Tips for First Stroller-less Trip

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
Like many of you, we had not one but two Disney trips cancelled to due COVID (one to DL, another a cruise). We're now scheduled to go in October for my daughter's 7th birthday, assuming we can get park reservations ... if that system is still in place in the fall. This will be our first park trip with our kiddo WITHOUT a stroller.

We booked three nights at the Grand Californian to help reduce the amount of walking we'll be doing. On our arrival day we'll check in, have dinner at the hotel or Downtown Disney, shop, maybe swim (depending on pool hours) and head to bed early. The next day, we'll rope drop.

Our trip goals are to visit BBB (if it's an option - realize it's currently not), plus explore Galaxy's Edge and Avenger's Campus for the first time. Our daughter is tall enough to go on just about everything, aside from the Incredicoaster.

All that said, any pointers on making the first stroller-less trip a success? My husband and I both fully understand we'll need to slow down, take breaks, etc. I'm thinking we'll need to book more sit-down meals to purposely carve out "off feet" time ... and find ways to keep her occupied in the lines (we don't like the idea of giving her much, if any, screen time in the parks). Thanks in advance for the guidance!

I second the afternoon break. We've taken grandsons at ages 4, 5 and 6. Rope drop is key but an afternoon nap makes all the difference for everyone :flower:

My son at age 7 was tearing through the parks and I could barely keep up with him! :faint: We were at GCH as well, and he did not like my suggestion for a mid-day break. He hasn't taken a mid-day nap since he was 3, unless he's sick. He did, however, fall asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow every night! If he seemed to be wearing out, we did a show or took a snack break or did a long, slow ride like small world. But honestly, he had better endurance than I did, and had no problem going from rope drop to park close two days in a row. It was the adults that said we were going to take a mid-day break on the 3rd day because WE were tired, and he decided that rest time should involve going to the pool, because he wasn't tired at all and still wanted to play.

So you never know - every kid is different, and some will be just fine, and some will need the break!

I also had him carry a small backpack with his own snacks and water bottle. He loved having his own bag and added assorted treasures to it - a sticker given to him by a cast member, a napkin that said "Disneyland", etc.

We made a point to talk to our kids and tell them they need to speak up if they are tired and need a break, and we will take a break. My kids get so excited they never want to slow down. Lol. We usually took a break every couple hours regardless because my oldest gets hangry.

We kinda drilled it into their heads to make sure they speak up and it really worked well for us. Now that they are older they still speak up and ask for snack breaks or just to sit in the shade for a bit.

Have SO much fun on your trip!!!

When our kids were 7, taking an afternoon break worked out really well. Even if it was only for a couple of hours. And staying at GCH will make that really easy.

I agree with this. When we first went stroller less it was the best thing we could to go back and take a mid after noon break for at least 2 or 3 hours (sometimes a little more) and then head back to the parks. We always stayed close enough to the parks that we could do this without much extra walking.

Practice walking a lot and STANDING before the trip. Go places like the zoo where you are on your feet both walking and standing around. It’s the standing that does it, IMO. Make sure her shoes are really well-broken-in and if possible, have a couple of good pairs along to swap out each day (different pressure points).

We did Disneyland Paris for my daughter’s sixth birthday, and I kept making her do stuff in advance “so she’d be ready for Paris.” 😆 We also didn’t realize how far our hotel there was - I walked over 33,000 steps one of those days, so I can only imagine how many steps that was on her tiny legs! I think we got lucky with her stamina, but I also think the preparation definitely helped.

Good shoes. A lot of children's shoes are not made for all-day walking. Taking care of the little feet will keep everyone on the move!

Yes, this crossed my mind (for me too)! Since she's growing so much, we'll need to hold off on shoe shopping for a few months. Any recommendations for "park-approved" shoes?

But honestly, he had better endurance than I did, and had no problem going from rope drop to park close two days in a row.

WOW! I'm impressed. And, you're totally right. She may surprise us. Esp. on the first day, when everything is SO exciting.

Exactly! And standing while bored is the worst for little ones ... which is why we're brainstorming things to keep her busy in line too.

I took my DGD on many trips with just the two of us, and with other family members. She always had some small toys in her backpack to amuse herself in line. We also played games like "I Spy", and we looked for hidden Mickeys, which she got VERY good at. :) There are also some small books you can buy that have ideas of what to do in lines, and they have interesting information about every attraction queue. My best tip, though, is to avoid very long lines. We rarely got in line for an attraction if the wait time was over 20 minutes.

WOW! I'm impressed. And, you're totally right. She may surprise us. Esp. on the first day, when everything is SO exciting.

I was surprised by his endurance, too! But I think it was the adrenaline and excitement that kept him going, and like I said, we did try to pause for a sit-down show/snack from time to time. He occasionally got bored in line, but we told stories and made up games and talked about our plans to pass the time. We've had a tradition since he was 4 of taking his picture with any souvenirs he wants (and we take a picture of the price tag and the store as well), and then during waits we scroll through the photos and decide which things he really wants, and then we delete the price tag photos on the other items. He's 13 now and still likes doing that, and it helps pass the time in line.

LOVE this idea!

It has really changed how we shop on our trips! DS and I both are more careful about making purchases, and it's so fun to see the photos of him holding up the souvenirs that didn't make the cut. Plus we have pictures of him holding the things he DOES end up getting, and so we know what year he got the Chip & Dale stuffies or the Lightning McQueen playset.

And one time when the backpack he wanted wasn't in the original store when we went back to buy it, we showed the photo of the price tag to the CM, and she was able to look it up in the system and find it at a different store. She called over there and they held it for us until we got there to buy it. So having the picture of the price tag really helped out!

And one time when the backpack he wanted wasn't in the original store when we went back to buy it, we showed the photo of the price tag to the CM, and she was able to look it up in the system and find it at a different store. She called over there and they held it for us until we got there to buy it. So having the picture of the price tag really helped out!

This is brilliant. :) I wanted a t-shirt one time but didn't make up my mind right away, and a few days later in our trip I couldn't find it anywhere. Having the price tag may have helped!

love the idea of taking pictures and choosing later. We always wait till our last day before buying souveniers. But we always see and forget things we liked up until then.

love the idea of taking pictures and choosing later. We always wait till our last day before buying souveniers. But we always see and forget things we liked up until then.

I always forgot, too! And then DS knew even as a preschooler that I was very forgetful, and he was worried that I wouldn't remember if I said "let's wait and get it later." So I stumbled on this as a way to help him think about what he was spending his money on and as a way to reassure him that we would remember whatever it was he wanted. It ended up being so much fun - we talk about everything we saw and why we liked it while we look through the photos in line, and then there's the whole sense of anticipation about deciding what to get, and I just love looking back over the pictures from past trips and seeing his little face with a cheesy grin holding up all the little trinkets, even the ones that didn't get bought. He's a little more reluctant to have me take the pictures now that he's 13, but he also now insists on taking my picture with the things I like, since it's our tradition to shop this way at Disneyland.

After 4 kids I actually thought I’d miss having our stroller w/ us, but nope! I’m a minimalist. We stay at the grand a lot and sometimes head into the parks with no bags! We like to come back and take a midday swim. My youngest was always able to hang in there. Although, late nights headed back to the room we’d sometimes give him a piggy back ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter