Tips for vegetarian Disneylanders?

paintingoncelluloid

Mouseketeer
My boyfriend and I will be going to WDW, for just the second time, October 23-27. We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, and will have a car, although I think we plan to take resort transit for most things—unless you think we shouldn't! We are LA-based Disneyland AP holders, and have only visited WDW once before, in December 2014. On that trip we stayed at All Star Movies, visited Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, and had a great time!

We hope to arrive early afternoon on Monday, take a boat over to Disney Springs for dinner, then relax around the resort. We're visiting Animal Kingdom on Tuesday and made a late reservation for dinner at Jiko after the park closes. We're visiting EPCOT on Wednesday (no post-park plans yet), then going to the Halloween party on Thursday. We have a reservation for dinner during the party at Be Our Guest—we loved the meal we had there in December 2014 when it had first opened—but after listening to the latest DIS dining review, and learning of the menu changes, I think we may cancel that.

First question: We will have most of the day before the Halloween party to explore the other resorts on property (we didn't do this at all during our first trip). What would be a good itinerary for this, assuming that we are starting at POFQ and need to be at Magic Kingdom by 4? How many resorts can we realistically check out? Which should be our top priorities? We'd like to be pretty leisurely about this—at Disneyland we really enjoy relaxing with food or drink in the lobby of the Grand Californian or at the outdoor fire at the Disneyland Hotel, and really like checking out the theming details. (For reference, my favorite themed spaces at Disneyland are the Grand Californian/Grizzly Peak, Carthay Circle/Buena Vista Street, and New Orleans Square.)

Second question: Where should we eat (especially CS)? The worst thing about our previous trip was, sadly, the food. My boyfriend is 100% vegetarian, and I also prefer to eat vegetarian 90% of the time (though I will sometimes eat meat if it seems like it will be exceptional), and I think we just made some ill-informed restaurant and meal choices. The one meal we really enjoyed was our dinner at the California Grill. I've read some blog posts about vegetarian food at WDW, but since menus change so often I wanted to ask for your most up-to-date advice. I'm also hoping there are some good vegetarian items at Food & Wine?

Third question: I know enough about the differences between the parks to have booked our FP+ reservations in advance, and to budget more time for travel, but if there are other tips you have for Disneylanders going to WDW I would appreciate them so much! (Also—how do I find a resort bus map??)

Thanks so much, everyone!!

Be Our Guest dinner was decent. A bit expensive for what the vegetarian option was, but not terrible (note that the french onion supposedly used to be vegetarian and no longer is)
I wouldn't suggest it for breakfast and lunch. The vegetarian options are very limited and overlap (the quiche is available at both and not all that great imo)

Magic Kingdom - Pinocchio's has a cheese or caprese flatbread (this should be available in all the parks and it's my last resort)
Cosmic Rays has a new falafel burger that is decent. Not my favorite thing, but I also am super sensitive to spicy anything
Columbia has a hummus/broccoli slaw sandwich that is amazing
Pecos Bills can make pretty much anything on their menu vegetarian even if it's not explicitly listed

Epcot F&W-
The menu is available online, and all vegetarian options are noted. They've definitely gotten better over the past few years, though I haven't been yet this year to check anything out

DAK -
Very vegetarian friendly
For table service, Tusker House is the absolute best. Tiffins is also really good.
Satuli; Ive heard mixed reviews on whether or not the rice has fish stock, but the tofu bowl variations without the rice are delicious. Absolutely the best value. I was told the blue cheesecake is made with gelatin.

DHS -
This is my least visited park, but I know there are a few basic options (mainly pizza/flatbreads)

It's always best to ask specific questions when wondering about an item. Asking "is this vegetarian" vs "is this made with fish" will get you very different answers (and the first will be wrong)

Blogs will still be your best bet, especially for table service recommendations.
@vegandisneyworld on instagram is great and they post up live information, and Im sure there's others like them

Garden Grill is delicious! Despite not listing their vegetarian options on the menu, their vegetarian meatloaf was my favorite meal last trip.

Here are some of my other thoughts:

Le Cellier - Never had a bad meal here
Boma - Tons of vegetarian options, but IMO, does not compare in quality to my favorites. I just don't care for the offerings as much.
Ohana - Another favorite that doesn't list the options on the menu! We went last week and we had great hummus as an appetizer, bread, noodles, and a tofu stir fry.
Chef Mickey's - Fun, but only OK food and overpriced for adults only
Biergarten - Very good mac and cheese
50's Primetime Cafe - Decent food, great atmosphere
Jiko - Delicious! I just went there and it was wonderful
Sanaa- Great bread service and decent vegetarian meals. The service was also great
Citricos, California Grill, and Flying Fish - Always delicious. Ask what options they have when you get there. I was generally offered something off-menu, which was always delicious
Tiffins - We are there once and I enjoyed it
Tusker House - I always regret going here. Bad service, only OK food, and takes too much time away from the park

I do not care for Liberty Tree Tavern, Be Our Guest, or Brown Derby.

My boyfriend and I will be going to WDW, for just the second time, October 23-27. We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, and will have a car, although I think we plan to take resort transit for most things—unless you think we shouldn't! We are LA-based Disneyland AP holders, and have only visited WDW once before, in December 2014. On that trip we stayed at All Star Movies, visited Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, and had a great time!

We hope to arrive early afternoon on Monday, take a boat over to Disney Springs for dinner, then relax around the resort. We're visiting Animal Kingdom on Tuesday and made a late reservation for dinner at Jiko after the park closes. We're visiting EPCOT on Wednesday (no post-park plans yet), then going to the Halloween party on Thursday. We have a reservation for dinner during the party at Be Our Guest—we loved the meal we had there in December 2014 when it had first opened—but after listening to the latest DIS dining review, and learning of the menu changes, I think we may cancel that.

First question: We will have most of the day before the Halloween party to explore the other resorts on property (we didn't do this at all during our first trip). What would be a good itinerary for this, assuming that we are starting at POFQ and need to be at Magic Kingdom by 4? How many resorts can we realistically check out? Which should be our top priorities? We'd like to be pretty leisurely about this—at Disneyland we really enjoy relaxing with food or drink in the lobby of the Grand Californian or at the outdoor fire at the Disneyland Hotel, and really like checking out the theming details. (For reference, my favorite themed spaces at Disneyland are the Grand Californian/Grizzly Peak, Carthay Circle/Buena Vista Street, and New Orleans Square.)

Second question: Where should we eat (especially CS)? The worst thing about our previous trip was, sadly, the food. My boyfriend is 100% vegetarian, and I also prefer to eat vegetarian 90% of the time (though I will sometimes eat meat if it seems like it will be exceptional), and I think we just made some ill-informed restaurant and meal choices. The one meal we really enjoyed was our dinner at the California Grill. I've read some blog posts about vegetarian food at WDW, but since menus change so often I wanted to ask for your most up-to-date advice. I'm also hoping there are some good vegetarian items at Food & Wine?

Third question: I know enough about the differences between the parks to have booked our FP+ reservations in advance, and to budget more time for travel, but if there are other tips you have for Disneylanders going to WDW I would appreciate them so much! (Also—how do I find a resort bus map??)

Thanks so much, everyone!!
Welcome back to WDW! We were DLR AP holders for 4 years, and we are now WDW AP holders.

As far as checking out the resorts, and getting into the spirit of WDW, you may want to take the bus to MK from POFQ, and transfer to the resort monorail. From there, you can get off and check out the Contemporary, the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian resorts. CR and the Poly are 1971 originals.
CR is amazing for the architecture, the Mary Blair murals and the fact that the monorail goes right through it.
Poly is our favorite, you will probably love it! It's a Hawaiian/Polynesian themed resort and is lots of fun. You can even get a dole whip there! If you wait till after 4, you can check out the east coast version of Trader Sam's. Beautiful resort and tiki stuff everywhere!
The GF is the east coast version of GCH but with a Victorian flair. It's not as rustic and cozy as GCH but it's still quite beautiful.
To really top it off, try taking the boat from the GF back to MK instead of the monorail. The boat is great! We stayed at the Poly and ended up taking the boat most of the time because it really was fun and added a little extra magic to the trip.

as far as food, not sure? Not vegetarian. But, I would DEFINITELY not drop your BOG reservation! It is incredible, you feel like you're in the movie and the west wing is just so cool! The food is good too IMO. You definitely don't want to miss it if you've never tried it. You might want to get a FP for Enchanted Tales with Belle before or after your dinner, so you can meet the Beast and then meet Belle!

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

I've been a vegetarian since I was born (18 years now!) and have been to WDW a bunch of times, so I'd say i have a fair amount of experience. The only thing is that I have a pallet that's more on the bland side. I'm a HUGE quick service fan because of the mac and cheese. I love disney mac and cheese more than life. The black bean burgers are one of my faves, too. Restaurantasaurus in AK is a family favorite for us because of the burgers. I've never had a huge problem being a vegetarian in WDW overall, if we're thinking about eating somewhere we always make sure to double check the menu, and if worst comes to worst we order a kids meal :rotfl2:

Sneak away from the group during the 'Behind the Seeds' tour at Living with the Land.

What's the source for that? That's a huge change to state with no source given.

And yes it was vegetarian.

From a long recent post on the dining forum they got rid of the lighthouse sandwich.

Id have to go out and find the blog which I really don't have time to do in the midst of hurricane prep, but I read a report from a guest who was informed that it was now made with beef stock. Which is why I also added a note to ask specific questions - I don't trust anyone else's definition of vegetarian

And it looks like the columbia menu has changed in the past few weeks which is very unfortunate as that was the only item I would say was actually good rather than just passable in all of Magic Kigndom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter