Tips for navigating LAX with kids

MUDoc81

Earning My Ears
We’ve heard LAX can be challenging and hectic, however was able to get reasonably priced non-stop delta tickets for our family of 5, so we’ll be arriving on Saturday 1/19. It will be 2 adults and 3 kids ages 10,8,5. 5 hr flight from DTW. Son aged 10 has autism so can get a bit overstimulated, but will likely be excited. We’re arriving at 1030 am and looking for tips on best way to manage luggage, get to rental car pick up, food suggestions, etc. Just trying to plan ahead and set us up for success. We’re spending first few days on the coast so are not in a rush to get to parks. TIA!

Honestly, I don't find LAX to be that hectic, other than outside at the vehicle loop. The airport is compartmentalized, so if you are in a certain terminal, it feels like a smaller airport. Now, if you had to switch terminals, that can be a production! Rental cars are offsite, so just head to the outside loop and look for the shuttle signs and hop on the shuttle. Once you are away from the loop, everything is much calmer, as the streets of LA go anyway. When you return, you won't have to drive into the loop either, as a shuttle will take you back.

I just traveled alone with my 12-year-old in and out of LAX this past summer and had no issues. I was nervous as it was my first time traveling alone with one of my children but everything went smoothly. I honestly don't know why everyone says LAX is so difficult, it seemed like a typical airport to me. Granted, I didn't have to switch terminals, maybe that's why I had no issues? My entire family of 5 will be flying in and out of LAX again next month for our DL trip. LAX was much, much cheaper than Long Beach or Orange County. BTW, we arrive the same day as you! :)

I just traveled alone with my 12-year-old in and out of LAX this past summer and had no issues. I was nervous as it was my first time traveling alone with one of my children but everything went smoothly. I honestly don't know why everyone says LAX is so difficult, it seemed like a typical airport to me. Granted, I didn't have to switch terminals, maybe that's why I had no issues? My entire family of 5 will be flying in and out of LAX again next month for our DL trip. LAX was much, much cheaper than Long Beach or Orange County. BTW, we arrive the same day as you! :)
Not having to switch terminals is a huge part of making LAX better! The other major complaints are about off-site car rentals and traffic getting into or out of the airport if you hit a bad time of day.

I’ve had LAX be awesome, I’ve had it be a nightmare. Amercan is particularly problematic/confusing with remote terminals.

You sound ready! It’s just a big airport, lots of traffic but because it’s big and spread out I don’t find it to be as intense as a small airport that has too many flights making everything super congested in the terminals.

Idk what DL baggage claim is like at LAX. One trip I flew UA and there were 4 flights on one dinky baggage claim and it was crazy. If you see that I would split up and have one person take your your kids to wait nearby while the other grabs luggage.

We’re coming in on delta, so hopefully that will help. From my research there should be restaurants in the terminal to grab a quick lunch/snack and then grab baggage, catch shuttle to rental car hub. Looks like lots of traffic so that’s prob more efficient than one of us leaving to get the car while the other manages kids/luggage and waits to be picked up? Used to magic express so these logistics are a bit new to us :)

Not having to switch terminals is a huge part of making LAX better! The other major complaints are about off-site car rentals and traffic getting into or out of the airport if you hit a bad time of day.

I’ve had LAX be awesome, I’ve had it be a nightmare. Amercan is particularly problematic/confusing with remote terminals.
My home airport is O'Hare, so it also could be that I have low expectations.:rotfl2:

The traffic around the airport can be really bad. Depending on the amount of luggage you have, it might be worth it to drag it all to the rental car bus. If at possible, I would avoid having to circle around the airport for picking up the rest of the family. Definitely look into online check-in/skip the line options for your rental car. Rental car lines can be really long at LAX. I’ve had great luck with Alamo. They have very frequent buses for pick up and drop off and you can skip the line with online check in and just pick the car you want when you get off the bus.

From my research there should be restaurants in the terminal to grab a quick lunch/snack and then grab baggage

Honestly I’d rather grab a snack box on the plane than let my bags circle around the carousel. Or pack some protein bars and get food once you have your car.

Looks like lots of traffic so that’s prob more efficient than one of us leaving to get the car while the other manages kids/luggage and waits to be picked up?

I’ve encountered decent lines and wait for the shuttles. And while I don’t mind the situation at lax for shuttles, it feels like you’re in the middle of the traffic and it might be harder than necessary.

I might consider sending the better navigator and maybe one or both of the kids that don’t need carseats (maybe just the 8 year old if the older one would do better not going on the shuttle) to take the shuttle to get the car. While waiting for the shuttle that adult can be looking at howntraffox works. You drive in the driving lanes but have to move over, when there’s an opening like an on/off ramp, to the pickup lanes. You have to plan ahead. So the driver can see the markers of where you are and where they will have to move over.

And the other adult and kid(s) can wait in the baggage claim area with luggage. (There’s no real waiting areas at lax like there are at other airports)

Or all go together. You could probably make the decision on the fly if you felt like it.

LAX has historically been nightmarish if you have to connect and your connection involves changing terminals. Arriving at 1030am means you might "miss" the bulk of traffic to start.

There is a Burger King near the Avis and Budget rentals. I'd recommend hitting the road asap as most Saturdays the traffic starts getting congested in the early afternoon.

If driving yourself, take the route with the most carpool lanes: 405S-105E-605S-91E-5S.

Good luck!

Delta kind of recently moved to Terminal 3, and they don't have as many places to eat as Terminal 5 (where it used to be). I recommend that you get your luggage, and then take the shuttle to your car rental place. You'll want to go to the curb with the purple sign above it for car rental shuttles. Once you get your shuttle to the car rental and get your car you can either choose someplace close to the airport to grab a bite to eat, or someplace close to Disneyland. It will take around 45 minutes to an hour to get there. If you would like to get groceries, there is a very good Ralphs supermarket on Sepulveda going south (less than 10 minutes away, about 2 miles), and that Ralphs has an excellent selection. There is also an In N Out right be the Ralphs if your family wants to try it out. Scroll down for the map.

As a local, I use LAX often, and yes, it can be crowded, but it's not difficult to navigate through.

upload_2019-1-1_22-29-55.png

upload_2019-1-1_22-25-31.png upload_2019-1-1_22-26-5.png upload_2019-1-1_22-33-29.png

upload_2019-1-1_22-42-35.png upload_2019-1-1_22-44-24.png

I agree w/Mary Jo's advice. Just go straight to baggage claim. Don't stop at a restaurant first in the terminal unless it's to get something 'grab & go' for your kids. Then park 1 adult w/the 3 kids in 1 part of baggage claim while the other adult gets the luggage. Then you all ride on the car rental shuttle to the car rental pick up location. This eliminates the need for 1 of you to have to go back to the terminal, look for the other adult & 3 kids standing at the curb in a very busy and possibly overstimulating loud environment, potentially resulting in a melt down for your autistic child.

It's not really that LAX is hectic, it's just crowded and EVERYTHING takes forever. Baggage takes 45 min on average to come out on the carousel. Waiting on transportation shuttles takes a long time. Getting to the rental cars takes a long time. Security lines are always horrendous. It's a function of the layout of the airport combined with the endless construction happening there.

So, what you need is patience, and just know that nothing will happen quickly or efficiently.

I have 2 autistic kids so here is my advice.

If one adult and one kid (the 8 year old, or the 10 year old if he is a "helper" type like my oldest autistic son or both) can handle the luggage, have them stay behind at the carousel while the other parent goes ahead to the rental car place. Once luggage is acquired, GO TO THE RENTAL CAR PLACE TO MEET THE OTHER PARENT. Under no circumstances should the rental car driver return to the terminal. Meet at the rental car. Have the one picking up the car text the stall number and vehicle type so they can be found. This will take the least amount of time and cut down on trying to keep a large group together in a crowded situation.

Now, if your kids will need boosters, just rent them through the rental car agency so they will be ready to go when you get the car. Or, bring something inflatable like a bubble bum seat that can be carried in a carryon bag.

Do NOT plan to eat at the airport. Since you arrive at a good time, traffic wise, just plan to stop somewhere on the way to DL (I'd recommend In n Out). Or, simply pack lunch and eat on the plane. Something easy like sandwiches and fruit.

It's not really that LAX is hectic, it's just crowded and EVERYTHING takes forever. Baggage takes 45 min on average to come out on the carousel. Waiting on transportation shuttles takes a long time. Getting to the rental cars takes a long time. Security lines are always horrendous. It's a function of the layout of the airport combined with the endless construction happening there.

So, what you need is patience, and just know that nothing will happen quickly or efficiently.

I have 2 autistic kids so here is my advice.

If one adult and one kid (the 8 year old, or the 10 year old if he is a "helper" type like my oldest autistic son or both) can handle the luggage, have them stay behind at the carousel while the other parent goes ahead to the rental car place. Once luggage is acquired, GO TO THE RENTAL CAR PLACE TO MEET THE OTHER PARENT. Under no circumstances should the rental car driver return to the terminal. Meet at the rental car. Have the one picking up the car text the stall number and vehicle type so they can be found. This will take the least amount of time and cut down on trying to keep a large group together in a crowded situation.

Now, if your kids will need boosters, just rent them through the rental car agency so they will be ready to go when you get the car. Or, bring something inflatable like a bubble bum seat that can be carried in a carryon bag.

Do NOT plan to eat at the airport. Since you arrive at a good time, traffic wise, just plan to stop somewhere on the way to DL (I'd recommend In n Out). Or, simply pack lunch and eat on the plane. Something easy like sandwiches and fruit.
Out of curiousity, why not pick up the other parent back at the terminal? We arrived at 10:40pm and were thinking of doing this.

Out of curiousity, why not pick up the other parent back at the terminal? We arrived at 10:40pm and were thinking of doing this.

Because the traffic going around the terminal is horrific and the rental cars are quite a ways from the airport. It will be faster if the second parent grabs a rental shuttle and goes there than to have to potentially "circle" the terminal numerous times if you can't time the luggage retrieval to the arrival of the second parent in the rental car exactly. It takes sometimes 20+ minutes to go around the terminal one time. On the other hand, there will be several rental shuttles that you can catch. We did this last time and my husband got on a rental shuttle with our bags just as I arrived at the car rental. He was there 5 minutes later, just as I was loading up the car with our backpacks. We were on our way quickly. If I had needed to go back and get him, it would have been a good 30 minute errand.

LAX is busier during business travel times, which is before 8 and after 5. 10:30 should not be bad. I would guess your most difficult task will be finding the rental car shuttle. Ask if you can not see it

LAX is busier during business travel times, which is before 8 and after 5. 10:30 should not be bad. I would guess your most difficult task will be finding the rental car shuttle. Ask if you can not see it

They are arriving on a Saturday. It will be busy all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter