• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for first time trip with ECV guest

ajh88

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling in October with my mom, who uses a mobility chair. We have been researching different aspects of the trip that we normally don't have to worry about - like companion restrooms and rides where she can stay in a chair or transfer to a wheelchair. She is able to transfer (such as to a wheelchair or a regular seat) but is unable to stand unassisted or walk at all (she basically has one strong leg and one leg with extensive nerve damage that will not support her).

Anyway, I would love any insights, tips, tricks, hints, etc that people have found helpful who have traveled this road before us. I want to make this trip as stress free as possible for her by knowing as much as possible before we arrive. We have an accessible room booked for her at the Poly and they are driving their accessible van, so I think transportation won't be too bad.

Thanks so much!

Here's a few tips for a first-time ECV driver:

Who to rent from is very subjective. I recommend CALLING and talking to several companies, and see which one you like best. Prior to buying my own personal ECV, I rented from Walker, but that was several years ago.

Practicing your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze!

Having said that, do take the time to practice at the Resort (or somewhere outside the Parks) with the rental, to familiarize yourself with how it stops, turns, etc.

Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that Disney's rule of One ECV, One Rider is just common sense :)

Bring a brightly colored scarf, ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit).

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed. You are not allowed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you.

Don't be surprised if you park the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when you return. The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. You will typically find it quite nearby, but if you don't, just ask any CM you see, and they will help you find it.

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that you WILL at some point find yourself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest selfie to Instagram.

Probably the hardest thing you will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses. Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride.

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. The bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* you ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

Have a Magical trip - and remember that your scooter is just a tool to let you keep up with your beautiful family, and have fun! :)

We will be traveling in October with my mom, who uses a mobility chair.

I read this to mean that your mom has a power (electric) wheelchair. If that is correct, then there are a number of rides that she can remain in the chair.

In the Magic Kingdom that includes Jungle Cruise, Small World, Ariel's Under the Sea, Pooh and Buzz. In the shows, Philharmagic and Century of Progress there is seating where she stays in the chair and you sit in seats next to her. For Dumbo and Haunted Mansion you have to transfer but there is a car with a wider door for an easier transfer that you can ask for.

In Hollywood Studios that includes Toy Store Mania, Great Movie Ride and Tower of Terror and the shows, Indiana Jones, Little Mermaid, Muppets, Beauty and the Beast and Fantasmic have wheelchair seating areas.

In Epoct the rides include Living with the Land, Figment, Ellen's Energy adventure, and the boat ride in Mexico. The movie in France, and the show in the America pavilion have wheelchair seating areas.

In Animal Kingdom, the Safari has a truck that you can stay in the chair and the Lion King and Nemo shows have wheelchair seating areas.

There may be more but these are the one I know and have used. A couple of hints - for Toy Store the wait for the wheelchair car can be long and if she can transfer you can wait less. For Buzz and Pooh, the entrance to the wheelchair car has a small raised area and my chair gets caught on it so I choose to transfer as that is easier for me and I can manage that still. For Small World and Jungle Cruise, you may be given a little card with a specific time to return to get the accessible boat.

You may know what I say here but just in case here goes:
Be careful in the parks to go to wheelchair ramps for the mobility chair. This is especially important around the castle at MK. You don't want to go over any curbs. Be careful going over any railroad tracks, too. Infact, try to avoid them even if it takes you a little longer going another way.

With the mobility chair you can use the handicap accessible areas to view the parades and fireworks depending on the park.

Certain rides don't want mobility vehicles to go through a ride queue. There should be a wheelchair available to transfer for these rides.

Some restaurants you can bring your mobility chair with you, but you need to be very careful getting in and out.

Soarin' in Epcot has an elevator you need to use to get to the ride. It's by the rest rooms near the Garden Grill restaurant.

Make sure your battery is charged through the day for your mobility chair. Not sure how long of a day you will have in the parks, but be careful you don't run out of juice. For shows, eating, parades, and fireworks you can shut off the chair to conserve your battery. Also, make sure you recharge fully each day when you get back to the resort.

:goodvibesThank you for all of the thoughtful and thorough advice! Will definitely be printing it out to add to our planner! :goodvibes

With the mobility chair you can use the handicap accessible areas to view the parades and fireworks depending on the park.

Where exactly are the HA areas for viewing the parades and fireworks specifically in the MK and in Epcot? I tried to find a map that would show them, but I guess I'm not looking in the right areas.
Also, regarding the one in Epcot for Illuminations, how far ahead of time do you need to get there? Is it ever too full so that no more people can use the HA viewing?

Most people need to get into the handicap spots at least an hour ahead if you want a front row position. They do get full up all the time; it's a small area and scooters and wheelchairs use the same place. There's a limited amount of space; so, it fills up.

In Epcot the two areas I have used for Illuminations are near Italy and England. I prefer Italy over England. For MK the two areas I have used for the parade are near the castle near the entrance to Tommorrowland and the other one is across from the Halls of President. There's no specified handicap viewing for the fireworks in MK. I think there's a few more areas and maybe someone else can chime in for both parks.

The park maps show the handicap areas with a red box and a capital P with a wheelchair.

We have slid into the HA viewing areas, at both parks, with 30 minutes to spare. Given that both events are primarily in the air (fireworks), it's hard to find a bad space. Really, I have found that the areas are most beneficial for keeping people from trampling you after the shows are over and the crowd disperses. It's amazing how people think it's okay to lean on your chair to get a break...

There is an additional area at Epcot- at the very top of the lagoon where the World Showcase begins (between Mexico and England, to the right of the ferry). At Magic Kingdom, we also use the area near the castle, across from Tomorrowland. The parks set up for the parade at least an hour in advance, so if you wander around the area you will see parts of the roped off areas that have a wheelchair symbol. Also, all the CM's are great about directing you to the accessible areas.

Also, when we were first figuring out the parks, we started to approach the CMs at the beginning of each ride and explain our needs. Because they do this every day, they're easily able to describe, or show you, what is necessary for the person in a chair to ride.

Also, there have been times when it has taken a bit of explaining for the CMs to understand exactly how much I (the able-bodied person) will need to physically assist my husband (the person with a disability). Many times people who use chairs (depending on the kind) are assumed to be physically capable- and the CMs assume they are more mobile than they actually are. Sometimes we have had to be a bit frank about the degree of disability- but, once we have been, the CMs bend over backward to help us.

If you find that you are having more difficulty than ease with respect to boarding rides, you can always go to Guest Services- sometimes they have solutions that you would not have considered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter