To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go in 2.5 weeks. A little nervous, yes, but I also know I'm fairly smart with mask usage and don't mind wearing it all day long outdoors and indoors.

My biggest sadness will be that I probably won't get to watch Happily Ever After on the castle for the very last time, but I do plan to watch it somewhere in the park -- just don't know where.

Been reading about studies being done, University of Gainsville is actually predicting the peak to be around now. Others I have seen predict beginning of September. I am not a doctor/virologist/researcher, but it is something I have been trying to read up on. Regardless, please be safe everyone!

Yes I've been seeing the same thing. In addition resort occupancy and crowds are expected to drop about 10% per week for the next month.

We’re also facing a “go or not” decision right now. This trip was suppose to celebrate my son’s graduation and we’ve been looking forward to it since we moved cross country right before the pandemic started. We thought putting it off until September was the right choice when we booked in the spring. Now I’m wishing we’d gone for Spring Break.

We’re all vaccinated and have been diligent in following CDC guidelines the whole pandemic. Three out of four of us are healthy and active and at low risk for complications given our vaccine status.

However, my husband landed in the ICU in respiratory distress in April 2019 from some random pre-Covid 19 virus so he is considered high risk for complications. And that’s what keeps me up at night. He also travels for work. A lot. So I’m not sure if WDW is any worse than Texas where he just was for a week.

This morning I woke up thinking that the monoclonal antibody treatment might be the game changer for us. Just knowing that there is something that decreases his chances of landing in the ICU should he have a break through case makes me feel a little less anxious. I’m going to do some more research in the next few days on how readily available it is in our area.

Still not sure we’re going. But I have read every page of this thread and I appreciate everyone sharing their thought process.
I do hope your husband is ok! And whatever your decision is, know it will be the right one for you!

We’re supposed to go 9/5-9/8 with Ds who is 15 months (we’re locals so driving). Dh and I are both vaccinated. We were just there last week and were able to keep our distance but we only went into Epcot for 3-4 hours. The rest of the time was spent at the resort. We plan to do a day at AK this next trip so I think we’ll just avoid rope drop and do our best to stay away from people. We also have a remy preview spot so plan to ride that then probably leave Epcot. We will wear our masks outside if we feel uncomfortable. We have a resort only reservation so have time to cancel if it gets closer and we decide we don’t want to go

After agonizing over every single page of this thread, I decided to cancel our trip for mid-September. I'm pretty disappointed, we were supposed to be celebrating my son's adoption, but he is isn't eligible for the vaccine yet, it just didn't seem safe. I have some DVC points I need to use by March 31, so here's hoping that the vaccine will be approved for the 5-12 age group by then......

My partner and I have reservations for September 22-26. We've got the "whole enchilada" (as some of us in Texas say) for this trip -- plane reservations, resort reservations (the Riviera), Park Hopper tickets, Boo Bash tickets, and yes, a private VIP tour. We are both fully vaccinated (in our 50s) with no unvaccinated children or family members in our home. We can and will happily wear high quality masks (KN95), eat outside or in our villa, and thanks to the combination of Boo Bash, VIP tour and the high likelihood of low crowds at the time of our visit, we should be able to avoid packed crowds and long waits for rides.

So we've looked at our personal "risk basket" and decided we're fine with going. Is there some risk? Yes. But I think from this point on, I'm going to have to choose to live with some risk from this virus -- my partner has to go to work outside of our home every day, my job requires me to be in the office or traveling for work regularly-- and I doubt COVID is going to simply disappear. I'm not willing to cut out all of the good and fun things in my life (like travel and Disney) to further lower my risk, and I'm not willing to rely on the idea that there will be some perfect day in the future when I can take this trip with little to no risk. (I thought we were at that place and then Delta came along.) Instead, I'll try to calibrate and balance and manage the risk to live the fullest life I can that's right for me.

But each of our "risk baskets" is very personal and very individual. Any one thing (like having an unvaccinated child at home, among many others) can tip the risk basket one way or the other. This is surely the perfect case of "your mileage may vary." I wish everyone only the best as you make these hard decisions.

My partner and I have reservations for September 22-26. We've got the "whole enchilada" (as some of us in Texas say) for this trip -- plane reservations, resort reservations (the Riviera), Park Hopper tickets, Boo Bash tickets, and yes, a private VIP tour. We are both fully vaccinated (in our 50s) with no unvaccinated children or family members in our home. We can and will happily wear high quality masks (KN95), eat outside or in our villa, and thanks to the combination of Boo Bash, VIP tour and the high likelihood of low crowds at the time of our visit, we should be able to avoid packed crowds and long waits for rides.

So we've looked at our personal "risk basket" and decided we're fine with going. Is there some risk? Yes. But I think from this point on, I'm going to have to choose to live with some risk from this virus -- my partner has to go to work outside of our home every day, my job requires me to be in the office or traveling for work regularly-- and I doubt COVID is going to simply disappear. I'm not willing to cut out all of the good and fun things in my life (like travel and Disney) to further lower my risk, and I'm not willing to rely on the idea that there will be some perfect day in the future when I can take this trip with little to no risk. (I thought we were at that place and then Delta came along.) Instead, I'll try to calibrate and balance and manage the risk to live the fullest life I can that's right for me.

But each of our "risk baskets" is very personal and very individual. Any one thing (like having an unvaccinated child at home, among many others) can tip the risk basket one way or the other. This is surely the perfect case of "your mileage may vary." I wish everyone only the best as you make these hard decisions.

This is where we're at too for our trip September 17-22. Low crowds, appropriate masking, all vaccinated adults in our group, no indoor dining, more time at the BWI pool, etc helped us get to this point. All in our group feel the same so we're getting excited to finally go! Some of us haven't traveled AT ALL since 2019, and while we're disappointed that case counts have soared again, we're comfortable with our "risk basket" as well. Everyone reading here has individual circumstances, motivations and comfort levels, and there are no easy decisions so best of luck to all!

Lots of good points made. It looks like Miami-Dade county is driving the numbers. I also read an article that resort occupancy rates are dropping by 10% per week. At last check it was 65% when they forecasted 95%.
Yes, my friend that works at WDW does analytics (I always ake this statement: I know the general area they work in, but I don't do that kind of work myself so I glaze over when they talk about it because I hate math lol), but they texted me on Monday when they got to work and said "go look at the room occupancy for your week...just LOOK!" Only ONE resort is full....one! Two weeks prior 4-5 were full, the friday prior 3 were full, the day before 2 were full, then on Monday the only one left standing at full occupancy for my week is Villas at Grand Floridian. I was just like "this is NUTS" and they go "Dropping like flies, I'm telling ya', can't make this stuff up". Now, granted, I'm not going for the 50th and that is still really full, but it's been so weird to see more resorts become open on a daily basis as the month goes on, and it's not just one room category either it's most room categories at each resort with rooms available.

After agonizing over every single page of this thread, I decided to cancel our trip for mid-September. I'm pretty disappointed, we were supposed to be celebrating my son's adoption, but he is isn't eligible for the vaccine yet, it just didn't seem safe. I have some DVC points I need to use by March 31, so here's hoping that the vaccine will be approved for the 5-12 age group by then......
This is sad but understandable. I'm sure everyone reading this is in same boat having canceled
or close to it. I'm on the verge of canceling our own reservations.

I have to keep reminding myself that WDW IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

We are still going. We will all be vaccinated, although my youngest will only be a couple of days past her second dose when we fly out on Sunday. We are all in overall very good health and no one is immunocompromised in any way. Still, it's a very difficult calculus to make and if we had not been able to get my youngest vaxed prior to leaving, we would have canceled. We have a massive arsenal of KN95 masks and will wear indoors at all times whether required or not, and outdoors if we feel like things are too crowded. The dropping crowd numbers make me feel a bit more comfortable about our ability to distance ourselves as well. Honestly, we have not been on a fun family vacation like this in years...we had been just about to go on a cruise, which would have been our first vacation like that since about 2015, when COVID hit. Our oldest is entering her sophomore year in HS and is less and less inclined to spend time with us, and this is likely our last trip to Disney as a family while they're all still "kids" living with us. It's something we have looked forward to for so long. Titaniumfemme is right about the "risk basket." Our overall risk basket is pretty low, so we're taking that calculated risk and electing to go. I totally understand those who are making a different decision.

My question is- before the vaccines, masks were highly touted as being effective against the spread. Now that Disney has reinstated the mask rule inside, I feel much safer. And if things continue to get worse, do we think they will reinstate it outside? I guess what I keep holding onto is that I felt safe a few months ago with everyone wearing masks (before vaccines), so as long as masks are required inside and outside in big crowds, then hopefully the risk will be much lower.

Apparently Disney just announced you no longer need to wear masks on outdoor rides, queues, and shows, so I guess that's a no on reinstating the mask rule everywhere outside. I'd personally feel better if they reinstated the mask rule to include outdoor ride queues, rides, shows, and during fireworks (though that's almost impossible to enforce), because it does seem like Delta is spreading outdoors more easily than other strains. But I'll just wear my KN95 in those situations.

Now, granted, I'm not going for the 50th and that is still really full, but it's been so weird to see more resorts become open on a daily basis as the month goes on, and it's not just one room category either it's most room categories at each resort with rooms available.

Do you mind sharing what month your trip is planned for?

Do you mind sharing what month your trip is planned for?
It's at the end of August and beginning of September (29-4)

edit to add: I normally search for 29-3 because I'm leaving super early to drive home on the 4th. I don't know what labor day weekend looks like because I didn't want to be there for that lol

I haven't seen anything from Disney, just the blogs, but they are talking about outdoors, to greatly reduce risk if desired can wear N95-KN95 or double mask in those areas. But it does indicate that unless CDC changes their recommendations the WDW parks will not be reinstating a mask requirement for outdoor areas.

(announcement has been made by WDW. wonder if it will result in more or fewer cancellations. is there some evidence that WDW is losing ground to Universal, which only recommends masks?)

Last edited:
Is anyone else considering canceling because of the lack of availability of hospital beds in Fl? We have been vaccinated and I’m not excessively worried about Covid. I’m considering canceling because I’m not sure if we could get a bed in an emergency. Thoughts?

It's a consideration here at home too.. so no, I'm not cancelling because of that. I might if I was traveling with someone vulnerable (unvaccinated, very young, elderly, preexisting conditions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter