• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for "first timers"

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
We are planning a Florida trip for January 2023, mainly Disney World but due to finances this will likely be a once in a lifetime trip so we promised our DD8 that we would do Universal because she's Harry Potter crazy, so we are tacking on two days at the end of our trip to devote to Universal.
I'd love any tips/advice. I went to Universal as a child but that was 2001 and I only vaguely remember it and I know it's vastly different now!!! will be be able to fit everything Wizarding World in over 2 days? will we have time for anything else? we also have a DD6 what kind of gentle kids rides do they have?

Check out the Universal Orlando App for a rundown of rides. To ride the Hogwarts Express, you will need park-to-park tickets.

Be aware that if you ride the Dudley Do-right flume or Popeye raft ride, you will be SOAKED. Plan accordingly. They're super fun though.

If your go with in with a plan to focus on the Wizarding World and understand that there will be tons of things you won't have time to do, than yes you can see/experience all of the Wizarding World in two days. For DD6, ET, and if the kid can handle motion simulator, Minion Mayhem. Also, there is a Dr. Suess area that's great for kids.

Reactions: AJA
If your go with in with a plan to focus on the Wizarding World and understand that there will be tons of things you won't have time to do, than yes you can see/experience all of the Wizarding World in two days. For DD6, ET, and if the kid can handle motion simulator, Minion Mayhem. Also, there is a Dr. Suess area that's great for kids.
I remember the ET ride from when I was a kid. so fun!! DH is terrified of ET 🙄 I will have to try and convince him

I'm not an expert on Universal but having been recently, I think I can help. I think you have more than enough time to do everything in the Wizarding World in 2 days.

My biggest tip is to NOT bring a large backpack. I brought a mini Kanken, this bag for reference, and it was barely able to fit in the free lockers that are provided at rides that require them. I understand that it might be hard with two kids so if you bring a bigger bag, you'll have to leave it with a non rider or buy one of the bigger lockers. Even on the Harry Potter rides such as Forbidden Journey, Hagrid's and Escape from Gringotts your bags are required to be in a locker so it's not just the big coasters.

I agree with @CAPSLOCK. The water rides will soak you to the bones. While Splash Mountain at Disney gets you a little wet, Dudley Do Right and especially Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges make you feel like you're swimming with your clothes on.

I also recommend getting lanyards for each of you to carry your park ticket/room key (if you are staying on property). You're allowed to bring the lanyards on rides that don't allow bags and you need your park ticket/room key to open the lockers. I bought a cheap lanyard off Amazon so you don't need to buy the pricy ones at the parks or Citywalk.

I remember the ET ride from when I was a kid. so fun!! DH is terrified of ET 🙄 I will have to try and convince him and yes I know Universal is a trip all in itself, The main focus of this vacation is Disney World but I can't in good faith promise DD8 "we'll do Harry Potter next time" we live in Canada, we've been saving for this trip for ages and if we ever go back it won't be while the kids are little I remember how much I loved Harry Potter when I was young and I want to be able to share that with her even if it means not seeing the rest of Universal

Just returned on Friday from our second trip in the past 8 months. I would add Jurassic Park to the rides that involve the possibility of a lot of water. The front of my hair and one half side of my clothes got soaked. If it's a cool January day, that might be miserable. You could easily put a poncho on for that ride though and minimize the amount of wetness.

The best tip for doing Harry Potter is to stay onsite and arrive for early entry. Try to avoid MLK weekend in Jan. Any other Jan time should be pretty manageable crowds. If at all possible, splurge and stay at one of the premier hotels for the Express Pass. You will get it both days (arrival and departure). Not because the lines will be horrible, but to help minimize wait times in order to maximize your time in the wizarding world areas. Every minute you don't wait in a line is time your daughter could be casting spells or just exploring the wizarding areas. You mention you are on a budget, so maybe see if you can find a used interactive wand on ebay or other site before you go. I've heard you can save a lot of money that way.

Other things for the 6 yo: the Simpsons area rides are both okay for younger ones. There is also the kids' area by ET: kiddie coaster, Dream Works character meet and greet, Curious George indoor play area (which many kids LOVE), and maybe by then the playground will be reopen. There is also the Animal Actors show that is cute for little ones. The Horror Make Up show might even be okay for her, it's more funny than scary and there were lots of little kids in there that did not seem scared. She will be able to do Transformers, Spiderman, Fast & Furious (if you decide to waste your time on that ride lol). She might also enjoy Men In Black, but be aware it does some pretty intense spinning. There is also Pteranodon Flyers in Jurassic Park area (and I think a playground there also). You could also try to catch the various parades/character mini parades in Studios that end with character photos (not sure what those little mini shows are called but they happened over by Mel's Drive In restaurant (which is where the parades begin).

Last edited:
You mention that this may be a once in a lifetime trip. My only advise would be to not feel like you have to do as much as humanly possible during your time at Disney and Universal. Make sure to slow down a little bit and enjoy the moment. Knowing that you're not going to be able to do EVERYTHING helps you appreciate and enjoy EVERYTHING that you are able to do. Have a great trip.

You mention that this may be a once in a lifetime trip. My only advise would be to not feel like you have to do as much as humanly possible during your time at Disney and Universal. Make sure to slow down a little bit and enjoy the moment. Knowing that you're not going to be able to do EVERYTHING helps you appreciate and enjoy EVERYTHING that you are able to do. Have a great trip.
thank you, I've purposely included two "do nothing" days in our plans so we can sleep in, swim and play at the resort! I'm very anxious by nature and have a tendency towards "perfectionism" and I'm working really hard to let that go

The best place to get Butterbeer is The Fountain of Fair Fortune in the Universal Studios park!! It was hidden by the bathrooms and we never had a wait. It felt like the best kept secret of the Wizarding World.
There is not best place to get Butterbeer 🤢😉

thank you, I've purposely included two "do nothing" days in our plans so we can sleep in, swim and play at the resort! I'm very anxious by nature and have a tendency towards "perfectionism" and I'm working really hard to let that go

Be aware you are going in January and you could possibly have no decent days to go swimming. January is a mixed bag.

Be aware you are going in January and you could possibly have no decent days to go swimming. January is a mixed bag.
We'll go swimming even if it's 70 lol we'll be coming from Ontario which will be blanketed in snow and probably below zero at that point in time so anything will feel nicer than that!!
if it's truly miserable we'll resort hop and explore

We'll go swimming even if it's 70 lol we'll be coming from Ontario which will be blanketed in snow and probably below zero at that point in time so anything will feel nicer than that!!
if it's truly miserable we'll resort hop and explore
We went to Disney in December once and my kids were the only ones in the pool. The lifeguards were all wearing long pants, jackets, gloves and hats and my kids were swimming. LOL

We went to Disney in December once and my kids were the only ones in the pool. The lifeguards were all wearing long pants, jackets, gloves and hats and my kids were swimming. LOL
Were the pool all heated???

Harry Potter Sections are both in both parks. As previously suggested. A Park to park pass will get you on the Hogwarts express. Also Hagrids's ride is still very popular. In Islands you have Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogriff and Hagrid's. Diagon Alley has Escape from Gringott's

You will see people doing spells. So be prepared for a wand request. On the plus side they are reusable so if you decide to go back the wand is still usable. Plus even you are not selected you will get treated if you request help to pick a wand. I prefer Diagon Alley Ollivander. It's a bigger space and the TM's are there specifically for wand picking. They are pricey but for some an absolute must. Honeyduke's is worth a visit. I prefer the Leaky Cauldron but If you have some who's picky they might prefer the Three Broomsticks. There are many versions of Butterbeer (Frozen and Ice cream are my preferred) I also highly suggest a visit to the Ice cream shop. You will find very unusual flavors. Clotted Cream, Earl grey and lavender, Chocolate Chile and there are some more normal type ice cream.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip, I would still recommend booking a UO hotel for access to early entry. All hotels get it including the more budget-friendly ones. It's essential for getting on Hagrid's without a two hour wait, and that first hour is also a nice time to do spells without huge crowds. The key for Hagrid's is to get to the gate at least 30 minutes before they open for early entry. Budget for at least one wand, they're a great part of the experience. I think park-to-park tickets are worth it to ride the Hogwarts Express, especially if you have a little one who is too small for Hagrid's and Forbidden Journey. The Seuss and Jurassic Park play areas are great for little ones. A fanny pack is the best way to secure small items on most rides while avoiding lockers. There is a lot of stuff waiting to be picked up at Lost and Found at the end of the night lost by guests like me who are used to the more gentle Disney rides. Hats, sunglasses, phones and jewelry all go flying when the rides tip and spin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter