• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To better prepare for my next trip I am...

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
buying Disney Dollars here and there.

What are you doing different this time around?

I'm making money envelopes ahead of time. On each of my previous trips, I knew how much money I needed, but never divided it up into food money, souviner money, etc. This is the first time that I'm doing this.

Great thread! Who's next?

Okay, my turn. This time around I've bought each of us a new bag for toiletries and I'm packing them with travel size stuff all along. I'm also planning to get everyone extras of things like toothbrush, razor, etc. that will go straight into the bag. I'm trying to avoid all that last minute packing of things that you have to use one last time just before you leave.

Some of the other stuff:

Giving ds a few Disney Dollars all along for Valentine's, Easter, birthday, etc. so that he will be sure to have some souvenier money saved.

Taking more food for the room - the extra time and money for all that eating out has gotten old.

I'm going to pick up envelopes for film processing, fill them out ahead of time and take them with us. That way, at the end of each day, I can just drop my film into the envelopes and they will be ready to drop off at Walmart when we get home. (We pass right by there as we come into town anyway.)

Also, like Debi, I'm planning to get my money better organized this time - I'm making tip envelopes for mousekeeping & dividing ds's money so that he gets so much each day. I'm also thinking that we will get charging privileges on our room keys this time and just pay off at the end of each day.

Who's next? (And I agree, good thread.)
:)

Turning off the main water valve!!!! We had just asked the neighbor to keep an eye on the house....came home to a flood (line to ice maker broke) Spent the next 2 1/2 months in a hotel (not a pleasant way to spend the summer) while the house was being redone....

We use the envelope idea with a twist, meal money is put in for each day, at the end of that day if there is money left, it goes to the next envelope, and so on....

Like the disney dollar idea, think will add Disney dollars to each envelope for souveniers.

Also, I want to add Disney to my walking program. So many miles equals a reservation, so many more a PS, tour, etc. Want to go back in great shape!

kay

My DD is currently getting her weekly allowance in Disney $$ - started this right after Xmas so she'd have enough spending $$ in April at WDW. She'll also carry a small notebook in her fanny pack to track what she spends (how much, when, where, on what) so when she runs out of $$ she can't come crying to me for more, and she'll have a list to look back on (and decide whether or not her purchases ended up being worthwhile).

:)

This time, I'm actually being organized. In the past, I have never really had an itinerary and just ent with the flow of things. Piglet203 and I are going in May and we have already done a lot of planning, which I like. It allows us to make sure that we get to do everyting that we want in the time that we are there. We leave room for spontaneity, but having a thorough plan works better, as I have come to find.......thanks to my hunny. :)

Mickey76:)

Being that we're fortunate enough to be staying at a home-away-from-home resort (BWV) that includes a washer & dryer, we'll be able to pack less clothes than usual. The last time we stayed at the BWV it was so convenient to come back to the villa in the evening and throw a load of clothes in the washer/dryer. Since we are driving down this time, this should leave us plenty of room for souvenirs and not to be cramped......not to mention fireworks that I pick up in South Carolina on the way back!

The other item we're able to do is to take our laptop computer to download pictures from my wife's digital camera each day. This enable us (her) to take as many pictures as she wants while on vacation and not be limited by either film or the amount of space on the 'cards' for the digital camera. This is so convenient because my wife loves to take pictures.....it's not uncommon for her to come back with 600 - 700 pictures from a single trip!

I've started buying some Disney Dollars each month. It's like a little vacation savings account. We just got our first Deluxe Passporter!!!! The best planning device ever!! As soon as we get home from each trip, we make notes of what we should do differently the next time. If we don't do it while it's fresh in our minds, we often make the same mistake the next trip.;)

I'm kind of a strange person, I don't usually spend a whole lot of money while on vacation....I don't know why, I just don't. So, I'm going to buy several hundred dollars worth of Disney Dollars and use that to spend. I did that on my last trip to the World. I had about $200 worht and wound up spend it on the little suvi's that I normally wouldn't have. I feel like I'm not spending real money. And when you buy the Disney Dollars a little at a time it doesn't hurt the pocket book as much. I wind up spending a lot of money on eating out during the week while in school, so if I take the money I was going to spend on fast food and put it towards Disney Dollars I will have a few hundred....if not more.

steven

going to make myself walk more. In fact, I'd like to have the kids walk with me as well. Our first trip we really had a lot of fun but I did end up with blisters and even though I hate to admit it I was more than a little tuckered out by the end of the day. Thankfully I had moleskin with me (and yes, I was wearing my same shoes I wear at home). My husband is a man on the go so I really want to make sure I'm in tip top shape for our next trip which will hopefully be in December this year.

This time we are each taking a 26" roll-on bag to check thru.

Instead of a bunch of small suitcases.

Herc.

nothing different!

lol...i really cant think of anything that we did wrong last time..we have learned from our other trips

Hercamore,

Before buying a 26" rolling bag, check with your airline to make sure it'll be accepted as a carry-on. The airline we're flying said the carry-on dimensions are 21 x 15 x 9. Anything bigger and they'll make us valet check it at the gate.

We used the envelopes for our recent trip and they worked great!!

Only we did not transfer the money to the next days envelope. We budgeted high for everything, and when we had money left over the last day of the trip we went souvenir shopping like mad!!

It was great to tell the kids, "Yes, you can buy that," for a change.

We did put souvenirs into the budget as well, but it was nice to get a few extras for friends back home (as well as more for ourselves).

Good luck.

Lola

We are bringing snack and breakfast items with us this time. Also a cooler and drinks.

Love! the Disney Dollar idea for two DS's. Will also put to good use the envelope idea.

Also plan on bringing two rolls of quarters for games and penny presses and another for laundry (just in case).:bounce:

Actually, what I had done in the past is brought film envelopes with me to mail while I was there. I used a mail away film developing place, so as I finished a roll of film, I would stick it in the mailer and send it right from WDW. When I got home, many of my pictures were there waiting, or came within a couple of days. I also didn't have to worry about losing or ruining the film on the trip home.

Now we have a digital camera, so that isn't an issue any more.

We're bringing less with us! Last trip we had three cameras and a video camera. We are just bringing the digital and the video camera.

I'm DEFINITELY going to walk and walk and walk before our trip. The past three times, I have hobbled around after the first day. I started my walking program today. Only 53 more days to go!

This trip I want to carry=on a small suitcase. We usually just check everything, but we do not have a nonstop flight this time, and I want to keep a change of clothes with me.

Holly

I love the Walmart film envelope idea as well as the mail away envelopes! I may have to try those...thanks.

I'm bringing two pairs of walking sandals to let them breathe every other day. My old standby reefs and a new pair of Tevas...

Also, Voicestream cellular now has free roaming, so I am just bringing cell phones to stay in touch on the trip. With 2 14 year olds, I will rest easier...

Always use the Disney $$ idea. Just a few $$'s a week at home & when you're there it's just a little extra spending money. We use it for souvenirs, Mickey bars & extra treats in the parks.

Another tip - buy each child a fanny pack. Buy snack size ziploc bags. Pack with crackers, pretzels, dry cereal, etc. Holds the kids (& adults) over between meals & saves money in the parks instead of always stopping at a stand when someone is hungry. Bought water bottles that attach to the packs. Freeze them overnight & they are ice cold all day long. It's worked great each time we go - wouldn't go without them now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter