• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for having a relaxing trip?

PoohBearFamily

Mouseketeer
Hi Disney families! New here, family of six (all kids 6 & under). We're planning our first trip to WDW next year, probably in early Feb or May, attempting to avoid crowds. We'll have a baby in a stroller, and three small children. We're pretty sure we're staying off site to save $, maybe near Disney Springs to walk to some fun restaurants? So likely renting a car for the time (7-10 days).

Any tips on how to make it as stress-free and fun as possible? :) If we stay for 7-10 days, is 4 park days enough, just to see the different parks, and use the rest of the days for R&R at the hotel, or go to beach maybe? Or try to go to Disney every day? Lots of questions!

I would appreciate any help from you veteran Disney parents! Thanks so much

We find that the longer we visit, the more relaxed we are. A bonus of that is the ticket prices change dramatically and you don't pay nearly as much per day for a multi-day ticket. If you go with the mindset that you can in no way "do it all" and not try to cram too much into a day, that will help. I would not think four days is enough unless you are skipping a park or two.
Make sure everyone is well rested and eats as they usually do, within reason. With little ones, I wouldn't plan back and forth to parks if you are offsite. Also, its a ridiculous amount of walking. Little legs will tire easily and at that age we bought a stroller for our little one and used it at every park except MK, which has things closer together.
There is SO MUCH to see and do. Do your homework and look at each park to see what will appeal to your family, using fastpasses of course if they are back. Have a plan, but be flexible and toss it out if you think everyone can do another hour or has had enough.
Of course you could do a beach day if you feel like exploring but personally I wouldnt think being near DS would be something I would seek out with all of those little ones. You could spend a few hours there or dine or shop there, but for the most part we've always appreciated our meal/break time in the parks, as a time to sit and relax. DS is a lot of stores and not a ton for kids, Imo.
We like the WDW for kids books, to help them understand and prep a bit for attractions and things like the monorail and spaceship earth. That would also give you scare factors and ride details, etc.

We find that the longer we visit, the more relaxed we are. A bonus of that is the ticket prices change dramatically and you don't pay nearly as much per day for a multi-day ticket. If you go with the mindset that you can in no way "do it all" and not try to cram too much into a day, that will help. I would not think four days is enough unless you are skipping a park or two.
Make sure everyone is well rested and eats as they usually do, within reason. With little ones, I wouldn't plan back and forth to parks if you are offsite. Also, its a ridiculous amount of walking. Little legs will tire easily and at that age we bought a stroller for our little one and used it at every park except MK, which has things closer together.
There is SO MUCH to see and do. Do your homework and look at each park to see what will appeal to your family, using fastpasses of course if they are back. Have a plan, but be flexible and toss it out if you think everyone can do another hour or has had enough.
Of course you could do a beach day if you feel like exploring but personally I wouldnt think being near DS would be something I would seek out with all of those little ones. You could spend a few hours there or dine or shop there, but for the most part we've always appreciated our meal/break time in the parks, as a time to sit and relax. DS is a lot of stores and not a ton for kids, Imo.
We like the WDW for kids books, to help them understand and prep a bit for attractions and things like the monorail and spaceship earth. That would also give you scare factors and ride details, etc.

Thank you for this great advice! Maybe we'll do a few more park days since it's not much more to add on. And I'll check out the WDW for kids books!

They are great! Disney has some typical "rides" like Dumbo and the beautiful carousel , and many "attractions" like the safari ( dont miss it!) and Tom Sawyers Island. It can be tough, sometimes impossible, to try to figure out what they are from the outside. With a baby, you'll also likely use rider swap as you wont want to bring a little one on some things ( I was just thinking about the rapid ride at AK and coasters etc.)
In your free time ( ha) you can also go on the website and look at whats at each park. Rides, shows, attractions, things you may miss...

Pick a hotel with a good pool, sometimes it’s the kids favorite part of the trip
i second that you might want to take a double stroller or two umbrella strollers, we used it with kids even at age 6 and 7 . Parked most of the day, but to go from one land to the other or especially after dinner. On average you can walk from 9 - 12 miles a day !! So start practicing walking around your neighborhood several miles, Lastly, the 4pm break - get mom a coffee, kids ice cream or popcorn and just sit for a few minutes, it gets rid of the cabbies

MK really needs at least 2 days. The other parks can be done in one day especially if you are not riding the " big" rides. My kids dislike epcot so we skip it.
My kids are early riders so being at the park first thing is not an issue for us. Most parks open 45 mins before the posted time. That time is awesome because the park has way less people and it's nice and cool. Mid day plan to take your lunch at the hotel if possible. Lunch and movie in the AC does wonders for everyone...
Dont plan all your Disney days in a row if possible
Resort/ pool days inbetween are nice.
Look into dvc rental or other vacation club properties you will love the space and most have kitchens. We stay off property at Sheraton vistana I drive but a lot of people on here rent other peoples DVC so they can stay at Disney..
Check out the dvc thread for more Info on that.. or check out skyauction.com that's where I get my rooms at

Last edited:
I would suggest early May over Feb if possible. By May "season" in Florida is over and many snow birds have gone home. In addition, spring break is over and schools are not yet out in most parts of the country so your likely to have less crowded parks. Feb can also, on occasion, bring a cold snap that might make your trip less enjoyable. Especially considering your traveling with young children. If you do travel here in Feb avoid President's week at all cost. It's insanely busy.

We are a family of five, Florida residents, who has experienced many on site and off site visits. It is my opinion that both offer positive and negatives for larger families. Since you're leaning towards an off site stay and have already mastered the fact that a successful off site stay is infinitely better with a car. I would recommend a condo or home rental over a traditional hotel with your families circumstances for this particular trip. Here is why. You have a baby and three small children. Space under one roof makes life so much easier. As a mother who traveled often when my three were under 5 I can attest to the fact that most family trips in that season of life were not what one typically thinks of when they think vacation. It was basically taking my full time Momma gig on the road. (The scenery was different, but the daily job requirements were still there and in many ways more difficult because our routine was not the same.) Anything I could do to make life easier while traveling with small kiddos made life much more enjoyable while traveling. Starting with sleep. No one is happy on vacation when you have an overtired small child. Having a separate room or rooms for the children to sleep in always helped. As did a full kitchen because every meal in restaurants with littles is not always enjoyable. Being able to have a stock of their favorite snacks and easy quick meals in a full kitchen helped tremendously. We still did some meals out, but not all meals. The in-unit washer and dryer helped too. No need to come home to piles of laundry after vacation and we could pack less to take.

On site Disney offers suites and DVC units. Or you can rent DVC privately, but typically you may not cancel with private DVC rentals. Many people were burned by this when Covid hit. Regardless, even with having to pay for parking at the parks off site is bound to be more affordable.

I would suggest you do your homework and stay in a condo rental close to the parks. Bonnet Creek is as close as many onsite resorts. Windsor Hills is pretty close as well, but depending on which Disney Park your going to would be about a 10-20 minute drive. In addition, Windsor Hills is just off 192 which offers tons of dining and shopping. We have rented from several Windsor Hills owners ,but when traveling with young children I prefer mickeymousehomes.com. They are a tad more expensive, but their units are great when you have young children.

If your budget allows, I would do more days in the parks then 4. Perhaps some days only for a few hours. Go at the children's pace. Your about to see WDW though your children's eyes and I promise you it's worth every ounce of planning and restructuring on the fly because these memories are priceless.

Enjoy you vacation.

Last edited:

They are great! Disney has some typical "rides" like Dumbo and the beautiful carousel , and many "attractions" like the safari ( dont miss it!) and Tom Sawyers Island. It can be tough, sometimes impossible, to try to figure out what they are from the outside. With a baby, you'll also likely use rider swap as you wont want to bring a little one on some things ( I was just thinking about the rapid ride at AK and coasters etc.)
In your free time ( ha) you can also go on the website and look at whats at each park. Rides, shows, attractions, things you may miss...

The carousel and safari are high on my list! I'll check out rider swap. Thanks for all your tips!

Pick a hotel with a good pool, sometimes it’s the kids favorite part of the trip
i second that you might want to take a double stroller or two umbrella strollers, we used it with kids even at age 6 and 7 . Parked most of the day, but to go from one land to the other or especially after dinner. On average you can walk from 9 - 12 miles a day !! So start practicing walking around your neighborhood several miles, Lastly, the 4pm break - get mom a coffee, kids ice cream or popcorn and just sit for a few minutes, it gets rid of the cabbies

I'll make sure our hotel has a pool! So far all the hotels I've looked at have one. We have a double stroller-maybe I'll consider bringing that! I like your 4pm coffee/ice cream break idea. Thank you!

MK really needs at least 2 days. The other parks can be done in one day especially if you are not riding the " big" rides. My kids dislike epcot so we skip it.
My kids are early riders so being at the park first thing is not an issue for us. Most parks open 45 mins before the posted time. That time is awesome because the park has way less people and it's nice and cool. Mid day plan to take your lunch at the hotel if possible. Lunch and movie in the AC does wonders for everyone...
Dont plan all your Disney days in a row if possible
Resort/ pool days inbetween are nice.
Look into dvc rental or other vacation club properties you will love the space and most have kitchens. We stay off property at Sheraton vistana I drive but a lot of people on here rent other peoples DVC so they can stay at Disney..
Check out the dvc thread for more Info on that.. or check out skyauction.com that's where I get my rooms at

Great too about 45 mins early opening - I did not know that! I plan to come back mid day to relax and go back out if their temperament allows! Thanks for the tip about skyauction

I would suggest early May over Feb if possible. By May "season" in Florida is over and many snow birds have gone home. In addition, spring break is over and schools are not yet out in most parts of the country so your likely to have less crowded parks. Feb can also, on occasion, bring a cold snap that might make your trip less enjoyable. Especially considering your traveling with young children. If you do travel here in Feb avoid President's week at all cost. It's insanely busy.

We are a family of five, Florida residents, who has experienced many on site and off site visits. It is my opinion that both offer positive and negatives for larger families. Since you're leaning towards an off site stay and have already mastered the fact that a successful off site stay is infinitely better with a car. I would recommend a condo or home rental over a traditional hotel with your families circumstances for this particular trip. Here is why. You have a baby and three small children. Space under one roof makes life so much easier. As a mother who traveled often when my three were under 5 I can attest to the fact that most family trips in that season of life were not what one typically thinks of when they think vacation. It was basically taking my full time Momma gig on the road. (The scenery was different, but the daily job requirements were still there and in many ways more difficult because our routine was not the same.) Anything I could do to make life easier while traveling with small kiddos made life much more enjoyable while traveling. Starting with sleep. No one is happy on vacation when you have an overtired small child. Having a separate room or rooms for the children to sleep in always helped. As did a full kitchen because every meal in restaurants with littles is not always enjoyable. Being able to have a stock of their favorite snacks and easy quick meals in a full kitchen helped tremendously. We still did some meals out, but not all meals. The in-unit washer and dryer helped too. No need to come home to piles of laundry after vacation and we could pack less to take.

On site Disney offers suites and DVC units. Or you can rent DVC privately, but typically you may not cancel with private DVC rentals. Many people were burned by this when Covid hit. Regardless, even with having to pay for parking at the resorts off site is bound to be more affordable.

I would suggest you do your homework and stay in a condo rental close to the parks. Bonnet Creek is as close as many onsite resorts. Windsor Hills is pretty close as well, but depending on which Disney Park your going to would be about a 10-20 minute drive. In addition, Windsor Hills is just off 192 which offers tons of dining and shopping. We have rented from several Windsor Hills owners ,but when traveling with young children I prefer mickeymousehomes.com. They are a tad more expensive, but their units are great when you have young children.

If your budget allows, I would do more days in the parks then 4. Perhaps some days only for a few hours. Go at the children's pace. Your about to see WDW though your children's eyes and I promise you it's worth every ounce of planning and restructuring on the fly because these memories are priceless.

Enjoy you vacation.

Wow these are incredibly helpful tips! I do see what you mean about renting units rather than a hotel room, and if our budget allows I think we'll definitely look at that! Maybe we'll stretch it to 5-6 park days, especially since it's not much more expensive to add on days. And I think we will focus on May. Thank you SO much!

I get tickets for our entire length of stay. We usually stay 8-11 days. This way I don’t have to cram everything into my park days. This leaves for a more relaxing trip for us.

Since everyday is a park day and we don’t have to cram a lot in we mix it up. Some days we RD, midday pool break, PM park. Some days are sleep in, hit a park by noon, do a leisurely dinner and a PM park. Some days we sleep in, get breakfast, hit the pool and do a park later in the afternoon. This works out great for us. Lots of relaxing time and we get everything done.

Also it was really great with FP+. Especially with arrival and departure day. Having those 3 FP made the extra day add on worth while. I hope they bring FP back in some capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter