• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for Traders Sam first timer

MannyTide305

Earning My Ears
Hello me and my girlfriend are fellow passholders but will be staying on property for the first time in our trip the second week of April. Now we plan to have resort hopping day and would like to try Trader Sams for the first time. I have been told its hard to get a table inside so wondering if you guys had tips to ensure we get the full traders Sam experience.

Thank You

I've only gone twice, showed up at least 30 minutes before opening each time and was easily able to grab a table. The bar is a little tougher since it only seats like 6 people.

I've only gone twice, showed up at least 30 minutes before opening each time and was easily able to grab a table. The bar is a little tougher since it only seats like 6 people.

When you show up 30 minutes early, do you put your name on a wait list?

When you show up 30 minutes early, do you put your name on a wait list?

Arrive at least 30 minutes before opening. They will put your name on a list. You must be present when they call your name. Seating is first come first served.

Do they call out names and let people in that way? Like reservations?

Yes. If you aren’t there other people will go in front of you. After we put our name on the list we stay in line. We don’t leave to walk around the lobby, etc.

Edited to add...I think they send a text to your phone now instead if actually calling out the name.

When we went in the past they gave out buzzers (the type they use in restaurants that light up) that worked anywhere at the resort. There's really no telling how long you will wait. It's a 1-out-1-in type policy so it just depends on whether people are having a drink and then leaving after a few minutes or if people are partying in there all evening.

Both times I’ve been there they gave out the buzzers. We waited not too long, and got in. No big deal the times I’ve been.

We were there the last week of January and received a buzzer. I think we were told it would be 1.5 hours, but it was around 50 minutes. During that time, we went and got drinks at the bar by O'Hana and shopped at the gift shop.

Yeah, they definitely text you when it’s your turn. And it’s cool if you wander around the lobby while you wait. Heck, I “pregamed” with a lapu-lapu upstairs at Tambu while I waited my turn at Trader Sam’s.

The Poly is just a great stop if you want to do a “Monorail Bar Crawl” on your resort hop day.

Be in line at least 45 minutes before opening. Once they have your name on the list, go shop, etc. Arrive back in line at least 10 minutes before opening. They will call names. If you are not there, they will text you, but let people in before you get back.
There is no assigned seating, first come first served.
One of the most fun lounges we have been at. The bartenders are awesome!

Question for those who have gone.... are there really no kids options for food? Was really interested in grabbing food and a drink there when we stay next month but I’ll be with my picky 8 year old. She would love the atmosphere but the menu I saw looked way too adventurous for her.

Question for those who have gone.... are there really no kids options for food? Was really interested in grabbing food and a drink there when we stay next month but I’ll be with my picky 8 year old. She would love the atmosphere but the menu I saw looked way too adventurous for her.
Unless it has changed recently, it’s just appetizers. Kids are only allowed in there during certain hours so they are likely assuming they’ll just order one of the non-alcoholic drinks, check out the theming, and then leave.

You could always go get something at CS either before or after.

Hi. We will be at GF in September and forgot about this option. What time does it open and does anyone know how I can see a menu of the apps. This may be so ething we do instead of a sit down dinner.

Thanks.

When we were there, saw alot of drinks poured, not a lot of food going out. It opens at 4pm, but you want to be there 3:15-3:30 at the latest to get your name on the list to get in. You go in and find a seat or table. When we entered at 4, first people left about 5:30. So if you don't get in right away, could be a long wait. No idea how crowded it is later in the night.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/polynesian-resort/trader-sams-grog-grotto/menus/

I’ve gone several times with my DS and have only ordered apps once. We typically go, have mocktails, watch the effects and antics and then eat dinner elsewhere.

I’ve gone several times with my DS and have only ordered apps once. We typically go, have mocktails, watch the effects and antics and then eat dinner elsewhere.
Sounds like a great plan, we have never been and I’m excited to check it out! Thank you!

It’s not a full service restaurant but a lounge so only appetizers are offered. Our son likes the sausage corn dog things but I don’t see them on the menu now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter