To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Womp Womp... Got a Charley Horse in my left calf in the middle of last night. Was super and stiff this morning. Iced it and then put it under a hot shower. Felt reasonable enough to give the max M Tempo a try with full intentions of cutting short at any moment. Made it through 8 miles of the M Tempo pace and then I could tell it was becoming more noticeable so I shut it down. The calf not withstanding the pace felt great and still right on track for the victory lap in 31 days.

That commercial was fun! G looked super cute!!

Thanks!

And I'll be very interested to see how you like using the gum while running! I can't chew gum because of jaw issues, but I do take sports beans with caffeine and I do notice a better pick up during a long run vs. when I take fuel with no caffeine.

I like my gum, but not sure about trying to chew it and run at the same time.

So I usually will take a clif espresso energy shot when I first wake up, and that is 100 mg. I don't mind it, unless I'm running so I take a 2nd 15 min prior for another 100 mg. Then I packed 4 packs of chews(6 cubes/pack). 2 packs cafinated and 2 not. Each pack has 100 mg. This brings me to the max I'm comfortable taking, but I'm still not happy with the amount of sugar this ends up being... so I'm not sold on my method.

That sounds like the max (400mg) according to what I read as well.

There were a few more studies done showing how little you need to get an effect. Aditionally I read another study showing a minimal reduction in performance boost despite drinking multiple cups of coffee every day! My hypothesis is that coffee buzz gives you the remaining effect, and the more you drink the less that will present it's self. For you, not being used to caffeine you'll feel like superman!! So I will say as long as you get 100-200 mg you should see a really nice boost.

That's what I'm thinking too. Since I don't really eat caffeine I may need a pretty low dose to notice a difference.

Womp Womp... Got a Charley Horse in my left calf in the middle of last night. Was super and stiff this morning. Iced it and then put it under a hot shower. Felt reasonable enough to give the max M Tempo a try with full intentions of cutting short at any moment. Made it through 8 miles of the M Tempo pace and then I could tell it was becoming more noticeable so I shut it down. The calf not withstanding the pace felt great and still right on track for the victory lap in 31 days.

UGH Womp womp indeed. Fun fact: Charley Horse was named after an old lame horse in the late 1800's that would pull the roller at the ballpark for the Chicago White Stockings. I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of this fact; only that I've been told it by multiple trustworthy beer drinking Chicago sports dudes. I've also heard it was a pitcher nicknamed Hoss, so????

Hmmm 31 days....I'd start posting 31 flavors of ice cream but that seems mean to do to a runner in training. I'll put my thinking cap on :)

Oh no! Is it the same calf that was giving you shin splints? Smart shutting it down early, hopefully it recovers quickly! Maybe eat some foods high in magnesium and potasium today, both act as natural muscle relaxers

UGH Womp womp indeed.

::yes::

Fun fact: Charley Horse was named after an old lame horse in the late 1800's that would pull the roller at the ballpark for the Chicago White Stockings. I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of this fact; only that I've been told it by multiple trustworthy beer drinking Chicago sports dudes. I've also heard it was a pitcher nicknamed Hoss, so????

Interesting! :drinking1

Hmmm 31 days....I'd start posting 31 flavors of ice cream but that seems mean to do to a runner in training. I'll put my thinking cap on :)

:eek:

Charley Horse is NOT fun. Glad you shut it down when it seemed to get worse. Don't want to risk an injury this close to race time!

Never had one before like this, so kind of a bummer. Guess it's better now with 31 days to go, then week of. Bright side! :sunny:

Oh no! Is it the same calf that was giving you shin splints? Smart shutting it down early, hopefully it recovers quickly! Maybe eat some foods high in magnesium and potasium today, both act as natural muscle relaxers

It is the same leg. Haven't had those sensations in about a week or more. Guess it's edamame for lunch then!

Getting back to you on the caffeine fasting question, I can't find the coaches whose article I initially read, but in my Googling today, I did find this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077738
https://www.outsideonline.com/1783731/how-should-i-use-caffeine-race-day

The article I used to give this a try initially basically said to refrain from caffeine for 2 weeks before race day in order to give the caffeine you take on race day a bigger impact on your system. I've found it works for me, but we're all an experiment of one in the end.

Getting back to you on the caffeine fasting question, I can't find the coaches whose article I initially read, but in my Googling today, I did find this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077738
https://www.outsideonline.com/1783731/how-should-i-use-caffeine-race-day

The article I used to give this a try initially basically said to refrain from caffeine for 2 weeks before race day in order to give the caffeine you take on race day a bigger impact on your system. I've found it works for me, but we're all an experiment of one in the end.

Thanks for the links. I think I'm aiming for taking it at the tail end of the marathon like the outsider mentions. Because Beet Juice recommends no use of mouthwash or gum (because it destroys the necessary bacteria), then I think during competition will probably yield the best combinatorial effects of both items. The RunGum arrived today!

Thanks for the links. I think I'm aiming for taking it at the tail end of the marathon like the outsider mentions. Because Beet Juice recommends no use of mouthwash or gum (because it destroys the necessary bacteria), then I think during competition will probably yield the best combinatorial effects of both items. The RunGum arrived today!

I like the idea trying them both and comparing. How did the beet Juice shot react with your stomach during the run? Supposedly it's supposed to fix some of the problems of drinking non-concentrate. I still think caffeine will give you superior results because of your lack of prior usage. The psychological edge is real, but it will also make you super amped post run FYI :-)

How did the beet Juice shot react with your stomach during the run?

No issues. Tried it for a few days and nothing. Didn't try it during, but the paper from the UK group hasn't been published yet. The author hinted the results were beneficial, but gave no details.

I still think caffeine will give you superior results because of your lack of prior usage. The psychological edge is real, but it will also make you super amped post run FYI :-)

I just need to make sure it doesn't effect me too much.

The plan if both seem sufficient is to do the dose loading procedure of Beet Juice in the week prior. A double dose of Beet Juice 90 min before the race. Then chew the caffeine gum at around mile 17-19.

No issues. Tried it for a few days and nothing. Didn't try it during, but the paper from the UK group hasn't been published yet. The author hinted the results were beneficial, but gave no details.

I just need to make sure it doesn't effect me too much.

The plan if both seem sufficient is to do the dose loading procedure of Beet Juice in the week prior. A double dose of Beet Juice 90 min before the race. Then chew the caffeine gum at around mile 17-19.
Sounds like the perfect plan!!

Well the good news is that if I had to run today I could. Still going to take the day off to try and to be closer to 100%. I think this might be the first time in my 5 years of running that I had to take a day off because of an injury. There was the 2 weeks last October because of the shin issue, but that was pre-planned. Otherwise, all days off were pre-planned, schedule conflicts, weather related, or sickness. Feeling much better today though.

Ha. We can be unplanned day-off buddies. I'm actually really proud of you for taking the day and not pushing it. It takes a big dose of maturity not to push yourself too hard in relentless pursuit of a goal you are SO CLOSE TO. But better to lose one day for the greater good of a dominant training cycle and victory lap : )

Fun Fact #30
If you’re looking to hunt a unicorn, but don’t know where to begin, try Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Since 1971, the university has issued permits to unicorn questers. Anyone embarking on such a search is advised to carry a flask of cognac and a pair of pinking shears.

Fun Fact #30
If you’re looking to hunt a unicorn, but don’t know where to begin, try Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Since 1971, the university has issued permits to unicorn questers. Anyone embarking on such a search is advised to carry a flask of cognac and a pair of pinking shears.

So, pinking shears?? Is that so any unicorn hair you cut will have a pleasing zig zag pattern?

And, yes, that's the only thing I intend to question out of that entire post. :D

Ha. We can be unplanned day-off buddies. I'm actually really proud of you for taking the day and not pushing it. It takes a big dose of maturity not to push yourself too hard in relentless pursuit of a goal you are SO CLOSE TO. But better to lose one day for the greater good of a dominant training cycle and victory lap : )

:beach:

I preach the "big picture" to all my runners. This is just another moment of practice what you preach. Entering race day healthy is far more important than any individual run.

Fun Fact #30

hunter.gif

So, pinking shears?? Is that so any unicorn hair you cut will have a pleasing zig zag pattern?

And, yes, that's the only thing I intend to question out of that entire post. :D

200_s.gif

200w_d.gif

Fun fact #29: In his travels, Marco Polo believed he stumbled across unicorns. He wrote, “They are very ugly brutes to look at. They are not at all such as we describe unicorns.” That’s because they were actually rhinoceroses.

Fun fact #29: In his travels, Marco Polo believed he stumbled across unicorns. He wrote, “They are very ugly brutes to look at. They are not at all such as we describe unicorns.” That’s because they were actually rhinoceroses.

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter