Tips on doing WDW with friends?

I organized a trip with 8 people (4 couples- one of which was my wife and myself) for this past February.

We convened months in advance and I told them our strategies and previous park experiences- and how we like to do the parks. We then discussed their must-dos and everyone’s budget range. This included a discussion of what all we wanted to do together.

Next step we chose timeframe, hotel preference, and planned our park reservations. 3 of the 4 couples stayed on site, all booking well in advance. The 4th couple dragged their feet and booked off site for budget and availability reasons. We then strategized our 60 ADR/event bookings- did a priority list of who wanted to do what when, what we would try to book for everyone and what individuals / single couples wanted to do. We teamed up to book what we could.

Our itinerary:
Couple 1 - Sat to Sat (CBR)
Couple 2 - Sat to Thu (CBR)
Couple 3 - Sat to Sat w/2 non park days (OffSite)
Couple 4 - Mon to Sun (CBR)

We did Genie+ and would plan our priorities the night before for a 7am genie grab- since we were then up we’d just go to the park. The offsite guests had some difficulty joining us for rope drop cause they didn’t get the 30min early entry, but we would find each other as the day went on.

Sat- arrival day- no park, settled in, Disney springs, grabbed dinner off site
Sun- EPCOT (couple 1&2), Coral Reef lunch
Mon- AK (couple 1,2&3), Sanaa dinner all couples
Tues- DHS all couples, Sci fi lunch, oga’s reservation
Weds- MK all couples, Jungle Skipper Dinner
Thu- EPCOT (couple 1,3&4) rose and crown
Fri- DHS (couple 1&4), met up later with couple 3 for Sebastian’s reservation.
Sat- My wife and I alone at Epcot, we hit space 220, then met with couple 4 to hit trader sams

Coming from a big family I’m used to the group dynamic, but I have my pace and expectations- key is to set some touch points for shared experience, lay out the things you want to do and help people plan if they want to join you. I was the designated Disney Dad, and it was a bit exhausting at times. I find the ‘I’m doing this - if you wish to do that too then here is how, otherwise I’ll see you at 6p for our dinner reservation’ along with a running text chain, works best for groups of adults.

Going anywhere on vacation with friends can be a challenge unless you have similar vacation styles. OP sounds like the Disney go-go-go type and while there is nothing wrong with that, it may not be the style your friends prefer (never said how many people this would be). I would first have a discussion with those expressing an interest in going to talk about things like: 1) budget, 2) vacation styles and 3) how they like to spend their time. Then you can decide if this is going to work or your expectations are different enough to make this impractical. It would be a mistake to get to the first park and suddenly realize you have never discussed your plans, aren't all on the same page and everyone now wants to go in different directions. If it a large enough group of several people, you may want to split up at times and arrange to meet for dinner. If it is only 1-3 other people, that would be less practical.

Some people may like to do rides/shows, others want to shop and others may just want to spend time at the pool. Some of your friends may not have the stamina you apparently have to do multiple consecutive park days. Disney parks can involve MILES of walking, so if you are constantly trying to get your friends to do thing you want to do but they don't particularly enjoy, I doubt the vacation will be much fun for anyone.

I organized a trip with 8 people (4 couples- one of which was my wife and myself) for this past February.

We convened months in advance and I told them our strategies and previous park experiences- and how we like to do the parks. We then discussed their must-dos and everyone’s budget range. This included a discussion of what all we wanted to do together.

Next step we chose timeframe, hotel preference, and planned our park reservations. 3 of the 4 couples stayed on site, all booking well in advance. The 4th couple dragged their feet and booked off site for budget and availability reasons. We then strategized our 60 ADR/event bookings- did a priority list of who wanted to do what when, what we would try to book for everyone and what individuals / single couples wanted to do. We teamed up to book what we could.

Our itinerary:
Couple 1 - Sat to Sat (CBR)
Couple 2 - Sat to Thu (CBR)
Couple 3 - Sat to Sat w/2 non park days (OffSite)
Couple 4 - Mon to Sun (CBR)

We did Genie+ and would plan our priorities the night before for a 7am genie grab- since we were then up we’d just go to the park. The offsite guests had some difficulty joining us for rope drop cause they didn’t get the 30min early entry, but we would find each other as the day went on.

Sat- arrival day- no park, settled in, Disney springs, grabbed dinner off site
Sun- EPCOT (couple 1&2), Coral Reef lunch
Mon- AK (couple 1,2&3), Sanaa dinner all couples
Tues- DHS all couples, Sci fi lunch, oga’s reservation
Weds- MK all couples, Jungle Skipper Dinner
Thu- EPCOT (couple 1,3&4) rose and crown
Fri- DHS (couple 1&4), met up later with couple 3 for Sebastian’s reservation.
Sat- My wife and I alone at Epcot, we hit space 220, then met with couple 4 to hit trader sams

Coming from a big family I’m used to the group dynamic, but I have my pace and expectations- key is to set some touch points for shared experience, lay out the things you want to do and help people plan if they want to join you. I was the designated Disney Dad, and it was a bit exhausting at times. I find the ‘I’m doing this - if you wish to do that too then here is how, otherwise I’ll see you at 6p for our dinner reservation’ along with a running text chain, works best for groups of adults.
So organized! I love it. Lots of work on your part but I’m sure it paid off. Everyone was happy?

So the last time I did WDW with a friend was like, 8 years ago. Since then, I only go with my parents, extended family, or solo. I am the “planner” of the group, so I make reservations, purchasing tickets/hotels, literally everything. So basically everyone in my group doesn’t have to lift a finger.

I was supposed to do a solo trip next April, but my friends showed interest, so I figured why not make it a friend trip. But, my friends haven’t been to Disney as much as me. Maybe once or twice in their lifetime.

I think the biggest hurdle is money. Disney is an expensive vacation destination. I’m a budget Disney goer; but it’s still a lot. I could probably make it a little cheaper, but I like doing table service and stuff like that, instead of just eating chicken and fries everyday. I’m worried that they’ll want to do it “cheap” but Disney just isn’t cheap anymore. I made a spreadsheet with all the costs so maybe that will help?

I also am worried about the way I do parks. I get up at the crack of dawn, rope drop, and stay till park close. I take breaks midday. I just really like to maximize my time. Park tickets are insanely expensive, so I want to get my money’s worth. But I worry that my way of doing things it too intense for the less frequent park goer.
You need to make a decision. Do you want to visit WDW with your friends, or by yourself. If you want to visit with your friends, it is reasonable to take their preferences and budgets into account. You can still have the most influence as the planner/coordinator, but it would not be reasonable to ignore their requests/limitations. At least not if you want to maintain the relationships.

The one and only friend trip I planned was amazing. My friend just trusted me to pick all the best things and handed me her credit card essentially.

It was me and my daughter and her and her two daughters

All went well except for the unexpected:
One of her daughters was under 40” and cried while I held her when we did rider swap and also the same daughter drank some river water right before coming and had to have explosive bathroom trips during queue waits…

But other than that it was great!

You need to make a decision. Do you want to visit WDW with your friends, or by yourself. If you want to visit with your friends, it is reasonable to take their preferences and budgets into account. You can still have the most influence as the planner/coordinator, but it would not be reasonable to ignore their requests/limitations. At least not if you want to maintain the relationships.
Alright Matt, I’m not a monster who ignores what others want to do, I promise. Lol.

So I actually haven’t been to Disney for over a year, because I went with extended family and I had to slow down, and I hated it. I didn’t get as much done and that was the first time I really felt like I didn’t get my money’s worth. I’ve told them a few times that I go really hard at Disney, and I will say it again, but I’d rather go solo if they can’t keep up.
Then, I think trying to do this trip with people who have no idea at all how they might want to do WDW, not to mention no clue what a WDW trip involves, is A. VERY. BAD. IDEA.

Trust yourself and what you said about this prior trip.

Make an excuse: "Have to change plans, can't make the trip after all." Go solo, making other non-WDW plans with these friends.

I went on one friend trip in my early 20s with mixed results. it was fun but the uber planners who went to the parks annually would skip things that they felt they didn't need to do anymore, like the Tiki room (don't be that friend).
This is straight out blasphemy. Tiki Room is one of the best (and original) attractions and must be done!

But getting to the heart of the matter, we've went twice with the in-laws and it straight out KILLS me, everything is slower and takes so much more time. I also feel like I'm responsible for their happiness there so I try and focus on them and miss just being able to relax and have my usual enjoyment. It's still fun for our family and great memories, but we usually send them home and stay a few extra days to tour the way we want to tour.

We invited them because we wanted the memories and to be engaging, you have to be willing to pay the price to not go full park commando.

Last edited:
Also wanted to add, that we're planning a trip with both the in-laws and a siblings family next summer... I'm bracing for that one. (and was reading through here for any coping strategies) We're staying a week after they leave :).

I went on one friend trip in my early 20s with mixed results. it was fun but the uber planners who went to the parks annually would skip things that they felt they didn't need to do anymore, like the Tiki room (don't be that friend).

Easter is April 9 this year and you still have school districts with vacations through the end of April, so I'd aim for the sweet spot in early to mid May.

Any group trip, the key is transparency in expectations. I
So I’m the type of person who is “go go go” because I wanna do everything I can! Especially Tiki Room! Lol. I also want them to be able to experience all the things as well, since they are basically Disney first timers. They don’t get to go often, and this may be the only time they go for many years so I wanna give the full experience.

So I’m the type of person who is “go go go” because I wanna do everything I can! Especially Tiki Room! Lol. I also want them to be able to experience all the things as well, since they are basically Disney first timers. They don’t get to go often, and this may be the only time they go for many years so I wanna give the full experience.
I used to go go go when my trips were in the 3 to 4 day span, but now that we can swing 6 to 7 park days, I slow down more....well also there's that dang double stroller to push...

You need to make a decision. Do you want to visit WDW with your friends, or by yourself. If you want to visit with your friends, take their preferences and budgets into account. You can still have the most influence as the planner/coordinator...
I agree with this, even though I can tell by your response that you don't. We've been to Disney 30+ times, and I know that by the end of day 2, people hit the wall. This happened with the 20-somethings, the 30 year olds, and all us old folk, too. Doesn't matter how much planning and warning we've done, Disney done commando-style is daunting and exhausting- AND expensive, and I understanding wanting to get your money's worth, truly I do. I've also been on those vacations where I come back disappointed because we traveled with my sister/nieces and did Disney "their" way. Of course it was justification for another visit, right?

I think this is a no-win situation. I think YOU need to decide if you want to do your trip, your way, and have them tag along, or if you want to be their tour guide and show them the wonders of Disney without excessive stress. I would lay it out to them... the pace, the exhaustion, the timing, the cost... and then see where everyone stands.

So I’m totally cool with having solo outings, prefer it actually, but I’ve had situations where I wanted to do that and the rest of the group was like “we’re supposed to be spending time together!!!” I know that not everyone can keep up with me always, so I’d rather do my own thing, than either slow down my own pace or expect other people to keep up with it.

As of now, I only have 4 table service planned, one per day.
One option would be for you to go a few days before them and then have them come for a few days. This would cut their expenses way down but still give you time for some of your must do items that they may not want to spend money on.

Also wanted to add, that we're planning a trip with both the in-laws and a siblings family next summer... I'm bracing for that one. (and was reading through here for any coping strategies) We're staying a week after they leave :).
Earlier in the thread I suggested staggering arrival/departure dates to take advantage of some alone time either before or after. I'm glad you posted this, because honestly, I think this is the ultimate solution. I'm also recalling a 4 family trip we did to Mexico some years ago - we stayed in the adult's section, and arrived/left 3 days after everyone else. This gave us the perfect opportunity to do things together, a gave us default time alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter