To Diabetics: Medical Forms?

shmoogrrrl

Tigger Goddess
I am a diabetic, but my diet is such that I need no special food consideration and I am not on insulin so I won't require a better cooling unit in my room. Since I won't need any special assistance from DCL, do I still need to have the Medical Form completed?

It seems that the Medical Forms are for special requests, so I wasn't planning to fill the form out, but then it occurred to me that they might note issues on our files in case something strange were to happen. I wear a bracelet and have never had a serious diabetes related incident so I don't think anything would happen, but I'm not sure if the Medical folks on board need to know.

Any diabetics want to share what they did? On my last Cruise I DID turn in the form but only because I was expecting to be on insulin since we were activley trying to get pregnant. Instead my Endo put me on Metformin so I ended up not needing the fridge.

Also, what about Pills and your test meter? I know I need the pills in the original bottle, but any problems with the test strips and lancets? (Although I'd imagine that one couldn't take over a ship with a lancet! :) )

Kathy

i'm diabetic and did not fill out the medical forms.. i am on insulin and carry needles with me. i have a letter from my dr stating why i carry sharps and kept them in my carry on.

since you're only taking a lancet, i wouldn't worry about it.

;D
eBeth

I, too, am diabetic and am on insulin. I carry my diabetic kit with me on airplanes and on the cruise ship. It has the insulin, lancets, and syringes in it. I carry the prescription label for all in the case and have never had a problem. I keep my insulin in the cooler in the cabin, but it really doesn't need to be refrigerated at all, so I'm told. I did not fill out the medical form. :D

I am on a diabetic diet because of low blood sugar.

I filled out the form and had my TA fax it back to DCL. It was a precautionary thing for me, but it let DCL know that I needed help with choosing things from the menus that were not made with sugar.

The Head Waiter will let your Server and Assistant Server know that there is someone that needs to avoid sugar at their table and the three of them will also look for dessert alternatives and help you avoid sauces, etc.

They took it a little farther on our last cruise and they provided a disposal container for sharps in my cabin even though I didn't need it.

I would recommend using the form. Assuming no emergencies, you'll have a better chance for foods without sugar or sweeteners, without having to choose just a bland meal.

hope that helps

I am also a diabetic and I am on insulin. I carry all of my supplies and insulin in a cold pack in my carry on. It has been checked several times by the airport security and all they look for is that you have some type of label on the bottles for medication. I used to carry a letter from my Dr. but that is not need now with the new security rules. Most Insulin will stay for 30 days without refrig. but if you keep it refrig. it will last for a year. When you go to any pharmacy you will notice that they have in the refrig.
The coolers in the rooms on DCL will keep things cold but you first have to have something cold in it to bring the temp down. I always bring a soft sided cooler with frozen bottles of water and put them in the cooler. DCL will let you do this if you have informed them that you are a Diabetic, so I would advise filling out the form. Also, I let them know when I am checking in so they can let the Dr.s onboard of my medical condition. An earlier post give a great example of what can happen to a diabetic on the ship.
Good luck on your cruise and as a diabetic may you always have good glucose levels and normal A1C levels.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I filled out the form for my son, not because of diabetes, but because of a brain tumor although he is doing great. The only concern would be if he were to get sick. Since I filled out the form, they will have all things needed if he is to get sick (adrenal crisis). Just a safety precaution, probably won't even use it).

shmoo: i take 3 shots a day, and last year on our lst eastern i took needles, insulin, meter and lancets w/ no problem. i have a letter from my doctor just in case, but have traveled 3 times since, and no one has ever questioned my supplies in the carry-on. hope to meet you in march (will it ever get here?):Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter