Tips for not getting sick on Guardians!

Look forward at the track or where your car is facing. Do not look at the screens and don't turn your head around trying to get a glimpse of the screens.
This is what I do as well. I make sure to focus ahead at the track and not looking around.

Bonine is 25mg meclizine; I order mine on Amazon. It's far cheaper than buying from Walmart or the pharmacy. I just wish it worked for me. I DOES work, for cars and airplanes. Boats? Ummm... it's OK. Disney roller coasters? Nope. But that's just me. I took 2 meclizine AND wore a scope patch and still almost died on FoP... but I can get motion sick in the bathtub or a swimming pool, so I'm not really surprised.
Oh my goodness. I hate that you have such a terrible time with motion sickness.
FoP doesn't bother me, but Guardians on the other hand, ugh so sick!

Oh my goodness. I hate that you have such a terrible time with motion sickness.
FoP doesn't bother me, but Guardians on the other hand, ugh so sick!
One of the worst experiences I ever had was on the Barnstormer. I made it to the bathroom in time, but it was touch and go. Second worse experience was on 7DMT. I was fine until the cars stopped outside the Cottage, practically at the end of the track. I don't know what happened, but I was pretty messed up for a couple of hours. Didn't get sick, but just sat in FantasyLand while the rest of the family went about their day! But I LOVE BTMRR... go figure!

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL
I just rode it for the first time yesterday and took Bonine 25mg and I was totally fine. It was more mental because so many people have been talking about it making you motion sick, that I started to feel it before I even rode it so I know it was not just the ride. I honestly felt more motion sick on Remy than I did GOTG 😂

Back in the middle ages when Mission: Space first opened and a couple of people died because of previous problems and refusing to read the warning signs, I hesitated. There were so many complaints about motion sickness that they had to put barf bags in the ride vehicles. That lead to the orange and green side separation eventually.

Because of all the concern, I hesitated to ride it for a couple of years. Then finally one day thinking, while munching on a ginormous Turkey Leg (which, BTW, tasted like ham), remembered that I had never had motion sickness in my life, so when I had my fill of Turkey/Ham leg I found the proper receptacle for the remains and went to the attraction. I generally am not a demonstrative person and keep my emotions to myself when the ride was done the first word out of my mouth was a very loud and excited "AWESOME". At that moment it became my favorite ride. Also scared the daylights out of an Asian family that I was riding with.:)

However, that said, if you are very prone to motion sickness my advice would be to just skip it. There is nothing worse then trying to enjoy things both during and after with that feeling in your gut. There are many other things to see. Of course the decision is entirely yours and hinges completely on how strong your desire is to go on Guardians. I've not ridden it but it sounds pretty awesome itself.

I rode it once and it kicked my behind. I'll avoid motion sickness in the future by not riding it. I'll be 54 in June and as I've aged I've had to realize that I can't ride things I used to without having to lay down afterwards. It doesn't really bother me. I'll just have another beverage in the World Showcase.

That's what I'd suggest too, for certain types of motion sickness, keep your head "facing" the tracks in front of you, don't try to look at the screens. By that I mean actually watch ahead of the lead vehicle and try to spot the track and just follow that.
This absolutely did not work for me on this ride. The first time I rode it, I took Dramamine and tried this and got horrible nauseous. The 2nd time, I also took Dramamine, asked to sit in the front car and looked at whatever was around me to distract me - MUCH better experience (although still not something I will ride every trip).

As someone who gets extreme motion sickness, this is what I do on some rides.
1. Take Bonine
2. Ensure you are hydrated and eat something light about an hour ahead of time
2. Chew peppermint gum while riding (like super duper pepperminty) or strong ginger chews (just don't suck on hard candy because jostling could make you choke)
3. Get two of those neck bandanas that you soak in super cold water to keep you cool. Soak it right before going on and tie one around neck and one around your wrist (coldness/cold air always helps me)
4. Look straight ahead if needed
5. When done, find some shade and sit a bit. Re-hydrate with water and another piece of the peppermint gum or ginger chew

I just find there are some rides I only do once or not at all.

We picked an early afternoon time when we knew we’d have a full belly and be hydrated and not too tired. Took Bonine hours before. And also politely asked CM to sit in front of coaster due to motion sickness. I kept my head focused forward. I had no issues during the ride. When I got off I’d say it was more of a disoriented feeling. But it quickly wore off.

It was rude of them to put stairs going down immediately after this ride to exit lol! That wasn’t fun!

Oh, and I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but on other posts a few people have sworn by motion sickness glasses on Amazon.

Just an FYI on Bonine. As a diver it is my friend but the trick is it needs time to get into your system. I take it the night before then another one the next morning then every morning after that. That way it is always in my system. I've tried not taking it the night before and can tell you it makes a difference. Or at least in 6 foot seas it does. I use the OTC strength and it doesn't make me sleepy, nothing worse than being sleepy 100 feet down in the ocean.

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL
It depends a little where you sit/sat. I had no problem riding, but my most recent ride I was in the next to last seat, which = facing backwards during the launch, then getting spun. That was more disorienting than any prior rides.

The other tip I'd say is to relax as much as possible. The ride somewhat moves to the music.

Looking forward could maybe help, or just close your eyes for a moment.

Bonine is 25mg meclizine; I order mine on Amazon. It's far cheaper than buying from Walmart or the pharmacy. I just wish it worked for me. I DOES work, for cars and airplanes. Boats? Ummm... it's OK. Disney roller coasters? Nope. But that's just me. I took 2 meclizine AND wore a scope patch and still almost died on FoP... but I can get motion sick in the bathtub or a swimming pool, so I'm not really surprised.
That's so funny... when I look at Amazon, it's twice the price as my local Kroger. I wish it was cheaper for me to get from Amazon...

II did not get sick at all on Guardians, even thought I feel queasy on many rides. I loved it, it was my favorite ride of our trip. We had the song "I ran" and I love it.
However, my son rides Mission Space Orange no problem and he felt really dizzy on Guardians... so go figure.

My motion sickness is the worst with moving backwards and I found taking bonine every morning on my park days helped significantly.

I took a Bonine last night to ride it today but I don't think it would have made me sick anyways.

Try not to miss it, it's amazing! Felt like I was just floating my way through space. We got Tears for Fears and it was perfect.

What a fun ride. Just loved it.

My best tip is to not ride it twice in a row. Last trip we got both a VQ and an ILL$ and rode it back to back. The first time was great. The second time was not...

Update on Bonine. Take it, it is your friend. First time I rode Guardians I swore I would never ride it again. I had to sit in the shade for a hour afterwards with a cool cloth and sipping water. FOP also bothers me but not as much and in the past few years EE as well.

I was just there last week. I arrived on Sat. afternoon and took Bonine that night before bed. Took another one the next morning. Took one every morning the rest of the week. My reservations for Epcot weren't until Wens so I wanted it in my system.

I rode Tron on Sunday(got the 1pm drop no problem) and didn't have any issues. Rode FOP on Monday and again, it was fine, although I will say all week this was the only ride that did make me a little woozy. I tried following just the guide the first part of the ride and that was fine but little sucker went out of the picture and I did have a time or two I had to take deep breaths. I didn't ride anything in HS that might have caused issues to test it because I'm just not a fan of MF or Star Tours, that was Tues. but I still took a Bonine that morning. Wens. rode GOTG and didn't have to focus on anything or look straight ahead or any tricks, I actually looked at everything. I got an early BG, BG 15 which was called for 9 am and did take a Bonine as usual that morning and did eat breakfast about a hour or so before I rode it. Rode EE on Thursday and had no problems, I usually have to close my eyes when it goes backwards and get a wicked headache.

The trick is to get it into your system the night before and then take it again the morning. I do this when I dive on every single trip. Even on those days when I know the seas are going to be flat or even if I'm having a non dive day in the middle of the trip, I still take it every morning and have never gotten sick. The first time I went diving in the ocean I didn't take anything because I had never been sea sick when on a boat, it was 6 foot seas and I got sick as a dog (actually proved that you can get sick in your regulator and it's o.k., they teach you that but I proved it). After that first time, no matter how high the seas or how rough the current, I have never been sick. Bonine for the win. Oh, it is the only drug that does not make me sleepy.

Bonine is my lifesaver. But, for some people it doesn’t work. You simply don’t know until you try. I take two an hour before the activity that will make me sick (like a plane). At WDW I take 2 in the morning before I leave my room.

If you feel lightheaded or dizzy sit in the bench in the exit area. Once it passes take the ELEVATORS out. Do not risk your neck on the stairs in case a little wave of it comes back. The elevators are quite large so you won’t be in anyone’s way or anything.

I take meclazine (generic Bonine) at least 30-60 minutes beforehand. I’ve never had drowsiness. I agree that the more times you ride it the less it affects you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter