To go in a wheelchair or to stay home ???

LynneAmelia

Earning My Ears
Promised my kids years ago I would take them to DW now they are no longer kiddies but older teens, really young adults, in the past 2 years I have had 4 surgeries on my spine and can no longer walk for any length of time, while I am not wheelchair bound, if I am on my feet longer than an hour or so the chair prevents me from getting worn out or dizzy. It also prevents my neck and hips from swelling. My question is would it be better for my kids to send them to DW without me, let them take their dream trip something I have promised them their whole lives, or should I rent a wheelchair and go with them and share the magic. I don't want to slow them down, I don't want them to not see and enjoy everything they deserve but on the other hand I want to see the magic in their eyes if there is a way without ruining their trip.

First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILITIES. All the regulars here have problems of their own but are more than willing to help other people resolve their difficulties.

Go with them!!!!

Second is you may be better off with an Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV) rather than a wheelchair. Go to the index (by clicking on the "disABILITIES" at the top of the page) and look at the 4th item "disABILITIES FAQ". It has lots of information about both wheelchairs and ECVs, so we don't have to repost too often.

If you go with them and have an ECV, it will give you more freedom and mobility that a wheelchair. Also, if you are staying on property and get tired, you can go back to the hotel easily.

One thing you will find is that WDW is actually one of the best places to go anywhere if you have a disability.

Mike

Rent the chair! My dd and I are both mostly wheelchair bound and we go every weekend. I can help you along. We live locally so we could even meet up if you like. WDW is one of THE most accessible places I have ever been to (and we have been dealing with dual disabilities for 4 years)

Thank you so much for your response and more so your kindness. I get frustrated with myself, I am trying to relearn how to live my life, and just needed to know that this was something that could be shared, whether I was capable of walking or not. Hey who the heck would understand a handicap better than WDW... we have Hook with 1 hand...

GO! I took my mom in Feb and we wound up renting a wheelchair for her. My daughters actually enjoyed the slower pace and I'm amazed at how much more details we saw! There was never a mad rush and it kept us at a nice pace. Enjoy your children and the Magic!

GO! Then when you get back, plan on going again!
I "rewarded" myself 2 years ago with a trip to WDW after surgery for a brain malformation. I secretly was planning that to be my last trip. but after reading all the hints and encourgement here, I realized I could handle more trips, just not in the same way as I was used to.
I paced myself, using early entry and fastpass to avoid long lines, hitting a show when I needed to rest, going back to the room in the mid day heat to rest or swim and using a wheelchair when it got to be too much.
I was advised here to get an ECV, but I didn't want the added expense. But I sure wished I had one when I was there so I wasn't totally dependent on everyone else (I can only wheel myself a few feet). So, from experience, I recommend an ECV.
Some good tips I got here:
1) Remember to use sunscreen on your legs and knees if they are exposed, also arms and shoulders.
2) No brakes! People will step directly in front of you, so be aware of this and drive carefully for your own safety. My DH almost dumped me trying to stop when a woman pushed her stroller out right in front of us.
I didn't use my wheelchair for lines since I have problems with my muscles stiffening and had to walk some, so these apply if you leave the chair for lines, ect.
3)Cover the seat with a light colored towel when leaving the chair outside, the black seat gets very hot from the sun.
4) Park the wheelchair in the stroller parking area. CMs will move it there if you don't, plus they may rearrange the strollers and wheelchairs, so it may not be where you left it.
Go, enjoy and make memories!!!

By all means, go with your kids! We have found with our physically/mentally handicapped DS that there was almost nothing he could not do. We opted out of a few things due to his developmental age(HM scared the starch outta him!) but we didn't "not do" anything just because of his physical disabilities. Now that DH has some limiting hearlt/lung disease we never know whether he will be in or out of a w/c (we make quite a picture with our medical equipment) :goodvibes The last time we went DH was on oxygen, but we had a blast! We find the slower pace much more to our liking anyway.

If you have been promising your kids WDW, don't back out now! They wouldn't want you to stay home.Where's the fun in that? :confused3

Have a magical day:wizard:

I agree with everyone above. I think that you should go and rent a wheelchair or an ECV, or a scooter.

You will enjoy the scooter much better.

Go and enjoy. There have been times when my girls have left me to do some shows while they ride the roller coasters. Works perfectly. Just have a walky talkie or cell phones to keep in contact. Sure I go slower now but I have a wonderful time.

Well alrighty then, looks like in 9 days, I will be wheeling my way around Disney World, if your there, beware a short red head in a run away wheel chair or EVC, and if I run over your toes, in advance, forgive me :rolleyes1

I say GO!!!!!!!!!! My wife has MS and is in a wheelchair and she enjoyed every bit of it. In fact we are going back this fall.

LynneAmelia said:
Well alrighty then, looks like in 9 days, I will be wheeling my way around Disney World, if your there, beware a short red head in a run away wheel chair or EVC, and if I run over your toes, in advance, forgive me :rolleyes1
Not worried about my toes just don't run into my power chair. Short, curly haired, reddish burnette in a purple Jazzy 1103

Hurraaaaaayyy!!!!! Congrats on your trip! I'm going with my mom in Dec. and we'll be renting an evc for her as she suffers from a degenerative muscle disorder as well as a fused spine! I can't imagine feeling the magic without her there to share it with me!!!! :goodvibes Have an awesome trip!!!!! :cloud9:

You go girl and have a disney full time. I was like you 8 years ago and my daughter said "mom are you going to just stay home and let your grandchildren grow up and not enjoy them." I got me some wheels, leg braces and other necessary walking aids. Now I'm planning my 18th trip and have enjoyed each and every one except the one when Floyd (the hurricaine) came and we left early. Got this great postcard for $169 to stay at the Poly. I sure did hate to leave that year. I wish disney would offer me another one at that rate so I could finish that stay. I'm sending you pixie dust. You will have a wonderful time. :wizard:

Darn Right your going LynneAmelia.... :wave: speaking as your daughter :earsgirl: if you back out now I will just have to drag you... Look at it this way, most times when we go to six flags you only get tan on your face and sholders, now you get a chair and tan legs.

Mikey doing the disney dance....:dancer:

You go girl!!!!!! Just being with your children and being part of the group will make your vaca. You will be surprised at how much you will do while there. Have a wonderful time with your children cherish every moment.

I am glad you decided to go to WDW with your children. I echo what others have suggested - consider renting an ECV/scooter. You will have a wonderful time together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter