TIW, DDP or nothing, how do you decide?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We're a family of 4 about to start a year of 3 trips to Disney, lucky us!! We're DVCers and AP holders so we'll have some discounts available to us to start with. I'm trying to figure out what I should do about our dining situation.

Trip 1 is our family of four plus 4 in laws staying off site and two local in laws. The only definite dining reservations that I know we'll make this first trip is a ressie for 4 (possibly 6 if I can score one) at O'hana and a ressie for 4 at Yak and Yeti. Otherwise it's all up in the air, I have a lot of ressies made but no idea how many we'll make. The local in laws have APs, the 4 off site folks are only planning two days at Disney but can't commit to anything and won't till we are there. We're also going to be there during F&W so we'll eat there at least a couple of times and I imagine we'll eat off site several times.

Trip 2 is just our family of four, a quick add on after a wedding in Tampa, we'll be there for 1 full day, 1 almost full day and 1 short half day. We'll do two sit down meals, probably dinners, definitely one at O'hana. If we don't get a TIW card our first trip I'm considering doing the dining plan for this trip since it's so short and we'll be in a studio so no full kitchen for groceries like usual.

Trip 3 is another trip with a different set of in laws. They go yearly and always do the deluxe dining plan. While we won't do that, I'm positive we'll have one ADR a day with them and 90-100% of our meals will be on site. We always do breakfast in the room and then a sit down meal and a counter service meal. My kids are considered kids as far as Disney is concerned. We'll also have a rental car for all 3 trips.

WWYD? Any advice is appreciated! If we do Tables in Wonderland, I'm not sure if we'll hit the break even point until our 3rd trip, possibly 2nd depending on how many ADR's we make the first trip.

Thanks!

For my family, we've migrated pretty much to the TiW card and away from the DDP. We like the flexibility of using the TiW (i.e., having appetizers instead of desserts, not always having desserts, etc.). Plus it's getting harder and harder to make the DDP economically efficient. Currently, I figure that a QS meal credit is about $17.50, a snack is $4, and the remaining $37.50 is the TS credit. (I don't include the "value" of the refillable mug in my numbers.)

The break even point for an AP holder is $470 (pre-tax, pre-gratuity). Do you think you'd eat $470 worth of sit down meals in the span of one year? 'Ohana is $34 per adult and $17/child (dinner, non-peak season, pre-tax), so if you go twice, that's $204, or nearly half of what you'd need to get to the break even point.

One nice thing about the TiW is that you can use it for up to 10 people, so you can get the discount for your in-laws (as long as you're willing to pay the bill and get reimbursed by them later).

There are some black-out days and not all venues participate. I know Yak & Yeti does not take the TiW. The TiW is also good for alcoholic drinks (which are not included in DDP).

I think I would choose the TIW, especially if you plan to have any cocktails or wine.

Good luck deciding. Sounds like you have a busy year ahead of you.

:)

Come January, Ohana dinner is actually $40.46 for adults and $19.16 for kids (including tax), so two of those is $240 and even closer to your break even point for TiW.

With three trips in one year, I'd do TiW, no question.

Also, OP, you mentioned you have a lot of ADRs made, but you're not sure if you'll make them and it sounds like you may not know until the day of. Please be aware that Disney now charges a no-show fee for EVERY restaurant if you don't cancel at least by the day BEFORE.

allows us to eat how we want not how Disney wants us to. Sometimes we just want an app or two and a drink, sometimes we eat a full meal but RARELY do we eat deserts so these are not an inducement for us. Being flexible is the strong point plus the 20% off anything you order :)

If you are DVC and the some of the restaurants that do not participate in TIW will give you a discount with DVC.

We ate at La Hacienda and used out DVC because they do not accept TiW we were expecting a 10% discount and received a 20% with our DVC membership.

We really love our TiW and will use it from now on. So much freedom.
Speaking of new blackout dates - we will still use TiW we will not book restricted restaurants that are blackout. There are so many great restaurants on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter