• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for first visit for family with young kids

Of those, I like November the best. There will be pretty good weather and Christmas decorations (at least for the later date). In the winter months the ride closures and refurbs turned me off seeing as we won't be going super often. We chose the last week of April and it was wonderful. A smudge hot sometimes but not unbearable and I don't like the heat.

I think the age difference will be negligible. One way, you save money on tickets and food for the younger child, the other way you're closer to being out of diapers.

We stayed at Bonnet Creek and loved it. Super great deal for so much space, and we were close to the parks.

Public transit is a nightmare for me. Even if we stayed on property I'd probably still rent a car. We had no trouble finding everything between signs and our phone gps.

I found Touring Plans helpful and even essential at times. I made a few personalized plans but eventually found altering their pre-made ones better. And their optimize feature was awesome - when you're in the park and your plans change the button rearranges what's left based on where you are and the reported wait times. Even just for wait times I found it better than MDE.

We found Touring Plans helpful for customizing. We had to take our son back for naps (not a stroller napper and even with nearly daily naps, he still had an epic meltdown by the last day). TP allowed me to create a morning plan (with the boy) and an afternoon plan with just his sisters. Sometimes it didn't make sense to use the standard ones because things he would enjoy were scheduled for the afternoon. It was nice to have an idea what the wait time impacts were for moving things around. That said, we used the plan a lot, but by no means did we follow it religiously. We definitely switched things up and were flexible. If you're the kind of person who feels internal pressure to stick to a plan, you might want to avoid it, but if you can treat it as a guideline, we found it very helpful.

1-When should we go? I was thinking either November or January during one of the weeks that (according to crowd calendars) are less crowded. (week of Nov 12 2016, week of Nov 28 2016, week of Jan 21 2017, week of jan 28 2017 or week of feb 4 2017). Are these weeks good options for traveling with younger kids? I was hoping that lower heat and lower crowds would be a plus? Also should I go when my kids are 2 and 5 or when they are 3 and 6?? I worry that my now 3 year old will no longer enjoy "the magic" if we wait too long. Right now he is super excited about meeting Goofy.

I think any of those weeks would be good - as for ages 2 and 5 or 3 and 6, when you go at 2 and 5 your 2 year old won't need a park ticket and eats for free at the AYCE and buffets. We took DD1 one week before she turned 3 and it was great, and we figure we saved a lot of $. And she definitely remembers it - she LOVED it! She is 4 now and we are going again, and she always says Disney World is her favorite vacation (and she's traveled a lot). FWIW, she's pretty sure that the characters are not "real" but she still loves meeting them.

2-Should we lodge on Disney property of off? Any particular recommendations would be great

I heartily recommend on property, as you will have Magical Express, EMH, and will be close enough to go back for a mid-day rest. We have done both, and find that if you can afford it, staying on property is the best. Contemporary, obvously, is great because you can walk to MK, but Boardwalk and Beach Club are also great for easy access to Epcot. We stayed at AKL before kids and usually visit at least once a trip because the restaurants are great, as are the savannas. I'm not in love with the Contemporary's theming but for the proximity to MK, it is so easy for small kids, especially if you have an early ADR or want to make EMH or rope drop. You easily save an hour each day in travel time just for the mid-day nap.

3-If we stay off property we will rent a car. If we stay on property will the bus be a nightmare with kids this age (and their strollers)? I really hate driving places that I am not familiar with and I think my husband hates it even more....but DH also hates public transit...

All strollers have to be folded on the bus - it wasn't bad with 1 kid and a small umbrella stroller but I'm a little dreading it this upcoming trip with 2 kids. BUT - I am also one to cave and take a taxi if the bus is too crowded. Even on a totally packed bus the kids and elderly get seats, so if you don't mind some standing while wrangling strollers, it's worth it. Again, this is why I recommend staying within walking distance to at least one park - it minimizes the number of buses you have to take...

4-Is "Touring Plans" a good tool? (the one associated with the Unofficial Guide) Has anyone used personalized touring plans with them (while traveling with little kids) and had success?

I've never used a touring plan, but just done a lot of research and gotten fast passes for the key attractions. If you go at a low crowd time of year I would think it's not as important. Key for us is being flexible around the non-FP attractions and being willing to take the time to let the little ones really explore something that the adults might not be so into. I think last time we spent an hour in the movie theater showing old Disney shorts on Main St. last time... Another time the wait time for Anna and Elsa was under 60 minutes so we went - and were pleasantly surprised that our 4 yo could wait so long for them.

I have been twice with my young children and highly recommend staying somewhere that you have a kitchen in your room to cook breakfasts, dinners and even pack lunches for the parks. My kids are picky eaters so it worked well for us rather than having to eat out for every meal :) You can have groceries delivered to your room -- so easy and cost effective! We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek through vrbo and loved it. It was like having your own spacious condo but with all the amenities of a resort. Plus it is within the Disney gates. Also highly recommend renting a double stroller!

1-When should we go? I was thinking either November or January during one of the weeks that (according to crowd calendars) are less crowded. (week of Nov 12 2016, week of Nov 28 2016, week of Jan 21 2017, week of jan 28 2017 or week of feb 4 2017). Are these weeks good options for traveling with younger kids? I was hoping that lower heat and lower crowds would be a plus? Also should I go when my kids are 2 and 5 or when they are 3 and 6?? I worry that my now 3 year old will no longer enjoy "the magic" if we wait too long. Right now he is super excited about meeting Goofy.

If it's your first time, I would pick a date where a special party is happening (ie. Halloween, Christmas, etc). I went once with my DH during Halloween and although it was hurricane season, the temperature wasn't very low (I come from Vancouver, BC, Canada). In fact, the weather felt just like home. LOL!
I don't think any kid will 'lose' the enjoyment of the magic that happens in Disney.. Things STILL amazed me when I went with my DH.
Do take into consideration that children under 3 gets into Disney for free (for your now 1 year old) and other perks for toddlers in the parks.

2-Should we lodge on Disney property of off? Any particular recommendations would be great

Never stayed offsite so I can't comment on that except it's MUCH cheaper. DH and I opted to stay onsite simply because of the convenience you get for transportation. It really is just get onto your flight, arrive and head towards Magical Express. Get onto the correct Magical Express bus and you are done. Check-in and luggage arrives shortly after (if it's before 10pm.. haha... our luggage took SOME time before it arrived when you arrive after 10pm).

We stayed at Coronado Springs and it has a more adult theme to it. The values have a more children orientated theme to them but it's really just personal preference. I'm thinking (for my own trip with a 1.5 year old) if I want to resort hop.

3-If we stay off property we will rent a car. If we stay on property will the bus be a nightmare with kids this age (and their strollers)? I really hate driving places that I am not familiar with and I think my husband hates it even more....but DH also hates public transit...

Again, it'll be my first time with a toddler (and stroller) too but the last time I was there, it certainly didn't seem like people were having issues with their strollers. Also was lucky enough not to see any meltdowns on the bus.

4-Is "Touring Plans" a good tool? (the one associated with the Unofficial Guide) Has anyone used personalized touring plans with them (while traveling with little kids) and had success?

I didn't use any tools last time but I certainly made a google document with all the little tips/tricks and plans so that I could re-visit and re-arrange things if needed.

Hope this helps and happy planning!!!pixiedust:

1 - low heat and lower crowds is a big plus with little ones. I would go early Nov personally - not a lot on refurb at that time and might still be warm enough for pool time.

2 - for little kids in strollers, BLT/Contemporary can't be beat for convenience. Its the only resort you can walk to MK from, which is pretty awesome when you have two kids sleeping in strollers!

3 - Bus is hit or miss. We had to ride a few times, when it was mostly empty and we were just leaving the room it was pretty easy - everything was still in the backpack, just remove kids and fold strollers and go. On the way back, it would often be very crowded and we'd have little things tucked away under the stroller, in the console, etc so getting all packed up again, folding and often standing, it was a pain. I wouldn't call it a nightmare. But it can definitely be a big pain!

4 - We used Touring Plans extensively for our trip. Before the trip, we used it quite a bit since this was our first trip with our kids and I just had no idea how much we could get in during certain timeframes, we were doing different types of attractions now, etc. My husband and I spent a night per park sorting out which attractions were priorities and trying to fit them in between arrival and lunch (and then from the 4-7 window if we were returning after naps). With little kids you have far more unexpected hiccups, so while we were in-park I used it quite a lot too. Refusal to ride, unexpected bathroom visits, kids really enjoying the fountain outside Muppets way more than any kid should...I could adjust things on the fly and figure out what we would miss to fit it in. It was most valuable for telling me if we had time to do the next thing and still make our FP or ADR times too. I have no doubt with more experience going with kids under our belt we could wing it but I really did like it very much especially for this little kid trip.

Good luck!

1 - low heat and lower crowds is a big plus with little ones. I would go early Nov personally - not a lot on refurb at that time and might still be warm enough for pool time.

2 - for little kids in strollers, BLT/Contemporary can't be beat for convenience. Its the only resort you can walk to MK from, which is pretty awesome when you have two kids sleeping in strollers!

3 - Bus is hit or miss. We had to ride a few times, when it was mostly empty and we were just leaving the room it was pretty easy - everything was still in the backpack, just remove kids and fold strollers and go. On the way back, it would often be very crowded and we'd have little things tucked away under the stroller, in the console, etc so getting all packed up again, folding and often standing, it was a pain. I wouldn't call it a nightmare. But it can definitely be a big pain!

4 - We used Touring Plans extensively for our trip. Before the trip, we used it quite a bit since this was our first trip with our kids and I just had no idea how much we could get in during certain timeframes, we were doing different types of attractions now, etc. My husband and I spent a night per park sorting out which attractions were priorities and trying to fit them in between arrival and lunch (and then from the 4-7 window if we were returning after naps). With little kids you have far more unexpected hiccups, so while we were in-park I used it quite a lot too. Refusal to ride, unexpected bathroom visits, kids really enjoying the fountain outside Muppets way more than any kid should...I could adjust things on the fly and figure out what we would miss to fit it in. It was most valuable for telling me if we had time to do the next thing and still make our FP or ADR times too. I have no doubt with more experience going with kids under our belt we could wing it but I really did like it very much especially for this little kid trip.

Good luck!

Thank you for your thoughts!
Did you find that Touring Plans was accurate? I have been testing out potential plans (just for fun!) and am not always sure if it is wise to count on their estimated wait times, etc. Obviously it won't be EXACT but just curious to know if it is close enough to use.
:)

Thank you for your thoughts!
Did you find that Touring Plans was accurate? I have been testing out potential plans (just for fun!) and am not always sure if it is wise to count on their estimated wait times, etc. Obviously it won't be EXACT but just curious to know if it is close enough to use.
:)

I found it very accurate. There were times their estimates were pretty far off from Disney's, and when I took the chance I found TP was the correct one.

I know you didn't ask this question but I would not purchase hopper tickets for a first trip. If you find you really need them then you can add them. I found that it wasted a lot of park time hopping. I planned my days so that a park like MK with long hours was then followed with a park like EPCOT or AK where we could sleep in or leave early the next day. I always found AK more relaxing than the other parks. I guess it's because there are only a few rides my niece would do and we could take our time at that park and wander around enjoying the animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter