TIW - calculating meal example

ilovediznee

Always planning our next trip home to Disney!!!
Hey! Really thinking of not doing DDP and purchasing TIW but never done it. I want to be sure of the math portion based on a bill of $100.00. Is the 20% or $20 in this example taken first for a new total of $80 and then is the tax based on the $80 (what is the tax again) and where does the tip get calculated?

If a math person would break it down for this non-math person, I would GREATLY appreciate it so I can do it for all my meals. I just want to be sure I am doing it right!!!

Thanks- Diane

a couple of things:
Are you able to purchase the TiW card? Florida resident, DVC member, AP?
While there is the 20% discount, there also is an automatic 18% gratuity added.
The free Valet parking is nice.
How many trips/days will you be at the park? We find if we aren't there for at least 2 weeks it is just barely worth it. It depends on what type of restaurants you eat at. Alcohol is also discounted in restaurants and most lounges.
The quick answer, if you don't have an AP, you need to spend about $750 on food/alcohol to break even. If you have an AP (10% discount at some places), the breakeven point is somewhere between $1250 and $1500 if you add in the 10% AP discount you would have had.

Thanks for the response. We are DVC members and I do plan to get it, but want to know the calculation for my meals with that example. I had one from a long time ago and cannot find it. It used $100 as an example and I believe took off the 20% which brings it down to $80 but I cannot remember the tax amount in WDW and if the tax was based on the $80 or the original $100 and same for the tip.

As I recall, they take the 20% off, add 6.5% tax and then the 18% gratuity. I think that is the correct order. Others can correct me if thats wrong.
So your example: $100 -$20 + 5.20 + 15.34=$100.54 with tax and gratuity.

That's great as your gratuity and tax are almost paid for! Thanks for your help! If anyone else sees it differently, please let us know!

Someone made a good point about the 18% gratuity. That really makes a difference, since we usually tip 20% on the total, including tax. We will add to the 18% tip if the service is exceptional though.

When Cheshire Figment was alive he would always post this example. He is sorely missed.

"Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly."

I have used Tables in Wonderland since it used to be called Disney Dining Experience, and we think it's about the best "deal" in Disney. Whenever we buy annual passes, we'll buy a TiW card. Since we love lounges, love to eat in signature restaurants and will usually stay off site, it's tailor made for us. I've had trips where I've used the card 30 times in a year, and it's usually paid for itself by the second meal. Heck, on my 40th birthday at California Grill, I was saving money by the end of the 1st night. The valet perk is fantastic as well.

Just remember, you can save 5% off the price paying with gift cards from Target or BJs too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter