Tips for taking mom on a Disney trip?

PollyMroz

Earning My Ears
I'm planning to take my mom on trip to Disney World and looking for any advice on what people in her age range would enjoy that I may have missed on my previous trip. Ive been in recent years for a bachelorette party, girls trip and to celebrate an 18 year olds birthday. My mom is in her early 60s and super active, it has just been about 20 years since she has been on a rollercoaster and she herself isnt sure if its for her anymore. We went to Disney a few times when I was a kid but we could really only afford 1 Disney day and 1 day at another park (like universal or busch gardens), so she has only ever been to Magic Kingdom. I for sure want to take a day for each park and build in days for us to hang out and explore the resorts. I'd love to hear what others enjoy doing on a bit of a slower paced vacation. She also isnt much of a drinker so maybe any bars with good mocktail recommendations?
We've also never stayed at a Disney hotel and I want to make it a special trip so id like to stay at one. Grand Floridian would be great, but im concerned it will be a bit of a stretch with budget as i'd like to cover every part of her trip, so if anyone has any cheaper options you would recommend i'd appreciate it!

I’m also bringing my mom who is active and in her early 60s. I rented a confirmed DVC reservation to save some money. She won’t be riding any rollercoasters but those have never been her style.

Okay, I’m gonna say this in the politest manner I can without giggling out loud.

Your mom is super active in her 60s because many of us are 🙂.
Probably not made of Dresden china either.

GF hard on the budget? Consider the hotels on Crescent Lake or the mods. Great time at GF but A LOT of money for the enjoyable CL food.

Personally, I’m partial to BWI and no need to spend the extra funds on a Boardwalk view. Our stay at this hotel was courtyard and back garden view. Great for seeing aspects of EPCOT fireworks and peaceful as well. Frequently at a lower rate than BC/YC and just as nice minus Stormalong Bay that is a total small kiddo magnet. The lake is also easy access to DS via bus.

Never stayed at any of the mods but some interested us: POR and Saratoga Springs mostly due to transport options and DS accessibility. Hope this helps and have fun!

I will be 58 for my next trip in December and I want to do all the same things I did my first visit 20 years ago 😀, which is ride everything, experience everything, some of which I will find dull and some interesting but it’s not governed by age but rather the types of things that interest me normally (eg I hate museums but love animals). The only thing that concerns me about my age is the rope-drop fast walk to the first ride, I have slowed a bit.
If you do it, include all parks, have coffee/tea breaks, and have a lunch break. Explore everything.
As for hotels, at that age she knows what she likes, but look at wilderness lodge or animal kingdom lodge if you need cheaper the GF. She might enjoy Epcot for the variety so look at boardwalk or beach club, for easy walk to Epcot. If you need cheaper still, she will love riverside or French quarter.

There are a lot of shows to watch & every park has enjoyable water/boat ride (except maybe not Hollywood Studios, can't think of one there). MK has Pirates-Jungle Cruise-Small World. Epcot has the 3 Amigos, Frozen & I was really impressed with the Living With The Land ride over by Soarin', much better than it used to be & there is the Navi boat ride at AK.
I'm 72 & still love the coasters tho. The only 2 rides that I really like but won't do anymore are Tower of Terror & Splash Mtn because of the drops.

Okay, I’m gonna say this in the politest manner I can without giggling out loud.

GF hard on the budget? Consider the hotels on Crescent Lake or the mods. Great time at GF but A LOT of money for the enjoyable CL food.

Personally, I’m partial to BWI and no need to spend the extra funds on a Boardwalk view. Our stay at this hotel was courtyard and back garden view. Great for seeing aspects of EPCOT fireworks and peaceful as well. Frequently at a lower rate than BC/YC and just as nice minus Stormalong Bay that is a total small kiddo magnet. The lake is also easy access to DS via bus.

Never stayed at any of the mods but some interested us: POR and Saratoga Springs mostly due to transport options and DS accessibility. Hope this helps and have fun!
I giggled too, and not politely.

OP- when I read your first sentence I assumed mom was 90+.

I'm planning to take my mom on trip to Disney World and looking for any advice on what people in her age range would enjoy that I may have missed on my previous trip. Ive been in recent years for a bachelorette party, girls trip and to celebrate an 18 year olds birthday. My mom is in her early 60s and super active, it has just been about 20 years since she has been on a rollercoaster and she herself isnt sure if its for her anymore. We went to Disney a few times when I was a kid but we could really only afford 1 Disney day and 1 day at another park (like universal or busch gardens), so she has only ever been to Magic Kingdom. I for sure want to take a day for each park and build in days for us to hang out and explore the resorts. I'd love to hear what others enjoy doing on a bit of a slower paced vacation. She also isnt much of a drinker so maybe any bars with good mocktail recommendations?
We've also never stayed at a Disney hotel and I want to make it a special trip so id like to stay at one. Grand Floridian would be great, but im concerned it will be a bit of a stretch with budget as i'd like to cover every part of her trip, so if anyone has any cheaper options you would recommend i'd appreciate it!
I need to know what I'm doing wrong. I'm about to turn 60 and I'm still paying for and planning my youngest kids' trips.

Epcot and AK would be good choices for someone her age or older. Both have one or two thrill rides, but plenty to do otherwise. The coasters overall are relatively friendly for all ages, but maybe start her out with a less daunting one to start. Food and Wine would be a great event if you can time it right, and they have plenty of nonalcoholic options. I would look into a moderate hotel, and see how that would compare to a Deluxe. One step down but may be a good balance of price and theming. Definitely consider dining plans to help with food costs as well, and those snack credits can often be used at Epcot festival booths.

Saratoga Springs is a Deluxe Villa property (DVC), not a moderate.

Last edited:

Just put the super active piece in there because 2 of her siblings are not, which i know would significantly change the experience / recommendations. Her oldest sister however is 75ish and could run laps around the rest of us.

Thanks for the tip on the view!! I was wondering if it would be worth it at any hotels since we plan on being out most of the time!!

Just a thought, but have you looked into renting dvc points??? Never done it myself, but it’s my understanding sometimes you can save money this way, assuming the rules haven’t changed.

I giggled too, and not politely.

OP- when I read your first sentence I assumed mom was 90+.
🤷‍♀️ Just providing context. Her sister is just a couple years old and walks with a cane and her brother just had knee replacement surgery so I wouldnt describe either of them as super mobile.

Just a thought, but have you looked into renting dvc points??? Never done it myself, but it’s my understanding sometimes you can save money this way, assuming the rules haven’t changed.

this x 1000

we did this several times and now are buying into DVC ourselves.

But you can rent points from members here as well as rent already booked reservations at a very nice discount over rack rate.

There are several ways to do it, just google DVC rentals and look at "confirmed reservations". That's the easiest way, but the best cost is finding someone here renting points on the board.

I had never looked into it before but someone else mentioned it above and it looks like a significantly cheaper option!

I need to know what I'm doing wrong. I'm about to turn 60 and I'm still paying for and planning my youngest kids' trips.
If it makes you feel any better I plan on inviting my younger sister but anticipate I'll have to cover a portion of her expenses, rather than her helping pay for our mom.

I would love to help . My son (45) castmember just completed a few days for guest assistance at the Epcot Boarding zones … He mentioned how much walking everything at WDW requires !
I am almost 70 and can still go up Swiss Family Treehouse just to make sure I can still make it all the way up & down Seems I am slowing down !

So please summarize age range and needs Studio or 1 bedroom, etc…
And the time of year .
Would you also want to plan day trip to Universal too, for example.
I recommend you get statrted soon since Summer Heat and many holidays ( crowds) for July 4 Thanksgiving, Xmas Holidays , NYE plus sporting events and RunDisney events .

Renting DVC points is a great idea and can be an excellent way to stay in a Deluxe resort for less. Just be sure you understand the cancellation policy!! It is not the same as renting directly from Disney.

Super active 61 year old here but I do ride the coasters (many of the Disney ones are quite mild, like Slinky Dog and 7 dwarfs mine train)

I am looking into a DVC rental company for my 2025 solo trip. Even in March it looks like Saratoga Springs can be had for $300 a night during the week, if I can snag it. Not sure if a studio there would work for the 2 of you though. I picked up a confirmed DVC reservation last fall at GF for about $500/nt, so that was a bit more but I had always wanted to try it.

One of our new favorite resorts is the Tower at Coronado Springs. The rooms are lovely, the lobby is beautiful, you don't need to walk outside to get to restaurants, and there is a bus stop right in front of the building under a covered sidewalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter