Tips on travelling with a large group?

Bossy22

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, I think I have somewhat "mastered" doing DL with my family. It is is usually my wife and I, our 3 kids (9,8, and 4) and my father and mother in laws. We have been 6 times as a group (adding the youngest part way through lol). I am the Disney guru and work as a teacher. We now have 2 other families joining us next summer. We are staying at the same hotel (DI&S which I have stayed with the last 4 trips) and we are going with the plan that we can hang out as much (or as little) as we want. No pressure. That being said I know that there is better than not odds that we will be together most of the time splitting up into smaller groups here and there. Here is our group:
8 adults ranging from 67-35 as well as 9 children (10, 10, 9, 7, 7, 6, 5, 3, and 3). The older and younger kids are girls with a passle of boys in the middle as well as the youngest. I have a feeling we may spilt up into families at times, into guys and girls, etc. So what are the tips? Anything I am missing? Thanks so much for any and all advice!!!

Just that. Schedule some "group time" things like melas, shows or certain attractions but allow plenty of "free time" for everyone to splinter off and tour the parks how they would like in the groups that natural form based on common objectives. Some will want to be E-Ticket focused, some will wanna shop, some will want to take it easy and smell the roses...don't fight that. If you try and manage everyone'e expectations most including yourself will be miserable.

Have done serval larger group trips and never would have predicted the groups that formed so don't micro manage that as well. Just take s a few leaders to say "I am gonna go do this and this, tag a along if you want to join"

Yeah, you know your own family's preferences, but I think I would talk to the other families to get a feel for what kind of experience they are expecting. Who will want to ride the thrill rides, who will not. Who needs a slower pace and lots of breaks. Which adults feel the same? Grandma and/or Grandpa might enjoy doing the slower paced things with the littles, while some other adults might want to do GOTG and Screamin', etc. and can take the kids who are down for that.

You can maybe plan one day of coordinated rides like that, then other days have the family hang together, and meet up for a meal or one special ride or event, like F! or a parade.

Just a thought or two. :) Sounds like fun!

I know it's a little different planning wise but a couple years ago I was in charge of a big family trip of 14 of us to WDW as we had been 3 times in the previous few years. It was my family, my brothers family, sisters family, our mom, and a cousin. There were 6 kids ranging in age from 2 to 8. I referred to it as a "no guilt trip trip." I told them we were going for 9 nights from a Fri to a Sun and that we were staying in Fort Wilderness in the Cabins. I said we wanted them to join us and they could go the entire time or part of it and they were free to stay where ever they wanted. In the end my brother and sisters families went from Fri to Thur and stayed at the same resort, mom stayed with us and our cousin stayed at her grandparents house a few miles away. Everyone booked their own flights, though 10 of us were on the same flight down. The other 4 flew out of a different airport as it was easier and cheaper for them. Other than a couple of TS meals together, a MNSSHP party the same night, and a pic in front of the castle of the entire group everyone could do what they wanted when they wanted. I said to everyone If we want to do more together great and if we want to do less together also great. All of us had been there before except for my brothers kids so I wanted to make sure they could make there own first time magic and the rest of us could also experience our own magic. Other than the 2 meals together everyone was responsible for planning their own meals and booking FP's. Basically I did not want to be responsible for all the planning and everyone's happiness or unhappiness.

For example we all did MK the first day, but split up somewhat and met up for dinner at a TS. Another day 2 families did AK and the other did Epcot I believe, we all met up for the Hoop De Do for dinner. Another day one family did Epcot and the other 2 did HS. On the day of the Halloween party we all slept in a bit and made it a pool day before the party. Even the days that 2 families were at the same park we would do some stuff together and other stuff on our own.

In the end everyone was happy. Especially me as I could not be blamed for anything going wrong :D Though there were no real issues other then tired kids etc. We all also said if it works out time wise we would all go together again as we all still liked each other. I think by having them plan on there own for so much they didn't feel as I was trying to be the boss and run the entire trip and they felt they had ownership of the trip as well.

In the end it's all about having fun.

We only had 10, so not as large, but a wide age range as well.
We would have one thing we did together each day - breakfast or dinner or a dessert party or sometimes a ride we could all enjoy. We often would cross paths and swap kiddos based on what people were doing, but having a fixed event gave us the together-time we wanted, but also allowed everyone to make the vacation enjoyable for them.
For example, my 70-something parents loved strolling around CA and getting soup in a bread bowl and a sundae. we ran around from ride to ride. everyone was happy and when we met for dinner, we could all swap stories.

hope you find what works for your crew! have a blast!

Rule #2 for our family (We are a large group by ourselves and sometimes have other friends or family with us): Decide what you are going to do next while waiting in the queue for your current ride. So much time is wasted waiting for everyone to get off a ride and then trying to decide what to do next. This is also annoying to all the people you block while you stand in a large group at the exit of your ride.

Don't plan a bunch of stuff, go with the flow. And don't feel like you have to make everyone happy. A group that big is too tough to manage so just go with the flow.

Hey everyone, I think I have somewhat "mastered" doing DL with my family. It is is usually my wife and I, our 3 kids (9,8, and 4) and my father and mother in laws. We have been 6 times as a group (adding the youngest part way through lol). I am the Disney guru and work as a teacher. We now have 2 other families joining us next summer. We are staying at the same hotel (DI&S which I have stayed with the last 4 trips) and we are going with the plan that we can hang out as much (or as little) as we want. No pressure. That being said I know that there is better than not odds that we will be together most of the time splitting up into smaller groups here and there. Here is our group:
8 adults ranging from 67-35 as well as 9 children (10, 10, 9, 7, 7, 6, 5, 3, and 3). The older and younger kids are girls with a passle of boys in the middle as well as the youngest. I have a feeling we may spilt up into families at times, into guys and girls, etc. So what are the tips? Anything I am missing? Thanks so much for any and all advice!!!
How was your trip? How did you handle fast passes? I know fast passes are currently not a thing, but i'm planning a trip a ways out, and curious how large groups have handled them in the past. I will be going with three families, and trying to decide if everyone would book their own, or if i would take on the mammoth task of booking everyones for them

In past large groups, I acted as runner for the FP. This turned into a problem because I was also the one who knew where everything was and was the one who could make decisions. We quickly realized that if I didn't stay hydrated and rested, the entire group suffered. It actually would be much easier for me with a large group without FP because I wouldn't worry about people getting lost trying to get them 😅

In past large groups, I acted as runner for the FP. This turned into a problem because I was also the one who knew where everything was and was the one who could make decisions. We quickly realized that if I didn't stay hydrated and rested, the entire group suffered. It actually would be much easier for me with a large group without FP because I wouldn't worry about people getting lost trying to get them 😅
Yeah....I'm secretly hoping that fast passes dont return by the time of our trip. It would certainly simplify things!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter