To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

The last comment from someone else is probably the most irritating to me...I can see where the others were just trying to make you feel better in their own way, but that last one is just plain mean. Why be so negative when something is clearly a sensitive subject and so important to someone? I do not understand people sometimes...

Grrrrrrr My mama-wolf "someone has been mean to my friend" instinct is making me want to go put people in their place.

For the record: YOU CAN BQ, YOU WILL BQ, YOU WILL PROVE THEM WRONG!!!
I'd imagined some people would have said the same to you during other stages of your running...about even finishing a marathon, or finishing Dopey, or sub-4hr marathon, or PRing distances during Dopey, or age group award winning, etc etc etc. And you've kept smashing through all those walls. If anything...I'd be more surprised if you didn't keep improving. You always have and so that tells me you are still capable of even more. Use that fire!!

It's bad enough we all have our own pace/goal gremlins, it's no fun when there are actual other gremlins knocking us down.

I personally am very much looking forward to your Boston Marathon recap when it does come. I'll even put in my pre-order now :)

I agree with what others have said here, those comments are insensitive and uninformed (at best) and mean-spirited (at worst - that last one especially). But I also agree with what others have said: You'll prove them wrong, and I hope that when you do, they'll find the honesty and humility to admit that they were wrong.

Excited to see you refocus, excited to see how you progress through this next cycle, excited to watch you meet and exceed your goals, and excited to see your BQ recap WHEN it comes.

The good news is it is almost time to sign up for Chicago. While we won’t be running together, we will have the same goal for that race. Look forward.

On that note, I have a dr appointment for tomorrow morning. I don’t think my hip is serious but definitely need something to get it better, even if that means a cortisone shot and probably therapy.

"Maybe it was time for me to change my focus and be content with not hitting my goals."
"Boston is not that cool of a city anyway."
"What's so important about it, it's not like you're qualifying for the Olympics."
"I was pretty confident you wouldn't hit your time goal."

These people obviously do NOT know the DopeyBadger I know and respect!

Honestly, the second one (the one I bolded) made me laugh--I think b/c I have used it for myself, but not for you b/c you are going to Boston DopeyBadger!!

"Maybe it was time for me to change my focus and be content with not hitting my goals."
"I was pretty confident you wouldn't hit your time goal."
Just...Wow. I'm channeling Roxymama's mama wolf...

The loudest voice will be my own...I'll let myself set my own limits and see where I can take myself.
YES! Love it!

Looking forward to being along to witness the next chapters that have yet to be written.

I usually read, but not always comment on your journal, but these comments make my heart hurt. :(

Agreed.

I know someone who prides herself on not having a "filter" and being "real" with what she says. I think there is value in speaking honestly, but there is never room for comments that hurt or belittle others. Sometimes when people think they are "just being real", what is "really" uncovers that they have a sad, mean reality.

Agreed.

The last comment from someone else is probably the most irritating to me...I can see where the others were just trying to make you feel better in their own way, but that last one is just plain mean. Why be so negative when something is clearly a sensitive subject and so important to someone? I do not understand people sometimes...

I'd ask, but I don't care to.

For the record: YOU CAN BQ, YOU WILL BQ, YOU WILL PROVE THEM WRONG!!!

Thanks!

I'd imagined some people would have said the same to you during other stages of your running...about even finishing a marathon, or finishing Dopey, or sub-4hr marathon, or PRing distances during Dopey, or age group award winning, etc etc etc. And you've kept smashing through all those walls. If anything...I'd be more surprised if you didn't keep improving. You always have and so that tells me you are still capable of even more. Use that fire!!

Actually, yes. There's been plenty said in the past along the same lines from a variety of people. But all along, I've done me. And, just like all the other times, I'll accomplish what I set out to do.

It's bad enough we all have our own pace/goal gremlins, it's no fun when there are actual other gremlins knocking us down.

Right!

I personally am very much looking forward to your Boston Marathon recap when it does come. I'll even put in my pre-order now :)

:surfweb:

I'm wondering what these people thought they accomplished by saying those things? :confused3 Very odd.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with what others have said here, those comments are insensitive and uninformed (at best) and mean-spirited (at worst - that last one especially). But I also agree with what others have said: You'll prove them wrong, and I hope that when you do, they'll find the honesty and humility to admit that they were wrong.

Thanks!

Excited to see you refocus, excited to see how you progress through this next cycle, excited to watch you meet and exceed your goals, and excited to see your BQ recap WHEN it comes.

Honestly, this past race in all its pieces will serve as another pivot. I know I've got big things on the horizon. I'm running with a strong desire at the moment.

Ditto. People suck sometimes. It's okay that you didn't meet your goal and it's okay to feel disappointed about it, but it's NOT okay for people to rub salt in the wounds.

Agreed.

The good news is it is almost time to sign up for Chicago. While we won’t be running together, we will have the same goal for that race. Look forward.

Woot Woot! I'm excited! Sign up is tomorrow at 10am for me and I'll be ready!

On that note, I have a dr appointment for tomorrow morning. I don’t think my hip is serious but definitely need something to get it better, even if that means a cortisone shot and probably therapy.

Glad to hear you're getting an expert opinion and anxious to hear what they have to say.

These people obviously do NOT know the DopeyBadger I know and respect!

Thanks!

Honestly, the second one (the one I bolded) made me laugh--I think b/c I have used it for myself, but not for you b/c you are going to Boston DopeyBadger!!

#BostonBound

Just...Wow. I'm channeling Roxymama's mama wolf...

::yes::

YES! Love it!

:D

Looking forward to being along to witness the next chapters that have yet to be written.

:surfweb:

I just wanted to say thank you to you all. :thanks:

I appreciate it all. It doesn't go unnoticed where the support comes from. :grouphug: :disrocks:

Many thoughts regarding your 10K report and your most recent update, but not enough time to organize them all! So I'll just list a few:

10K: Your 10K report is really incredible and I love that you and @roxymama accomplished your respective bucket list items together. I would love to be skilled enough in coaching to really help someone else in a meaningful way. As much as I enjoy coaching cross country, it's really impressive that you are both caring and knowledgable enough to do what you did for roxy up to and including race day. My most important running goal right now is to cross the 10K finish line with @mateojr in January of 2019 - because that's what I will remember in the long term. And it's great to see our running community setting those kinds of goals while we're setting goals for our own running! On another note, I was laughing about your efforts to make roxy think that she wasn't keeping pace - she sped up when she heard that, but I would have probably slowed down. :( I'm generally a positive person, but I realized I really need to work more on rejecting negative thoughts while racing.

Post-Marathon Update: First, your post reminded me that the marathon takes a toll and patience is necessary. Many times over the past few weeks, I've told my husband that while my breathing feels great and my head is clear, my legs just don't have that same energy during runs. He reminds me that I've run a marathon, a half and then 12 miles over the past three weeks with training runs in between. But then I think that I'd be differently situated if I were a better runner. So I appreciate the reminder that this happens - even to those far better trained than I!

As for the comments you received, boo. So many people have no filter. (Although mateo jr is one of them, but I'll just add that some of that is related to autism and age and he's always well-meaning!) I tend to receive comments regarding running from both sides - some think I run too much and some think I run too little, but many seem to have an opinion! So I take the opinions and use them to reflect on my purpose and goals and make sure I'm doing what works best for me and for my family. I'm glad you've done that too. :)

If anyone says stuff like that to you again just imagine the pack of us behind you giving them the stink eye and shaking our heads disapprovingly. I'd say to imagine us doing other things but this is a family friendly board :)

:grouphug:

I would love to be skilled enough in coaching to really help someone else in a meaningful way.

If you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach. Then you can be more skilled in coaching. But I'd imagine you're already helping people more than you know.

My most important running goal right now is to cross the 10K finish line with @mateojr in January of 2019 - because that's what I will remember in the long term.

That's a great goal. What a wonderful experience that's going to be!

On another note, I was laughing about your efforts to make roxy think that she wasn't keeping pace - she sped up when she heard that, but I would have probably slowed down. :( I'm generally a positive person, but I realized I really need to work more on rejecting negative thoughts while racing.

:rotfl: It's about knowing your audience and what buttons to push. I had a few other things lined up, but never needed to pull them out of the bag of tricks. I'll save them for next time to keep them as surprises for the next lucky victim in my adventure of pacing. Guess we'll find out sometime how you react to my in-racing coaching, right? ::yes::

First, your post reminded me that the marathon takes a toll and patience is necessary.

::yes:: #RespectTheRecovery There's definitely an individual response as some people recover much quicker than others. But the important part is to keep listening to your body.

Many times over the past few weeks, I've told my husband that while my breathing feels great and my head is clear, my legs just don't have that same energy during runs. He reminds me that I've run a marathon, a half and then 12 miles over the past three weeks with training runs in between. But then I think that I'd be differently situated if I were a better runner. So I appreciate the reminder that this happens - even to those far better trained than I!

Yea, as much as I am just turning the corner, you already raced another HM! I know I wouldn't have been able to do that on that day, so props to you!

As for the comments you received, boo. So many people have no filter. (Although mateo jr is one of them, but I'll just add that some of that is related to autism and age and he's always well-meaning!) I tend to receive comments regarding running from both sides - some think I run too much and some think I run too little, but many seem to have an opinion! So I take the opinions and use them to reflect on my purpose and goals and make sure I'm doing what works best for me and for my family. I'm glad you've done that too. :)

Nice way to look at it!

This one really strikes me as the worst because if you hadn't focused on hitting your goals up to this point you wouldn't have made it to where you are. You went from not running at all to being a very speedy runner and you may not have made it to Boston yet but that doesn't mean you should give up. I don't think this is appropriate to say to anyone regardless of what their goals are. Goals are what drive us to be better. Maybe they should change their focus and make it a goal to be less critical of other people's goals.

I'm sure whoever it was had the best intentions in mind but this and all the other comments are really hurtful for me to read as a third party. I can't imagine how it made you feel. Don't listen to the haters, keep your head held high and keep working towards your goals!

I'm scared what my body might say when I have to run 25+ miles for Ragnar 6 days after a hard marathon effort :scared:

You're one of the strongest runners I know. Not just because you're fast, but because of your ability to string together some intense workouts. I've got a feeling your body will be asking for more, just like good ole' Oliver Twist.

#fueledbybeer

tenor.gif

This one really strikes me as the worst because if you hadn't focused on hitting your goals up to this point you wouldn't have made it to where you are. You went from not running at all to being a very speedy runner and you may not have made it to Boston yet but that doesn't mean you should give up. I don't think this is appropriate to say to anyone regardless of what their goals are. Goals are what drive us to be better. Maybe they should change their focus and make it a goal to be less critical of other people's goals.

I'm big on goals, so agreed it was a harsh one.

I'm sure whoever it was had the best intentions in mind but this and all the other comments are really hurtful for me to read as a third party. I can't imagine how it made you feel. Don't listen to the haters, keep your head held high and keep working towards your goals!

It certainly hurt. I was kind of like:

xmehpUa.gif

tenor-4.gif

AV4Lrw4.gif

tenor-3.gif

tumblr_l9jbjjrezw1qardf2_zpsfd6ff0c5.gif

tenor-2.gif

And eating fritters that we won't share with them. Obvi.

Obvi!

The worst punishment there could be!! :(

Sounds like I need to find a way to get a fritter your way.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish. The time will pass anyway"

That's a good one!

Boston is VERY cool and I will fight anyone who says otherwise!

That's what I like to hear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter