• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Tis the Season in Disneyland: A California Christmas *COMPLETED* (Feb. 2/Pg. 14)

Fairy_Tale_Bride

DIS Veteran
'Tis the Season in Disneyland: A California Christmas

DH & I were thrilled to be going to Disneyland for the second time! :yay: Our first trip to DL and my first trip to Cali was back in May for a whirlwind vacation for the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End World Premiere. pirate: It was my dream to always go to Disneyland, but the trip was very quick and busy. Plus, we didn't get to enjoy all the true Magic, since we were trapped staying at the Motel Hell. Yes, Johnny Depp did make up for it! :rotfl:

You can read my first Disneyland Trippie here:
For All Who Come to this Happy Place: My 1st Trip to DL for the POTC World Premiere!

I got hooked on Disneyland after our first visit and I wanted to go back as soon as possbile. So, we decided that we'd go back before years was over and enjoy the Holiday Season in Disneyland! :santa:

I called to make the reservations as soon as we picked the dates for our vacation and I knew we just had to stay on Disney Property. I really had my heart set on staying at the Disneyland Hotel. It is the first Disney Hotel ever and to know Walt had spent time thee as well, it was a must!

Sadly, the Disneyland Hotel was booked, except for a concierge level room that was double the price of a regular room. I went ahead and made reservations at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, atleast we would be on Disney Property. I was determined to get into the Disneyland Hotel, so I decided I'd call once a week to see if anything becam available.

It was a month before our vacation and I made my weekly phone call to Disneyland and found out there was a room available at the Disneyland Hotel overlooking the Neverland Pool! I was so excited! :banana: I just loved that pool when I saw it and only Disneyland Hotel guests have access to it. It was only a couple hundred dollars more for our stay there and I knew it would be worth it!

We were all set for our Disneyland Vacation!

California Vacation
December 8-17

Days at Disneyland
Disneyland Hotel
December 8-12

Dining Reservations
December 8
Wine Country Trattoria (Lunch)
Yamabuki (Dinner)

December 9
Carnation Cafe (Breakfast)
PCH Grill (Dinner)

December 10
Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill (Lunch)
Ariel’s Disney Princess Celebration at Ariel’s Grotto (Dinner)

December 11
Breakfast in the Park with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn (Breakfast)
Hook's Pointe (Dinner)

December 12
Steakhouse 55 (Breakfast)

We're Going to Disneyland!

December 8
We're going back to Cali!

Saturday morning came very early because out flight departed at 5:25 am! :eek: The alarm went off at 3:00 am and I had just fallen asleep around 2:00 am. I knew it was going to be an exciting day, but also a very long day!

We arrived at the Orlando International Airport around 4:00 am and went to park in the long-term parking. I knew check-in was going to be quite the experience with our seven bags and our kitten, Jax! :cat:

We were lucky enough to get a connecting flight through Charlotte, NC and my parents were going to be picking-up Jax at the airport. He was also going to have his own little vacation with his grandparents. :goodvibes

We were also going to be flying First Class from Charlotte to Los Angeles. I was so excited because it was my first time flying First Class and it was the perfect time, since we were flying from coast to coast. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at McDonald's as soon as it opened and then we boarded our plane to North Carolina.

Jax was just perfect on the flight! He loves traveling and he was a perfect little boy. :thumbsup2 We landed in Charlotte around 7:00 am and our next flight was leaving for LAX at 7:55 am, so we had a short period of time to get Jax to my parents. Luckily, we were able to meet near security and a very nice security guard transported Jax to them, so we didn’t have to go back through security. Jax was in good hands and now we were off to Cali! :woohoo:

We made it to our gate as soon as they began loading, so it worked out perfectly and we were the first to board the plane. DH & I were split-up in First Class and, of course, I got stuck next to a rude man, who thought he would just take over all of our leg room. Luckily, a very nice man switched seats for me, so DH & I could sit together. I was very thankful I got to sit next to DH for our long flight.

We enjoyed our flight and actually had a wonderful breakfast on board, while we watched the movie, Unaccompanied Minors. I slept for a little bit, but I can just never seem to sleep on a plane. I actually found it harder for me to sleep in the First Class seats because it was almost impossible to have my head against the plane. DH can sleep sitting-up, but that is impossible for me to do. :confused:

We arrived at LAX around 10:00 am, West Coast time! We were in Cali! :banana: We didn't have to wait long at all to get our luggage and then we were going to pick-up our rental car. We boarded the shuttle over to Avis, which was almost a 20-minute drive. It was so nice because the shuttle dropped us off and our car was ready to go! The keys were already in the ignition and we just had to load our luggage.

We were all set and now we just had to make that almost 45 minute drive to Disneyland in Anaheim! We started seeing the signs for Disneyland and I knew we were almost there! The directions were not too great once we got onto the Disneyland Resort Property, which isn't that large, but there were no signs! Luckily, we remembered where everything was, so we figured out how to get back to the Disneyland Hotel.

It was still quite early, but we were hoping we'd be able to check-in. We parked our car in the guest parking lot and made our way to the front desk. We decided we'd keep our luggage in the car, just in case we were not able to get a room yet.

We had made it! We were in Disneyland! :wizard:

n25002324_33260217_1190.jpg

n25002324_33260218_1449.jpg

Disneyland Hotel

We had a wonderful Cast Member check us in and we got our room overlooking the Neverland Pool with a king-sized bed. She handed us our room keys, free Disney Trading Pins, and our packet of Disneyland information and we were all set!

We made our way back to the car to grab all of our luggage and we made our way to the Dreams Building, where our room was located. I just love the Disneyland Hotel property and I could not wait to be able to enjoy all of it!

n25002324_33260226_4465.jpg

n25002324_33260227_4747.jpg

The elevator doors opened and we made a right down the hall to our room.

n25002324_33260228_5014.jpg

We entered our room and it was simply elegant. The rooms all have a Disneyland touch to them, but it is done in a very classy way. I just loved all the special Disneyland touches. The furniture was just amazing!

n25002324_33260243_8838.jpg

n25002324_33260244_9110.jpg

n25002324_33260245_9398.jpg

n25002324_33260248_286.jpg

n25002324_33260249_589.jpg

We couldn’t' t believe how tall the bed was and it was so comfortable. We may have had to jump to get into it, but it was so worth it, once our head hit the pillows. :rotfl:

n25002324_33260242_8540.jpg

n25002324_33260246_9683.jpg

I noticed a painting next to our bed and took a closer look at it. I quickly realized it was a picture of Pirates of the Caribbean in New Orleans Square. I just loved it and it couldn't have gotten any better for a POTC fan like me!

n25002324_33260247_9992.jpg

I opened our large windows that opened the small balcony area and there it was, the Neverland Pool! We had a perfect view and I was ready to begin our Magical Disney vacation!

n25002324_33260254_2090.jpg

n25002324_33260253_1785.jpg

ooh, new trippie! :banana: I love your trippies! You know, I've never stayed in the DLH so it's great to see your pics! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures...also if you managed to get a cheese stick at the corn dog castle this time... :)

Yeah :yay: I found another Lindsey trippie. I just went back & caught up on the last few pages of your last trippie & am so excited that you got to meet Samantha Brown (she has to have the all time best job EVA) & go to the Christmas parade taping.

When I watched the new Samantha Brown Holiday special & they were in the floral dept I seriously looked for you & thought to myself "how cool that I get to see where Lindsey works."

We are seriously thinking about California/Disneyland next fall for our vacation so I was very excited to see the Disneyland Hotel because that is where I was thinking we might stay. The room looks great!!!!!! I love the Grand Californian but it's alot more points & the Disneyland hotel has that nostalgia factor.

Can't wait for more.

P.S.........hope :santa: was good to you.

I made it! Wohooo I'm so excited you started your next trippie! :banana: :banana: Thats awesome you guys got to fly first class. I can never sleep on planes either. Ugh the plane flight to Paris was awful! We left 5:35pm out of Boston and made it to Paris 6:30am their time so we had the whole day. We could not sleep at all on the plane so it sucked when we got there with no sleep and had the whole day with no sleep (well in reality it was 2 days.) Next time I'm taking a sleeping pill :lmao:

How lucky that your weekly phone calls worked out! What an amazing view you guys had, that pool is beautiful! Ohh and I love that tink wallpaper border.:goodvibes

Looking forward to more, you always have the best trippies!

I am in, too. I love your pics already! Where did you write about Samantha Brown? I want to be her! :love:

:cool1: Another TR from Lindsey- my favorite! Can't wait to read more!

YAY!!!! Hi Lindsey!!
I'm so happy to be in on your new trippie right from the beginning! I would LOVE to go to DL some day. But for now I live vicariously through you. Thanks for letting me, BTW.;)
I absolutely LOVE the glove light in the bathroom. Soo cute! And I'm very glad to see that you got a MUCH better hotel than last time. :thumbsup2

Waiting for more....
Lesley

So what do you do mere hours before you leave for your own WDW vacation....look to see if any awesome Lindsey trippies are around of course.

Lindsey, the pics from Disneyland hotel are great. it looks awesome there.

I'm glad I'll have something to look forward to when I return from WDW -- another one of your amazing trippies!!!

Great TR so far. :goodvibes Can't wait to read more. It's always very interesting to read TR from DLR since we live here and don't have the same experience since we never stay on-property. How funny that you travel from FL to CA and we travel from CA to FL. :rotfl2: Waiting to hear more.

Just a quick note about the Disneyland Hotel...if you want to try it, you better do it soon, because they are going to refurb the entire thing. It is so old, it needs to be refurbed, BUT I will cry if they take away the Disney theming and make it just another hotel. The DL Hotel is the only Disney Hotel with absolute Disney theming everywhere! Disney is everywhere, even on the bedspreads (which we were lucky enough to purchase one of this trip:lovestruc ) I LOVE the rooms and the whole grounds. I truly hope they keep the midcentury modern style and all the Disney touches. If you have never been to DL or stayed at the DL Hotel, I HIGHLY recommend doing it! The hotel will not be the same soon. I believe they will be doing it building by building and it will start sometime this year. So go now, or you won't get to see one of the most magical pieces of Disney history. We go to DL at least 2-3 times a yr and ALWAYS stay in the DL Hotel on the concierge level, Dreams Tower because the service is superb and the view from the 10th and 11th floors towards the resort and DtD are spectacular and you get to watch fireworks from your window. If you get an inner room you will be overlooking the Neverland Pool, which is very inviting.
Sorry off topic, just wanted to let everyone know that they need to see the DL Hotel before it changes forever!!!!!!
Ariel

YEAH, a new Lindsey trippie, can't wait to read all of it!!!:goodvibes

Just a quick note about the Disneyland Hotel...if you want to try it, you better do it soon, because they are going to refurb the entire thing. It is so old, it needs to be refurbed, BUT I will cry if they take away the Disney theming and make it just another hotel. The DL Hotel is the only Disney Hotel with absolute Disney theming everywhere! Disney is everywhere, even on the bedspreads (which we were lucky enough to purchase one of this trip:lovestruc ) I LOVE the rooms and the whole grounds. I truly hope they keep the midcentury modern style and all the Disney touches. If you have never been to DL or stayed at the DL Hotel, I HIGHLY recommend doing it! The hotel will not be the same soon. I believe they will be doing it building by building and it will start sometime this year. So go now, or you won't get to see one of the most magical pieces of Disney history. We go to DL at least 2-3 times a yr and ALWAYS stay in the DL Hotel on the concierge level, Dreams Tower because the service is superb and the view from the 10th and 11th floors towards the resort and DtD are spectacular and you get to watch fireworks from your window. If you get an inner room you will be overlooking the Neverland Pool, which is very inviting.
Sorry off topic, just wanted to let everyone know that they need to see the DL Hotel before it changes forever!!!!!!
Ariel

Are there any dates on this in print, I would really like to know as we are planning a big trip next Dec. and were going to splurge on the DLH, but would hate to spend all that money and have it not be nice, any help or any website stating dates, etc. Thanks.:goodvibes

California Adventure

We had reservations over in California Adventure at Wine Country Trattoria for 12:00 pm and I don't know what I was thinking when I booked those! :rotfl: We pretty much finished unpacking around that time and we were exhausted, but still hungry. We decided we'd see if we could still make it for lunch.

I just loved being able to walk to everything so quickly from the Disneyland Hotel. It was just great! You walk right under Mickey's sorcerer hat and you are in Downtown Disney!

n25002324_33260255_2398.jpg

I just love Disneyland's Downtown Disney! It's smaller than the one in WDW, but to me it's just nicer and classier. I just love all the smells of the wonderful food and the shops there are just fabulous! I knew I had to do some shopping later. ;)

We made it through to the other side of Downtown Disney, where the security check is for you to enter either of the theme parks. We made our way to the right to go to Disney's California Adventure. It was so cute because all the letters in "California" were done as candy canes.

n25002324_33260256_2703.jpg

n25002324_33260258_3303.jpg

It was quite chilly outside, but DH & I were too tired to change from our sandals and Crocs, so everyone quickly realized we weren't from around here. :rotfl: The Cast Members made sure to point that out to us! We arrived to the Vineyard area and to Wine Country Trattoria. We were only one hour late for our reservation. :rotfl2:

n25002324_33260257_3004.jpg

The CM was really nice and she still had our name pulled out to the side and said it was better late than never! We got seated pretty quickly and it was then that we realized how cold it was in California! The restaurant had all of the doors open and we were only seated a couple feet away. I was so glad I packed all my winter shoes and coats. I knew I was going to need them!

The restaurant was very quaint and definitely had an Italian feel to it. Of course, we went through two servings of bread sticks within minutes!

47b7cc09b3127cceb2ea8eb4571c00000025101AaMWrNw3aMW

I decided to warm up with some broccoli & cheese soup first. Our lunch was good and we had your typical Italian food, spaghetti & meatballs and vegetable lasagna.

Originally, my plan was to stay at California Adventure the rest of the day and it was going to be spent as one of our theme park days, since we pretty much had the entire day. But, the lack of sleep and the time change were not working on our side. We decided we'd go back and enjoy that nice warm Disneyland bed in our lovely room. It was naptime!

We had smelled the most delicious kettle corn, while we were walking through Downtown Disney and DH just had to get some! We got hooked on it and knew it was going to become a part of our routine every time we walked back to the hotel. :rotfl2: It was just simply delicious and the best we've ever had!

n25002324_33260259_3608.jpg

We made it back up to our room and turned the TV to ABC Family, a Classic Holiday Shows Marathon was on. We didn't get to watch too much of it before we were crashed. I woke up and a couple hours later and looked out or window. The sun was still out and I then noticed some people in ponchos. I thought that was odd and thought maybe they just didn't have any warm jackets with them. :rotfl: I realized it was pouring down rain! You couldn't even tell because it was still sunny and it hadn't looked like it was going to rain at all. :confused3

Luckily, we were nice and warm in our room. I decided I'd start unpacking, since DH was still asleep and I hadn't unpacked anything yet. I had a lot of luggage to go through. I was taking my time and I had also made a few phone calls to the family, but DH was still asleep! We had reservations at Yamabuki at Disney's Paradise Pier for dinner at 6:00 pm, but I knew there was no way we'd be able to make it. I called Disneyland Reservations and I was able to change our reservation to 8:15 pm, so we wouldn't be in a rush to make it over there. It had been a few hours by this point and I had to wake him up. I thought it would be nice for us to spend some time over at Paradise Pier in California Adventure before we went over to the hotel next door for dinner.

I woke DH up and we changed into our winter clothes because we knew it was going to be cold outside and luckily the rain had stopped. The ground was still pretty wet and all that did was make it colder.

First, we did some exploring around the Disneyland Hotel. I always have to go checkout the gift shop and the quick-bite spots. The lobby was so pretty and quaint. I loved the mural of Sleeping Beauty's Castle that was at the entrance.

n25002324_33260260_3924.jpg

n25002324_33260261_4227.jpg

I am still shocked by the weather in California! It was cold and windy our entire trip. I haven't been in California with warm weather yet! It did make it nice for December though and it really did help to make it feel like Christmas. It's a total change from the weather in Florida.

We made our way to California Adventure for the second time today and we saw that Santa Claus and a few of the Disney characters were all out front at Santa's Beach Blast. We just had to go meet this Cali Santa!

n25002324_33260262_4534.jpg

Then, I ran into Goofy! He was so cute in his Christmas themed beachwear!
n25002324_33260263_4841.jpg

We had just about over an hour to kill before we needed to start our walk over to the Paradise Pier Hotel, so we decided we'd spend our time over at the old carnival themed rides at Paradise Pier. We had so much fun over there last time and this time we got to enjoy it in the dark with all of the lights. DH & I just love the Orange Stinger and the Sun Wheel rides!

n25002324_33260264_5144.jpg

We managed to ride all of the rides over at Paradise Pier, except for California Screamin' before it was time for us to call it a night at California Adventure. The Paradise Pier Hotel was right next-door, but the only way to get there was to leave the park through the entrance or we could have tried cutting through the Grand Californian Hotel. It was a longer walk than we had realized and after the walk, we were sure glad we managed to get reservations at the Disneyland Hotel. We walked around through the Paradise Pier Hotel before realizing that Yamabuki's entrance was actually located out in front of the hotel.

n25002324_33260266_5781.jpg

We checked-in and we were asked if we'd like to have dinner in the tradition Japanese dining room. Of course, we said yes! I have never been able to eat on the floor without my shoes on before, so this sounded good to me! The dining room was so neat and it was a great way to relax before the evening was over.

n25002324_33260280_4353.jpg

n25002324_33260276_3269.jpg

I had hot tea at almost all of our meals in Disneyland because it was helping to keep me warm and this was the best Mango tea I've ever had!
n25002324_33260277_3540.jpg

The food was fantastic and we had a wonderful server too. The servers have to take their shoes on and off every time they enter the dining room. I know that would have to get annoying after awhile!

n25002324_33260278_3802.jpg

n25002324_33260279_4081.jpg

We stepped out of the dining room and put our shoes back on before leaving to go back to the Disneyland Hotel. It was a fun first day in Disneyland and now it was time to get some more rest because the next morning was going to come very early! I couldn't wait! :banana:

ooh, new trippie! :banana: I love your trippies! You know, I've never stayed in the DLH so it's great to see your pics! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures...also if you managed to get a cheese stick at the corn dog castle this time... :)

Awwww....thanks a bunch!
Oh no! I didn't get a cheese stick! :eek:
I did get a Mint Julep this time and Apple Fritters! :yay:

Yeah :yay: I found another Lindsey trippie. I just went back & caught up on the last few pages of your last trippie & am so excited that you got to meet Samantha Brown (she has to have the all time best job EVA) & go to the Christmas parade taping.

When I watched the new Samantha Brown Holiday special & they were in the floral dept I seriously looked for you & thought to myself "how cool that I get to see where Lindsey works."

We are seriously thinking about California/Disneyland next fall for our vacation so I was very excited to see the Disneyland Hotel because that is where I was thinking we might stay. The room looks great!!!!!! I love the Grand Californian but it's alot more points & the Disneyland hotel has that nostalgia factor.

Can't wait for more.

P.S.........hope :santa: was good to you.

Yay...and it just started! :yay:

I was thrilled to meet Samantha Brown! She was so sweet and we were all so excited at work. It made our day! :goodvibes

That's so neat that you were thinking of me! I've only seen part of the new Holiday Special and I actually just came across it when we were hanging in our hotel room in CA.

That would be so great if you got to go to Disneyland! You will love it! :banana: I really like the Grand Californian too. It's beautiful and a lot like the Wilderness Lodge, but I love the Disneyland Hotel because of the nostalgia feel and because it is the first. It has Walt all over it! :goodvibes

Happy New Year!

I made it! Wohooo I'm so excited you started your next trippie! :banana: :banana: Thats awesome you guys got to fly first class. I can never sleep on planes either. Ugh the plane flight to Paris was awful! We left 5:35pm out of Boston and made it to Paris 6:30am their time so we had the whole day. We could not sleep at all on the plane so it sucked when we got there with no sleep and had the whole day with no sleep (well in reality it was 2 days.) Next time I'm taking a sleeping pill :lmao:

How lucky that your weekly phone calls worked out! What an amazing view you guys had, that pool is beautiful! Ohh and I love that tink wallpaper border.:goodvibes

Looking forward to more, you always have the best trippies!

I am glad I finally have some time to sit-down and write me Trippie! :yay:

Uggghhh...I can't even imagine being on a plan that long! I've made it coast to coast and that's enough for me! :rotfl: This time we had connections every time, so that made it even longer.

I just loved being able to look out over the Neverland Pool, it really felt like you were in Neverland. Oh, you just gotta love Tink in the room and all the hidden Disneyland touches. I loved all the rides that were actually hidden in the bed comforter. Characters were all hiding in the Victorian themed wallpaper in the bathroom too! :goodvibes

I am in, too. I love your pics already! Where did you write about Samantha Brown? I want to be her! :love:

Thanks! :goodvibes I'm glad you are here!
You can check out my last TR to read where I wrote about Samantha Brown.
The link is in my siggy.
I didn't write too much about it because it was a quick encounter at work, but it is there! :thumbsup2

:cool1: Another TR from Lindsey- my favorite! Can't wait to read more!

You are too sweet! :goodvibes Glad you made it and more is on the way!

I've been waiting for this one!!

It's here! :banana:

Oooh!! Another fun trip report. I loved every bit of your other one.

I'm so glad that this time you were not subjected to another hotel hell, and your perseverance paid off for the DLH. We stayed there for the first time last June and loved it too.

I need to read your WDW TR, and find out about your job, and Samatha Brown. :confused3 She seems nice.

Ok............you can write more now.:surfweb: :rotfl:

Hi Lindsay! I'm just a little late for the party but glad to see I made it! :) Looking forward to more!

YAY!!!! Hi Lindsey!!
I'm so happy to be in on your new trippie right from the beginning! I would LOVE to go to DL some day. But for now I live vicariously through you. Thanks for letting me, BTW.;)
I absolutely LOVE the glove light in the bathroom. Soo cute! And I'm very glad to see that you got a MUCH better hotel than last time. :thumbsup2

Waiting for more....
Lesley

You are so welcome! :goodvibes
I hope you get to make it to DL one day! It's worth the trip!

It was still hard for me to believe that we were in DL and we could sleep in a bed we were not scared of :scared1: :rotfl:

So what do you do mere hours before you leave for your own WDW vacation....look to see if any awesome Lindsey trippies are around of course.

Lindsey, the pics from Disneyland hotel are great. it looks awesome there.

I'm glad I'll have something to look forward to when I return from WDW -- another one of your amazing trippies!!!

Haha! I am so glad this was the kick-off to your WDW vacation! :banana:

You are here right now! :yay: I can't wait to hear all about your trip! I'm sorry that we will probably miss each other. I know you'll be busy at Epcot tomorrow. :goodvibes

Happy New Year!!!

Great TR so far. :goodvibes Can't wait to read more. It's always very interesting to read TR from DLR since we live here and don't have the same experience since we never stay on-property. How funny that you travel from FL to CA and we travel from CA to FL. :rotfl2: Waiting to hear more.

Thanks! :goodvibes
I love being the newbie over in Disneyland!
I've been going to WDW ever since I was born, so it's neat to have a new experience with DL!

Ariel

I had no idea! :eek: I am even happier now that I had the chance to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. :) I'm sure there will be a hint of Disney and Hidden Mickeys here and there, much like the resorts at WDW. I really enjoy the Disneyland Hotel because it is all Disneyland and Disney themed. It makes it classic and there are so many memories in there. You can just feel it when you're there. I'm glad I got to be there! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter