To go with the Peanut Butter thread: Do you think that PBJs should be banned...

ogreenlee

<font color=green>i surely didn't want to have to
from schools?

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't pack PBJs for my daughter to take to school, but at her preschool, if one kid has a peanut allergy in the class, no one can send a PBJ.

I feel bad for the kids with the allergy, though. I hear some classes make the kid sit separately. :sad1: That makes me sad.

There's just nothing else I can pack for her that she'll eat and doesn't require heating up.

What do your kids' school do?

The school I work in is a peanut free school. It has been that way for 2 years now.

I work in a peanut free preschool, that means none regardless of whether there is a child with an allergy or not. DS's preschool is need based- if there is a child with an allergy, then they eliminate peanuts/peanut butter for the year. DD is starting kindergarten in two weeks and I have not heard anything about peanut allergies there.

My kids' schools have all been peanut-free. It is tough sometimes--DD does not eat meat or soup (yup, she's picky;) ). I don't mind having to be more creative and having her adapt in order to make sure everyone is safe and healthy.

Now, if PB&J's were ever banned in my house, I'm pretty sure we would all starve :scared:

A lady at my husband's office Christmas Party died at the party because she had eaten Thai Pasta not knowing what it was. I could smell the peanuts from the other room, but I guess she had not been exposed in so long that she didn't recognize the smell. There was a nurse and a medic at the party who were first to try and assist, and a doctor from the house next door was there within 5 minutes. They tried in three places to get air to her with no luck. :(

It was then that I learned how quickly something tragic could happen because of a simple peanut.

"Peanut Free" schools are not possible, actually. You're talking about "Peanut Sensitive". "Peanut Free" would mean no one was even allowed to eat peanut butter at home, ever. All people entering the building would have to be screened before they would be allowed in, including guests, delivery, and emergency services.

I've worked at a peanut sensitive school, where one child was allergic to the smell, and one special needs child would only eat peanut butter crackers. It was easy to keep the two of them separated while eating, hand-washing was very well used, and both children did not miss out on any school activities due to their issues. Peanut butter was not used in the cafeteria, but children were allowed to bring it from home.

But what about if a different child is allergic to milk? eggs? etc? Is all that going to be banned too? I have very strong opinions on this subject.

I think with the problem of peanut allergy is that asphyxiation can occur in a very short timeframe of exposure.

I'm kind of caught inbetween as well, but I also don't want any kids to have to suffer.

i think banning it is absolutely unnecessary and silly. just because a child is not eating the pb & j right then does not mean that they are not contaminated. they can eat it at home and bring the oils to school on their hands, clothes, papers, books etc and get them on supplies, structures, other people, and so on. also, school facilities are often used on the weekend and can be contaminated then. having had students in my class with severe allergies, i learned that he oils can last 6 months unless properly cleaned. that means that library books, and anything that goes home could also be a danger. the best way to protect the child with an allergy is to have an adult clean areas/things before they touch them. i had to wipe down my student's desk, community supplies, seats on the bus, etc before she touched them every day. also every student in my room washed before he/she was admitted to my room. tihs is how it has been done at our school for years. currently we have had 6 kids with severe peanut allergies and numerous with more mild allergies, but have only had one child with an episode ever at our school (she was my student and her mother accidently gave her a peanutbutter cookie in her lunch:confused3 ). all of the kids, even in kinder can administer their own epi-pens if needed and all of them know to look and check their areas/foods.
also, now we have a large number of children coming in with wheat, fruit, and veggie allergies. some so severe, a child in our grade could not even be in the room when we made cookies due to the flour being airborne and if he breathed it in, he would have a reaction. so the teacher made her cookies in my room and his mother made a seperate batch in her room with a group of kids if we ban peanutbutter for the kids who are allergic, do we ban those other foods too? where do we draw the line? besides, we have to teach all the children to be careful, they do go places outside of school where it could make a difference. (example: my coworker took two students to the movies as a reward, and after they ate reeses cups they wanted to go wash their table because someone with allergies could sit there next. well trained.)

Before I personally experienced this my opinion might have been different. But being the mom of a highly allergic child now I can tell you that even though I wish school would go totally peanut free its almost impossible! When you have a allergic child you have to start reading everything! Even things you always buy just in case ingredients change. Who knew GM Boo berry cereal or Franken Berry cereal had peanut flour? Pancake mixes, some frozen fries , popsicles , cookies , etc . . Even things without peanuts all carry warnings now that they are made in the same plants.

Companies are going wayyy to far to cover themselves and putting it on everything! Pizza Hut the other day that I always thought was a safe out place to eat now states on their website that their sauce is made in a facility with peanuts . There are a few more things that do as well. Now is it really or are they trying to cover themselves? What happens of course is that they are taking food out of my kids mouth .

Really I cant say it doesnt help a LOT to take out the PB stuff. The fact remains that allergic kids will still have to watch even things that seem safe. But since PB is a bad residue and hard to remove I think this could cut a huge percent of reactions. They did a special on 20/20 about somnething like this . They found the Pb residue everywhere on light switches , desk's crayons etc. The teacher always took the kids to the restroom after lunch but apparently it didnt help that much.

Its very sweet of you to think of the other kids. You wouldnt believe what some parents say about my sons allergy. Including " Oh he will grow out of it " and so on. But in fact each time he reacts it gets worse. Sadly even my family doesnt get it. So its really wonderful that you are so compassionate.

Right now I homeschool. Because my sons allergy is that severe . My school district is not that educated on how to handle these issues or that aware of how serious they are. Kids are not allowed to carry their life saving epi pens on them! Only the nurse can have it . And in a reaction my son has a very short time to get the injection! The nurse isnt even there everyday ! My son saw the kids at the school on the playground the other day and wanted to join them It broke my heart. I do make sure he has friends to play with of course but I wish he would have been able to experience Kindergarden .

He has a brother a year apart from him so they have each other and homeschool is now going great. He see's his little friends when they get out of school now to.

Sorry to go on so much. Lol Anyway thank you for being so considerate of allergy sufferers. It seems like people are so much more aware now. And that helps me sleep a little better!

I dont know if you have a allergic kid in your childs class . But some ideas for anytimes PB might not be safe are . Or just different ideas because kids get bored fast of stuff! lol

Spagettio's in a little tupper or thermos.
Grilled cheese
little shaped cucumber sandwhichs( some kids love & some hate this)
Jelly and fluff
thin sliced hot dogs ( so no choking sometimes skin off if they are in Kindergarden)
bean and cheese tortillas
pizza

There is more but you said you didnt want stuff getting yucky so unless you have a little cooler block it limits you a bit. Btw they have princess and cars cool packs in the dollar section at target. I bought some for my kids for our Disney trip.

Sorry to have yacked so much! :headache:
crazy but sometimes waffles

It's stories like the one you just shared that remind me that I should be thankful for my daughter not having the same problems and that the only inconvenience that she may have to face is having to eat something besides a PB&J.

I've also heard that symptoms get worse with each exposure. That's why they say not to worry about the first time a child is exposed to certain foods because the first time is a warning sign for most allergic reactions. I think the same goes with shellfish.

I can imagine that I'd be a nervous wreck if my DD were highly allergic to something.

But what about if a different child is allergic to milk? eggs? etc? Is all that going to be banned too? I have very strong opinions on this subject.

There was actually a child in my DD's preschool class that was allergic to dairy and eggs along with peanut/tree nut allergies. We were not allowed to send in any snacks (you send in for the whole class) with any of these ingredients.

I have another DD with a life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergy. We cope but it is not easy. It is hard to comprehed it until you deal with it on a daily basis.

For those moms w/kids who love PB and are put in a situation where they cannot serve it, try Sun Butter...it is a butter made from sunflower seeds and my kids really don't know the difference. I've even served it to unsuspecting kids who come over for lunch and no one has ever even mentioned that they thought it was different. There is also soy butter, but my kids like Sun Butter better.

i think banning it is absolutely unnecessary and silly. just because a child is not eating the pb & j right then does not mean that they are not contaminated. they can eat it at home and bring the oils to school on their hands, clothes, papers, books etc and get them on supplies, structures, other people, and so on. also, school facilities are often used on the weekend and can be contaminated then. having had students in my class with severe allergies, i learned that he oils can last 6 months unless properly cleaned. that means that library books, and anything that goes home could also be a danger. the best way to protect the child with an allergy is to have an adult clean areas/things before they touch them. i had to wipe down my student's desk, community supplies, seats on the bus, etc before she touched them every day. also every student in my room washed before he/she was admitted to my room. tihs is how it has been done at our school for years. currently we have had 6 kids with severe peanut allergies and numerous with more mild allergies, but have only had one child with an episode ever at our school (she was my student and her mother accidently gave her a peanutbutter cookie in her lunch:confused3 ). all of the kids, even in kinder can administer their own epi-pens if needed and all of them know to look and check their areas/foods.
also, now we have a large number of children coming in with wheat, fruit, and veggie allergies. some so severe, a child in our grade could not even be in the room when we made cookies due to the flour being airborne and if he breathed it in, he would have a reaction. so the teacher made her cookies in my room and his mother made a seperate batch in her room with a group of kids if we ban peanutbutter for the kids who are allergic, do we ban those other foods too? where do we draw the line? besides, we have to teach all the children to be careful, they do go places outside of school where it could make a difference. (example: my coworker took two students to the movies as a reward, and after they ate reeses cups they wanted to go wash their table because someone with allergies could sit there next. well trained.)

Well the reason why ban Pb and not everything else is because PB is the most common and most severe allergy ( life threating) . And as you stated the oils in it make it extremely hard to clean up after. No you cant rule out the risks completly because as you stated kids at home will continue to eat this stuff and possibly bring it in. BUT you can reduce the risk a great deal by not having it present in the school zone.

I think I can see what you are trying to say . At one point I might have agreed. But looking at my childs face I can truly say that anything that can decrease a risk and save a childs life is worth the minor inconvience of others.

It may not remove all the danger . But that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to help make it LESS dangerous.

ooh, i've heard of sunbutter!

didn't even think about that being an option. that may be good to try just for the heck of it!

Trader Joe's (if you have one in your area) has the most awesome chocolate covered sunflower seeds. (as a side note)

My DD is only 3, so we haven't hit this situation yet. Does this apply to almonds, too, like almond butter? We are trying to transition her from peanut butter to almond because its supposed to better for you, and if it might help things in the long run, with other kids who have allergies, then I'm definitely going to go for it!

almond is a tree nut. some peanut sufferers are also allergic to tree nuts, some aren't.

Okay, I have other food allergies, but not a peanut allergy. Just curious because I really thought all food allergies could be pretty much handled the same way, but don't the children with peanut allergies have epi-pens in case of emergency? Does this not work on a peanut allergy? I'm highly allergic to shellfish, but my whole family partakes (except me) and even prepares it at home. I figure they should not suffer because of me and my allergy (I would feel guilty if they were forced to abstain because of it). My DH is very good about disinfecting and cleaning after seafood preparation and we have never had an episode, but I do have an epi-pen on me at all times if there were a problem. Does peanut allergy cause a reaction other than anaphylaxis? Sorry, just looking to be educated here and understand since I have no experience with peanut sensitivity or allergy.

We use Sunbutter for my DGD who is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. Actually, the whole family eats it.

The difference between peanut allergies and other food allergies is that peanut allergens are airborne. Your child may have a bag of nuts at the lunch table across the room, and my DGD may die because of it, if her epipen isn't injected soon enough. Scary stuff!

Add me to the list of people that had a different opinion about this a year ago. My opinion has now changed since the severe reaction my daughter had to pb and she didn't even eat it. She just came in contact with it. Luckily, she had an epi-pen at the school for an egg allergy. At the time, we weren't even aware that she was allergic to peanuts. From that point on, peanut products weren't allowed in the classroom. She goes to a private school that serves lunch so the only time lunch or snack was brought in was on field trip days. Or when a child was celebrating a birthday. But parents would still send in cupcakes for birthdays and that left my child sitting at a table by herself so as not to be contaminated. It breaks my heart to see her sitting by herself because of her allergy. So, yes...I believe schools should be peanut free. We are planning on keeping her at the private school instead of sending her to public school because unfortunately, our public school district is NOT peanut free and in fact they server peanut butter sandwiches every day.

Well the reason why ban Pb and not everything else is because PB is the most common and most severe allergy ( life threating) . And as you stated the oils in it make it extremely hard to clean up after. No you cant rule out the risks completly because as you stated kids at home will continue to eat this stuff and possibly bring it in. BUT you can reduce the risk a great deal by not having it present in the school zone.

I think I can see what you are trying to say . At one point I might have agreed. But looking at my childs face I can truly say that anything that can decrease a risk and save a childs life is worth the minor inconvience of others.

It may not remove all the danger . But that doesnt mean we shouldnt try to help make it LESS dangerous.

it can be a major inconvenience for some. as a pp stated some special needs children and autistic children are very picky about what they will eat when and some will only eat peanut butter for lunch ( i have had one in my class, thank goodness not at the same time as when i have had a severely allergic child. he only ate pb-no j on ritz crackers, strawberry go-gurt, tree top apple juice, and one oreo for lunch every day all year) not to mention that there are children with multiple food allergies that may have peanut butter as one of the foods that can be eaten (there was a girl at our school where this was the case-she was allergic to just about everything it seemed, even most veggies, fruit, and candies)also, there are other food allergies that are as severe (equally life threatening) and are becoming much more common (wheat.) the wheat allergy is airborne also. so my question of asking if we ban that is legitimate. i think banning food is unnecessary, it doesn't happen in the malls, playgrounds, stores, movie theaters, theme parks, and the school (on the weekend, afterschool hours, for scouts, etc) and i am sure that the children go there. i agree that precautions should be taken, but banning the pb is not going to make the problem go away. teaching children and adults good cleaning habits works well at our schools, and so i believe that banning is unnecessary.

i also want to add that we don't isolate kids with allergies at my school. all treats to share must be peanut-free, (even dairy free/egg free, etc where needed) and anyone with a nut free lunch can sit at the nut free table (checked by staff and must be certain that they are nut free.) i also keep a stash of acceptable treats in my desk for the students with allergies in case the treat ingredients are not listed. at these times, we take the treats to the grass/or underhangs in rain and eat there so that the allergic child is not alone and we wash up before we go to the room. i also use tons of soap and make the kids rub it in before they go to the restroom to make sure that they was well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter