• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tis' the season! What does your family call/use as the sick bucket

We have a different definition of "Sick bucket." DW and I are the infirmary for our DGDs (now 5 & 6 yrs. old.) Whenever they stay home from school/daycare they come here to recuperate. We have a tupperware type bin filled with little Dollar store trinkets, coloring books, puzzles,etc which is known as the sick bucket. If ya gotta be sick at least you get to choose an item from the "sick bucket" to divert the misery for a while.

With regards to the original question, usually some kind of plastic or mixing bowl. Haven't needed it for quite a while. At some point they get old enough to run to the bathroom.

Ours was called the barf bucket and it was just an empty ice cream pail (which was always thrown out post use). Now, we have a small Rubbermaid tote that we usually keep beside the sick persons bed. It’s never been used because we can all make it to a bathroom. It isn’t used for anything else so it would probably be bleached and reused if it ever got..used.

My son managed to throw up standing at the top of the stairs and hit almost every stair all the way down. His sister called it the waterfall effect! When we know he is sick he usually drags a towel behind him but that night was a horrible surprise.

AMAZON - 50 bags for under $22 no cleaning of a bucket, simple to use, twist it and secure it in a notch to close it/contain odors, simple to store, great when traveling! How do I know this??? ER nurse that has had 1000's of people using them :)

51Bu+P4VbqL._SL500_SS125_.jpg Emesis bag

We just use a stainless steel mixing bowl. It goes everywhere the sick person goes. Now that the kids are all older we don't use it anymore, they make the toilet, but it just went in the dishwasher when they were done with it.

We have a different definition of "Sick bucket." DW and I are the infirmary for our DGDs (now 5 & 6 yrs. old.) Whenever they stay home from school/daycare they come here to recuperate. We have a tupperware type bin filled with little Dollar store trinkets, coloring books, puzzles,etc which is known as the sick bucket. If ya gotta be sick at least you get to choose an item from the "sick bucket" to divert the misery for a while.

With regards to the original question, usually some kind of plastic or mixing bowl. Haven't needed it for quite a while. At some point they get old enough to run to the bathroom.

What a great idea, and fun distraction. I'm going to share that with our many nieces, and nephews with young children. Hope your dgd is feeling better.

Wash basins from the hospital.
I've had a few surgeries and get very ill from the anesthesia and they would always give me the tiny kidney shaped puke basin and lets just say it wasn't big enough.
My mom was a nurse and was able to snag a few of the nice big wash basins and then we also started requesting them as puke buckets when one of us had surgery.
We disinfect them afterwards.
I'd love to be the type that could just do it in the toilet and be rid of it with a flush but unfortunately when I'm sick it comes out both ends at the same time.
I'm always worried when I am not near a bathroom when I feel ill.
Not really funny but... funny this should come up today when my 9yr old niece was picked up from school early by my 19yr old niece because she didn't feel well and then she had to pull over and puke on the side of the road.

It's been a long time since any of us were sick in that way. My brother had some kidney stone issues that had him vomiting, but he made it to the toilet and never needed the trash bin with a plastic bag inside. We did pull it together just in case. When I'm feeling ill, I find the cold tile of the bathroom to be very soothing, so I'm fine with camping out on the floor there next to the toilet. Thankful that it is rare it happens, and once I've puked I feel better and generally don't again.

For whatever reason we really never throw up. I can only think once for my son when he had food poisoning and I remember just staying in the bathroom with him. For my daughter when her appendix acted up and I also remember being in the bathroom with her. My husband was sick in Mexico years ago and he was in the bathroom for hours. I have a lot of kidney stone issues and I throw up from that but just hang out in the bathroom. Now a couple of times the kids felt like they might throw up so I've given them a small garbage can from the bathroom with a liner but I don't think they've ever thrown up in it. There is a bathroom right by their bedrooms. Guess we're lucky that throwing up never happens much. Hope I don't jinx us by saying this.

Mainly the toilet. But when our kids were small (and when I was) we always kept a trash can with a plastic bag in it right next to the person who was sick. Kids, in particular tend to wait a little too long to get to the bathroom. It's been years since it's been an issue for any of us. Our 2DS are in their 30's and DH and I haven't really been sick in a very long time.

I'll never forget the time that we had been in our newly built house and my youngest DS was about 9. He woke up sick and didn't make it out of his bedroom. His comforter and the new carpet got it all. That was fun :-)

This isn't something our family really thinks about - most of us are rarely sick, and my son, who does get the pukes on occasion, always makes it to the toilet. I remember once leaving a regular plastic mixing bowl in my daughter's bed to save her having to get up, but she never needed it in the end.

I had the misfortune of twice in my life having it coming out both ends, but i just used the waste basket that stays next to the toilet - it's lined with plastic already anyway. It was weird - I didn't even feel sick, the puking part was the result of my insides turning themselves inside out trying to expel from the other end! (yeah sorry, TMI).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter