To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Congrats on your race even if it wasn't the time you were hoping for. I think summer racing is hard - sun, heat, humidity - it takes a toll. I'm confident you'll work out the kinks for Chicago.

Stopping in to say that tonight's training run scares me. I'm gonna give it a go and remind myself that miles go by faster when at a faster pace. But looks like I'll be drinking as much Daniels T as a badger. Maybe the tempos will feel like rest breaks :)

8/23 1mi WU + 3 mi Tempo + 1 mi DT + 1 mi Tempo + 1 mi DT + 1mi Tempo + 1 mi CD = 1:35:10

Stopping in to say that tonight's training run scares me. I'm gonna give it a go and remind myself that miles go by faster when at a faster pace. But looks like I'll be drinking as much Daniels T as a badger. Maybe the tempos will feel like rest breaks :)

8/23 1mi WU + 3 mi Tempo + 1 mi DT + 1 mi Tempo + 1 mi DT + 1mi Tempo + 1 mi CD = 1:35:10

You can and will succeed. The Tempo will probably feel like a relief for sure.

Holy YIKES!!!

You’ve got this!

Yikes! He doesn't have me doing anything like this (yet)!

You can and will succeed. The Tempo will probably feel like a relief for sure.

Holy YIKES!!!

You can totally do it!!

You’ve got this!

I was thinking that @roxymama 's run looked suspiciously like a few of the upcoming runs that Billy has for me. :)

Does that mean I should be afraid of what he has in store for me during Dopey training? Ha ha.

Nah, just do all the Easy Runs and the hard looking ones become easy too. Sort of ;)

I realize how anticlimactic it was not to post that I DID IT!!!
IMG_4410.jpg

Thank god for marathon tempo starting with a 10. A lil slow to start, but billy was right about the tempo feeling easy after T. And the T...wasn't so bad. Very much looking forward to a few 6 milers now!!!!

41 Days to Go (A Friend Told Me I was Delusional. I almost fell off my Unicorn.)

IMG_1692.JPG

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

8/13/18 - M - OFF
8/14/18 - T - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/15/18 - W - 6.6 miles @ EB (7:42)
8/16/18 - R - 3.4 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/17/18 - F - 2 miles @ EB (7:42)
8/18/18 - Sat - Madison Mini HM
8/19/18 - Sun - 18.8 miles of indoor biking (55 min)

Running duration = 4:30 hours
Running mileage = 33.0 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 0:55 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 18.8 miles
Total (training) duration = 5:25 hours
Total (training) mileage = 51.8 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x (x%)

8/20/18 - M - OFF
8/21/18 - T - 22.0 miles of indoor biking (60 min)
8/22/18 - W - 20.0 miles of indoor biking (60 min)
8/23/18 - R - 22.6 miles of indoor biking (60 min)
8/24/18 - F - OFF
8/25/18 - Sat - 34.5 miles of indoor biking (90 min)
8/26/18 - Sun - 40.0 miles of indoor biking (104 min)

Running duration = n/a hours
Running mileage = n/a miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 6:14 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 138.5 miles
Total (training) duration = 6:14 hours
Total (training) mileage = 138.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x (x%)

The week of 8/13/18 - 8/19/18:

As has been covered plenty of time, this was a rough week from a personal stance because we had to put our dog, Lucy, down on Monday 8/13/18. I'll treasure the time we had together. The rest of the week was spent at easier pacing. The T+D for most every run was in the 150s. The right ankle was only somewhat bothersome during the week (minimal at best, and definitely an improvement over the prior week). Although it was certainly more of an issue during the race, then it was during the training leading up to it. After heading home from the race, we immediately headed out to Chicago and I spent the better part of the day hobbling around. G with some pizza from Eataly.

IMG_2061.JPG

My legs were somewhat sore, but my ankle was worse off. But by Sunday night, things felt somewhat normal again. I decided it was in my best interest to ride the bike and not push my luck. I had planned on using Zwift, but for some reason my phone instantly was drained of battery when I tried to start the app. So I was relegated to going somewhat old school without Zwift and just the bike, trainer, and the computer that's attached to the trainer (for distance, time, FTP). I watched Netflix show Disenchanted (which appears to be from the Simpsons creator).

The week of 8/20/18 - 8/26/18:

Monday was my off day, and I was getting more confident the ankle was resolving. Still no pain to the touch anywhere on the leg. Still could pass the jump test without issue. A massive storm rolled through Madison on Monday night dropping 15.5 inches of rain in 24 hours in some places. We were lucky to only get 2-3 inches and had no flood damage. The city has not fared well though as it was not prepared in the least for such a storm (prediction was 0.5-1.0 inches of rain). Glad I chose not to go to the grocery store though as plenty of people ended up with flooded cars or stranded.

Tuesday, I was ready to start running again. So I laced up my old Kinvara 6s. I thought maybe the cushion in the Kinvara 8s and Triumph 3 (walking shoe) were giving me problems so I was going to try something a bit flatter. After about 4 steps in with the 6s though, I decided to bail. Something didn't feel right. Either the shoe was too old (it is quite old, but not a ton of miles), or the ankle wasn't ready yet. So I quickly moved to the bike. Steph thought I was being a bit mental, but as I explained to her, I Love running, and I merely tolerate biking. If I could run, then I would be. G decided to join me for my ride. So I hooked up Zwift and no battery again (even though I had 80% before I started). So we watched Coco instead. Rather uneventful and after 60 min I decided to call it a day at 22 miles.

Wednesday we took a peak at the house progress and then made our way back. Since the shoes were the likely problem I was ready to give it another go for a run day. So right before I started to get my stuff on, I decided to do one last jump test. And I definitely felt "something". Not a lot, but a little something. This was the first time this had happened on a jump test recently. So I decided it was in my best interest just to get on the bike and ride. So I rode the bike for 60 min and G and I watched Nut Job 2 (meh movie). Ended at 60 min and 20 miles of biking.

Thursday I knew it was right to the bike. G decided not to come down and watch, so I decided to finish off Nut Job 2 (because if I'm going to commit that much time I might as well see it through), and then started Snowden (much better movie). After another 60 min ride, I called it a day. I was just trying to match my duration of what my run would have been. The HR has been much lower, but as the days have been progressing I could feel myself recovering and getting stronger post the Madison Mini. I tried covering the computer with a towel and that made the ride more enjoyable since I had little reference to time. Ended up with 22.6 miles in 60 min.

Friday was to be another bike day of 60 min. But it was Steph's grandmothers birthday party (turned 80) and their 62nd wedding anniversary. So went out with the fam and celebrated that instead.

Saturday was to be a 90 min run, so I made it a 90 min bike. I finished off Snowden (recommend watching) and then started Arrival (Amy Adams movie). It's been quite some time since I biked. But even then my longest ride ever was 87 minutes (31 miles per Zwift). So a 90 min ride was new territory. My average HR was 116 which was relatively high compared to the majority of Zwift rides I had done. As the end of the 90 min was coming up I was dripping sweat like crazy, I had drank at least 35 oz of water, and my legs were quite sore. But my breathing was barely moving the needle. I ended up with 90 min and 34.5 miles.

Sunday was time to push the envelope just a little further. The run scheduled was a 4x2 at T for 110 min. So I aimed for a steady workout for 110 min. I was dragging towards the end from fatigue but still able to maintain. I had finished off Arrival and went with TMNT 2 (which wasn't as good, so I think my mind was wandering). Easily drank over 50 oz of water which is way over what I would have consumed outside during a hot run. So the HR may say 118 average, but I know I was working for those 104 min. Ended up with 40 miles total. It was a definitely noticeable workout when I got done. Similar to the feeling of a 15-17 mile long run. It burns for a bit, but it was a good burn.

For the week it gave me just over 6 hours on the bike and an "estimated" (because I have no idea how accurate the computer is, but it seemed close to Zwift anytime I used that on a flat surface virtual ride) 138.8 miles. Nice to have this option as a replacement for running if in case something is actually wrong. Tuesday will be the big test as I plan to get out there and run again. But if something doesn't feel right, I'll bail, ride the bike, and make a call to the Dr to get a professional opinion. I'm hopeful, but realistic about what the future may hold.

The house is still making great progress.

IMG_2070.JPG

G dressed as a 1920s flapper in her walk-in closet.

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

Moving right along. Good timing on the roof as rain is called again for the week so they can do some stuff inside now.

G-girl is so freaking cute. The house is coming right along! How fun!! Sorry that your ankle is acting up but it's nice that you have a biking option.

I feel you with the biking. When I had my recent setback I had to go back to the bike from the elliptical I was super bummed. I'm the same as you - I just tolerate biking. It's better than nothing, but definitely not my first choice. I hope things go well on your run tomorrow! Fingers crossed some rest from running did the trick.

I really want an excuse to dress like a 1920's flapper, but I do not have a walk in closet.

Noted about NutJob2...I've noticed that on netflix but now I know to skip it for roxykiddo

Hope that foot decides to play nice sooner than later, good committment though on getting on the bike and completing NutJob2 (I don't know that I'd have that strength)

I like casual biking outside, but have never found it enjoyable indoors. But, hey, I learned to like the treadmill so you never know!

You have a roof! That’s an awesome milestone in building a house!

Good luck with running tomorrow. I hope time off has helped your ankle.

G-girl is so freaking cute.

:love:

The house is coming right along! How fun!!

Making good progress and nice to see blueprints turn into a house.

Sorry that your ankle is acting up but it's nice that you have a biking option.

Yea, we'll see. Tolerating the biking as much as I can at this point.

I feel you with the biking. When I had my recent setback I had to go back to the bike from the elliptical I was super bummed. I'm the same as you - I just tolerate biking. It's better than nothing, but definitely not my first choice. I hope things go well on your run tomorrow! Fingers crossed some rest from running did the trick.

Running just lets the time melt away. With biking, it's like it's there. Although it is an outdoor to indoor comparison. So we'll see in a few months how I feel about a treadmill.

I really want an excuse to dress like a 1920's flapper, but I do not have a walk in closet.

Seems like a critical missing step. I'd say we'd save you some space in G's closet, but we both know she's already got that thing filled up and then some.

Noted about NutJob2...I've noticed that on netflix but now I know to skip it for roxykiddo

Yea, it's not the worst thing I've seen on there. But I wouldn't click on it again, unless I had no choice.

Hope that foot decides to play nice sooner than later, good committment though on getting on the bike and completing NutJob2 (I don't know that I'd have that strength)

Thanks! Sometimes you just have to do, what you have to do (talking about Nut Job 2 :D)

I like casual biking outside, but have never found it enjoyable indoors. But, hey, I learned to like the treadmill so you never know!

I'll find out if I can do the reverse soon enough.

You have a roof! That’s an awesome milestone in building a house!

:woohoo:

Good luck with running tomorrow. I hope time off has helped your ankle.

Thanks! Although the weather doesn't appear to want to cooperate. So it may be another bike day without a choice. Although I'd really like to find out some info. We'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter