Tips for planning last minute trip to boston

mrocco90

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are thinking of heading to Boston for the day tomorrow with out 9 year old son. We’re from Connecticut and will drive there but I have no idea how to plan it. We are thinking of doing either the aquarium or Lego discovery center and maybe eataly. Any tips on parking, good places to eat or snacks to try would be greatly appreciated!

@mrocco90 On Sunday on street parking at meters is free, if you can find a spot, in Boston. There is also a parking garage right at the Aquarium and many others near by. If you go to the Aquarium you are with in walking distance of the North End which is Boston's Italian Neighborhood. Lot's of places to eat. Pizzaria Regina in the North End is my favorite for pizza and has been open since 1926 http://www.reginapizzeria.com/north_end.html. How can you not like a places who's address is 11 1/2? You also can't go wrong with desert at either Mike's or Modern Pastry. Cannoli's to die for at both places IMO. You are usually are either a Mike's or Modern person and if you go to one you would not think of going to the other. I recommend doing a cannoli challenge and buy a couple from each and see which one you like the best. Also near the Aquarium is Quincy Market, touristy, but lot's of shops and places to eat.

The Lego Discovery Center is just North of Boston at Assembly Place in Somerville. According to the website parking is free up to 3 hours, then $1 between 3-4 hours and $2 between 4-5. After 5 it goes up quite a bit but you probably would not be there that long.

Eataly is over in the Back Bay at the Prudential Center. Again on street parking is free and there is also paid parking available at the Prudential parking garage and other lot's. I have not been to Eataly yet (I plan on it at some point) but I would pick the North End first for Italian unless you have your heart set on Eataly.

Hope that helps.

Yup. Free parking at metered spots on Sundays. If you get there fairly early in the morning you'll have no problem finding a place to park. I like outdoorsy stuff, so Charles St. near Massachusetts General Hospital is a good because it's close to the
Charles River, plus it's an easy walk to touristy places.

Eataly is fun, but very pricey. You would probably do better eating in Little Italy--the entire neighborhood has a cozy, homey feel. Boston is a great waling-around city--go in early, see if you can find a place to park near the Aquarium (or pay for the garage that's right there), and you can walk or take the T to just about any area.

P.S. You didn't ask, but we just LOVED the duck boats! They have a stand right by the aquarium. They let my DH drive while we were in the water, and he was insufferable for the rest of the day. Maybe save this for when the weather is warmer, though.

P.S. You didn't ask, but we just LOVED the duck boats! They have a stand right by the aquarium. They let my DH drive while we were in the water, and he was insufferable for the rest of the day. Maybe save this for when the weather is warmer, though.

The Ducks are "hibernating" until mid-March.

The Ducks are "hibernating" until mid-March.
Ah, that makes sense! We live in North Carolina--no hibernating here--but my oldest lives in Boston. We did the Duck Boat Tour when we were there in 5/17 for her graduation from Boston University.

Ah, that makes sense! We live in North Carolina--no hibernating here--but my oldest lives in Boston. We did the Duck Boat Tour when we were there in 5/17 for her graduation from Boston University.

We will actually start seeing them in the next few weeks out and about as they are getting ready for the season, I always say that seeing a Duck Boat in Boston is the first true sign of spring. They do Coast Guard drills etc in the Charles and need to re certify their drivers. A Duck Boat driver needs to have both a CDL and Coast Guard Captains license. They used to have a dummy made up like Paul Stanley from Kiss they used as the lifsaving dummy. It was quite funny to see.

That's hysterical! They really are fun--you get an entirely new perspective on the city of Boston, and we learned some history along the way, too. We also got to ride in the "Red Sox" boat--there may be more than one--which was the icing on the cake for my DH (who grew up in Dover, MA).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter