• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TIPS: Star Wars Weekends 2011

Thanks MelissathePooh, RedM94,delmar411 and bizeemom4 for your great reports. I'm stuck in the house today and am itching to go but I'll be there tomorrow at 7:45 to take in the last day.
Great to hear that again this year they have discounted items at Jabba's, I've not bought anything waiting for this, I hope that on top of the 40% they still honor the CM discount (we'll see about that one).
Ray is always great and always a headache for the CM runing his line. The CM try to get as much people in but Ray just likes taking his time with everyone.
Glad everyone got to do what they wanted (JTA, PMC, ST, Hoopla)
I heard from a friend that went yesterday that at 9am they were letting the cars park without paying for parking trying to get everyone in as fast as possible, that's when you know it's packed, when Disney decides to lose $14 per vehicle so that there isn't major traffic jams on the streets.

:thumbsup2 Awesome! DR said he ran into you guys yesterday morning and you were nailing it! So glad you had fun! We've slept in a whole hour this morning:rotfl2: going to see Ashley one last time - the kids just love her!

Yes, we ran into him signing up for the Padwan mind challenge. I think we were behind you both for Ashley's session today. My contacts were completly dried out and I couldn't see a thing.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Help!! Just when I thought it was over!! :rotfl2:

Tomorrow my DS and I were going to spend the day at EPCOT. After getting Ashley Eckstein's autograph he decided that he wants to go back tomorry to get James Arnold Taylor so he has all five autographs on his poster.

We were going to sleep in tomorrow. I didn't take notice to his line this morning or yesterday morning.

Any adive on what time we need to be in line for James? I noticed he is only doing one session.

We had another awesome day. I will post a mini TR a little later.

Tomorrow my DS and I were going to spend the day at EPCOT. After getting Ashley Eckstein's autograph he decided that he wants to go back tomorry to get James Arnold Taylor so he has all five autographs on his poster.

We were going to sleep in tomorrow. I didn't take notice to his line this morning or yesterday morning.

Any adive on what time we need to be in line for James? I noticed he is only doing one session.

JAT should be fairly easy, I would be there around 7:15 to 7:30.

We got there right around 7am. I was going to look for you and both of my kids started whining :headache: They're worn out and were really grumpy. I feel badly for getting them up so early, but I know in the end it would have been worse if we had missed it. MH threw quite a fit.

You should be fine for JAT if you get there around 7 or so. SWW really does get addictive :rotfl2: You start to want to get complete "collections" of autographs.

Yul - we were able to get our AP discount on top of the mark down at Jabba's today. Don't know if that would apply to CM's as well, but we got to stack it.

Sadly we're done. We got every celebrity, every character (which was exhausting) and saw all the shows except JAT's. I have to admit people who do voice impersonations kind of freak me out. Although I love JAT. He was a tremendous host and gracious man.

So - we're done for this year. Today ended up being one of our best days despite the grumpy start :rotfl: We worked the Mickey line like crazy to get R2MK and Darth Goofy. The CM wasn't as helpful facilitating people who needed/wanted to see certain characters today.

Here's the best part though. As we were sitting waiting for Wicket to come out JAT walks out of the path there. Holden hollers out "Hi, Mr. Taylor!" We were sitting behind El Diablo and JAT couldn't see where it came from so he peaked around and Holden was sitting there waving and told him hello again. JAT was just laughting and said "Well, Hello! Hey would you like a light saber?" Holden jumped up and JAT got a pen from his handler and signed the light saber!!! :thumbsup2

Holden was over the top! He went on to sign a few other things for folks in the line before heading off. Such a nice guy! Holden had Ashley Eckstein sign the same light saber too. It definitely made the weekend special!

I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!! Its been great - until next year, MTFBWY!

We had another awesome day. Even though we got pushed, proded and taken advantage of while watching the parade today. We still had a great time.

I felt really bad for the woman who was sitting next to my son and I. Her daughter had Downs and was really enjoying the parade. After about six kids were pushed by therir parents through the crowd in front of my son and her daughter, she finally gave up and just left.

Jobba's Hutt was really crazy today. We bought some T-shirts at $10.00 off. I was thrilled that they still gave us the discount for pass holders on top of the sale price.

Friday when we were in the Jobba's, I was looking at the cell art of Mickey Skywalker balancing Stitch Yoda on his foot. The person told me it was limited to 300 and that it was the last one. I passed on it and the person behind me bought it. There were also a display of black boxes that said passholder only. I"m not sure what the black boxes had in them. I think they may have been pens.

Today, there was another Stitch Yoda Mickey Skywalker print on display. My son said look Dad they got more in. The guy behind the table looked at me and said he had five left. I said the person yesterday tried to sell me "the very last one." He went in the back and then came out and said I have five left. He saw the puzzled look on my face and then said, "I have number 16 if 100 in the back if you want it." :confused3 I said the guy yesterday told me it was limited to 300 pieces. He said nope, there were only 100 of these made.

I then asked him about the passholder only items. He said they sold out early last weekend. I said there was a whole stack of them yesterday on this table. He said, "Oh, um, we had someone return a bunch of them yesterday. :lmao:

Ashley and Tom were awesome signing autographs for my son today. My son purchased a matted Star Wars Weekend 2011 Logo art at $10.00 discount on Friday. The only autograph he needs is James Arnold. Since we are going back to DHS tomorrow, he is going to try to have it autographed by Greg and Casy the logo artists.

Have a great night everyone. Hope to see you all tomorrow.

We got there right around 7am. I was going to look for you and both of my kids started whining :headache: They're worn out and were really grumpy. I feel badly for getting them up so early, but I know in the end it would have been worse if we had missed it. MH threw quite a fit.

You should be fine for JAT if you get there around 7 or so. SWW really does get addictive :rotfl2: You start to want to get complete "collections" of autographs.

Yul - we were able to get our AP discount on top of the mark down at Jabba's today. Don't know if that would apply to CM's as well, but we got to stack it.

Sadly we're done. We got every celebrity, every character (which was exhausting) and saw all the shows except JAT's. I have to admit people who do voice impersonations kind of freak me out. Although I love JAT. He was a tremendous host and gracious man.

So - we're done for this year. Today ended up being one of our best days despite the grumpy start :rotfl: We worked the Mickey line like crazy to get R2MK and Darth Goofy. The CM wasn't as helpful facilitating people who needed/wanted to see certain characters today.

Here's the best part though. As we were sitting waiting for Wicket to come out JAT walks out of the path there. Holden hollers out "Hi, Mr. Taylor!" We were sitting behind El Diablo and JAT couldn't see where it came from so he peaked around and Holden was sitting there waving and told him hello again. JAT was just laughting and said "Well, Hello! Hey would you like a light saber?" Holden jumped up and JAT got a pen from his handler and signed the light saber!!! :thumbsup2

Holden was over the top! He went on to sign a few other things for folks in the line before heading off. Such a nice guy! Holden had Ashley Eckstein sign the same light saber too. It definitely made the weekend special!

I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!! Its been great - until next year, MTFBWY!

JAT is amazing!! Sad you missed his show it's truly inspirational and entertaining, I bet you can find it on youtube somewhere, he's sooo great. Thanks for the info on the discount, I'll be there at 8am tomorrow and am planning on recording as much as possible. So sad it's almost over...I can feel the SWW withdrawals creeping up....but happy that alot of people had fun!! I'll be wearing my sww studioscentral white t-shirt with my jedi mickey cap, my daughter will have her universe red Padme t-shirt and SWW 2010 logo cap.

Forgot to say that when we left last night, there was a woman sleeping on a blow up bed at the bag check. I guess she really wanted her FP for the celebrity of her choice this morning. I'll post a pic.

I can't wait to see the photo!!! Standing inline yesterday I was told that last weekend DHS wheeled out one of those pool side movie screens and showed movies to those who were standing in line. I was also told that they opened a snack stand to sell food to the overnighters.

It is great to hear from a Pennsylvania neighbor during SWW.

Good night all! Hope to see you in the morning!!!

Just want to thank all who have been posting info here. We are back in the "real world" now but got a chance to visit SWW today before we left and I was so glad that I was armed with all the great info.

Originally, I was going to have us get there for the 8 am "unannounced" opening. But, seeing as how we were up early and then at MK late yesterday, I wanted to let everyone sleep in. So, we had a nice leisurely breakfast, swam in the pool and then headed to the Studios at around 11:30.

My DW took DD3 and let my DS8 and I go off and "play". :) First stop was Jabba's which, really wasn't all that crowded when we got there. DS made his own light saber and I got that for him. Saw Threepio out but didn't wait in line for him. After that, we went to where the characters were supposed to be out. I soon realized, though, that they must all have been getting ready for the parade because none were out. It was around 12:15/12:20 so that made sense. Asked DS8 if he wanted to go watch the parade and he did of course. So, around 12:30 we lined up to view. We actually had a pretty good view considering how last minute we lined up. Granted, I'm 6' 6" and he is tall for his age but still, we were not that far back.

After the parade (which we both enjoyed) we had lunch at Hollywood and Vine.

After lunch, we wanted to see some SW characters so we went to the areas I knew would have some (again, thanks to this thread!! :goodvibes )

DS told me he would most like to meet Vader, Luke or Anakin. I told him that probably wouldn't happen since the lines would be too long but we'd get what we could. He understood and was very happy when we saw jawas, sandpeople clone and storm troopers and got pictures with all of them. This would have been a success but then we got in one more line - the one for Jedi Council. It was Mace Windu and Kit Fisto together. Unfortunately, Kit Fisto had to leave just before it was our turn....but guess who showed up?? ANAKIN!! So we got pictures with both Anakin and Mace!!! AWESOME!! They were great too as they asked him about his training and his light saber. And, Anakin showed him the right way to hold it. He was on Cloud 9.

Great way to end our short time there. Had to meet up with the girls at that point so we could get to the airport.

Hopefully, we will get to go again some day when we have more time but we were really happy with what we got to do this afternoon.

Glad to read everyone had great days! I'm sad that I wasn't able to get to SWW this year, but reading all of your reports was awesome. I will be going for sure next year, considering the fact I'm going to do the College Program meaning I'll be able to go to SWW quite often!

And I found a good quality version of JAT's show online, it is very entertaining and I hope her returns as a SWW host next year so I can meet him!

Here is the video if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cHxVLgqhLA

We are getting ready to head out to sww! The boys still have no idea! We are going to tell them while waiting for the bus

Well all good things must come to an end. My DS and I just finished our first ever SWW.

We got in line for JTA at 6:45 am this morning and received two of the last guaranteed autograph spots. My son purchased a mini matted version of the logo poster. He has all five star wars stars autographs and Casey Jones and Greg McCollough’s autograph. He wants to have it framed along with his five fast passes.

Today was the first time we were in the same line together. JAT was really awesome with my son. I didn’t use my fast pass to get an autograph. I just went in to be with my son. As we were leaving there was a large group for “stand by.” I saw this one very disappointed looking son with his Mom. I gave my fast past to his mom for him to use and he was thrilled. It was nice to see his face light up when she showed the fast pass to him.

We met a lot of great people this weekend. It was nice to see many of the same faces standing in line every morning. I looked for the Meece Family and El Diablo this morning even though I knew they were leaving today. I also looked everywhere for yulilin3 and her daughter but could not connect.

One of the most fascinating people we met this weekend was a woman in her early 60’s. As my son and I went to grab a table for lunch, she and I went for the same table. She apologized and started looking for another table in the shade. I said to her that it was just my son and I and that we could share the table. She said with us and we began to talk. As it turned out, she and her husband have attended every single day of every SWW up until this year. She said that they have had enough of sleeping in lined every night for autographs. They would rent a hotel room but never sleep in it. They would use the room to keep their stuff and shower every day.

The stories she told us would fill an entire post. She told us a story how the 501st garrison was going to fly at their own expense to visit a 10 year old girl who was a SWW fanatic undergoing leukemia treatment. The young girl passed away before they arrive. They then flew in to be pall bearers in full uniform.

She also told me all about Mrs. Luke Skywalker and how the CM’s look after her. It really is an awesome story in that there are a lot of really good people in the world. The best part of all is how the director of the cloan wars knew of her and found out that she couldn’t afford to purchase her annual pass last year. He paid to renew her annual pass.

Yes, I know that it might sound like one giant urban legend, but it was a phenomenal weekend!!! My son looked at me today and said “Dad, when we come next year……..” He didn’t say can we come next year. LOL

Thanks again to everyone I have met on this thread and those we have met online for autograph fast passes at DHS. Without your advice, tips, and tricks, this weekend could not have been possible.

We fly out late tomorrow. My DS wants to go to DHS and ride Star Tours as many times as he can before we have to leave for the airport. Today I was pictured as the rebel spy. I thought my son was going to jump out of his seat when he saw me on the screen. I have more fun watching and listening to him during the ride than I do watching the screen.

We hope to see everyone again next year.

We had a GREAT time at SWW yesterday. It was just my dh, my almost 7 year old Star Wars FREAK and I. We were there for 15 hours but still didn't get all I had hoped for done. Got there at 7:30 and had a perfect view of the Storm Troopers opening and then high tailed it over to get him signed up for the Jedi Training, got the 2nd show of the day. In the mean time we went on our first ride of the day of Star Tours (son LOVED it) and then went back to get in line for Darth Vador.. the line was still fairly short at 8:45am and he came out at 9am. He signed Ian's light sabor which he is thrilled out. Headed back to the meeting place for Jedi training at 9:25 for the 9:45 show. Ian loved that he got to fight Ventress and he was trained by Ahsoka who I believe my little guy has quite the crush on. After training we went on Star Tours for the second time. Finished there and took a ride on Toy Story Mania. Left TSM and headed to Jabbas Hut where we saw R2D2 and C3po and did a little shopping. Then it was time to get a spot for the parade which we really enjoyed. My son was amazed when Bobo Fett shook his hand and Ashley Eckstein saw his birthday pin and wished him Happy Birthday. We then saw American Idol, went on Star Tours trip number 3 and headed over to Epcot for a few hours and came back to DHS in time to meet Queen Amadalia and watch the Hoopla which was so crowded we gave up and watched from the AI screen which was PERFECT, we all LOVED the show. Finished the night by trip 4 on Star Tours and trip 2 on Toy Story Mania and completed with Fantastmic. It was my son's first time seeing it and he was absolutely amazed, I think watching him was even better then watching the show. His mouth would drop or he would mouth Oh My Gosh. We were in the park for 15 hours yesterday and were absolutely exhausted but had an amazing time.

Oh and how could I forget the biggest part....

Ian started talking to a castmember and she went to the back office and came back with a Disney bag. Inside were the pictures they were using for the autograph session and there was one from every star from every weekend... and they are all signed! We just moved and he wants his new room to be Star Wars themed so I am going to frame them all and put them in the room. At first I figured they must be copies but they are the real deal.... Ian was absolutely speechless.

Oh and how could I forget the biggest part....

Ian started talking to a castmember and she went to the back office and came back with a Disney bag. Inside were the pictures they were using for the autograph session and there was one from every star from every weekend... and they are all signed! We just moved and he wants his new room to be Star Wars themed so I am going to frame them all and put them in the room. At first I figured they must be copies but they are the real deal.... Ian was absolutely speechless.

Now that is an awesome story!!! This is what makes visiting WDW so special.

Well all good things must come to an end. My DS and I just finished our first ever SWW.

We got in line for JTA at 6:45 am this morning and received two of the last guaranteed autograph spots. My son purchased a mini matted version of the logo poster. He has all five star wars stars autographs and Casey Jones and Greg McCollough’s autograph. He wants to have it framed along with his five fast passes.

Today was the first time we were in the same line together. JAT was really awesome with my son. I didn’t use my fast pass to get an autograph. I just went in to be with my son. As we were leaving there was a large group for “stand by.” I saw this one very disappointed looking son with his Mom. I gave my fast past to his mom for him to use and he was thrilled. It was nice to see his face light up when she showed the fast pass to him.

We met a lot of great people this weekend. It was nice to see many of the same faces standing in line every morning. I looked for the Meece Family and El Diablo this morning even though I knew they were leaving today. I also looked everywhere for yulilin3 and her daughter but could not connect.

One of the most fascinating people we met this weekend was a woman in her early 60’s. As my son and I went to grab a table for lunch, she and I went for the same table. She apologized and started looking for another table in the shade. I said to her that it was just my son and I and that we could share the table. She said with us and we began to talk. As it turned out, she and her husband have attended every single day of every SWW up until this year. She said that they have had enough of sleeping in lined every night for autographs. They would rent a hotel room but never sleep in it. They would use the room to keep their stuff and shower every day.

The stories she told us would fill an entire post. She told us a story how the 501st garrison was going to fly at their own expense to visit a 10 year old girl who was a SWW fanatic undergoing leukemia treatment. The young girl passed away before they arrive. They then flew in to be pall bearers in full uniform.

She also told me all about Mrs. Luke Skywalker and how the CM’s look after her. It really is an awesome story in that there are a lot of really good people in the world. The best part of all is how the director of the cloan wars knew of her and found out that she couldn’t afford to purchase her annual pass last year. He paid to renew her annual pass.

Yes, I know that it might sound like one giant urban legend, but it was a phenomenal weekend!!! My son looked at me today and said “Dad, when we come next year……..” He didn’t say can we come next year. LOL

Thanks again to everyone I have met on this thread and those we have met online for autograph fast passes at DHS. Without your advice, tips, and tricks, this weekend could not have been possible.

We fly out late tomorrow. My DS wants to go to DHS and ride Star Tours as many times as he can before we have to leave for the airport. Today I was pictured as the rebel spy. I thought my son was going to jump out of his seat when he saw me on the screen. I have more fun watching and listening to him during the ride than I do watching the screen.

:yay: I am sooooo glad you all had such a wonderful experience! We are all really sad that this year is over - seemed like it flew by, but needed today to relax. We'll be ready for next year!

Safe trip home!

What a great store, Anewvance! :thumbsup2 It is a amazing how special those moments are for our kids - which is what makes it so special for us as parents!

Awww to bad you didn't see us, we were there from 7am til 8:30p. The story about Mrs. Skywalker is true they did buy her AP and also Jay Lagaia (Captain Typho) who was the host 2 years ago came out and sang her Happy B-Day before the park opened.

On to my last report and my overall experience with SWW this year:
Got to DHS around 7:15am, son got fp for James Arnold Taylor, DD and I decided not to meet anyone and just take the last day in.
Park opened again at 8am but the secret was out, there was a large size of people waiting for that. Filmed the whole Stormtrooper spiel and will edit the video and post later on. Rode ST with no wait, grabbed FP for it for later. Went to Jabba's Hutt to see what they had on sale, and all the SWW 2011 logo t-shorts and mugs, glasses, shot glasses were on sale. Asked about CM discount on top of that and in fact it was available, so decided to wait for my DH to get out of work to take advantage of that (he works at backlot tour).
On to the shows, the plan was to watch all of them again, so got in line for Behind The Force, Tom Kane is awesome as voice over, he has done plenty of commercial (scrubbing bubbles, walmart, voice of the Oscars) Again Ashley, James and Tom did a great show. Grabbed lunch. In line for the second Behind the Force, same show, nothing special was presented to Ashley as they did last year for her last show. In line for Stars of the Saga, Ray Park opened the show pretend playing his guitar and dancing around, really funny. Peter Mayhew even though he had knee surgery recently said that he wouldn't miss SWW for anything (he has come every year since it began) Class act. After that couldn't take standing in line again for Visit to the Maul, so went back on ST with our FP, rode again with another set we picked up, and a CM friend of ours gave us 3 more FP but we gave them away. Went to Obi Wan and Beyond recorded the whole show and will post later.
Grabbed a snack and headed over to the Hat Stage to see PMC, my DD went to Jabba's to say goodbye to Ashley who was signing t-shirts from Her Universe, my DD was last in line, and they talked for abit about SWW and up coming Celebration VI and then Ashley gave her 3 more fp for ST which we also gave away. Then we got our bench in front of the AIE diamond vision to watch Hoopla. Still don't understand why people can sit and stay seated with no problem in front of the screen but have to stand in front of the stage. Talked to a manager of the event that started years ago at the info desk and we have gotten to know well; fun to see how some CM climb the Disney ladder; and he said that they can't ask for people to sit down, and that they had considered doing Hoopla inside the Indiana Jones theater but the plaza in front of the Hat holds more people.
So my final observations:
Celeb Fp. hard issue for many this year, but I think it's fair for everyone, as I saw people coming in at 8am still being able to grab a fp for someone, when before they were all gone by 6am. New process seems to have worked out well, and I doubt we will see it going to how it was in the past.
Star Tours: awesome ride, the randomness of it makes it fun to ride again and again. will it affect the TSM morning madness? I doubt it, each ST simulator holds 40 people opossed to the 12 people that TSM hold so I would still grab a FP for TSM first and then go ride ST.
Characters: same as last year, and still , how hard is it to build a little canopy for them? 90% of them were in direct sunlight, I just never understand that. I would walk past poor Amidala and cringe. :confused3
Shows: fun, fun,fun and easy way to get out of the heat for 30min. Favorite one was JAT show, he is brilliant.
Merchandise: not at all impressed. I didn't really like this years logo and it was only on a couple of items, they didn't even make the baseball cap as they've done in the past. Still got 2 t-shirts because they were on sale plus my DH CM discount of 20%. The tent was a big plus, big space and awesome A/C
Hoopla: better now that there's more space, still needs improvement, the theme this year didn't allow for alot of choreography which is what I really enjoyed in the past (Darth Vader dancing to thriller, doing all the moves :) ) but it was still funny. Would love to meet the person that does chewbacca, he is a great dancer.
Overall I give it a B+ it's an improvement but still there's room for more.
On a side note: missed tons of the CM that worked the event in years past, even a certain CM that was mentioned a couple of pages ago, left after the second weekend because of differences with how it was being managed. Alot of CM didn't have that predisposition to help, only to follow the rules. Still a few true gems remain and I made sure to thank all of them for their hard work and dedication to this event
Until next year cyber-friends....and as always...May the Force Be With You....Always

Does anyone have any good pictures from Hyperspace Hoopla? We ended up watching it on the AI screen as my son could not see the stage so I wasnt able to get any pictures. Does anyone have any they could share so that I could put in my scrapbook? If so let me know and I will give you my email address. Thanks so much.

We had a GREAT time at SWW yesterday. It was just my dh, my almost 7 year old Star Wars FREAK and I. We were there for 15 hours but still didn't get all I had hoped for done. Got there at 7:30 and had a perfect view of the Storm Troopers opening and then high tailed it over to get him signed up for the Jedi Training, got the 2nd show of the day. In the mean time we went on our first ride of the day of Star Tours (son LOVED it) and then went back to get in line for Darth Vador.. the line was still fairly short at 8:45am and he came out at 9am. He signed Ian's light sabor which he is thrilled out. Headed back to the meeting place for Jedi training at 9:25 for the 9:45 show. Ian loved that he got to fight Ventress and he was trained by Ahsoka who I believe my little guy has quite the crush on.

We were waiting in line for Vadar at the same time! We were there in line before the line opened at 9. My son was also in the 9:45 show and fought Ventress. How cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter