Tips for not getting sick on Guardians!

The last time we rode it a few weeks ago, my husband carried over a barf bag from Mission Space!!! He was mostly joking, but he does get somewhat queasy on it. (Ended up using the barf bag as a prop for the on-ride photo - such a dork!) Anyway, I've found for me, I don't follow what's going on the screens too much and don't try to twist my head this way and that to look at everything. Kind of just look straight ahead and enjoy the music. For me, it's the music and the ride itself that's fun, not the story line.

My dad always says he learned in the Army that a full stomach prevents seasickness, so I do also try to make sure I have something in my belly besides just liquid. Luckily, there's no shortage of delicious things to snack on at Epcot!

There are a couple of coasters that make me queazy. Aerosmith and Everest mainly. I tried the Ginger Ale trick after riding Guardians and it worked perfectly. Second time I picked up the bottle, had some before the ride and after and felt great all day.

Now if they only had Ginger Ale in the other parks.

A lot of the advice about looking and not moving your head given here is challenging. If you haven't ridden before, you need to try and visuallize what this ride does: Small cars all rotate as you pass through large spaces with giant LED screens showing you the story. In addition to your motion, the screens generate perceived motion. Sometimes the cars turn all the way backwards.

You won't be able to lock your eyes on the track ahead at all times. Try looking below the screens to find fixed points in the room if you can't see the track. Keep your head aligned to look there as long as possible, then find another point to lock on to whether the track or another point in the room or the next room.

Anyone ridden both this and Forbidden Journey (or other universal rides) and can tell me which was worse for motion sickness? I can do all universal rides I tried with Bonine but get a bit sick on Everest without any medicine.

Anyone ridden both this and Forbidden Journey (or other universal rides) and can tell me which was worse for motion sickness? I can do all universal rides I tried with Bonine but get a bit sick on Everest without any medicine.
I found Guardians to be much easier to handle than pretty much any of the screen rides (especially the two HP) at Universal. I can't even do the Universal rides with all of my meds and tricks, but Guardians was no problem with meclizine.

I sit in the second row of car, I just ask to be seated in an even row. It helps me to look at the person‘s head in front of me. It tricks my brain and feels like a regular rollercoaster by not focusing on the screens.
I basically always try to find a visual point of reference to focus on...and I sing/screamed to the song to get my focus on that instead of feeling nauseous! That said I've ended up in both the first row and the last row and wouldn't generally recommend that, but I think a mid row option, second row of car is a good bet!

One of the worst experiences I ever had was on the Barnstormer. I made it to the bathroom in time, but it was touch and go. Second worse experience was on 7DMT. I was fine until the cars stopped outside the Cottage, practically at the end of the track. I don't know what happened, but I was pretty messed up for a couple of hours. Didn't get sick, but just sat in FantasyLand while the rest of the family went about their day! But I LOVE BTMRR... go figure!
I realize I’m just reading this now but my family was shocked when I said I was fine on 7DMT until the EXACT spot you mentioned. I got so sick as I believe the car was moving side to side. I felt really crumby (yuk) for hours afterward and won’t ride it again. I’m not touching it even with Benadryl, Bonnie etc. (which has helped me with other rides). Nope. No 7DMT. Give me 10 Rent’s any day.

Does anyone with mild motion sickness have problems on guardians? I can ride regular roller coasters without problem, but I do struggle with screen rides/3D glasses. The worst rides for me are Remy's and Forbidden Journey at Universal (though basically all the Universal screen rides get me). I don't have a problem on FoP though. Debating if I should buy some medicine to take on our trip.

Does anyone with mild motion sickness have problems on guardians? I can ride regular roller coasters without problem, but I do struggle with screen rides/3D glasses. The worst rides for me are Remy's and Forbidden Journey at Universal (though basically all the Universal screen rides get me). I don't have a problem on FoP though. Debating if I should buy some medicine to take on our trip.
I would recommend reading through this entire thread as there are a lot of people who have shared their experiences here.

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL
A lesser-known secret to surviving Guardians is to keep your eyes on the track, rather than everything else happening around you.
For most of the ride, you can follow the track [which is usually barely visible] with your eyes to anticipate the next move. If worst comes to worst, and you can’t do anything else, close your eyes for a couple of seconds. This really helped my partner, who hates roller coasters and gets queasy fast.

I haven't done the Guardian ride. I was just in Disneyland Paris though where they have a more intense Space Mountain. I really didn't want to do it for fear of motion sickness, but DS so much wanted me to do it with him (memories of doing the one that's not nearly as intense at WDW together thru the years). I took some ginger tabs that I bought on Amazon, an hour before riding and that did the trick for me. I had purchased some Dramamine too in case I felt sick afterwards I thought I might take that-- that one can cause some drowsiness so I only wanted to take those if I needed to - like to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for a fun theme park day. I was pretty pleased with just taking the ginger tabs.

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone on here has said they’ve gotten sick after taking the motion sickness medicine wr least an hour beforehand. I am very prone to motion sickness and I typically get the patch for trips like this and haven’t had an issue. I apply it the night before we are going into the parks I would imagine Bonnie or Dramamine would have the same effect.

For all of you saying “look at the track,” I can’t imagine why you would spend the $, time and effort on this ride and not take in all that it has to offer. I get it, if you’ve taken the medicine and you still nauseous during the ride. But if you get on the ride and all you do is look at the track, it defeats the purpose.

I haven't done the Guardian ride. I was just in Disneyland Paris though where they have a more intense Space Mountain. I really didn't want to do it for fear of motion sickness, but DS so much wanted me to do it with him (memories of doing the one that's not nearly as intense at WDW together thru the years). I took some ginger tabs that I bought on Amazon, an hour before riding and that did the trick for me. I had purchased some Dramamine too in case I felt sick afterwards I thought I might take that-- that one can cause some drowsiness so I only wanted to take those if I needed to - like to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for a fun theme park day. I was pretty pleased with just taking the ginger tabs.
I'd say DLP Space Mountain is more intense than Guardians, FWIW. It's easier to track where you're going in Guardians and it never loops (I think there's also a corkscrew in SM Paris? The whole thing was a trip).

I get very sick on screen rides like FoP or Star Tours. We were there last week and I wanted to do Guardians--it was my favourite ride of the week! I started taking Bonine 2 days before, one each morning. I was fine. I didn't try to watch all the screens but was able to thoroughly enjoy the experience. I found it helped me on RnR, Runaway Railway and Everest as well. Usually I feel slightly queasy after especially EE but last week was a breeze. Never going without Bonine again!

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL
I took Bonine and did not get nauseous

That’s exactly how I felt.
Might sound stupid, but for me it was about just being sure I had something reasonable to eat 30-45 minutes before I rode. First time I rode, it was on a pretty empty stomach and I felt woozy. I've done it 4 times since with some food, and I've had zero issues. But I suppose we all have bodies that handle these things differently.
For me it was just the opposite. I’d eaten breakfast and wished I’d hadn’t. I think next time I might just have something very light and easily digestible in my stomach, and I’ll bring a barf bag just in case. That may seem dumb, but I really didn’t enjoy the ride because I was so worried I might make a mess and embarrass myself and my family!

That was last Christmas Day. I didn’t know what to expect, and I hadn’t even seen the Galaxy series, but now I have (and loved it), and the family wants me to try again, so I’d like to have a better experience next time. The only other ride I had trouble with before was Primeval Whirl, which I felt was similar (goes forward and spins at same time). And my max on Expedition Everest is two times before I start feeling a little weird. I love Mine Train and all the others.

Btw does anyone know, do people actually vomit on this ride? Or do they just feel very nauseas?

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone on here has said they’ve gotten sick after taking the motion sickness medicine wr least an hour beforehand. I am very prone to motion sickness and I typically get the patch for trips like this and haven’t had an issue. I apply it the night before we are going into the parks I would imagine Bonnie or Dramamine would have the same effect.

For all of you saying “look at the track,” I can’t imagine why you would spend the $, time and effort on this ride and not take in all that it has to offer. I get it, if you’ve taken the medicine and you still nauseous during the ride. But if you get on the ride and all you do is look at the track, it defeats the purpose.

My niece had a patch on, and almost got sick, she had to sit for quite a while afterwards.

Btw does anyone know, do people actually vomit on this ride? Or do they just feel very nauseas?
I’ve never seen anyone get sick on it (gone on five rides) but I believe there was a story as it was opening about how they needed to both 1. make sure they had barf bags ready 2. position the post-ride garbage cans so they were easier to get to if people got sick. 😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter