took me about 15 minutes to walk 100-200m. Eventually a spectator asked me if they could help me and around this time my wife noticed I was no longer with them and came back to help. She got under my arm and we limped back to the car together.

It was apparent my leg was in rough shape. Every bump (on the road home) was a pain. I couldn't even move it without it an immense sense of pain. Finally made it back home and my wife and I thought more group limping was the best strategy. As soon as my left foot hit the ground I was like AHHHH I can't put weight on it. Ouch! We made it to the stairs and decided crawling up the stairs was the best strategy. Slowly but surely I made it. Then I laid there in the living room... What to do? We decided to blow up the air mattress in the living room and just to prop my leg up with ice and compression. Hopefully, I can rest this.”

2016 Lakefront 3.jpg

It was time to spend the next two weeks recovering from this race. Although, I had no idea if it would require more than 2 weeks to recover based on the extent of what was wrong with my left leg. The thought had crossed my mind that I caused a significant injury and might be forced to taken an extended period of time off.

Just a few days after the race, the pain had gone down but not nearly enough.

Sunday after the race it was no walking without assistance, then about 10 hours later it was walking without assistance but in pain, then Monday it was walking with some pain, and then today has been walking with some pain but not as bad as yesterday.

It was time to schedule an x-ray to determine what the diagnosis was. I had a feeling it might be a stress fracture, but I was looking for confirmation. I got an unexpected answer:

Well it's unconfirmed. They couldn't see a fracture, but they aren't willing to rule out that it exists. They did see some cloudiness suggesting a prior healed injury in the same area but I'm personally unaware of any other injuries there. The doctor gave me no timeframe for recovery only to say that I could start running when it was pain free and if it became painful to stop running and continue to rest. So, a waiting game.

Then the radiologist got back to me:

Well the good news is the radiologist also believes from reviewing the x-ray that there is no stress fracture (or at best unconfirmed). But unfortunately, the radiologist doesn't like the cloudiness on the x-ray near the area of the pain. They've decided to send me in for a MRI (not yet scheduled) to more accurately determine what the cloudiness is. It could be an x-ray image distortion, previous injury, calcium deposits, bone spurs, osteosarcoma (bone cancer), or a bone tumor (benign or malignant). It's too early to say anything, but I guess we'll take a wait and see approach. Guess the injury could end up being a blessing in disguise.

The unnerving part was the MRI took FOREVER to schedule… So, while waiting for that to be scheduled I moved ahead with writing the 2017 Dopey Challenge Training Plan. I wasn’t sure if it would be used, but since I was feeling better I was hopeful.

2017 Dopey Challenge: Training Plan

The goal was to get to Dopey healthy and let whatever happens happens. I made some changes to my training strategy for this race and was hopeful that the changes would allow me to have a better race day experience.

After a few weeks of training without pain, I finally had my MRI (almost 4.5 weeks after the race).

Results are in..... NORMAL!

"The bone marrow is normal in signal intensity without cortical thickening nor periosteal edema or enhancement. No osteochondroma or fracture. The muscles are normal in position, the bulk, and signal intensity. No soft tissue mass or cyst."

So this is definitely good news and a relief. But it's also quite baffling. If it's normal, then why can I feel a distortion in my leg?
cid:clip_image002.gif
Any who, the doctor says that if it causes any issues with running in the future to consult with a sports medicine doctor to see if there is something they can help me with. At this time, since I haven't had much of any pain (total 30 seconds in 13 runs/ 83 miles), I guess I'll just continue to play it safe and see what happens.

It was such a relief to be “normal” according to their definition. It was a really stressful few weeks for me and my family. Obviously, we were very worried about the future. So, a large weight was lifted off our collective shoulders.

Training went really well for Dopey #4. I moved from the training paces I set in the beginning to an “effort” based model since I had no idea where my current fitness was. I set a new mile PR of 6:38 during this training cycle. Then I wrapped up the training with some Heat Acclimation Training to try and simulate the weather in Florida. I had successfully used this strategy during the previous Dopey training cycle and was hopeful to see similar success.

2017 Dopey Challenge: Training Summary

Total weeks – 12 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 10 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks mileage – 564.1 miles
Average # of miles during non-recovery weeks – 56.4 miles
Total non-recovery weeks duration – 73:23:09
Average duration during non-recovery weeks – 7:20:19
# of weeks above 70% intervals hit (including easy) – 11/12 weeks (92%)
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 3/10 (30%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 2/10 (20%)
# of runs over 120 minutes - 3
# of runs at 150 minutes (max duration) – 1
Week at which peak was hit – Week 10
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 7:33 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:27 min/mile

This was a more concerted effort on my part to listen to my body. Include more down weeks to recover from a possible bone injury. Do more varied running and sides of the road to correct a potential hip strength issue which was leading to jelly legs. Listen to my effort more than my pace because in the beginning I was slower and in the end I was faster, but the effort always remained the same. And listening to the weather and when it cooperates then I go go go, and when it doesn't better safe than sorry.

The goal for the 2017 Dopey Challenge has been ever changing. In the beginning of this training cycle, it was to run it at all. I wasn't sure whether my body would allow me to after the injury and inability to walk following the October Lakefront Marathon. Then, as the training plan progressed and I was blessed with a good MRI report, I became stronger and more confident in my capabilities. So much so that it has put me in the position to attempt the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge. The plan is simple. PR all 6 distances (5k, 10k, HM, M, Goofy (HM + M), and Dopey (5k + 10k + HM +M)) as non-first attempts at each of these distances. So, I count myself as very lucky to go from "run it at all" to a plan of "PR all distances". I do not take it for granted.

Before I got to the Dopey Challenge, it was time to turn the calendar once again from 2016 to 2017. The goal was to run the year in mileage – 2,016 miles.

Completed/Scheduled (%)
Distance – 2,500.16 miles/ 2608.80 miles (95.8%)
Duration – 361:20:31/ 370:17:50 (97.2%)
Average Pace – 8:38 min/mile
Average Miles per week – 48.1
Average Duration per week – 6:56:56
Elevation – 75,876 feet (Everest is 29,029 feet at its peak)
Average HR - 137 bpm (for reference, my marathon HR is 152 and my 5k HR is 168)
Average Distance per running day - 8.9 miles
Average Duration per running day - 1:17:11
# of Training Plans Written – 27 (3 for me and 24 for others)

2017 was to be an interesting year. 2016 was a testing year to see what did and didn't work. I was biding time until the fitness was where it needed to be. But 2017 was different, 2017 was game-time! I may not hit the goal this year, but I've always said that 2017 would be my 1st attempt at a sub-3 and I'm sticking to that.

2017 Dopey Challenge: 5k Race Report

Little bit of course congestion and caution held me back a little, but overall, I can’t complain. The run was very solid. The weather was very cooperative with a Temperature + Dew point (T+D) of 113. I think not lining up right on the start line cost me a little, but it was good to see a solid time throughout. Maybe about 20 seconds better is the best I could have expected though if toeing the line.

Official PRs: 1
5k – 21:02

Unofficial PRs: 4
400m - 1:31
1k - 4:00
1 mile - 6:26
2 mile - 13:08

Strava Link

2017 Dopey.jpg

2017 Dopey Challenge: 10k Race Report

The run was very solid. The weather was very cooperative with a T+D of 100 (near perfect conditions). I think not lining up right on the start line cost me a lot in this race, but it was good to see a solid time throughout. The question is there was a definite fade at the back end of the race, so did the slow first mile allow the time to be the best it could be. It’s hard to say one way or the other. Best guess is the slow start probably cost me at least a few seconds, but not close to the 40:31 I projected. I wouldn’t have Age Group awarded anyways because there were some seriously fast runners in my division.

10k – 43:25

Unofficial PRs: 0

Overall Standing: 104th
Gender Standing: 95th
Division Standing: 14th
Number of Finishers: 11292

Strava Link

2017 Dopey 2.jpg

2017 Dopey Challenge: Gigi Race Report

Gigi had a lot of fun with her race this year. It was her third runDisney Kid’s race and it was finally not cold or raining! Before the race she did some warmup sprints. She put body glide on her toes. And then she did the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. We got called up to the starting line and then she got down on her hands and knees. She was getting into a sprinter’s stance. We had watched a ton of youtube track videos and the Olympics. So she was emulating all the sprinters we had watched. It was hilarious!

G got off to a solid start. For the first 50m or so she really seemed into it, as she was ahead of both Steph and I. Then around 50m, she turned around and started to say “Can I hold you mommy?” and Steph sprinted past her to coax her into catching her. Then, G kept going and was trying to catch mom. Around 75m she started to lose interest again and then she saw Chip/Dale (can’t remember which) and I said look G, Go slap hands. And she sprinted hard into the finish line.

Finish time – 0:57.6

Strava Link

2017 Dopey 3.jpg

2017 Dopey Challenge: Half Marathon Non-Race Report (Cancelled due to weather)

I just so happened to see a blurb right before heading to bed at 6:15pm that there would be a weather update at 7pm. So, I decided that if I was awake at 7, I’d look. Otherwise, I wouldn’t worry about it until the morning. I just so happened to wake up, checked my watch, and saw it was 7. So, I jumped on the DIS and watched in shock as the news started to trickle in. First someone posted a “Delayed” sign from a hotel lobby. Then a “Cancelled” sign from a hotel lobby. Then others started to confirm, the cancelled information. Yet, nothing on official channels yet (facebook or twitter). Then some started to see it on Facebook, but I was still unable to find it. Then I checked the “event” tab for runDisney and there it was: Cancelled. They had decided to cancel the half marathon because of the threat of lightening during the race time. I knew it was coming. I figured maybe a delay or a short course, but cancelling. That was tough to swallow. It didn’t seem real. It meant the quest for 6 PRs over the weekend was over…

2017 Dopey Challenge: Marathon Race Report

Everything had been building to this morning. The goal was to give the best effort for the marathon and whatever it equaled it equaled. My wife thought maybe a BQ but I thought that was probably a tad too ambitious. I would be content with a PR of any kind and a healthy finish especially with how the last marathon went in October and the anxiety it caused for the weeks after.

Final Time – 3:20:52

Marathon – 3:20:52

Unofficial PRs: 5
15k - 1:08:10
10 mile - 1:13:14
20k - 1:31:20
Half Marathon - 1:36:27
30k - 2:18:54

Overall Standing: 197th
Gender Standing: 174th
Division Standing: 40th
Number of Finishers: 17728

Strava Link

Final Dopey time (5k + 10k + M) – 4:25:19

Overall Standing: 43rd
Gender Standing: 39th
Division Standing: 8th
Number of Finishers: 6576

Mom’s Final Time – 5:34:03

Mom’s Official PRs: 1
Marathon – 5:34:03

Overall Standing: 8347th
Gender Standing: 3491st
Division Standing: 38th
Number of Finishers: 17728

2017 Dopey 4.jpg

From a race weekend standpoint, it couldn’t have gone much better. Missing out on the half marathon because of cancellation was disappointing but understandable. I was very happy to nail 3 official PRs at the 3 races I did run. And while I didn’t get an official HM PR, I did get an unofficial HM PR that’s quite a bit faster than my current official HM PR. Enough of a difference that even with some additional distance like in a real HM this likely still would have been faster. So, I still feel like I got 4 new PRs this weekend at 5k, 10k, HM, and M. I also hit my goal of a Top 50 Dopey finish with a 43rd place finish.

One change for next year is that I absolutely must be on the starting line of the 5k/10k if I wish to nail a perfect to me race. My pace is faster than many of the other runners and to avoid having to pull back or risk falling it would be better to stay ahead of everyone.

Total Number of Steps while on vacation (Jan 1 – Jan 9 (9 days)) – 187,633
Total Number of Miles covered while on vacation (Jan 1 – Jan 9 (9 days)) – 109.1

Total Number of Steps before marathon (Jan 1 – Jan 7 (7 days)) – 127,633
Total Number of Miles covered before marathon (Jan 1 – Jan 7 (7 days)) – 70.8

Average Number of Steps before marathon (Jan 1 – Jan 7 (7 days)) – 18,233
Average Number of Miles covered before marathon (Jan 1 – Jan 7 (7 days)) – 10.1

Normal Number of Steps in a week during training – 115,000-135,000

Outside of the marathon day, the week in Disney was a pretty typical steps and mileage week for me. Although most of my steps/miles in training are running whereas in Disney more of that was walking. Like I’ve said many times before I manage to do PRs at Disney and fully enjoy the parks/family vacation because they aren’t above and beyond what I do in training. If you build up your training tolerance, it’s possible to do both while on vacation.

Looking forward to Dopey 2018. If I complete Dopey 2018, then I’ll become a Perfect Dopey (5 straight Dopeys from Inaugural). The goal will be the same: Sextuple PR. Although, if I hit a sub-3 in October 2017, then a marathon PR in January 2018 will be extremely tough. Won’t stop me from trying though!

I'm proud of my mom too. It's no small feat to run a marathon, but it's also no small feat to do your first at age 60. I'll add that I accomplished a lot of goals this weekend, but the two biggest things I'm most proud of accomplishing are:

1) Seeing my mom finish her first marathon
2) Getting several runner tracking texts from runners I helped make training plans for as they crossed the finish line of their various races

Helping others means so much to me and to see others reach those lofty goals they set makes me so happy.

2017 Dopey 5.jpg

I feel the NEED for SPEED!

2017 Jack Daniels 10k Training Plan

The Spring of 2017 was time for something new. It's crazy to think that I had been training for a marathon essentially every training cycle since Spring 2014. That's almost 3 years of endurance, endurance, endurance... It paid off and I wouldn't change anything from the past, but it was time for something new. So, prior to my first BQ attempt in Fall 2017, I thought it would be a good idea to change it up for the training cycle prior. This plan was completely outside of my comfort zone. I was not good at speed workouts, plain and simple. But that's exactly why I planned on devoting a cycle to it, because I'm not good at it. To be the best runner I could be, I needed to try and maximize all of my skills and deficiencies.

This training plan brought with it the first ever “5:xx” training pace. WAIT, WHAT?!?!!?! IS THAT A 5!!! in front of a number. I felt like that was going to be interesting... Thankfully, the "R" paces are kept to 200m or 400m and no longer. That's 44 seconds for the 200m and 88 seconds for the 400m.

--Goals for Daniels 10k training

-To get more comfortable running fast. I wanted to be able to raise my speed cap (VO2max) so that I could run further faster and without as much effort.
-Stay injury free.
-Sub 20 5k or Sub 40 10k. Getting either of these would give me even more confidence in trying to hit a sub 3 marathon in October. I didn’t have to have these goals, but it was a benchmark I could use to measure progress.

The one thing I wasn’t willing to risk was my ability to race my October marathon BQ attempt with this training cycle. I was fully prepared to scrap this entire training cycle if things didn’t feel right. I'm not a speed runner and thus I'm not sure how my body will tolerate these paces (again a 5 ?!??!??!? ). So if things didn’t feel right, or if I was not hitting the paces as scheduled, or if I found myself consistently fading on these runs, then I would shut it down and move back to my specialty of endurance training.

I visited the doctor again in Spring 2017 and got another evaluation on my health. Weight was 163, BMI of 21.5, blood pressure of 117/76, resting HR of 54, cholesterol 137 (normal is 125-199), HDL 72 (ideal is >60), LDL of 54 (normal is <129), non-HDL cholesterol of 65 (normal is <160), ratio of 1.9 (ideal is <3.5), glucose of 91 (normal is 65-99), triglycerides of 53 (normal is <150), and waist of 33in (normal <40). To think I had visited the doctor 5 years ago and these numbers were nowhere near these. Running has truly given me my life back.

In March 2017, I made another change to my diet. The goal was to reduce my daily sugar content and increase my fat intake. I decided to remove my post workout chocolate milk routine. I had been using it since 2013, but it was time for something new. I evaluated several options (Bob’s Red Mill, Sunwarrior, Vega Performance, and Promix). I wanted a liquid recovery choice because it would make it to the blood stream quicker. The decision came down to money and Promix was $1 per ounce and 83% protein (not as much junk). I was able to cut my sugar intake in half (61g vs 33g), double the content (32 oz vs 16 oz), and it only cost me an extra $0.50 per day. I also cut out the bananas and apples from my lunch routine and added in a salad with baby spinach, avocado, and quinoa instead. In addition, I initially added a snack at around 2pm of whole non-seasoned almonds. In June/July (after the Daniels 10k cycle) I would also add half a PB sandwich to the 2pm snack to increase the calorie intake.

The Daniels 10k training went really well. I was initially nervous about the pacing and trying something new. But my body responded really well to the training and produced some outstanding results.

April 6th, 2017 was a very important day in my running journey. For the first time since I had been tracking the relationship between my pace and HR, I finally had a predicted marathon time of under 3 hours. I was given a prediction of a 2:59:18. Another confirmation I was on the right path and my goal was within reach.

2017 Jack Daniels 10k Training Recap

I ended up racing 4 separate times during the training block. Two time trial 5ks, a 5k race, and culminating in a 10k race.

Bunny Head 5k Time Trial Recap
Strava Link

Bunny Head 5k Time Trial #2 Recap
Strava Link

Brat Fest 5k Recap
Strava Link

Hot2Trot 10k Recap
Strava Link

The first Bunny Head 5k Time Trial was easily my best performance.

My previous 5k PR was a 21:02. I ran a time trial of 19:30. So, this represented a 1:32 improvement in roughly 11 weeks of Daniels training. That's roughly a 7.4% improvement which is outstanding! A normal Daniels 10k improvement is somewhere around 2-3%, so I'm pretty happy about 7.4% from my actual PR. I did estimate my current fitness at a 20:30 going into this race, but I can't be entirely positive on that accuracy (still would be a 5% improvement). In addition, these three individual miles represent the three fastest miles I have ever run in my life at 6:02, 6:17, and 6:24. My previous mile PR was a 6:26.

Something else to ponder. I've run ~7450 miles in my running career to date. My first 5k was January 2014 in 23:36. My previous PR was a 21:02 in January 2017. So, in three years time, I dropped 2:34 from my 5k PR (or a 10.8% improvement). I just dropped another 7.4% (1:32) in 11 weeks!!! So, yea... Daniels 10k training works!

I did end up doing a deeper analysis of the time trial and came to the conclusion I went way too fast in the beginning (like way way too fast).

Bunny Head 5k Time Trial: A deeper analysis

The remaining 3 races were good, but not as good as that first one. A combination of fatigue and changing weather caught up to me. As far as the goals went, I got more comfortable running fast, got the sub 20 5k unofficially, and most importantly stayed injury free.

2017 Brat Fest 5k.jpg

2017 Hot2Trot 10k.jpg

OVERALL SUMMARY
Total weeks – 20 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 16 weeks
Total scheduled mileage = 1068 miles
Total mileage completed = 1024 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 95.8%
Total scheduled duration =151:40:00 hours
Total duration completed = 144:43:00 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 95.4%
Total non-recovery weeks mileage – 839.6 miles
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 52.5 miles
Total non-recovery weeks duration – 118:26:40
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 7:24:10 hours
# of weeks above 70% intervals hit (not including easy) – 17/20 (85%)
# of intervals within range = 381/471
% of intervals within range = 81%
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 2/17 (12%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 0/17 (0%)
# of runs over 120 minutes - 1
# of runs at 150 minutes (max duration) – 0
Week at which peak was hit – Week 11
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 7:25 min/mile, then 7:02 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:21, 7:04, 7:15, 6:55 min/mile

Overall, I thought the Daniels 10k training was a huge success. The goal was to get faster, and I think it’s undeniable that I did get much faster. It was no more obvious how the training paid off than to evaluate the changes over time to my HRvPace graph.

2017 Daniels HRvPace.png

The individual lines represent the relationship between heart rate and pace. By creating a line of best fit, you can create a fitness profile. Lower HR at a faster pace equals a more fit runner. The darkest blue line represented where I was in Spring 2015 before I started Hansons training. The black line represented the beginning of Daniels 10k training in February 2017. Each subsequent line represented a 2-week timeframe during the training. As the training progressed, a noticeable fan pattern developed showing the progress over time.

According to the HRvPace graph, I reached my peak during the two-week period of April 29th-May 12th. This led the calculator to predict my best marathon would be a 2:52 (and a 1:19 half marathon). It was an indication of what the future might hold for me if things go well.

Now I just needed that new-found speed to translate into improved endurance to hit that elusive long term goal of a sub 3 hour marathon and a Boston Qualifier. This was finally it. The training plan that I had been building to for years. All of the previous training plans were a learning experience. But this one was to serve as a culmination of everything I learned to put me in a position to succeed.

2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon – The first sub-3 hour and BQ attempt

Two years earlier, I had crossed the finish line of the 2015 Lakefront Marathon. I had finally succeeded in running a sub-4 hour marathon. It was then that I drew up a long-term plan with the idea that it would take me roughly 2 years to be in sub-3 shape. I knew that the progression rate wouldn’t stay consistent, I knew it was going to be a while before I had a chance at a sub-3 marathon (and Qualify for Boston). I drew up a schedule taking me from October 2015 to October 2017. I reasonably believed that if I met certain milestones during the two years after 2015 that a sub-3 would be possible. I wanted to hit a 3:15 marathon in October 2016, but I got a 3:23 instead. My fitness suggested I was around a 3:18, but because of overtraining and an injury race day didn’t go as planned. While at first, I may have questioned the long term plan, I reminded myself:

“You can only do your best today. Sometimes your best today won’t be as good as your best tomorrow and your best yesterday. But all you can ever ask of yourself is to give your best today.”

While the 2016 Lakefront Marathon wasn’t a 3:15, my fitness estimate put me pretty darn close. I went with the Daniels 10k training in hopes of filling the gap. While I didn’t hit the race equivalent performances of a sub-3 hour marathon in the 5k/10k events, I was feeling like the sub-3 was still a possibility. Thus, I needed to optimally design a training plan for my first attempt at a sub-3 in October 2017.

2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Training Plan

I decided to do some serious data mining for this training plan. Data mining as always been something I’ve been very good at. Look at large samples of data and look for small trends. Is there a way to glean information that seemingly seems like a random assortment of data. I scoured data from the 2015 Lakefront Marathon, 2016 WI Marathon, 2016 Lakefront Marathon, 2017 Dopey, and 2017 Daniels 10k training.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me was the relationship between my M Tempo training pace and the actual average pace on race day. And how close I was to training pace during the actual race and how that impacted my racing between miles 20-26.2. This conclusion caused a conundrum. I wanted a sub-3 marathon, but my fitness suggested I was more like a 3:02-3:06. If I trained at a 3:02:30, then I was very likely to get a 3:02:30. But that’s not what I wanted.

1) Train at current fitness knowing that I’ll attempt to train at a 6:58 min/mile (3:02:30) and expect the final results on marathon day to be a 7:02 min/mile (3:04:16) (adjusting for greater than 26.2 miles). This would get a BQ, but not eligible to sign up for the race and not a sub-3.
2) Train just slightly ahead of current fitness only on marathon training runs, to train at a 6:54 min/mile (to get a 6:58 min/mile – 3:02:30). This would get a BQ but not sub-3.
3) Train even further ahead of current fitness only on marathon training runs, to train at a 6:48 min/mile (to get a 6:52 min/mile – 2:59:59). This would get both a BQ and sub-3.

The 2015 Lakefront Marathon provided a glimmer of hope. In that sole marathon, I was able to outperform marathon training pace. That training plan was my first Hansons and from memory went very well. So, in order to train at a 3:02:30, and yet hit a sub-3, I needed to try and optimize the training as much as possible.

So, when I started developing the 2017 Lakefront training plan, I kept the following in mind:
-Keep the total non-recovery training period short.
-Attempt to aim the peak at 10-12 weeks after the training starts.
-Average duration of between 7.5-8.5 hrs, but most certainly less than 9 hours (even with the shorter length of the plan). In addition, on a weekly basis some weeks of >9 hrs is ok, but keep it minimal.
-If the interval hit rate starts to fall below 70%, then reassess training.
-Train at current fitness and REMEMBER that what I end up with in training for marathon days has a direct relationship with final performance. AND that how I pace myself on race day has a direct relationship as to whether I can slightly improve my final time to reach that ultimate goal of a sub-3 marathon.

I also looked back at the substance of previous training plans and came up with the following:

-HMP – 10 sec work instead of MP – 10 sec.
-CV work instead of 5k work, but more HMP – 10 sec. overall.
-More marathon paced work, but not two of those types in a week. If Sunday has marathon tempo, then Thursday is an easier progression.
-Easy days stay at 60 minutes.
-Include step back weeks for bone remodeling.

With all those things in mind, I designed my 2017 Lakefront Marathon training plan. With the hard part of designing the plan behind me, all that was left was to do the actual training. Time to PROVE IT.

2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon – Training Summary

Training went really well. Arguably this was my best training cycle ever. In previous training cycles, I had hit 60-85% of intervals. But during this training cycle almost every week was over 90%! In addition, it was rare for me to hit 100% of intervals on a marathon tempo workout, but during this training session I hit eight out of fourteen as 100% and six in a row!

Another thing that was a huge positive during the Lakefront Marathon training was my performance on the 200m sprints at Daniels R pace at the end of CV (critical velocity) runs. When I started the Daniels training in early spring, the R pace goal was 44 seconds (5:52 min/mile). After a period of time, I moved the pacing scheme up and R pace went to 42 seconds (5:38 min/mile). I included the R pacing during the Lakefront Marathon for an injection of raw speed. On 8/15/17, I ran an 8x800m workout at CV pacing and then wrapped it up with a 4x200m at R pace. The goal was 42 seconds (5:38 min/mile), but I comfortably completed all four in 39 seconds (5:06 min/mile). If that is truly my current raw speed power, then my projected possible future marathon is a 2:50. Doesn’t mean it will happen anytime soon, but it’s something that might be possible far into the future.

There were only a few hiccups. There was a charley horse with about 31 days to go. Thankfully, it turned out to be a one-time thing and the plan progressed as normal from there. In addition, most of the summer was relatively mild. However, the last few weeks of training really ramped up in temperature and wreaked havoc on the end of the training pacing. Thankfully, just in time for race day, the temperature started to drop.

OVERALL SUMMARY
Total weeks – 15 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 13 weeks
Total scheduled mileage = 867.6 miles
Total mileage completed = 826.71 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 95%
Total scheduled duration =115:20:47 hours
Total duration completed = 113:06:36 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 98%
# of intervals within range = 333/374
% of intervals within range = 89%
% weeks above 70% intervals hit = 15/15 (100%)
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 55.1 miles
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 7:32:26 hours
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 6/15 (40%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 1/15 (7%)
# of runs at 120 minutes – 4
# of runs over 120 minutes - 6
Week at which peak was hit – Week 12 and 15
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 6:58 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:02 min/mile

This training plan also brought to an end the 1922 days since my first run. While it wasn’t the goal to be aiming for a sub-3 all this time later, that’s where my running journey has taken me. To think, on that first day on June 27th, 2012 that I went for my first run. Day 1. I ended up running 2.59 miles in an 11:28 min/mile (splits of 10:11, 11:28, and 13:14). That was an all-out effort when I started. Now 1922 days later, the goal is to run an average pace of a 6:52 min/mile for 26.2 miles. From the beginning of this weight loss and running journey I had dropped as much as 100 pounds. Although I usually hover around 90-95 pounds lost.

ALL TRAINING TO DATE SUMMARY
Number of Days – 1,922
Total Running Mileage – 8511
** The 8511 running miles represents the total distance from Cottage Grove, WI to Botswana, Africa.

2017 Botswana.png

Total Running Duration – 1260:17:18
** The 1260 hours duration is a total of 52.5 days of pure running in the last 5 years.

Total Elevation Gain – 263909 feet
** The 263909 feet elevation gain is roughly the distance to the cut line of the Mesosphere and Thermosphere. Upon crossing this threshold, NASA officially certifies you as an astronaut!

2017 Astronaut.jpg

Current Official PRs:
Marathon – 3:20:52 (7:40 min/mile) - 1/8/2017 – Strava Link
Half Marathon – 1:38:49 (7:33 min/mile) – 12/6/2015 – Garmin Link
10k – 43:25 (7:00 min/mile) – 1/6/2017 – Strava Link
5k – 20:30 (6:35 min/mile) – 5/27/2017 – Strava Link

Current Unofficial PRs:
Marathon – 3:20:52 (7:40 min/mile) – 1/8/2017 – Strava Link
Half Marathon – 1:36:27 (7:22 min/mile) – 1/8/2017 – Strava Link
10 mile – 1:10:43 (7:04 min/mile) – 8/24/2017 – Strava Link
10k – 42:50 (6:55 min/mile) – 4/27/2017 – Strava Link
5k – 19:21 (6:15 min/mile) – 5/13/2017 – Strava Link
Mile – 6:01 – 5/13/2017 – Strava Link

2017 PR Graph.png

The necessary 26.2 mile pace for a 2:59:XX marathon is a 6:52 min/mile.

So that brings us to this…. The journey started 1,922 days ago on June 27th, 2012. From my peak weight of 255 pounds in the summer of 2009 to down 100 pounds in the Fall of 2016. A journey that’s led me to run 8,511 miles or about 12.8 million steps. October 1st, 2017…. The 2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon…. The goal is to run the 26.2 mile race in 180 minutes…. When the start gun goes off, I’ll start with a single step…

2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Recap

This was it. Time to go unicorn hunting today. I had some serious trouble sleeping Saturday night. But I wasn’t concerned because I had been getting almost 9 hours a night for the last week or so. Woke up at 3:30am. Got in the shower. Finished prepping the rest of the materials. I had thrown most of the items in the car last night so I could maximize sleeping time (although that didn’t really help much).

We left for Grafton, WI at 4:20am. I ate a PB/Honey bagel, banana, and 2 Beet-It shots at 5:00am. The drive was mostly uneventful. We arrived at Grafton High School around 5:45am. We headed into the school and I used the restroom and got prepare in the cafeteria.

We headed outside and I used the porta-potty at 6:50am right on schedule. We headed over to the car (which was parked near the start) and I put my shoes on. I noticed a family parking their car next to ours. Hey, that kid has a Nemo hat on! I didn’t get out of the car fast enough to flag @pixarmom down and figured she’d find me at the start.

I did a 5 minute WU before the race. As I was walking back to Steph and G at the front of the starting line, I was stopped by @lhermistrom. We exchanged pleasantries and talked goals. It was nice to meet you! Then an older genetleman came up and asked if I was here to run a 2:28. I said sure! He said hi I’m so and so from race relations. I was like, uh sorry I thought you were joking. They do have a corral for 2:02 or under, so I wasn’t sure if that was part of this.

Then we found @pixarmom, @mateojr, and pixarmom’s husband. It was a pleasure to briefly meet you guys! We wished each other luck!

Took an E-Gel 15 min prior to starting and then I lined up at start line. Time to catch that unicorn! The T+D was 95 with minimal wind and minimal cloud cover.

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Last year’s Lakefront Marathon – 3:23:43
Marathon PR to beat – 3:20:52
Predicted Time – 2:59-3:04

*As a reminder, this is the first half marathon or marathon that I paid attention to the splits during the race since summer of 2015.

MILE – SPLIT (PREDICTED TIME)

Mile 1 – 7:17 (3:11:29)

I lined up at the start and before I knew it we were off. I think the first step was a right foot. There were a few moments where I felt like I might have to use the restroom, but I was hopeful that sticking to the plan would show this was just mental. I settled in behind the 3:00 pace group but had no intention of running with them. Once we were past the first few meters I did a quick pace check on saw 6:50s so I felt like I was in a good place. I knew from past history of doing this race that there are few undulating hills in the beginning. So the goal was to keep the splits between 6:51-7:11. So, I pulled back a bit on the 6:50s pace. As we came to the end of the downhill, I noticed my pace was about 7:04 and was still feeling comfortable. But after the small uphill climb my pace came in at 7:17. I was alright with it, but realized this was going to be indicative of how the day was likely to go from here. It felt like marathon tempo, but the pace didn’t seem to match up with training. I brushed it off and just pushed ahead. But that first mile is usually pretty predictive of final pace (although that was always as a blind run).

Mile 2 – 7:04 (3:08:38)
The pack started to separate a bit. I could still see a bulge of people ahead which was likely the 3 hour pace group. Otherwise, the course was peppered with people here and there. The sunrise was a bit annoying as it made it difficult to keep my eyes up but without going blind. Hit the aid station around here and refilled my handheld Nathan. I had a couple sips and continued to do my best to hold the pace between 6:51-7:11. Ended up with a 7:04 and was satisfied that effort = expected pace. Although the effort was probably on the higher end of what marathon tempo had felt like.

Mile 3 – 7:11 (3:08:42)
As we continued on, there was a secondary group of people forming. It seemed as if the group of about 6-8 people had a similar goal and just kind of combined together. I was about 40 feet behind this group and would be for quite some time. It’s somewhere around this time that I was in lock step with a tall guy in a green jersey. Seemed like an Ironman jersey but I couldn’t really tell. We would jockey back and forth for quite some time. Came in at 7:11 which was on the higher end of the pace window. I knew the overall 12 mile goal was 6:59-7:01 pace, so things seemed to be not going completely as expected. But perhaps my body was holding back on me. I didn’t want to look at HR for any confirmatory data. Just put my head down and keep pushing on.

Mile 4 – 7:07 (3:08:18)
Don’t really remember much of anything specific about mile 4. I know I had my E-Gel (Strawberry Vanilla) at the end of the mile. And I know that after I saw the 7:07 mile it was decision time. My body didn’t feel right. It didn’t feel like my effort was matching my pace. I was also getting a tad frustrated with this and realized this. My muscles were saying to me this might be over already (which is of course not even close to possible). A few fleeting moments of jelly like behavior from my body and it was time for a change. At the conclusion of mile 4, I decided the only way I’m turning this race around is to go back to being a blind racer. The paces were getting to me. I was staying positive, but it was obvious that the pace was a touch high and it seemed to be effecting me physically. So, blind racing it is.

Mile 5 – 6:59 (3:07:22)
I hit the aid station right at the end of mile 4. Refilled as best I could with two cups and pushed forward. I was a tad concerned though because I didn’t have much water remaining and knew the next aid station wasn’t until mile 7.5 Not too long after changing my watch to “watch” mode instead of any pace related data information, things started to relax. Maybe it was the blind running, maybe it was just I was more comfortable, or maybe it was the E-Gel kicking in. But all I knew is things started to feel more normal again. I found another runner (white jersey) running a somewhat similar pace and just attached myself to him. Focus on the breathing. Focus on the cadence. Focus on the guy ahead of me. Just RELAX.

Mile 6 – 7:02 (3:06:57)
Nothing to note. Stuck with the blind pacing. Myself and white jersey still in lock step. Tall green jersey was around us somewhere, but I can’t really remember.

Mile 7 – 7:04 (3:06:47)
Came across the 10k mat at 44:04. The goal was 42-43 minutes. So, I knew I was behind the pace a bit, but this wasn’t terribly surprising given how things were prior. Just stick with the blind pacing and trust myself. I was running a bit low on water so I just took a few small sips. Overall the pace felt relatively good.

Mile 8 – 6:57 (3:06:17)
One of my favorite miles on course as we run through Concordia University. A little bit of winding straight roads and good spectator attendance. There are spectators peppered throughout, but this location always seems to have some of the best attendance. Makes you feel a little bit stronger having others cheer you on. It felt like a good mile and I was feeling as if I had started to turn things around. Thankfully hit the aid station and did my best to refill my water.

Mile 9 – 7:07 (3:06:22)
Came out of Concordia University and we were back to the solo roads. Somewhere in mile 8, I lost white jersey. No one really sticks out to me, but I do remember seeing that same group of people up ahead. Still about 50-100 feet ahead of me. I think green jersey was up with them at this point. I could tell the race was getting a bit tougher.

Mile 10 – 7:08 (3:06:29)
Still running well. Enjoying the relief of pressure of seeing my pace and just going with it. Things were still tough but manageable. Still low on water.

Mile 11 – 7:17 (3:06:56)
Running is getting tougher. Knew it was almost time to take my second E-Gel at the end of mile 11. I went with the Raspberry. I was interested in seeing where my HM split came back at.

Mile 12 – 7:07 (3:06:57)
Nothing really to note. I ate the E-Gel and then kept pushing on.

Mile 13 – 7:12 (3:07:08)
Big thing to happen during this mile was a side stitch. I could tell it was coming on. I tried to control my breathing and drink some water. I was hoping I could hold it back before it really set in. Alas, it came anyway. I just pressed on the spot. Slowed my breathing down. Drank some water. And slowed the pace. I felt I could manage it. But was not looking forward to trying to finish out a HM with it. Thankfully, after about 0.75 miles I got it to dissipate. Hit the end of the 13th mile, which meant just around the corner would be the HM split clock.

Mile 14 – 6:58 (3:06:51)
Ran up the hill to the HM split clock and saw a 1:33:32. Huzzah! While it wasn’t the 1:30-1:32 that I was originally aiming for, I felt like it was a definite victory. I wasn’t going to spend time doing any pace split calculations. But I felt like my pace between 6.2 and 13.1 was around a 7 min/mile. I wasn’t crushing it, but I was certainly doing better than I was at the beginning. Alright, pretty simple. Just run a 1:26 from here on and that BQ is mine. Mitigate risk and something like a 1:30 would still be good. Time to see where the legs are. As soon as I passed the HM split clock, I got a rush of energy. I was feeling good and pumping the legs. Knew it was a fast mile. It felt good and it was time to turn the tables and nail that 1:30!

Mile 15 – 7:06 (3:06:50)
And just as sudden as that rush of energy came, it was gone. Things settled back down and I could tell this wasn’t as fast. Things were getting tougher. Manageable, but tougher. I was looking forward to seeing Steph and Gigi. I thought they’d be at the mile 15 marker so I was looking forward to seeing if they made it there.

Mile 16 – 7:10 (3:06:56)
As I rounded the corner to the mile 15 marker, there was Steph and Gigi! I had a moment of a tear down my face to see them. Now that seeing them was over, I was looking forward to that mile 17 E-Gel. I was hopeful it would give me that burst of energy I was lacking. Things just didn’t feel “right”. I wasn’t popping. Grinding, but wasn’t where I wanted to be.

Mile 17 – 7:14 (3:07:07)
I can’t really remember much about this mile. I think it was around this mile that the wind became noticeable. At the beginning of the race, the wind was calm. But as had been forecasted, the wind was slowly picking up.

Mile 18 – 7:33 (3:07:45)
Ate the E-Gel (Watermelon). Still feeling like the pacing was slowing.

Mile 19 – 7:38 (3:08:26)
I can’t remember if this was the mile or the next, but I decided to confirm my feelings on how the race was going. I looked and saw the 7:38. I knew that was a death knell to a BQ. If this mile was like that, then it was likely that others were also near this pace. It became the question of what to do next. Do I try and push to overcome? Do I try to maintain? Do I try to stay comfortable? I decided to try and balance how I was feeling with the remainder of the race.

Mile 20 – 7:34 (3:08:58)
I ate the RunGum. It actually was quite noticeable. Things felt alright again. I wasn’t picking the pace up, but I was trying to maintain. I chewed the gum for at least 0.5 miles. I liked the taste of the cinnamon.

Mile 21 – 7:51 (3:09:47)
This was the mile I finally took a peek at the total time. I saw 2:31:36. I knew I had 5 miles remaining. If I could keep the pace around an 8 min/mile it would still be an easy PR. The effort was between all out and manageable. Could have I given more? Yes, at that very moment I had more to give. But I was also trying my best not to stop to walk. So I balanced it with maintain the 8 min/mile effort. Mile 21 was coming up with a tall hill climb. The last real challenge of the race. Was just hoping to maintain it throughout the hill.

Mile 22 – 7:55 (3:10:37)
Climb, climb, climb…. This is the last challenge. Just need to crest this hill!

Mile 23 – 8:01 (3:11:30)
I can’t remember if it was this mile or the next, but down on the sidewalk I saw two police officers on a knee. Why were they doing that? What were the huddled over? Not a sight I wanted to see. A poor runner was down in the grass motionless. They had a breathing bag on him and his eyes were closed. No movement. It was scary and unnerving to see. Not long after I saw that a stretcher golf cart came zooming down the road. And not too far behind that was an ambulance. I’m hoping for the best possible outcome. You always get a bit shaken when you see something like that. Am I pushing too hard too? I just kept trying to trust myself and past experience.

Mile 24 – 7:58 (3:12:15)
I knew there were only one or two aid stations left. We were also approaching the big downhill. I saw the aid station right before mile 24 and decided this would be the one where I hand out the gift card that @opusone had won during the Dopey Challenge prediction contest. I found a young lady passing out water and slowed down to make the exchange. She clearly had a confused look on her face as I tried to pass it to her. Then the realization that it was a gift card. I said, “thanks of volunteering” and she said “OMG, thanks!”. She was still in shock as I left her, but it gave me a nice feeling to give that to her per @opusone’s request. I put my last name and DIS username on it so maybe she’ll pop in and say hi!

Mile 25 – 8:03 (3:13:01)
Just as I passed the mile 24 marker, there was a sight for sore-eyes. It was the tall guy in the green jersey. It had been a while since I had seen him. He was running, and then walking, and then running. It appeared his day wasn’t going as well as he had hoped either. So as I ran up on him while he was walking, I yelled to him “hey, get on. Let’s do this. Stick with me.” He got a sudden burst of energy and joined me. It was good timing too because as soon as the downhill was done, there was the lake. And with no trees between us and the lake came the full force of the wind. KABOOM! Was it ever in full force. Thankfully I had a running partner to help keep the focus on one foot and then the other. Maybe we weren’t having the day we wanted, but I felt like if I could help him eek out a few extra seconds then all the better. Right in lock step with each other. Ahead was another runner doing the run/walk routine and it didn’t look pre-planned. So as we passed him, I yelled to him to join us. And gleefully he accepted. Now we’re cooking. Let’s see how many others we can collect. Let’s do this!

Mile 26 – 8:05 (3:13:46)
We hit the last aid station and green jersey stopped to drink. The second guy stuck with me. We’ve got this, we can do it. Oh and the WIND! ACK! Just a few steps forward and we’d be there! Step… step… step… My quads were really burning now. I asked myself, if my quads are burning so much right now, how would they have felt if I had actually tried to push the pace earlier?

Mile 26.29 – 2:18 (3:14:36)
There’s the finish line! I see it! Just keep pushing! I saw the clock around 3:13 and was happy. I was going to nail a PR on a day that I felt just didn’t feel right. Finish line! Succcess!

Final Time – 3:14:05

Marathon – 3:14:05

Unofficial PRs: 1
Half Marathon – 1:33:32

Official Overall Standing: 106 / 2292 (4.6%)
Official Gender Standing: 97 / 1204 (8.1%) *
Official Division Standing: 20 / 165 (12.1%) *

*New % Standing PR for any distance but non-Disney race.

Garmin Link
Strava Link

P1010023.jpg

The first thing I did after crossing, was start looking for green jersey. Where was he? There he was. I went up to him and told him congrats. He thanked me and said he really appreciated the help. And I was really happy to help him. Yea, it wasn’t the day I had imagined for myself, but if I could offer a little help to another struggling runner then it’s a big plus in my book.

I found my family. Steph, Gigi, my mom, my MIL (Cyndi), my BIL (Brian), my SIL (Heidi), and their new dog (Sgt. Pepper – Goldendoodle) all made the trip out to see me. I was hobbling around. But I wasn’t anywhere close to as bad as shape as last year. My MIL had brought me an apple fritter as a celebratory meal. Delicious! I had a few people eye-balling me and even had an older gentleman come up and ask me where I had gotten it from. Brought it from local, but I offered some to him and his runner but they politely declined. Heard a few runners cross from Cottage Grove, WI so maybe need to investigate a bit and see what they do for training.

P1010019.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010034.jpg

So, the big questions, why? Why did I have this performance? Seemingly, my worst performance in the last couple of marathons when comparing training pace to race pace. Easy answer for me. Something seemed off about the last M Tempo run (avg pace 7:21), last LRs, and my easy pacing was giving a relatively high HR. Partially the heat, but also just didn’t feel completely right. Whatever the reason, it appears to have carried over into race day. So, it was necessary to look at the data. What did I do wrong? Was I really dogging it during the race and the data said I really could have given more?

Easy answer. Nope, I wasn’t dogging it. The 7:15-7:20 pace was really my marathon tempo. Both the cadence and HR bear that out. My normal cadence during M Tempo is mid to high 180s. Heart rate historically is between 149-152.

Miles above 152 HR: 2, 3, 4, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17.
Miles less than 149 HR: 1, 23, 24

This only confirms what I was feeling during the race. This was marathon tempo. There wasn’t more and when I did push to more I was likely pushing too hard. So, given the HR and cadence were in line, it tells me that what I was lacking was my power behind my steps. Why the lack of power? I can’t say for sure. Maybe I wasn’t eating well enough to support the muscle growth and recovery. I don’t think it was a cardiovascular problem, it felt like a muscular deficiency.

I’m also coated in salt (which is unusual for me) and I didn’t use the restroom until 5.5 miles after finishing the race. This says dehydration (to a point) to me.

With all that being said, what do I think? I’m happy with the result. Yes, it wasn’t what I had been dreaming about for the last 1922 days. But, even on a day which was quite evident from the beginning wasn’t going to be my day, I was still able to nail an almost 7 min marathon PR (3.4% improvement). That gives me 5 (non-full 48.6 mile Dopey Challenge) marathon PRs in a row. The unicorn can be a difficult creature to catch. But, this is just another single step in the right direction towards that goal of a BQ.

Congratulations on the great performance - faster that I could ever dream of running a marathon, and I have been running my entire adult life. And a 3.4% PR improvement when running at these paces is awesome, even if you had hoped for better.

well sometimes life can be hard. especially when it comes to sports ( even running!) good job fighting through the pain! to pixarmom
Congrats Billy!! Really love this race and looking forward to your report! Happy to see a familiar face at the start, great to see your family, and I really appreciate the encouragement! :)

Many thanks to @roxymama for tracking and really appreciate the extra support from Billy's thread readers! I'll post a review over on the running thread, but this was not a PR. First half of the race was incredible - I felt great, taking an easy pace with great breathing, clear head, lots of energy with lots left. As roxy mentioned, I was 2:00ish at the half, and because I almost always run negative splits, was thinking it possible to finish in under 4:00. At mile 15, really horrible leg cramps hit suddenly in both legs - this has never happened to me before and it was truly awful. Now I'm just proud of adjusting my expectations (with no tears!) powering through and finishing! Tried to keep a @ZellyB smile on my face all the way through, and it must have worked! :)

Great recap. That Unicorn is a slippery beast. Great job on prevailing when things didn't go as planned, and still an awesome PR and PR % improvement!

How the... I blame the weather.

Still, really good time, @DopeyBadger ! Congrats!

The weather was certainly better than last week and what next week looks like. We were actually pretty fortunate. Thanks!

Congratulations on the great performance - faster that I could ever dream of running a marathon, and I have been running my entire adult life. And a 3.4% PR improvement when running at these paces is awesome, even if you had hoped for better.

Thanks! I appreciate it! As coach use to say, "relentless pursuit of forward momentum". Instead of a single marathon, I'm using that mantra for my running journey. Keep grinding and I'll get to where I want to be eventually.

well sometimes life can be hard. especially when it comes to sports ( even running!) good job fighting through the pain! to pixarmom

This is all kinds of greatness! It was a pleasure getting to talk with you again today!

Great recap. That Unicorn is a slippery beast. Great job on prevailing when things didn't go as planned, and still an awesome PR and PR % improvement!

Thanks!

Loved your write-up, Billy and as always your positive spirit and desire to understand the why and develop a plan to improve. Really exceptional!

He may have slipped your grasp this time, but that unicorn doesn't stand a chance!

Simply incredible! Super inspiring! So humble and kind! An amazing recap! Glad to be able to call you a "DIS"friend and my trainer!!! Thanks!!!

Congrats on the awesome PR!
That unicorn is a tough one to grab. Sometimes you think you're there, but your body just isn't into it that day. But keep up and good work and I know you'll get there soon.

I think green guy represented all of us here on the dis; you always are ready to help us when we need it and are willing to say "hey, get on, let's do this, stick with me" even when you are in the middle of your own pursuit of a goal. I maybe teared up reading that part a lil bit.

But most importantly...can we stop talking about your race and further discuss this apple fritter???
(What?...it's me...what did you expect)

Mile 24 – 7:58 (3:12:15)
I knew there were only one or two aid stations left. We were also approaching the big downhill. I saw the aid station right before mile 24 and decided this would be the one where I hand out the gift card that @opusone had won during the Dopey Challenge prediction contest. I found a young lady passing out water and slowed down to make the exchange. She clearly had a confused look on her face as I tried to pass it to her. Then the realization that it was a gift card. I said, “thanks of volunteering” and she said “OMG, thanks!”. She was still in shock as I left her, but it gave me a nice feeling to give that to her per @opusone’s request. I put my last name and DIS username on it so maybe she’ll pop in and say hi!

I love this… thank you so much for doing this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter